• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
5.5

1. Sep 9, 2013
    Easily the worst season yet, though I can't say I've enjoyed the series for some time. It's hard to care about any of the characters and the story has become so silly and very hard to believe. Pure garbage.
  2. Sep 23, 2013
    the final season, especially the final episode, was very very dissapointing. i can't believe they ruined 7 years of work with such bad writing. im hugely dissaponed.
  3. Jun 30, 2013
    The premiere was a strong start to what I believe will be an even stronger season. The spiraling downfall of the main characters is truly remarkable and sinister. With James gandolfini dead and the endings of dexter and breaking bad this summer, it feels like an era of television is coming to an end. Dexters finale will be iconic, I guarantee it.
  4. Jul 30, 2013
    To have a protagonist who always gets what he wants with little to no resistance is terrible storytelling. The writers of Dexter appear not to see it this way and it shows more than ever in this final season. Dexter and True Blood are in the same category now. Once great series that have fallen from grace and become utter garbage.
  5. Sep 13, 2013
    Soooo disappointed, even the acting is bad, I wonder is there was a change in directing. Dex is doing a lot of stupid moves, dialogs are so weak, this season should have never been made, it's more a soap opera, too bad I had great hopes for this season.
    I'm sure than next year, we'll have some B-series TV show called Harry's Chronicle or sth with a lot of psychopaths
  6. Sep 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season COULD have been great. The previous season, in my opinion the best since season 4, left us with the perfect starting point for what could have been a climactic final run for Dexter. Yet Season 8 starts things off by immediately jumping ahead, cheapening the experience and impact of LaGuerta's death, Dexter's mess, and Deb's dilemma, while simultaneously diffusing all sense of tension and finality. While these aspects are explored in the initial episodes, particularly the impact on Deb, it's not nearly as satisfying as it could have been.

Season 8 is filled to the brim with questionable direction, writing, and pacing. Far too much time has been devoted to the meaningless arcs of side characters, not to mention the screen time eaten up by Harrison Morgan I realize he's just a kid, but as far as child actors go, this is one of the worst I've ever seen. The treadmill scene was hilariously awful. I just can't take the show seriously whenever he opens his mouth.

Dr. Vogl comes across as a convenient (and sudden) addition to the plot, but the role she played in Dexter's 'creation' seems to be more of a deus ex machina than anything else. I, for one, never felt particularly invested in her story or what she added to the fabric of the show. Zach Hamilton was an even more questionable addition to the cast and overall arc of the series, considering his untimely demise and utter lack of resolution.

As I'm writing this, we have one episode left of Dexter, and there's simply no way this mess of a season can be tied together with any semblance of cohesion. Which is a shame, considering how great the show was in its infancy.
  7. Sep 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The final chapter is one of the worse chapters I have witness in the story of entertainment.

Looking for Hanna? Yeah lets go outside with my bright yellow hair and not even sunglasses on. For a smart fugitive that is utterly moronic.

Then we have the ninja private detective. Paranoid fugitive doesn't notice him to be sit half meters away until the bus start running; and just because he brought her attention.

Did you kill somebody inside a police department? Don't worry bro, sure the judge have no questions for ya' you are good to go hermano.

My sister is dead? Better desecrate her body. F_ck the rest of our friends and the great funeral she would have got.

My son is away? F_ck that little b*tch too. No dad emotional or financial support for you.

So better drive my boat into a tornado and kill myself; and use my superpowers to get out of there and stay in my cabin forever afterwards.

Is like the writers got drunks and wrote the worse script possible. Seriously, where did they hire those people? There are fan made seasons which are way more elaborate.
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    If you find yourself laughing in the final moments of a serious drama series, you know that something as gone awry. The final season could not have been further from what should have been expected. There was no closure, unnecessary plot "twists" and all around sloppy writing. I feel absolutely robbed having watched 8 seasons to have it closed out like that.
  9. Sep 25, 2013
    Don't watch this season if you like good writing. Don't watch this season if you like Dexter. Don't watch this season if you hate lumberjacks either. It's like the producers pulled the writers of the last five seasons of The Simpsons together and forced them to watch the Star Wars prequels for days on end before forcing them to write for this show. It's a disappointment in every sense of the word.
  10. Aug 10, 2013
    Wow, they really messed up this time. Its way too easy to see, that they just prolonged the series because of their financial gain. The story isn't like great shows, fx Game of Thrones, which has a real story with a beginning and a journey with a story to tell. Not just an obvious attempt to keep the viewers in their pocket. It's like they, when they found out they'd earn money on season 8, just conveniently made up this psychologist that made huge reports on Dexter as a child and youngster, even though we have never met her before. This season theme is, like in all other 7, the creation or reveal of Dexter's human side. This time though, it is with the eyes of an unrealistic and cynical psychologist. And like all the other seasons –except maybe for the first 2 there isn’t, so far at least, any development in this changing of Dexter. Really disappointing, they should have thought out this long ago, instead of this post financial security engineering. Really bad season, and by the way, how many serial killers can there be!? We have met countless so far, and... i won't even waste more time writing about this show, that was good in the first 2 seasons, horrible 8th season. Don't watch it. Expand
  11. Aug 27, 2013
    This season of Dexter has to be the worst yet. It's a diabolical mess of incident-free scenes, poorly edited and clumsily written. I don't care about any of the characters any more because whatever happens to them, seems to not matter in the long run. Story lines are just thrown away in exchange for new characters and irrelevant sub-plots.

