• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
7.1

1. Dec 19, 2011
    Despite a convenient, sloppy, and predictable ending, the season had some twists that were intriguing, and it thoroughly explored the minds of serial killers both religiously and personally. Although I'm still excited for the seasons to come and the show is still great at cliffhangers that make you feel obligated and excited to see future episodes, the series is not at the same calibre as it once was. For the most part it's more creative and interesting than most of television, but I can't help but compare it to the earlier seasons, which were far more clever and unpredictable than what the show is today. Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season, "Dexter" seems desperate to reclaim its daring and dark charm. And completely at a loss about how to do so. Part of the problem is the widening gap between sentimental Daddy Dexter and Dexter the calculating predator, as well as the show's increasing substitution of simple spectacle for its earlier blend of black comedy and insight into our culture's shared nightmares. I had hope for this season, scheduled to take on religion. I had looked forward to some interesting conflicts. Dexter now has a son who, as he did, witnessed the brutal slaughter of his mother, bathed in her blood. Do you send such a son to Catholic school, with its intense focus on a brutally slaughtered deity and thousands of comparably mutilated martyrs? A religion that finds salvation in the most extreme physical suffering? Well, aside from the occasional quick shot of a crucifix, the show avoids such thorny questions, focusing instead on whether Dexter "owes" Harrison religious training, even though he himself does not believe. Oh, and it dangles the idea of redemption for a few episodes but doesn't do much with it, pointlessly killing off its messenger halfway through the season. (The writers should have revisited BRIGHTON ROCK, which asks the fascinating question of whether an evil man can be redeemed despite his best efforts to damn himself.) Anyway, most of the religious conflict is the kind of angsting around I'd expect from "Brothers and Sisters." The season's rival serial killer starts out well enough, representing the twin spiritual dangers of biblical literalism and assurance of a divine mandate that justifies . . . well, anything. Not all that resonant in Dexter's universe but interesting-ish, especially if it were to push a little on the nature of ritual and the religious significance of sacrifice. Nope. Instead, we get increasingly preposterous psychologizing that takes us through several physical impossibilities and/or gross lapses in continuity, winding around until we're back at . . . redemption, with Dexter now trying to redeem a fellow serial killer. Sigh. But Dexter, the character, is at least still recognizable, while nearly every other principal has lost his or her coherence completely. Deb is the worst, though I can't decide whether it's her promotion or her sudden incestuous desire for Dexter that is less convincing. I mean, she has already dated one semi-brother-cum-serial-killer, for heaven's sake; are there really no other taboos to break? The last few seconds of the show held out hope for next season, but the show won't make a comeback without some new blood in the writer's room. Yes, both kinds. Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2011
    The season six premiere of Dexter was very funny and entertaining. I don't know if the rest of the season will be as good as the premiere, but i'm hoping for the best.
  4. Dec 19, 2011
    How can a season of a television show be reviewed before the entire season has aired? I'll never understand that. You have to view the season as a whole before juding it. You wouldn't review a book after reading the first chapter, would you?

Personally, I enjoyed this season from beginning to end. Some intriguing characters were introduced, interesting elements explored, and a serious
    shocker of an ending. The surprise of this finale compares to that of season four.

