• Network: Showtime
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.2

1. GiaT.
    Nov 14, 2008
    I didn't know I would, but I did... I fell in love with Dexter! I could watch season one 'til the DVD player burns holes in the dics!
  2. CodyF
    Jan 21, 2008
    Dexter by far is the best show on television how could the critics give it a 77 its obviously a lot higher. Michael C. Halls performance is so breath taking Sometimes the plot twists are so amazing. As said before Dexter is simple the best show on television. Every episode leaves you sitting on your seat asking for more. It makes me wish metacritic went to 11 cause id give it and 11.
  3. LuluF.
    Dec 17, 2008
    Best...Show...Ever! After the first five minutes into Season One, I've been hooked. I've even got my dad addicted to this. I'm venturing to say this is better than The Simpsons.
  4. UberF.
    May 16, 2008
    Magnificent and terrifying. The only serial killer I know that I'd like to have a beer with and Erik King is hilarious as the suspicious Sergeant. A brilliant series
  5. JennyC.
    Jun 24, 2008
    Great dhow. Dry humor. Very enjoyable.
  6. PeterS.
    Sep 11, 2008
    I love this programme, at the present time its the only thing I HAVE to watch on TV. Everything about this show is top class. This and my other favourite show of all time (The Soprano's) set a bench mark of how great TV can be. Its only a shame TV this good does not come around often enough!
  7. RonJ
    Nov 3, 2009
    Excellent! Along with Califonication, the only 2 series to grab my attention in the last 10 years. John Lithgow is a top-notch actor (especially in creepy roles like the Trinity Killer), and is really making the show "pop" right now.
  8. TrevorC
    Oct 14, 2009
    The Only Thing on TV I have interest in watching since Seinfeld. Seriously - I have not watched a TV series since in a long time. I tried, just every show I tried to watch sucked - DEXTER IS THE BEST SHOW EVER.
  9. ArmandoJ
    Dec 19, 2009
    Perfect!
  10. FlorenciaP
    Oct 31, 2009
    the best show ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. KaylaD.
    Jun 19, 2009
    I can't take my eyes off the television. Michael C. Hall delivers an outstanding performance that I could watch over and over and over.
  12. DylanF.
    Jun 26, 2009
    This show is amazing! Every person who gives this show a bad review gives the same excuses. Lighten up and stop being so politically correct. Dexter Defies any law enforcement show out there by bringing to the table an outrageous, brutal, mind bending, and hilarious dark comedy to us. The best show I have ever seen on television, It's like watching an award winning film every week. I This show is amazing! Every person who gives this show a bad review gives the same excuses. Lighten up and stop being so politically correct. Dexter Defies any law enforcement show out there by bringing to the table an outrageous, brutal, mind bending, and hilarious dark comedy to us. The best show I have ever seen on television, It's like watching an award winning film every week. I highly recommend! Expand
  13. MicheleA.
    Jul 23, 2009
    The greatest character I have ever seen, the most interesting and original show in the last years.
  14. George
    Sep 23, 2009
    I have recently discovered this show and it is amazing. I have seen several serial killer of serial killers content, though. Nonetheless this is the best adaptation I have ever seen. I will certainly read the book.
  15. carriee
    Nov 14, 2006
    Dexter is a fantastic new series! It's creative, humourous, dark, and different.
  16. GenaR
    Nov 16, 2006
    This is the most awesome show to premire in a L-O-N-G time!
  17. jurgenjurgen
    Nov 17, 2006
    exellent series! like nothing ive seen before. The way his character is described and develops during the series is great!
  18. martinp
    Nov 19, 2006
    amazing show
  19. marec
    Nov 21, 2006
    Totally enticing & addicting. Michael is brilliant. Best t.v series.. Deliciously macabre.
  20. JessicaB
    Nov 22, 2006
    Next to all the bland cop shows where they investigate a murder or whatever, Dexter stands out because, for once, the story is told from a serial killer's point of view. It's intriguing and far from making you recoil in fear Dexter shows the audience that he's as much human as the next guy. 10 stars for the different perspective and the chance to watch something entirely Next to all the bland cop shows where they investigate a murder or whatever, Dexter stands out because, for once, the story is told from a serial killer's point of view. It's intriguing and far from making you recoil in fear Dexter shows the audience that he's as much human as the next guy. 10 stars for the different perspective and the chance to watch something entirely original for the first time in a long while. Expand
  21. thomasq
    Nov 23, 2006
    I don't watch much t.v. besides some sports and I'm just tired of all the "reality tv". Dexter has me waiting for the next episode which isn't something I usually make plans around
  22. ErinS
    Nov 27, 2006
    i love this show...so suspenseful!