This is TV at it's most disappointing. Dexter
    had some fantastic early seasons, but has come down to be one of the most unfortunate in TV history. Expand
  12. Sep 24, 2013
    I was a big fan of the series, I absolutely loved season 1-4 but ever since it has gone way downhill and season 8 is the worst season of them all. It is a massive disappointment that completely ruins the entire show. The entire final season was boring, unintelligent and cheap, especially the final episode. The final episode of this once so brilliant show is awful, I cannot believe that a great show like this can get such a horrible ending. Expand
  13. Oct 10, 2013
    Wow. what was that Dexter Writers, these people are just terrible and never deserve to get jobs again, this season was just terrible. I hope i never have to see this again.
  14. Aug 13, 2013
    First of all I would like to start saying that I loved Dexter on the first 5 Seasons 5-7 I tolerated him and on 8th I hated him :P
    Why ?
    It's very simple. In my opinion Michael C. Hall doesn't seem to have the same energy and passion to the Dexter's role as he used to have in the first seasons. Also the rest of the cast are also mediocre. As a viewer this pisses me off. Seasons 5-7
    had their moments but until now season 8th doesn't have anything as good as the previous.
    I'm going to continue watch it out of habit any way, but I'm irritated by the fact that a promising show like that has an ending season like this one.
  15. Sep 14, 2013
    Dexter has taken a disappointing turn from its darker roots, turning Dexter from a ruthless psychopath into just another emotionally charged criminal, with a bizarre sense of justice. Dexter doesn't question our ethics like it used to, or take basic humane morality and flip it on its head anymore. Dexter Morgan is still a watchable character on his own, as is his foster sister Debra, but every other interaction in the entire series from their co-workers to their closest friends are just as plodding and mindless to watch as ever, acting as padding to fill in the spots between the genuine points of interest.
    New characters act as interesting diversions, though the series as a whole seems to have lost its ethical edge. We're no longer seeing Dexter's actions as a cruel sense of justice and questioning just how necessary his actions really are in shaping a better world, killing is just something he does, now.
    Now note I'm writing this two episodes shy of the series finale, and it appears as though things are about to really pick up, but for now, I'm only writing from what I've seen so far.
  16. Sep 25, 2013
    What a mess of a season.Dexter has been on a slow decline since the end of Season 4, but Season 8 has been a lighting spiral to the bottom. The lazy writing displayed this season rivals the stupidity of Fox' The Following. I once considered Dexter as one of the better dramas in TV history, but the last few seasons, especially this season, have knocked it into 2nd tier status. What a lackluster way to end things, only a diehard in denial could have found this season enjoyable. Expand
  17. Oct 1, 2013
    The worst season of Dexter, by far. It's like the writers, producers and actors didn't care anymore. The first 4 seasons made Dexter a very good/excellent series. The last 4 season, especially that last one, killed the legacy. What a let down.
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    Just awful has no redeeming qualities, everything was just so different in uncomfortable ways, especially Harrison, GOD IS HE ANNOYING OR WHAT? Awful send off for the show just went on FAR TOO LONG. Not pleased, if you're a new Dexter watcher I suggest you just watch seasons 1-6 they are actually good especially seasons 1-4 it all went to after season 6.
  19. Oct 6, 2013
    I don't think they could fit any more cliches or predictable story lines than they did in Dexter's final season. Like many good shows, Dexter went three years too long and finished with a thud. Hours of crapola.
  20. Oct 10, 2013
    A disgrace to what was once one of the best shows on TV, the season was unforgivable bad. Nothing about it was good, This use to be one of the best shows on TV, this season is one of the worst ever.
  21. Oct 10, 2013
    A very very very bad season, after 7 amazing seasons, yes, i even liked 6, but this season just said screw it, and slapped the fans in the face. They gave us one of the worst seasons ever.
  22. Oct 10, 2013
    This season doesn't deserve a review, its that bad, i almost regret watching this entire show thats how bad this season was. i would give it less then a 0 if i could.
  23. Nov 18, 2013
    This season can be summed up as two words: The Finale. If the season wasn't bad enough, the finale screams "I'M TERRIBLE!". As you can see the User Score for this season is the only one that dips deep into Yellow territory while every other season was in bright green. That enough should tell you something is clearly wrong with this season. Don't bother watching it and having the series completely ruined for you. If you MUST watch it, DO. NOT. WATCH. THE. FINALE. You will thank me in the long run! Expand