I thoroughly enjoyed this season as Dexter did indeed seem to return to his roots. I liked how they worked elements of past seasons into this one.
  5. Feb 1, 2012
    Well, since I love the Dexter series, and critics rate Homeland 1 ( which I loved too) a perfect 10, I have to rate Dexter 6 an 11, like season 5. (The first season of Dexter may have been a 15, in retrospect.) Dexter is above regular series, but it has been noticed by the mainstream, bored viewers and critics. Keep going your own way, Dexter. Don't compete with the middle masses.
  6. Nov 13, 2011
    Dexter has yet to develop or change. This season he tells killers to forgive themselves adding a new layer of criteria to his kills. But he cannot practice what he preaches. Since he feels no guilt he can't forgive himself. He is clearly a sociopath now: The risky sex, getting things "he wants", and lying and stealing. In some effect he's devolved into an emotional, self centered sociopath, where before, Harry's "code" had almost transformed him into a high level psychopath (with little risk of being discovered). I fear that since he feels no guilt for his own actions that his new philosophy may turn out to be a vanity and a hypocrisy: He still seeks out the most moral way possible to please his dark desires. Right now the only thing I've realized is how far the audience will go to empathize with a serial killer; someone with no chance of reciprocating that empathy. In order for Dexter to develop he'll have to actually change his behaviour and not just preach like his dead mechanic friend. Right now the religion and the added responsibilities of fatherhood are merely window dressing to his sociopathic mistakes, and mistakes of the writer's. Expand
  7. Oct 2, 2011
    I agree that the mainstream critics have thus far rated this opening too low. It was excellent, and the new "badies" are chillingly sinister. This looks to be an awesome season!
  8. Oct 2, 2011
    As good as ever. Ignore the mainstream critics! This is going to be an Epic season. So glad its starting now, because Breaking Bad's season ends next week. Walking Dead+Dexter = Pure TV watching goodness!
  9. Feb 28, 2012
    This season was unbelievably silly. Gone are the days where Dexter actively tries to not get caught. Now he just sort of wings it and manages to stay under the Miami Metro's radar. The only good subplot of the whole season got killed off halfway through, and while I like Colin Hanks, his part was horribly miscast. I don't know if I've just grown up since I first started watching the series or if it really has gone downhill, but I can say that I just didn't enjoy this season. Expand
  10. Dec 17, 2011
    This season has its ups and it's downs. We can all agree that season 4 was the best, but season 6 isn't bad. Don't see why it's getting scored so low. Some things in this season are very weird making me only give it a 8.
  11. Dec 19, 2011
    The season was great but final episode was a big bust. But I still loved this years season. In order of seasons I like from best to worse it have to go 1,4,2,6,5, and 3. Can't wate for 7 how will everything turn out u think??
  12. Oct 18, 2011
    It's a great show. It has great actors, a great plot, and great character development. Season 6 of Dexter is just as good as any other, and possibly even better.

That's all there is to say.
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    Guest starring Edward James Olmos and Colin Hanks Dexters sixth season finds Dexter Morgan on the hunt for a pair of serial killers, known as the Doomsday Killers, who are seemingly being inspired by stories from the Christian Bible. In fact these religious overtones are very much the theme of a season which, while not quite the train wreck some fans would want you to believe, undeniably continues the shows decline into mediocrity.

Part of the problem lies with the overuse of these religious overtones but the largest issue is that while in its earlier seasons the writers always strived to retain some sense of plausibility making for tense viewing as Dexter Morgan kept his dark urges from his closest friends and family much of this has been eroded with each passing season. In its place cheap plot devices, that often find Dexter quickly discovering and dispatching yet another criminal that the LAPD seem to have missed or on some occasions killing people on the spur of the moment, yet still getting away with it, are becoming increasingly common. There are plenty of other examples of lazy writing, including characters constantly talking out loud to themselves just to explain things to the audience, that simply where not present when the show first hit the air.

