Dexter : Season 8

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
4.8

1. Feb 22, 2016
    The final season of Dexter is more of a good thing. While it won't be remembered as the best season, especially since season 7 left us with such a huge impact, but it ties up the story fairly well. The impact of LaGuerta's death from the final episode of season 7 acts as the primary driver for the first half of the season, with both Debra and Dexter's relationship on pins & needles.The final season of Dexter is more of a good thing. While it won't be remembered as the best season, especially since season 7 left us with such a huge impact, but it ties up the story fairly well. The impact of LaGuerta's death from the final episode of season 7 acts as the primary driver for the first half of the season, with both Debra and Dexter's relationship on pins & needles. Eventually, the final main villain of Dexter is revealed, but I found Dexter's final rival to be a little underwhelming compared to what he encountered in seasons past. All in all, I enjoyed this season, but there were obvious opportunities to hit a home run, and the show didn't quite end on the climatic note I would have expected. In fact, the shows final episode left me feeling more sullen than anything else. SPOILERS BEYOND THIS POINT, STOP READING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN ANY OF THIS SEASON. While I was a little detesting of how the events of the final couple episodes played out, Debra's fate ends up being perhaps one of the most impactful moments of the series. After being on the fence about Debra, finding her a bit annoying instead of interesting, her character grew the most and her and Dexter's relationship became the driving force behind the show. Her going into a vegetable state was the saddest moment of the show, even worse than Rita's murder via the Trinity Killer. The show's final moments showing Dexter alone and seemingly-anonymous was a fitting conclusion as he tangles with the Midas Touch, only the death/despair version. I can't say I was in loved with how the bow gets tied on this series, but it wasn't an ending that made me feel betrayed after eight entire seasons. While not my favorite show of all time, I'll always hold this series in high regard for its consistency. Now why did so many people despise this final season? It's certainly worthy of a positive review, just maybe not a "glowing" one. Expand
  2. May 17, 2016
    Dexter has shaken up it's well-known formula here and there, but mostly followed the same structure. That isn't the case in season 8. It's the most wildly different season of Dexter there is. While I can't say it's really for the better, it isn't always for the worse. The tone is much more personal with tons of intimate character interactions meant to ensure we know where everyone is asDexter has shaken up it's well-known formula here and there, but mostly followed the same structure. That isn't the case in season 8. It's the most wildly different season of Dexter there is. While I can't say it's really for the better, it isn't always for the worse. The tone is much more personal with tons of intimate character interactions meant to ensure we know where everyone is as the series closes. A solid move for a final season.

However this leads to lulls in the pacing. There's a lot of talking. It isn't really a bad thing when it's characters we care about onscreen. However newcomer "Evelyn Vogel" (Charlotte Rampling) isn't one of them and it's her and Dexter that do much of the talking. Vogel isn't a bad character. Her connections to Dexter are compelling. She just isn't as interesting as the characters we've watched since the beginning of the show.

This season does an excellent job of handling some of the supporting characters who never really had much time in the spotlight, such as Jamie and Masuka. I really enjoyed their side-plots this season. Jamie became more than just the nanny and had some real growth. Masuka finally has something interesting going on in his life that makes his character more likable than ever. However the real praise goes to Desmond Harrington's "Joey." What his character goes through this season and the growth that takes place is compelling and amazing to watch. I've struggled with my feeling for the character over the course of the show, but here he firmly planted himself in my heart. Angel isn't given much to do this season outside of being his usually lovable self, but honestly he didn't need to be.

Where the season really stumbles is in it's handling of Debra. It was expected that the events of season 7 would leave her changed, but this isn't the Debra we know at all. I get that she is ridden with guilt, but does that really excuse her incessant whining? Eventually she comes back to her old self in the last few episodes which leads to some very powerful moments between her and Dexter in the end. It's just that up until that point she and the plots related to her aren't very enjoyable to watch. It all pays off in the end, but given how important Debra is to the show it's a shame that such a big portion of her journey this season is lacking and so not Debra at all.

