• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
7.1

1. Aug 15, 2013
    The weakest effort in the show thus far, season 6 of Dexter pushes its way into deeper religiously inspired territory with great potential, yielding mediocre results due to its poorly casted main antagonist (his performance is cringe worthy), and weak writing plagued (no pun intended) with predictability.
    It seems as though the writers are straining to maintain the surprise effect they've achieved a few times in previous seasons by implementing one last "shock twist" that is so overused and so badly implemented it's more of a tack on than a story telling mechanic.
    Michael C. Hall's performance is our only redemptive factor remaining.
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    don't get me wrong i love Dexter and is my favourite tv show ever. michael c. hall jennifer carpenter are genius. the first seasons were masterpieces with the perfect combination of dark and fun. and the show was special because it was Different to all the others ones you have the point of view of the "bad guy" for starters a bad guy who was "in our side" so you can relate; thisdon't get me wrong i love Dexter and is my favourite tv show ever. michael c. hall jennifer carpenter are genius. the first seasons were masterpieces with the perfect combination of dark and fun. and the show was special because it was Different to all the others ones you have the point of view of the "bad guy" for starters a bad guy who was "in our side" so you can relate; this season is the start of bad writing they are trying too hard in making a polemic storyline and they lose the point, please i beg to the writer don't screw this up is a great show, put more attention to the writing!
    pd: sorry the english is not my language
  3. Apr 2, 2013
    Guest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniablyGuest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniably continues the shows decline into mediocrity.

Part of the problem lies with the overuse of these religious overtones but the largest issue is that while in its earlier seasons the writers always strived to retain some sense of plausibility making for tense viewing as Dexter Morgan kept his dark urges from his closest friends and family much of this has been eroded with each passing season. In its place cheap plot devices, that often find Dexter quickly discovering and dispatching yet another criminal that the LAPD seem to have missed or on some occasions killing people on the spur of the moment, yet still getting away with it, are becoming increasingly common. There are plenty of other examples of lazy writing, including characters constantly talking out loud to themselves just to explain things to the audience, that simply where not present when the show first hit the air.

A once great show is now really no better than the majority of other drama series on air and I have come to expect more from Dexter. If it is ever to return to being essential television once again its seventh season needs to return its sense of believability (please stop putting him in situations in which he escapes at the last minute!) and recapture what first attracted its viewers. This season’s final scene certainly hinted that the show may be willing to shake things up a little so I still hold out hope.
  4. Oct 5, 2012
    I realize I'm a bit behind on the topic, but... we don't have Showtime so I am forced to wait for the DVD's. We have watched all of the prior episodes / season... and the last thing I remember watching is Dexter's wife being killed by Trinity and him walking into the bathroom to pick up the baby off the floor that was covered in blood.

So we get the first disc for S6, pop it in, and I

So we get the first disc for S6, pop it in, and I am COMPLETELY lost. Who's the blond chick?? Why is the baby suddenly a toddler? Did I miss a season? WTH? We turned it off within the first 5 minutes because I was certain we skipped discs or possibly an entire season.
  5. May 27, 2012
    Ohh my f... god.... this must be the WORSE season of a GREAT show that use to be, long time ago, very good... now I see how **** a show can become... don't know if it's fame/money... or simply a sentiment of WTF, WATHEVER... we are all famous, and rich... let's do whatever we want...

crap... simply the BIGGEST DECLINE in a TV show QUALITY, EVER!!!!!!
  6. Feb 28, 2012
    This season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching theThis season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching the series or if it really has gone downhill, but I can say that I just didn't enjoy this season. Expand
  7. Jan 2, 2012
  8. Dec 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this Season of Dexter. Now that I have had a chance to experience every episode of this season, I can say with confidence that I didn't enjoy it very much. I could think of several shark-jumping moments around the midpoint of the season alone, and one fatal error that ruined the entire season for me. There is a scene where Dexter SEES Gellar walk into the building. With the twist of Geller being dead all along, this scene is neither addressed or padded with reasons for how he may have seen him. Hell, I would have accepted that he imagined someone else as Gellar, but attempting to fly such a blatant error under the audience's collective noses is insulting. That's just one thing I didn't like. The reasons for Deb being promoted were petty and poorly explained. Really, just to get back at LaGuerta? He didn't take into account her reckless attitude and being an emotional wreck 95% of the time? Someone that stupid deserves to have someone like Deb discover some dirty laundry. And what's worse, Batista just took her promotion sitting down. I mean, really? There's being a good sport about something, and there's being a spineless sod. Batista is the latter. The trinity killer's son reappearing in one episode was unnecessary and felt too much like padding. Did they really need to rehash that one scenario to move the season forward? At the very least, the last episode brings hope that the next season might be the last. This is an excellent idea, because it seems to me that Dexter as a series has run its course. If you're truly a fan of the show, go back and watch the first season. After doing that, watch a single episode of something in season 6. It may feel as if you're watching a completely different show. The overall feel of the show was much darker and more believable. Now it's almost family friendly watching akin to a mid-afternoon soap. Yes there are swears, but there is so much melodrama and contrived scenarios that the series loses all tension and you lose all attachment to the characters you watch on screen. I don't care how heavy of a scenario Dexter or anyone of the Miami Homicide gets into, you know they're going to live through it. Writers, throw a curve ball at the audience every so often. Please. Expand
  9. Oct 6, 2011
    There seems to be a low production value that really bothers me. The lighting seems very generic and too bright. The camera angels are boring and shaky. I felt like I was watching a day time soap.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    If there's a TV writers' version of Stockholm syndrome, Dexter is Exhibit A.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Oct 3, 2011
    After a lively and appealingly hilarious premiere, Dexter goes entirely off the rails with two episodes hobbled by clumsy victims-of-the-week and then crushed with endless repetition of the core theme.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Oct 3, 2011
    Having peaked a few seasons back in the amazing John Lithgow season, Showtime's hit Dexter at least seems to be enjoying itself as year six kicks off.