  23. staciac
    Dec 12, 2006
    i love dexter!!!!!!
  24. mattb
    Dec 14, 2006
    very good show, stong characters - hope it stays for years.
  25. VictorPassarelli
    Dec 18, 2006
    melhor seriado não há!
  26. AndréL
    Dec 18, 2006
    Pra mim a melhor série dessa nova temporada e muito melhor também que muitas séries já renomadas. Pode não fazer muito sucesso pelo fato de ser exibida por um canal fechado. Mas quem assiste sabe o quão boa essa série é.
  27. JaredN
    Dec 23, 2006
    Best new show, and maybe one of the best shows ever.
  28. PallabD
    Dec 29, 2006
    There is only one word to describe this series. And that is "WEIRD". A truelly different thriller about a serial killer.
  29. frozenbarbie
    Dec 29, 2006
    Perfection, thy name is Dexter.
  30. RachelO.
    Nov 17, 2007
    I was one of the viewers that was tired of all the reality TV and spin offs. I had all but given up on TV! Since Dexter aired in 2006, I have been hooked from day one! This is a show I rush home to see. Oh, how I missed that feeling!
  31. AlS.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Amazing show. Great writing. Only a couple of slip-ups so far.
  32. voodoocookie
    Dec 16, 2007
    This is definitely the best show I have ever seen on TV. Not sure how it can return for a season 3 but I'm looking forward to see how creative the writers will get. Micheal C Hall is absolutely brilliant. He carries the whole show and is strangely charming. Very addictive!
  33. CoryB
    Nov 24, 2008
    Love it
  34. Oct 8, 2010
    Dexter is awesome. this was enjoyable to watch straight from the beginning and right through the seasons. seeing his character develop through the crazy events that occur through the first season.
  35. Sep 22, 2010
    I could go on and on about how I enjoy Michael's acting and the brilliance of his character. I could rant about how the story plays out like a game of chess with well-made moves by Dexter while stalking his next victim. However, despite what I say about it, I'm always dying to see the next episode. That says it all.
  36. Aug 20, 2011
    The first season of Dexter, to me, is a must see for anyone who can stomach the concept of a serial as the main character. The plot of the first season is pretty tight and well-written with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Every actor does a superb job and the show is full of interesting characters and sharp, clever writing, Masuka's jokes notwithstanding. If you find the showsThe first season of Dexter, to me, is a must see for anyone who can stomach the concept of a serial as the main character. The plot of the first season is pretty tight and well-written with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Every actor does a superb job and the show is full of interesting characters and sharp, clever writing, Masuka's jokes notwithstanding. If you find the shows premise cheesy or too disturbing then skip it, but for everyone else, you are in for a treat. Collapse
  37. Sep 23, 2010
    This is one of my all-time favorite shows! Every season is entertaining and great to watch. Never can tell what is going to happen next. Great acting and wonderful characters every season.
  38. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  39. Nov 2, 2010
    Simple outstanding. This season was the best so far. I loved this show so much I started thinking like Dexter but without the blood lust, haha. I think anyone that is not too conservative will love this show and should watch it from the beginning.
  40. Nov 12, 2011
    The Series of series. Dualism as an art-form. The ultimate proof that TV can provide top quality. Hall really is Dexter, like he is David in Six Feet Under, superb acting. Most co-actors are great too, the story fabulous, the music so good and fitting it took my breath away. It's alive.
  41. Oct 13, 2010
    Daily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror orDaily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror or violence. Played to perfection by Michael C. Hall, Dexter is a unique horror show that showcases the darkest aspects of humanity and never hides away from the fact that it is a monstrosity. Strangely addictive, this is compelling drama. Expand
  42. Nov 1, 2010
    I'm shocked the critics review was only 77 for this show and truly hope they increase it over the next few seasons. This series gives an incredible view into the mind of serial killer. It has detailed forensic research to back-up interesting story-lines that make show believable and wonderfully three dimensional characters along with a talented cast of actors. What's not to like?
