• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
8.3

1. Aug 7, 2014
    I'm midway through the 7th season...and it's still good..The concept of the amoral serial killer should have worn thin by now..but no..the new twists and turns in Dexter's character keep it fresh...I've even warmed to Quinn..which took a little time. The shock value is still here. The deadpan humour is still fun. The supporting cast is still top..The new baddie, Issac, is a little different from what came before, but he is more sympathetic and...boy his accent (sounds a little South African) ... Expand
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    This makes up for season 6 entirely. It is such a well rounded season. I am done with the show and i'm writing my final reviews for this show. Great season overall.
  3. Oct 19, 2013
    this seventh season of dexter the quality of the series dropped again but that does not mean it is still a good series, though the season was not so good so it had another great end.
  4. Oct 18, 2013
    I want to give this season an 8.5... but there is no such option...
    Anyways, getting to my point: I loved this season! After 2 years of disappointment, Dexter has made a comeback and got my hopes up for a terrible follow-up in season 8.
    If you want to enjoy the series, end here and pretend it ended on a good note ;D
  5. Sep 30, 2013
    good start strong first episodes (they could expand the discovering part but they rushed it ...but still passable but then too many sub story lines without a complete developing of all of them the story lost focus... also the "chemistry" explanaition is not that strong.
  6. Sep 24, 2013
    A Huge return to form after season 6. This is easily the best season along with 1 and 4. One very smart thing they did was change up the formula. After Deb finding out about Dex at the end of 6. Their relationship completely changed, and this was very well handled. But th best part of this season, Ray Stevenson as Isaak Sirko, Mob boss out for revenge. For anyone who grew wary of this show and wanted to quit i suggest not to. You'll get this season. One of the shows bests. Expand
  7. Aug 15, 2013
    Unquestionably better than season 6 though still undeniably disappointing, we're given a number of interesting plot devices though not much is happening with it all.
    First off, there's a the "tragic romance" factor without much sense of tragedy Dexter has with the new beautiful and mysterious, though dangerous and deadly Hannah Mckay, which is gag inducingly cheesy and predictable, while
    being completely uninteresting, making absolutely no sense, nor giving any sense of loss when it all comes to an inevitable end.
    Second, we're introduced to the most dangerous, lethal, and powerful villain the show has had to offer yet, who happens to be hellbent on revenge against Dexter, though nothing is done with him, and there's a sudden out of character development causing this man to come crawling to Dexter for help, who seemingly forgot about his "unstoppable" need for revenge just the day before.
    To top it all off we're still plagued with all of the old, uninteresting supporting character we never cared about in the first place who are still given far to much to do within the series.
    The one saving grace we're given other than Michael C. Hall's usual brilliant performance, is the new turn of events in which Dexter's foster sister, Debra, is now in on Dexter's secret, though her inability to live with the consequences of her actions and the actions she allows by Dexter's hand causes her great amounts of pain and inner turmoil which could potentially cause their once close relationship to be entirely severed.
    Ultimately though, it just doesn't live up to a few of its previous seasons.
  8. Jul 27, 2013
    Much better than the previous season. There are several interesting dynamics in this season. The relationship between Deb and Dexter and then the complication of Hannah is very interesting. Also this season does what the other seasons really don't do. It makes a villain seem very human. Unlike in other seasons were the big serial killers of the season were pure evil or close to pure evil both Hannah and Isaak's characters are in ways relatable and are much more morally ambiguous. Expand
  9. Jul 1, 2013
    honestly i didnt like this season and couldnt find anything markable. this season was diffrent but not good.
    i wanted to see some actions but dexter and fellas do nothing, exept debra's F-words storrytelling is garbage!
  10. May 21, 2013
    I loved the first 5 seasons of Dexter, as each one developped a new side of his personality (even if according to the man himself "he only has one level"). We got to know him as a serial killer with a dark childhood, then as an addict trying to cover his tracks. Season three saw him as a family man and loving father to be and season four trying to juggle too many roles. There were many funny moments, until the unexpected demise of innocent Rita. However, season 5, with his theme of redemption and the introduction of another innocent character was also pretty interesting. I also liked the Deb-Quinn relationship, on the same path of redemption.

Unfortunately it was downhill from there. Season 6 was risible with its Biblical killings and some of the worse investigative work ever. Not to mention the ghosts.... But this season was terrible. It lacked focus, moving from Ukrainian mob to sexy female killer to arsonist. The love stories were atrociously bad and cliche'. Once again Dexter thinks he found another serial killer who can "understand him" and love him the way he is. Of course, it does not hurt that said female killer could also be a model.

