Dexter : Season 8

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
4.8

1. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season COULD have been great. The previous season, in my opinion the best since season 4, left us with the perfect starting point for what could have been a climactic final run for Dexter. Yet Season 8 starts things off by immediately jumping ahead, cheapening the experience and impact of LaGuerta's death, Dexter's mess, and Deb's dilemma, while simultaneously diffusing all sense of tension and finality. While these aspects are explored in the initial episodes, particularly the impact on Deb, it's not nearly as satisfying as it could have been.

Season 8 is filled to the brim with questionable direction, writing, and pacing. Far too much time has been devoted to the meaningless arcs of side characters, not to mention the screen time eaten up by Harrison Morgan I realize he's just a kid, but as far as child actors go, this is one of the worst I've ever seen. The treadmill scene was hilariously awful. I just can't take the show seriously whenever he opens his mouth.

Dr. Vogl comes across as a convenient (and sudden) addition to the plot, but the role she played in Dexter's 'creation' seems to be more of a deus ex machina than anything else. I, for one, never felt particularly invested in her story or what she added to the fabric of the show. Zach Hamilton was an even more questionable addition to the cast and overall arc of the series, considering his untimely demise and utter lack of resolution.

As I'm writing this, we have one episode left of Dexter, and there's simply no way this mess of a season can be tied together with any semblance of cohesion. Which is a shame, considering how great the show was in its infancy.
  2. Sep 25, 2013
    Don't watch this season if you like good writing. Don't watch this season if you like Dexter. Don't watch this season if you hate lumberjacks either. It's like the producers pulled the writers of the last five seasons of The Simpsons together and forced them to watch the Star Wars prequels for days on end before forcing them to write for this show. It's a disappointment in every sense of the word.
  3. Sep 23, 2013
    the final season, especially the final episode, was very very dissapointing. i can't believe they ruined 7 years of work with such bad writing. im hugely dissaponed.
  4. Sep 9, 2013
    Easily the worst season yet, though I can't say I've enjoyed the series for some time. It's hard to care about any of the characters and the story has become so silly and very hard to believe. Pure garbage.
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    Soooo disappointed, even the acting is bad, I wonder is there was a change in directing. Dex is doing a lot of stupid moves, dialogs are so weak, this season should have never been made, it's more a soap opera, too bad I had great hopes for this season.
    I'm sure than next year, we'll have some B-series TV show called Harry's Chronicle or sth with a lot of psychopaths
  6. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The final chapter is one of the worse chapters I have witness in the story of entertainment.

Looking for Hanna? Yeah lets go outside with my bright yellow hair and not even sunglasses on. For a smart fugitive that is utterly moronic.

Then we have the ninja private detective. Paranoid fugitive doesn't notice him to be sit half meters away until the bus start running; and just because he brought her attention.

Did you kill somebody inside a police department? Don't worry bro, sure the judge have no questions for ya' you are good to go hermano.

My sister is dead? Better desecrate her body. F_ck the rest of our friends and the great funeral she would have got.

My son is away? F_ck that little b*tch too. No dad emotional or financial support for you.

So better drive my boat into a tornado and kill myself; and use my superpowers to get out of there and stay in my cabin forever afterwards.

Is like the writers got drunks and wrote the worse script possible. Seriously, where did they hire those people? There are fan made seasons which are way more elaborate.
  7. Sep 24, 2013
    If you find yourself laughing in the final moments of a serious drama series, you know that something as gone awry. The final season could not have been further from what should have been expected. There was no closure, unnecessary plot "twists" and all around sloppy writing. I feel absolutely robbed having watched 8 seasons to have it closed out like that.
  8. Aug 27, 2013
    This season of Dexter has to be the worst yet. It's a diabolical mess of incident-free scenes, poorly edited and clumsily written. I don't care about any of the characters any more because whatever happens to them, seems to not matter in the long run. Story lines are just thrown away in exchange for new characters and irrelevant sub-plots.