  43. CBZ
    Mar 8, 2011
    This is a great show, taking crime investigations to a whole new level. You will not regret giving Dexter a chance, it will get you addicted if you are thrilled by murder stories you are not scared of blood.
  44. Dec 1, 2010
    It is bloody fun! Dexter and Debra make a great cast with Dexter's Michael C. Hall gripping serial killer performance made it even better. The award-winning show in its 5th season and "Dexter" still has that spark that manages to catch us off guard every episode. Keep killing Dexter!
  45. Dec 4, 2010
    I can't really explain why this show is so amazing. It just grabs you from the first episode and doesn't let you go. One may think that a show about a serial killer killing other serial killers would get old, but the story only gets more and more complex. You fall in love with a serial killer and actually find yourself rooting for Dexter while sympathizing for him in regards to hisI can't really explain why this show is so amazing. It just grabs you from the first episode and doesn't let you go. One may think that a show about a serial killer killing other serial killers would get old, but the story only gets more and more complex. You fall in love with a serial killer and actually find yourself rooting for Dexter while sympathizing for him in regards to his relationship problems with his sister, co-workers, girlfriend, and his father who has passed away and acts as his conscious. So far everyone I have talked to who has seen it has been taken in by the thrill and excitement this show provides. It's unpredictable and the writers are just getting better and better with each season. WARNING: Don't start watching until you have at least a couple free days in head of you... you won't want to stop! Expand
  46. Dec 17, 2010
    With a title sequence that will stay with you to the grave, this is a television drama that cannot be outdone in it's immersive plots and range of characters performed to an absolute tee by it's cast. The liberal agenda's guilty indulgence; by no other hand but the protagonists would his dirty deeds seem 'not so' contentious. Sadistic, horrifying, and charmingly captivating. If you canWith a title sequence that will stay with you to the grave, this is a television drama that cannot be outdone in it's immersive plots and range of characters performed to an absolute tee by it's cast. The liberal agenda's guilty indulgence; by no other hand but the protagonists would his dirty deeds seem 'not so' contentious. Sadistic, horrifying, and charmingly captivating. If you can tolerate the former (and with a string of films in the Saw mould overtaking Hollywood it'd you may have to) you may just find yourself coming to the conclusion that this is the best television drama you've ever set your eyes upon (genuinely); as an insight into the darkest reaches of the (and by that i mean 'our', as in 'all of us') of the human psyche. Expand
  47. Mar 31, 2011
    Essentially this series raised the bar for me on what to expect in an hour long show. It gets so much done per episode, and the characters are all very engaging. It's probably my favorite tv show, and will be for the forseeable future.
  48. Jan 5, 2011
    The start to one of the best tv shows on the air. Michael C. Hall gives him a great look, and feel. A must watch for thriller, and splatter film fans.
  49. Jan 6, 2011
    Love this show. One of the best of all-time, in my opinion. It's not just a show about a serial killer with a conscience. It's simply an outstanding drama that makes great use of the serial killer angle as a tool to tell some great stories. I guess I'm in the minority, but I also really love the sister character (Debra).
  50. Jan 21, 2011
    I started watching this show about mid way through the season with my dad. Then I decided I should watch it all the way through. And let me tell you, from that moment on I became a Dexter addict. Obviously, Michael C. Hall's portrayal of Dexter Morgan is as good of an acting job I have ever seen on TV. Obviously Doakes is hilarious and a wonderful supporting character. And of courseI started watching this show about mid way through the season with my dad. Then I decided I should watch it all the way through. And let me tell you, from that moment on I became a Dexter addict. Obviously, Michael C. Hall's portrayal of Dexter Morgan is as good of an acting job I have ever seen on TV. Obviously Doakes is hilarious and a wonderful supporting character. And of course there's the Ice Truck Killer. The Ice Truck Killer was extremely captivating, but the way he got to Dexter is pure brilliance. Fantastic... Expand
  51. Feb 5, 2011
    At first it looked outrageous to me and made me nauseous. Then the strong scenes made me realize he is just as human as anybody else. If you can stop watching it, do it!!! I couldn't. Simply the best show ever!!!
  52. Feb 12, 2011
    Excellent show! Very dark and witty!!! Michael C Hall is fantastic! He makes you believe he's Dexter Morgan. The writing in this show is fantastic I wasn't a big fan of season 5 but I still love the show!!! Season 4 by far the best season!!!