So what about the man himself? As far as Dexter goes, the man (or monster) has never been more focused. Dexter has always struggled with who he was in previous seasons. This season he doesn't. He knows exactly who and what he is as well as what he wants. He's focused, on point, and doesn't slip up. It's not until the show's final moments that he struggles with anything. Michael C. Hall gives his best performance as Dexter yet. One that's menacing, emotional, and as compelling as ever. The writers might have mishandled Debra for the majority of this season, but Dexter has never been better.

Now it's true that there's a lot of emotion running through this season, but that doesn't mean it's missing the tension or action. Those just arrive in new forms. A potential student (with a fantastic performance by Sam Underwood), new psychopaths, new people hunting the characters, and plenty of emotional drama make up the season. The villains aren't as fleshed out as before and hardly seem a threat to this new, focused Dexter, but when they get tied into stopping Dexter's plans for the future is when things really start to pick up.

That's also when the season comes together. Up until that point we get a lot of emotion and talk that is just boring to watch at times and feels disjointed at times. It takes a while for everything to connect, but once it does just about everything starts to pay off and it's an exciting, tense, and emotional ride to the finish.

Emotional is a word I've used a lot in this review to describe Dexter's final season. That's because it really is. There are some really powerful moments the show brings out, particularly involving the bond between Dexter and Debra (once she starts acting with some sense that is). The ending isn't going to satisfy everyone, but everything leading up to that is mostly great. Pacing issues and the occasional awkwardness in tone do hamper things, but for the most part Dexter delivers in it's final season. One filled with new ideas, tones, and focus. It breaks the established mold Dexter is known for and, while stumbling here and there, goes out on a mostly satisfying note. One with a lot of twists, turns, and heartbreaks.
  3. Sep 28, 2013
    A sad ending of Dexter. An ending that can only be explained by "Dexter"'s creator: why couldn't he just be happy? Dexter is a beloved killer. A choking finale when Debra gets worse by the time Dexter has feelings for the first time and he has to release her into the ocean. A good final kill by Dexter, the one that he just couldn't let go at this point. The final scene is a little bitA sad ending of Dexter. An ending that can only be explained by "Dexter"'s creator: why couldn't he just be happy? Dexter is a beloved killer. A choking finale when Debra gets worse by the time Dexter has feelings for the first time and he has to release her into the ocean. A good final kill by Dexter, the one that he just couldn't let go at this point. The final scene is a little bit confusing could have Dexter survived to the hurricane or was that Harrison years after? And what's the meaning of the scene? Almost cried on this final episode, true history...One of the best tv series ever. Expand
  4. Jul 13, 2013
    »(¯`v´¯)»LOVE»(¯`v´¯)»THIS»(¯`v´¯)»FINALE»(¯`v´¯)»!!! Dr. Frankenstein Lady will be Dexter's end.
    If creators can pull off a show like Dexter where the writers can actually make the audience condone Dexter acts, then deep down inside most of those viewers may prefer vengeance opposed to obeying the law, as long as someone else is doing it of course. That way we can wash our hands from guilt, while condoning breaking the law. Oh what a tiny web weave when we practice to deceive. Some Americans also had a sympathetic heart and twisted love affair for Bonnie and Clyde which murdered innocent people and committed felonies, because they seemed like romantic criminals in the category of Romeo and Juliette. We as an audience have become seduced and drawn in by shows like Dexter True Blood and The Bible series which provides us with a mask to become something other than human for a moment. It allows us to disguise our dysfunctional corrupt fantasies that feeds our hunger for blood and vengeance that we may have against our enemies or those we want to take our anger out on. Since we can't commit the crime, we allow the illusion of Hollywood to produce this craving for us and say its just TV. So we wash our hands from guilt and shame. We claim innocent because we are just witnesses to a sick fantasy. But in truth we know that we are curious like the cat. We as an audience desire evil and good, because we are underneath still children with a sweet tooth for eye candy, wanting Scandal. Whether the show is sympathizing to glorify murderers attempting to see harm come to the innocent for the greater good, remember its just TV and innocent entertainment. We root for the sadistic psycho Hannibal Lector serial killer as the hero for a season, because even murderers have feelings, family and enemies just like Norman Bates---Psycho! These comments is not to be taken seriously, its also FICTION
  5. Aug 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is ending much better than I expected, after a couple of weaker seasons. Wonderful to see how Dexter became the monster he says he is. The first few episodes are making me wonder more about his Dark Passenger than I have in years. Great to meet his "mother." Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    A better start than season 7 with convincing new characters, Dexter still seek something he didn't found in the entire series and there is some clues he'll find it til the series finale.
    There is some flops but nothing there will pull down the quality.
  7. Jul 3, 2013
    In one first episode I already hate Deb, look for the new psycho to beat and I'm quite interested in that old woman.
    I was afraid after all these seasons to be disappointed, but it's just the begining and I'm waiting for the next one. And that's good!
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    The premiere was a strong start to what I believe will be an even stronger season. The spiraling downfall of the main characters is truly remarkable and sinister. With James gandolfini dead and the endings of dexter and breaking bad this summer, it feels like an era of television is coming to an end. Dexters finale will be iconic, I guarantee it.
  9. Jul 8, 2013
    Shaping up to be a great final season to one of the best shows of the last 10 years. Cant wait to see how it plays out with Deb on a downward spiral and Vogel now entering the equation and Hannah bound to pop up sooner or later.
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I couldn't wait to watch this season and was not disappointed! The writers get off the blocks with a bang and we could literally see the beginning of the end for our beloved serial killer from the very first episode.