  24. Jun 30, 2013
    A better start than season 7 with convincing new characters, Dexter still seek something he didn't found in the entire series and there is some clues he'll find it til the series finale.
    There is some flops but nothing there will pull down the quality.
  25. Jul 8, 2013
    Shaping up to be a great final season to one of the best shows of the last 10 years. Cant wait to see how it plays out with Deb on a downward spiral and Vogel now entering the equation and Hannah bound to pop up sooner or later.
  26. Jul 13, 2013
    »(¯`v´¯)»LOVE»(¯`v´¯)»THIS»(¯`v´¯)»FINALE»(¯`v´¯)»!!! Dr. Frankenstein Lady will be Dexter's end.
    If creators can pull off a show like Dexter where the writers can actually make the audience condone Dexter acts, then deep down inside most of those viewers may prefer vengeance opposed to obeying the law, as long as someone else is doing it of course. That way we can wash our hands from
    guilt, while condoning breaking the law. Oh what a tiny web weave when we practice to deceive. Some Americans also had a sympathetic heart and twisted love affair for Bonnie and Clyde which murdered innocent people and committed felonies, because they seemed like romantic criminals in the category of Romeo and Juliette. We as an audience have become seduced and drawn in by shows like Dexter True Blood and The Bible series which provides us with a mask to become something other than human for a moment. It allows us to disguise our dysfunctional corrupt fantasies that feeds our hunger for blood and vengeance that we may have against our enemies or those we want to take our anger out on. Since we can't commit the crime, we allow the illusion of Hollywood to produce this craving for us and say its just TV. So we wash our hands from guilt and shame. We claim innocent because we are just witnesses to a sick fantasy. But in truth we know that we are curious like the cat. We as an audience desire evil and good, because we are underneath still children with a sweet tooth for eye candy, wanting Scandal. Whether the show is sympathizing to glorify murderers attempting to see harm come to the innocent for the greater good, remember its just TV and innocent entertainment. We root for the sadistic psycho Hannibal Lector serial killer as the hero for a season, because even murderers have feelings, family and enemies just like Norman Bates---Psycho! These comments is not to be taken seriously, its also FICTION Expand
  27. Sep 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is very sad to see Dexter limp to the finish line. The end started after Rita was killed off it lost the opportunity to have Dexter try and balance his family life and maintain his ongoing commitment to the Code. And the way this season started out with Debra already having quit the police force and the murder of LaGureta was already solved. It would have made for better TV viewing if Debra was having to investigate her murder when she was the one who killed LaGureta as Dexter watched. But to no avail what we get is a mish-mash of new characters who don't have time to develop, etc... very sad to see a once great show where the writers, cast, etc.. have just mailed it in

On the other hand "Breaking Bad" is going out in a blaze of glory. Yea
  28. Sep 23, 2013
    A scintillating ending; the show just paid of in just one episode and boy, you will be breathless. Goodbye dexter. Michael c.hall and the entire cast and crew of dexter, thank you very,very much. No one can even ever imagine a series like dexter. Marvelous.
  29. Sep 23, 2013
    Finally this terrible season has come to an end! Whoever kidnapped the Dexter from season 1-4 needed to bring him back to make this sorry season somewhat better. I never thought i would rate this low for a Dexter season but this one deserves it.
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    A weak season overall with no sense of danger throughout. But it's still Dexter. The final episode was very powerful but as is often the case with finale's, very controversial. I do think Dexter should have ended a while ago but it's still a treat to watch.

1. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    Jul 1, 2013
    Interestingly, Dexter settled into a groove that suggested it could go on for years.... If Dexter regains its eerie footing (and it appears it will), look for it to explode in the final weeks. Sunday's edition says the surprises have just begun.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jun 28, 2013
    This could all pay off spectacularly. [8 Jul 2013, p.36]
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jun 28, 2013
    Rampling brings her primly authoritative presence and a stern look to the task. Her scenes with Hall crackle with tension.