This is TV at it's most disappointing. Dexter

This is TV at it's most disappointing. Dexter had some fantastic early seasons, but has come down to be one of the most unfortunate in TV history.
  9. Sep 24, 2013
    I was a big fan of the series, I absolutely loved season 1-4 but ever since it has gone way downhill and season 8 is the worst season of them all. It is a massive disappointment that completely ruins the entire show. The entire final season was boring, unintelligent and cheap, especially the final episode. The final episode of this once so brilliant show is awful, I cannot believe that aI was a big fan of the series, I absolutely loved season 1-4 but ever since it has gone way downhill and season 8 is the worst season of them all. It is a massive disappointment that completely ruins the entire show. The entire final season was boring, unintelligent and cheap, especially the final episode. The final episode of this once so brilliant show is awful, I cannot believe that a great show like this can get such a horrible ending. Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2013
    Wow. what was that Dexter Writers, these people are just terrible and never deserve to get jobs again, this season was just terrible. I hope i never have to see this again.
  11. Oct 6, 2013
    I don't think they could fit any more cliches or predictable story lines than they did in Dexter's final season. Like many good shows, Dexter went three years too long and finished with a thud. Hours of crapola.
  12. Oct 10, 2013
    A disgrace to what was once one of the best shows on TV, the season was unforgivable bad. Nothing about it was good, This use to be one of the best shows on TV, this season is one of the worst ever.
  13. Oct 10, 2013
    A very very very bad season, after 7 amazing seasons, yes, i even liked 6, but this season just said screw it, and slapped the fans in the face. They gave us one of the worst seasons ever.
  14. Oct 10, 2013
    This season doesn't deserve a review, its that bad, i almost regret watching this entire show thats how bad this season was. i would give it less then a 0 if i could.
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    This season can be summed up as two words: The Finale. If the season wasn't bad enough, the finale screams "I'M TERRIBLE!". As you can see the User Score for this season is the only one that dips deep into Yellow territory while every other season was in bright green. That enough should tell you something is clearly wrong with this season. Don't bother watching it and having the seriesThis season can be summed up as two words: The Finale. If the season wasn't bad enough, the finale screams "I'M TERRIBLE!". As you can see the User Score for this season is the only one that dips deep into Yellow territory while every other season was in bright green. That enough should tell you something is clearly wrong with this season. Don't bother watching it and having the series completely ruined for you. If you MUST watch it, DO. NOT. WATCH. THE. FINALE. You will thank me in the long run! Expand
  16. Mar 26, 2014
    Dexter was a great show for the first five seasons... this review is based on the last two seasons but primarily the last episode. What were they thinking? Without question the worst ending to a series ever written. Want to learn how to 'unravel' a legacy? watch the last two seasons... for shame.
  17. Nov 25, 2015
    It's been three years, but I have to put my two cents in on Dexter's final season. What a complete piece of garbage the entire season was. Did they just give up all together? There were certainly signs of a quick decline in the previous two seasons that were pretty bad, but Season 8 makes those seasons look like they had Scorcese at the helm. Dr. Vogel? Seriously? OMG. May have been theIt's been three years, but I have to put my two cents in on Dexter's final season. What a complete piece of garbage the entire season was. Did they just give up all together? There were certainly signs of a quick decline in the previous two seasons that were pretty bad, but Season 8 makes those seasons look like they had Scorcese at the helm. Dr. Vogel? Seriously? OMG. May have been the most laughable character in TV history. The season and the finale were sooooooooo bad they ruined any chance of me ever going back and re-watching from Season 1 on. It's completely pointless after the train wreck of S8. It's astonishing that anyone could give this season anything better than a two, let alone a 10. That's nuts. Clearly those people went on to enjoy utter TV trash like The Following. Expand
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    Just awful has no redeeming qualities, everything was just so different in uncomfortable ways, especially Harrison, GOD IS HE ANNOYING OR WHAT? Awful send off for the show just went on FAR TOO LONG. Not pleased, if you're a new Dexter watcher I suggest you just watch seasons 1-6 they are actually good especially seasons 1-4 it all went to after season 6.
  19. Sep 23, 2013
    Finally this terrible season has come to an end! Whoever kidnapped the Dexter from season 1-4 needed to bring him back to make this sorry season somewhat better. I never thought i would rate this low for a Dexter season but this one deserves it.
  20. Oct 8, 2013
    The Final Season of my beloved Dexter serious deserves less than a 0. Horrible season. Constant bad and silly writing. Season 1-4 were great. 5-7 are mediocre. 8 is a total letdown.
  21. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Underwhelming and disapointing to no end. This is what happens when a studio takes a great show and replaces its amazing storyline with a serious case if bad writing. Througout the entire episode I couldn't stop saying "what the hell?" to everything that seemed strange and just illogical to me. Dexter used to be one of the best shows on television, but now, there isn't much to like about the ending. The only workd I can use to describe the finalie of Dexter is "disapointing." Here's some advice, if you're thinking about watching Dexter and you've never seen it before, stop at Season 4. Every other season is just mediocre bull-crap Expand
  22. Mar 18, 2014
    Most embarrassing TV season of any show ever. I can't believe the actors/actresses didn't have the guts to stand up for themselves and demand a re-write of the season script... that's how bad it was.
  23. May 10, 2014
    This series is even worse than I expected. It could easily be mistaken for a demented soap opera. Almost each episode is chock full of cringe-inducing scenes and dialogues. To mention but a few: Vogels inviting all her darling serial killers for dinner; Hanna and Deb becoming best pals; love as the cure for the psychotic urge to kill...