All females in Dexter are stereotype pretty, with perfect features and gorgeous bodies. Plastic girls with plastic souls, therefore perfect for Miami. So Dexter is happily in love, producing the most cringe-inducing dialogues ever. Quinn is also in love, guess what? With yet another babe, a luscious blonde stripper. Deb may (or may not) be still in love with Dexter. They all lie their way through the whole series. In fact, they lie so much that I found it difficult to keep track and then I lost interest.

I wished intensely for Dexter to get killed by Isaak, or at least for his morally revolting girlfriend to get her pretty face smashed by a baseball bat. But cheating liars don't get as much as a bruise. I wish they pulled the plug on Dexter in season 5. Serial killers should not get to live happily ever after and this story is dragging on and getting extremely repetitive. What is worse, is not even remotely funny as it used to be.
  11. Mar 22, 2013
    Rejuvenated! It may never have the unforced brilliance of Seasons 1 & 2, but this season got many things right. The story centered itself on Dexter's emotional journey once more allowing the show to immediately hit it's stride. The performances have been superlative. hair-raisingly good. Michael C. Hall wow! Jennifer Carpenter was head & shoulders above Claire Danes. Even David Zayas and Lauren Velez were great. The 2 guest stars Ray Stevenson & Yvonne Strahovski knocked it out of the park! This season deserves a 10 for the acting alone. Expand
  12. Mar 2, 2013
    Dexter jumps the shark!! This has been a great show over the years but I can't help but feel that the Dexter of Season 1-3 has become something he'd simply never would/should have. No longer meticulous and cold, he's committing murders at crime scenes, in airports. All feels a bit out of character. But regardless, it's still better than 90% of shows on TV so I recommend watching it and just turning your brain off. Expand
  13. Feb 27, 2013
    After watching all seasons and being disappointed with season 6....we are back on track now for some REAL Dexter action. This season is awesome, I'm three episodes in and can't wait to see the next one. I'm hooked again!
  14. Feb 17, 2013
    This is the first season of Dexter where I actually felt disappointed. Up until this season, I thought the show was perfect. This season felt a little disjointed. Quinn was literally without purpose towards the end of the season, Dexter felt a little too out of character, and I honestly can't stand this new love interest he has. I enjoyed the Ukrainian gangster plot, but as just things got interesting, Isaac was killed off. In all honesty it felt like the writers didn't know what they wanted to do with the story, and most of the time it didn't really feel like I was watching Dexter. A shame because I loved the series up until this point. Expand
  15. Jan 19, 2013
    One of the best seasons till date. One of the most interesting developments: Deb's relationship with her brother. She's become as important as Dexter for me. A brilliant character soooo very well played that I don´t understand why Jennifer Carpenter is not collecting emmys at home.
  16. Jan 13, 2013
    Season 7 of Dexter is probably the best season. I really liked the episodes, but than came episode 11. Dexter finally manages to do something meaningful for himself and than he messes everything up. He just destroys his own happiness. Never have I been so shocked by television or film before. I followed Dexter for 7 seasons and he really felt like a small part of me and to see him screw up so bad was heartbreaking. I never felt so sad and disappointed and angry before from something fictional and don't see how this series can end good for Dexter now. Anyway, I guess this season was really good and the actors acted really good as well if they could make me so emotional. I think the writers decision for episode 11 was cruel though, I guess their vision of life is pretty dark and depressing. Expand
  17. Jan 12, 2013
    The season premiere had me more excited than I was after watching the season 2 premiere. Here it was his sister who found him. I think it was the best episode of the show. But they couldn't capitalize on the great start and introduced subplots no one was interested in. I was a bit disappointed and left off after episode 9, and came back after a while only because I could not quit after 7 seasons. The last three episodes really redeemed the whole season somewhat, and my score jumped from 7 to 9. The show did not stop short of letting the plot get morally ambiguous. No longer is it about keeping innocent people out of it. This benefited the story. Dexter was never a show about doing what was right. The writers aren't playing safe anymore and that's good to know. Indeed it helped freshen things up. There was a kind of cliffhanger at the end. I'm most certainly coming back for more next season. Expand
  18. Jan 2, 2013
    A great season since the fourth excellent writing and acting keep it up..team Dexter :) 1.) Micheal C. Hall is excellent as always.
    2.) Guest star Ray Stevenson is steals the show.
  19. Jan 1, 2013
    Dexter season 7 takes the series on a new and different course by not having a major antagonist. However all the minor stories make the season as whole a lot better. The Dexter en Deb story is taken to a new level and ends in a phenomenal final scene in which the actors put forth one of the best performances ever which end up as epic but not over-exaggerated ending. This might be the season every Dexter fan waited for because none of the story arcs had been stalled for too long and they all felt like they contributed to the story. Expand
  20. Dec 25, 2012
    Maybe the best season along with the second! i'm really impressive with the amazing job of the writers and cast! I really recommend this season and this series to everyone.