The star performer? I would say it was Jennifer Carpenter. Playing the guilt wracked Deb on a path to self destruction, she fits the role to a T. The clarity with which Dexter opens the first episode couldn't end with a bigger contrast towards the end of the episode as he starts losing control and lets his "dark passenger" take over more than just once. Which leads us to the question, "Who is truly on their path to self destruction?" Not even his projections of Harry could rein him this time which sets up an interesting season ahead.
  11. Sep 23, 2013
    A scintillating ending; the show just paid of in just one episode and boy, you will be breathless. Goodbye dexter. Michael c.hall and the entire cast and crew of dexter, thank you very,very much. No one can even ever imagine a series like dexter. Marvelous.
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A sad, tragic end to a series that went on two or three seasons too long. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the final moments, because I did very much. If you can suspend many beliefs about the acts of Mr. Dexter Morgan and try to enjoy the character interactions, I would recommend it to almost anyone. It's impossible it seems to be utterly satisfied with all of the poor writing throughout the show but its somber conclusion to me is probably the best one and is sure to satisfy those who wanted to see Dexter ruined, those who wanted to see him live and those who wanted to see him move beyond his killer instincts. Expand
  13. Jan 3, 2014
    I can say that, I like the final season and finale overall. Might be the best season of 'Dexter' there is. I rushed threw this season in 1 day and it was worth it. I adore this show. It is one of the bests overall.
  14. Aug 25, 2014
    A great show with a bad conclusion. They should have shot a few endings and chosen the best one. Instead, the ending is so unbelievable its almost funny. This is a semi-spoiler but here's a better ending, he jumps in with Deb because he realizes he loves her too and can't go on without her. Where's my Emmy?
  15. Oct 20, 2015
    It probably doesn't quite satisfy every body..but what endings ever do? I think they ended it pretty well considering 8 seasons is a long time to keep a drama fresh especially after the outstanding first season...Some of the characters didn't get the attention I had hoped, some of the wrap ups maybe a little tardy but overall an excellent series....I was quite sad to see it finish...butIt probably doesn't quite satisfy every body..but what endings ever do? I think they ended it pretty well considering 8 seasons is a long time to keep a drama fresh especially after the outstanding first season...Some of the characters didn't get the attention I had hoped, some of the wrap ups maybe a little tardy but overall an excellent series....I was quite sad to see it finish...but all good things come to an end. I will be on the watch out for Dexter actors in other TV in the future. Michael C Hall and Lauren Velez , I have seen in other series..but the rest no.. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Jul 1, 2013
    Interestingly, Dexter settled into a groove that suggested it could go on for years.... If Dexter regains its eerie footing (and it appears it will), look for it to explode in the final weeks. Sunday's edition says the surprises have just begun.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 28, 2013
    This could all pay off spectacularly. [8 Jul 2013, p.36]
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 28, 2013
    Rampling brings her primly authoritative presence and a stern look to the task. Her scenes with Hall crackle with tension.