The Vogel character started out well but after a

The Vogel character started out well but after a couple of episodes turned into the worst shrink ever. Hannah was thrown back in the show with one of the worst plot twists ever (Darling Dexter I need you help to kill my husband..... Actually not, I can do it on my own)

As an ex fan of Dexter, I decided to watch the final season even if reviews were pretty bad, but I must admit that even bad reviews did not prepare me for a disaster of such a proportion.
  24. Aug 11, 2014
    Is this the worst season of scripted dramatic television of all tine? Yes, yes it is. Its stupid, boring, nonsensical, laughable, and anticlimactic. True Story: one time i told a friends the ending of this show, and he thought i was telling a joke. Yeah its that bad.
  25. Jan 26, 2014
    What happened? Why? Who wrote this season? These are the only questions I get after this 8th, final, awful season. The apotheosis of absurd with all the incongruity you can only imagine. It changed the nature of Dex, the thin red line of the story. Why why why.... Answers?
  26. May 28, 2014
    To be honest, the season started strong , I was really liking it at the beginning but that time period of enjoyment was ephemeral. The ad for the last season should have started with "Experience the downfall of one the best shows and see how true it is that you can turn anything into garbage if you put your mind to it , assuming the writers had what we refer to as a mind at that time'.To be honest, the season started strong , I was really liking it at the beginning but that time period of enjoyment was ephemeral. The ad for the last season should have started with "Experience the downfall of one the best shows and see how true it is that you can turn anything into garbage if you put your mind to it , assuming the writers had what we refer to as a mind at that time'. Dexter was one of my favourite shows especially throughout the 1st 4 seasons but then began the decline of what could' ve been.......the best of the best. Season 7 was strong and I thought it was steering Dexter back on a good path and this season started strong to with a lot changes and issues at hand but then it just became boring and the last episode was just pathetic , anyone could haveve written a better last episode than that. All I have to say is Dexter was one the best shows easily but this final season turned the whole show into ashes. Expand
  27. Jun 4, 2014
    Do I even have to go over how horribly written this final season was? And I don't just mean the finale, either. Almost the entire time I felt myself struggling to even stay focused. The entire character of Dr. Vogel was a colossal waste. Oh and I'm sure you've all heard about the numerous awful plot hololes that plagued the finale, but I'd like to add one I saw in the episode before: HowDo I even have to go over how horribly written this final season was? And I don't just mean the finale, either. Almost the entire time I felt myself struggling to even stay focused. The entire character of Dr. Vogel was a colossal waste. Oh and I'm sure you've all heard about the numerous awful plot hololes that plagued the finale, but I'd like to add one I saw in the episode before: How the f#%@ did a FEDERAL MARSHAL fail to recognize Saxxon after his face had been all over TV for almost 2 days? The only reason I gave this season even 1 point was that Dexter stabbing Saxxon with the pen was kinda cool. Aside from that, entire season was garbage. Expand
  28. Jun 20, 2014
    this was possibly the worst season of a television show that i have ever seen. the whole season was a disaster. the characters were not the same the writing was horrible and the plot was unbelievable. good thing the writers made up for it in the worst series finale of a show i have ever seen.
  29. Dec 3, 2014
    es una puta mierda .............................................................................................................................................................

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Jul 1, 2013
    Interestingly, Dexter settled into a groove that suggested it could go on for years.... If Dexter regains its eerie footing (and it appears it will), look for it to explode in the final weeks. Sunday's edition says the surprises have just begun.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 28, 2013
    This could all pay off spectacularly. [8 Jul 2013, p.36]
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 28, 2013
    Rampling brings her primly authoritative presence and a stern look to the task. Her scenes with Hall crackle with tension.