  21. Dec 19, 2012
    I was going to write this show off after season six since I thought that the series was going nowhere and was quite boring. But I needed to watch season seven at least the first few episodes because of the big cliff hanger at the end of season six. Needless to say, I'm glad I watched the whole season because the series redeemed itself with this season.
  22. Dec 19, 2012
    After a not-so-extraordinary season 6, Dexter is back! With a bang! Courtesy to an amazing new storyline, a talented supporting cast (including Yvonne Strahovski as Hannah McKay & Ray Stevenson as Isaak Sirko), an absolutely brilliant performance by Jennifer Carpenter (definitely worth an Emmy nomination), and a perfect performance by Micheal C. Hall! Glad the show finally made these changes, and finally after the 4th season, we get to see the Dexter that we all missed! Cant wait for Season 8! Expand
  23. Dec 17, 2012
    Dexter Was able to bounce back from one terrible season and two not great ones. The show is better then ever with Hall giving his best performance in the series. And the best part is that in the end the series is left wide open for the final season.
  24. Dec 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its amazing. Season 5 was a dreadful mess, then Season 6 was much better, still wasn't the greatness as Season 4, but better. Dexter executives knew this had to be the best season or else the last remaining audience would have been alienated. I can finally now write a fair review to this season now that I've seen all 12 episodes. Season starts out where Season 6's GIANT cliffhanger left off: Debra catching Dexter killing Travis Marshall. There are 3 parts of this season. Part 1 of this season focused on Debra trying to figure out how to deal with her brother's secret, part 2 was Debra dealing with Dexter's new found love Hannah McKay (Yvonne Strahvoski of "Chuck" fame) who, by the way, was the best Dexter love interest since Rita. And part 3 was Debra trying to protect Dexter and keeping the homicide branch of Miami Metro sane and intact. Issac Zirko (played by Ray Stevenson) was simply a great antagonist for Dexter is Season 7. The way he thought he could kill Dexter, and had the best chance to do it out of all the other Dexter antagonists, IMO. The way the writers transitioned from Zirko to the final stretch of the season was seamless. It was like the start of a whole new season, and in a way it was. The season finale was an episode that many saw coming since LaGuerta found the blood slide in S7 E1, but NOBODY could have seen it happen the way it happened. Debra killing LaGuerta was easily just as shocking as last years shocker with Debra finding Dexter, and thinking about last years cliffhanger seems like ancient history compared to what happened in the Season 7 finale. I was a little disappointed in the way the season finale ended, no big cliff hanger like previous seasons, but that is seriously the only complaint I have for Season 7. Can't wait for Season 8, the final season. Should be amazing. Expand
  25. Dec 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This seventh season has a spicy tone than last season and actors like Yvonne Strahovski & Ray Stevenson are excellent, and brings a poetic touch that is sometimes lacking in dialogue with American actors. Expand
  26. Dec 12, 2012
    Definitely better than season 6, but this season loses itself trying to find a true antagonist. It's as if the writers could not decide who they wanted the villain to be.
  27. Dec 11, 2012
    Season 7 is a frustrating mixed bag. Just when you think the show will hit its stride, it falters with weak plot devices and laughable dialogue (the inner monologues have become eye-rolling groan fests). I'm a huge fan of the series, but the show is past it's expiration date.
  28. Dec 9, 2012
    In today's society, there is something more terrifying than blood and gore. The idea everyone is getting in their head that the bad guy or only half bad guy is somehow the hero. That is absolutely going to be part of the downfall of society. Believe it or not.
  29. Dec 9, 2012
    I admit I was a little worrried because after reading the plot online, It seemed like a poor season with lack of a good villain. However, after watching a few episodes and realizing that the main villaini is played by Ray Stevenson, All my worries went away. Only two episodes in but it has been pretty solid so far.
  30. Dec 3, 2012
    The race to the end is on for Dexter Morgan in Season 7. With one season remaining, the build-up to the end is evident, especially in recent episodes. The dynamic with his sister Debra is more tense-filled than ever, not to mention his lust for a fellow killer. This is a side of Dexter we haven't seen in years, Season 4 specifically, and taking place directly after the DDK events of Season 6 places us right in the middle of all the action. The walls are beginning to close in, and in Season 7, we are seeing it happen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Oct 4, 2012
    Structurally, the whole thing feels fresh again, and even if I have doubts about how the writers will wring two worthy seasons out of the new dynamics (Showtime has committed to airing at least one more season), the three 2012 episodes I've seen efficiently pulled me back in.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    The game changer sets season 7 on an exciting new course. [8 Oct 2012, p.60]
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 1, 2012
    [Deb's new] knowledge, and the way it alters Dexter and Deb's relationship, shakes the series out of the doldrums it's been in for several years now.