A once great show is now really no better than the majority of other drama series on air and I have come to expect more from Dexter. If it is ever to return to being essential television once again its seventh season needs to return its sense of believability (please stop putting him in situations in which he escapes at the last minute!) and recapture what first attracted its viewers. This season’s final scene certainly hinted that the show may be willing to shake things up a little so I still hold out hope.
  14. Oct 2, 2011
    The best season premiere yet. I have no idea how mainstream critics will give the fourth season of breaking bad near perfect reviews and give this mediocre ones when this show is without a doubt at least on par with, if not better, than breaking bad. The first episode gives a small preview of a few different interesting subplots that will no doubt soon be explored. I can't wait to see how the rest of the season turns out Expand
  15. Oct 6, 2011
    Great premiere. That's all I'm rating here though. At the time of this critique that's the only episode that has been on. So, really, don't be ignorant people and predictably bash on the critics. You've only seen one episode so far. The critics have seen more than that. And they've always liked Dexter. Them going from really liking the show to giving a mediocre score should at least make people wonder that maybe future episodes of this new season aren't up to par. Expand
  16. Oct 4, 2011
    This is a great show, I agree ignore the critics. Season 4 was a great one, this one should beat it for sure. The premier was great and funny, very entertaining Tv. I love it and can't wait for more!
  17. Dec 11, 2011
    The season is as good as ever. A must see. Don't believe the critic in the yellow.
  18. Jan 2, 2012
    The overall feel of the show was much darker and more believable. Now it's almost family friendly watching akin to a mid-afternoon soap. Yes there are swears, but there is so much melodrama and contrived scenarios that the series loses all tension and you lose all attachment to the characters you watch on screen.
  19. Oct 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh dear. This is not a promising start for season 6.
    It's been a year since the events of last season. I understand WHY they needed to skip a lot of time (both season 4 & 5 took place within a very short amount of time relative to each other, so a gap was needed to offset, I get it), but the way they did it caused one of the main issues with the whole episode. There was so much heavy-handed exposition (and heavy-handed is a term I will probably use repeatedly for the whole episode) that it made everything seem fake...if you have to spend most of the episode explaining what happened before the episode, then you know there's a problem! Remember the whole romance between Batista and Laguerta during seasons 4&5? Well, it's over. Whether that's a good or bad thing is purely up to the viewer, but there's no gravity given to it in the episode: They got divorced, and everything's back to the way it was before, no hard feelings or anything. Really? Such a situation is not unheard of, but it seems MORE like the writers just wanted to wash their hands of it and go a different route. In fact, it seems like they've used the large space of time between seasons to "resolve" a lot of things they didn't want to deal with this season. Quinn seems completely off the hook for Liddy's murder. Sure, Dexter helped him out by fudging the blood results at the end of the last season, but since when is a blood analysis the end-all of an investigation? Yes, it's a necessary step, but there were other implicating factors in Liddy's murder, such as the fact that Quinn had made a crapload of phone calls to Liddy right before he was killed. Well, such complicated issues won't be a problem here, they've all been swept under the rug like they never happened! Apparently to clean the slate for this season's own "issues", which apparently are going to focus on religion. Again, I am going to state how heavy handed this episode was. We've known all along that Dexter is not a religious person; remember that episode in season 5 where Dexter takes the nanny's little saint figurine and told the nanny he didn't like it, but later reconsidered it for Harrison's sake? Well, they redid that as a whole subplot here: Dexter takes Harrison to a preschool but finds out it's a Catholic preschool, so he rejects it, but later reconsiders, because it may help Harrison. Wow, Dexter, are you really going to be spinning your wheels like this, relearning the same things and never getting anywhere? I realize this is a tricky point with shows: the character needs to evolve, but if they go to far from what made them appealing in the first place then the show will collapse. But at the same time, if the character NEVER evolves, despite the various things he experiences which "open his eyes", he feels fake, almost a parody.
    Unfortunately, Dexter did feel like a parody of himself the whole episode. In fact, his first kills in the episode (where he kills two organ harvesters) were out of character for him; did he really kill them by shocking them to death? But isn't Dexter's whole thing his obsession with blood? That's why he stabs them to death! And then, he goes to a class reunion to stalk an old classmate who murdered a highschool friend (and the coincidence factor in all of this had my reality-check meter going crazy), where we get to see Dexter become "popular"...and the ghost of Harry (yes, I know it's not really Harry, just part of Dexter's psyche) actually encourages him to embrace this...which seemed COMPLETELY weird. Harry is supposed to be that part of Dexter's brain that encourages him to be safe and cautious, to blend in, not stand out, to stick to the code. If this is what's going on in Dexter's head I think he's getting mentally unstable (and keep in mind we're talking about a sociopathic murderer here). Then he ends up dancing with his old classmates (it's completely ridiculous to watch and even Michael C. Hall looks embarrassed) and playing football (yes, I know he's trying to get blood; it looks more like an excuse to get Dexter into increasingly absurd situations to get what he wants).
    There was a scene with Batista and his sister here that was just weird, and I don't even know why it was there. It wasn't interesting, it was just strange. Also, it seems like all the actors were "phoning it in," hardly any convincing dialogue at all.
    Now, having said that, it wasn't ALL bad. I'm interested to see how Laguerta's and Batista's promotions play out in the group dynamic. The appearance of this season's villains, while underwhelming, is still somewhat interesting (although why they didn't show the actual murder happening is beyond me). And finding out why Quinn had been acting weird was a relief, and kinda cool, though the ending scene with the shootout in the restaurant seemed completely random.
    Hopefully the season will pick up after a few episodes, but this was not a good start.
  20. Oct 4, 2011
    Coming off of season 5, which so many people seemed to hate, I actually enjoyed last year. I didnt like the Dexter & Lumen ending but nonetheless good season. On to this season, I really enjoyed the season premiere. I liked the humor at the high school reunion. I think the bad guys are certainly going to be interesting, and different to say the least. I thought it was overall solid and cant wait to see where its going. Expand
  21. Oct 6, 2011
    There seems to be a low production value that really bothers me. The lighting seems very generic and too bright. The camera angels are boring and shaky. I felt like I was watching a day time soap.
  22. Oct 17, 2011
    I personally think that the new season is amazing. It is definitely as good as ever, Michael C. Hall is in the first episode amazing, especially in his high school 20th anniversary reunion.
  23. Oct 19, 2011
    Dexter always seems like it will be hard to enjoy barring the majority of the cast is very unlikeable. Perhaps Michael C. Hall has the ability to overshadow his counterparts. Can't imagine the minds of the writers who develop the wild villains of Dexter and if it's an inside joke to see how many times "Deb" can say F in a season. Regardless, Dexter has continuously been one a compelling drama for six straight seasons. Expand
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    Great great last episodes of year 2011. It took some time for this rather uneven season to reach cruising speed. Yet not at the quality level of season 5, season 6 is now mature and showing very good and very promising things. Looking impatiently forward to next episodes
  25. Oct 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season of Dexter explores the theme of religion with talented guest actors and a familiar, gritty feel to it that makes it well worth your time. With the exception of Deb (and maybe Masuka), the other character arcs are put on hold in the beginning of the season to allow more time for the main plot, which remains gripping. Expand
  26. Oct 26, 2011
    Snakes in the tummy? You had me at the stitches...It inspired my "hommage" blog post today...Dizzy with pain, I turned to my fictional TV hero for help with the blood work. Please check it out and comment, for better or worse...on SinusSister.com