  53. Aug 17, 2011
    The first season of Dexter proved to be really good. Not only when compared with the next ones but also when seen at first. Michael C. Hall pretty much plays this season alone, as the other cast is not so good.
    Intro of the first ep. is very powerful, but lies at what we are able to expect from the rest. Actually, Dexter wasn`t as brutal in the following episodes. Anyway, the music is good, the acting is bearable. The story in the first season is particulary good, as getting to know the main character is interesting on its own. Dexter doesn`t really know who or what he is either.
  54. Apr 8, 2011
    A masterpiece. Thrilling, exciting! One of my all time favorite shows ans I love the first season just as much as any of the others. I LOVE Dexter's character and Michael C Hall plays him perfectly. Dokes is awesome as well. Dexter's sister too. Those 3 are my favorite characters. Don't listen to the whiney babies who can't take a little murder and gore. They're probably liberals. (I'm NOTA masterpiece. Thrilling, exciting! One of my all time favorite shows ans I love the first season just as much as any of the others. I LOVE Dexter's character and Michael C Hall plays him perfectly. Dokes is awesome as well. Dexter's sister too. Those 3 are my favorite characters. Don't listen to the whiney babies who can't take a little murder and gore. They're probably liberals. (I'm NOT conservative). And ignore the people who say it's too unbelievable.. blah blah blah. It's entertainment! This show is great. Near perfect. I can't give it a 9.5, so it gets a 10! Expand
  55. Mar 13, 2011
    This is the best season of one of the best shows on TV it is astounding how easy it is to love a sadistic and twisted serial killer who has no emotion the entire plot is chilling and suspenseful in a way that is rare to find and to be applaud by its gore and dislike it simply do to that fact is a travesty. The man is a psychopath killing psychopaths the is nothing mundane let alone happyThis is the best season of one of the best shows on TV it is astounding how easy it is to love a sadistic and twisted serial killer who has no emotion the entire plot is chilling and suspenseful in a way that is rare to find and to be applaud by its gore and dislike it simply do to that fact is a travesty. The man is a psychopath killing psychopaths the is nothing mundane let alone happy about that fact. Expand
  56. Mar 28, 2011
    The introduction to Dexter, the introduction to the next addiction. Can you anyway tell me why I see under some critics with less than 150 characters and me I have to fulfil this stupid contract in order to submit this review
  57. Apr 28, 2011
    Original and gripping storyline. Michael C. Hall kills it (proverbially) as a serial killer hunting serial killers. Badass show. I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the writers of the show definitely know how to make EPIC finales.
  58. Apr 2, 2013
    A number of the best TV shows of the last decade seem to have featured an anti-hero in the lead role (The Sopranos, The Shield, and Breaking Bad) and Dexter can certainly be counted alongside the very best.
    Based on a series of novels Dexter centres around the life of serial killer Dexter Morgan. Unlike most serial killers however he has a code. Taught to him by his foster father the code states that he can only kill people who 'deserve' it and, thanks to his work as a blood splatter analyst for the Miami Police department, he is in the perfect position to find his victims.

Michael C Hall (who many will know from Six Feet Under) is superb in the title role as a man trying to hide his true nature from the world and even during regular scenes you can always see a glint of the dangerous man that lurks just below the surface. This first season focuses heavily on the 'ice truck killer' another serial killer that, unlike Dexter, isn’t worried about keeping his killings a secret. Dexter’s fascination with his fellow serial killer and the way in which it affects his relationships with friends and family, all of whom are played superbly, is brilliantly written and makes for some unique and fascinating television.

Everything eventually builds to an intense and unexpected conclusion making the first season of Dexter amongst the very best openings to any drama series seen on TV.
  59. Jun 9, 2011
    The best, most compelling show on television. Michael C. Hall is brilliant and compulsively watchable, and almost without exception, the seasons are tightly, beautifully plotted. The first season in particular is one of the best full seasons of TV I have ever seen.
