• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
8.4

1. May 21, 2013
    I loved the first 5 seasons of Dexter, as each one developped a new side of his personality (even if according to the man himself "he only has one level"). We got to know him as a serial killer with a dark childhood, then as an addict trying to cover his tracks. Season three saw him as a family man and loving father to be and season four trying to juggle too many roles. There were manyI loved the first 5 seasons of Dexter, as each one developped a new side of his personality (even if according to the man himself "he only has one level"). We got to know him as a serial killer with a dark childhood, then as an addict trying to cover his tracks. Season three saw him as a family man and loving father to be and season four trying to juggle too many roles. There were many funny moments, until the unexpected demise of innocent Rita. However, season 5, with his theme of redemption and the introduction of another innocent character was also pretty interesting. I also liked the Deb-Quinn relationship, on the same path of redemption.

Unfortunately it was downhill from there. Season 6 was risible with its Biblical killings and some of the worse investigative work ever. Not to mention the ghosts.... But this season was terrible. It lacked focus, moving from Ukrainian mob to sexy female killer to arsonist. The love stories were atrociously bad and cliche'. Once again Dexter thinks he found another serial killer who can "understand him" and love him the way he is. Of course, it does not hurt that said female killer could also be a model.

All females in Dexter are stereotype pretty, with perfect features and gorgeous bodies. Plastic girls with plastic souls, therefore perfect for Miami. So Dexter is happily in love, producing the most cringe-inducing dialogues ever. Quinn is also in love, guess what? With yet another babe, a luscious blonde stripper. Deb may (or may not) be still in love with Dexter. They all lie their way through the whole series. In fact, they lie so much that I found it difficult to keep track and then I lost interest.

I wished intensely for Dexter to get killed by Isaak, or at least for his morally revolting girlfriend to get her pretty face smashed by a baseball bat. But cheating liars don't get as much as a bruise. I wish they pulled the plug on Dexter in season 5. Serial killers should not get to live happily ever after and this story is dragging on and getting extremely repetitive. What is worse, is not even remotely funny as it used to be.
  2. Nov 25, 2012
    Not to be rated after one or two episodes because while starts off well it turns into the dreadful contrived mess that S6 turned out to be. Boring love interest, ridiculous plot turn of a crime writer appearing from nowhere. After a great first few episodes they've just given up (again!).
  3. Jul 1, 2013
    honestly i didnt like this season and couldnt find anything markable. this season was diffrent but not good.
    i wanted to see some actions but dexter and fellas do nothing, exept debra's F-words storrytelling is garbage!
  4. Oct 29, 2012
    Season 1 was excellent but S7 has squandered an excellent opportunity to delve into humanity. What the (amaterish) writers have done is given us melodramatic rubbish. Deba is annoying in what she does and the show is now annoying too
  5. Dec 9, 2012
    In today's society, there is something more terrifying than blood and gore. The idea everyone is getting in their head that the bad guy or only half bad guy is somehow the hero. That is absolutely going to be part of the downfall of society. Believe it or not.
  6. Nov 11, 2012
    This series was good for one whole episode. It gave me confidence that we were finally on course for a season like 1, 2, or 4, but no such luck. We are back to season 5 and 6's paint by numbers, yawnfest, tedious melodrama filler. When a series is lumped with shows like Homeland, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, and Walking dead there is an expectation that it shouldn't rather beThis series was good for one whole episode. It gave me confidence that we were finally on course for a season like 1, 2, or 4, but no such luck. We are back to season 5 and 6's paint by numbers, yawnfest, tedious melodrama filler. When a series is lumped with shows like Homeland, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story, and Walking dead there is an expectation that it shouldn't rather be lumped with the Wiggles. Expand
  7. Dec 11, 2012
    Season 7 is a frustrating mixed bag. Just when you think the show will hit its stride, it falters with weak plot devices and laughable dialogue (the inner monologues have become eye-rolling groan fests). I'm a huge fan of the series, but the show is past it's expiration date.
  8. Feb 17, 2013
    This is the first season of Dexter where I actually felt disappointed. Up until this season, I thought the show was perfect. This season felt a little disjointed. Quinn was literally without purpose towards the end of the season, Dexter felt a little too out of character, and I honestly can't stand this new love interest he has. I enjoyed the Ukrainian gangster plot, but as just things gotThis is the first season of Dexter where I actually felt disappointed. Up until this season, I thought the show was perfect. This season felt a little disjointed. Quinn was literally without purpose towards the end of the season, Dexter felt a little too out of character, and I honestly can't stand this new love interest he has. I enjoyed the Ukrainian gangster plot, but as just things got interesting, Isaac was killed off. In all honesty it felt like the writers didn't know what they wanted to do with the story, and most of the time it didn't really feel like I was watching Dexter. A shame because I loved the series up until this point. Expand
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. What happened to the writers??? This season was what we were waiting for for so long and the result is just a huge disappointment and a waste of talents! The script is so poor compare to the previous seasons that for the fist time I do not even want to know what is coming next. The story with the Ukrainian mob is just depressingly common, barely worthy of a regular police TV show. The whole story and dialogues are highly predictable and even worse, it is as if the actors themselves are completely bored by it judging from their poor performances. Finally the new Debra is totally boring and the so-called 'romance' between Dexter and the woman-killer is just too easy and was predictable from the beginning. Let's just hope they will try to make it better by the end of the season... Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Maureen Ryan
    Oct 4, 2012
    Structurally, the whole thing feels fresh again, and even if I have doubts about how the writers will wring two worthy seasons out of the new dynamics (Showtime has committed to airing at least one more season), the three 2012 episodes I've seen efficiently pulled me back in.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    The game changer sets season 7 on an exciting new course. [8 Oct 2012, p.60]
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 1, 2012
    [Deb's new] knowledge, and the way it alters Dexter and Deb's relationship, shakes the series out of the doldrums it's been in for several years now.