27. Nov 2, 2011
    Amazing season, I don't know if they are doing it on purpose but the even seasons (2,4 and now 6) are amazing, Dexter season 4 was by far the best on all dimensions and this season is shaping up to be quite as good if not better
  28. Nov 9, 2011

this guy writes some really good reviews, check it out. give it a chance!, if you like it give it a follow, and support him!
  29. Dec 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Awesome, just awesome!!
    Unbeliavable theme of the season, that mixes thriller with action, what makes the story incredibly captivating.
    C.Hall and the usual cast are good as always, and the new characters of the season like Edward James Olmos, and Colin Hanks played a beatiful job as well.
    In my opinion one of the best dexter's seasons of all, being in the second position under of the first one only.
  30. Jan 5, 2012
    Great season, not sure what all the hate is about, after 6 seasons it is still staying fresh.
    The killers are as interesting as ever, Definitely Cannot wait for season 7

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    If there's a TV writers' version of Stockholm syndrome, Dexter is Exhibit A.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Fienberg
    Oct 3, 2011
    After a lively and appealingly hilarious premiere, Dexter goes entirely off the rails with two episodes hobbled by clumsy victims-of-the-week and then crushed with endless repetition of the core theme.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Oct 3, 2011
    Having peaked a few seasons back in the amazing John Lithgow season, Showtime's hit Dexter at least seems to be enjoying itself as year six kicks off.