  60. Jul 10, 2011
    The problem with Dexter in my eyes is, despite some terrific storylines and a great lead performance by Michael C. Hall, there are often extraneous subplots that get boring quickly as the side characters seem very shallow and ill-developed. Still, at it's best, such as in this season, Dexter himself is made interesting enough and given interesting enough dramatic decisions that it makesThe problem with Dexter in my eyes is, despite some terrific storylines and a great lead performance by Michael C. Hall, there are often extraneous subplots that get boring quickly as the side characters seem very shallow and ill-developed. Still, at it's best, such as in this season, Dexter himself is made interesting enough and given interesting enough dramatic decisions that it makes for a very satisfying, exhilarating watch with some intriguing moral questions. Expand
  61. Aug 4, 2011
    One of my top 3 shows that I currently watch. I'm sure everyone knows the main idea behind the show and the character. I am really looking forward to season 6, because I thought season 5 didn't stack up to the other seasons but still good television.
  62. Aug 8, 2011
    Even though the monologues of Michael C. Hall got a little getting used to, I must say that this show is one of my favorites. I will admit the the graphic nature of Dexter might not be everyone's cup of tea but I personally saw past it after the first episode. This show has amazing acting and a great variety of personalities and to back up a great concept the turned into an even better plot.
  63. Sep 13, 2011
    love this show ... it's awesome funny exciting keep's you on your toe's can't wait to see season 6. keep em coming!!! what i like most about it is he's a serial killer killing bad people which is different an he live's well trys to live a normal life while killing for his hobby i really think this is a great show its very interesting me an all my friend's an family watch it .
  64. Nov 7, 2012
    This show was great until season 5 and then it starts to lose its raw character. By season 7, the killings are minimal (which take a lot way), the story is trying to be complicated and its just a terrible AND predictable. Nudity went out the window in season 6 to appeal to a larger audience. Not that its a big deal, but it def contrubuted to the raw character the show had. I am not likingThis show was great until season 5 and then it starts to lose its raw character. By season 7, the killings are minimal (which take a lot way), the story is trying to be complicated and its just a terrible AND predictable. Nudity went out the window in season 6 to appeal to a larger audience. Not that its a big deal, but it def contrubuted to the raw character the show had. I am not liking seaon 7 at all. Its just everything QQing.....turned into a soap opera... Expand
  65. Nov 13, 2011
    Dexter is the best TV-series on air, i love every minute of it!
    The story is about Dexter, he is a serial killer. When he was a kid his mother died in front of him, and that made him a serial killer. But nobody knows he is a serial killer, so he have to pretend that he is a normal person, and that can be though
  66. Nov 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The series as a whole is fantastic, real originality; and Michael C. Hall looks and plays the part well. Dexter is up there with Lost, in terms of that urge to watch the next episode; often resulting in late nights and tiresome mornings, which the other half/work don't appreciate too much. The different perspectives used to make you relate to each and every "Main" character is a touch of genius, especially when we're talking about serial killers. The narrative throughout some how justifies the brutality for the 50 minutes or so you are tuned in each week.

The only negatives I, personally, can see with the production is the failure to evolutionise the characters surrounding Dexter Morgan. No one seems to change, and the real world is constantly changing in terms of personal opinions. Also the producers seem to find it hard to truly kill off a character, they're always re-appearing in cameos; Most recently Christian Camargo's return, rather pointless and sometimes annoying. It takes away from the characters memory, if that makes sense.

Over all I would recommend this show to anyone (above a certain age).
  67. Nov 21, 2011
    Brilliant story, great in depth character investment, shocking plot twists. You get it all with Dexter. You are thrown right into the life of a serial killer with a code of ethics and learn about the dark side of humanity (or the series writers). Always entertaining and good episode cliffhangers. 5 out of 5 here!
  68. Apr 13, 2013
    Liked the general idea behind this show a lot.
    Something different that got me hooked quickly after watching the first episodes.
    While the main plot may be predictable, it still is driven by new ideas, well written characters and a bit of humor all playing together and adding up to one of my favourite shows.
  69. Dec 20, 2011
    Very exciting unusual story series.
    Impressed by the protagonist.
    I like this movie series. I hope that the extension will be even more interesting.
  70. Dec 25, 2011
    Season 1 of Dexter is easily the most captivating 12 episodes of anything I have seen so far in my life. After seeing probably the first 2 episodes you are just hooked and you really want to know what happens. It's hard to grab my attention like that with tv shows. One day I wouldn't mind watching all 12 back-to-back; it would be the best/longest movie ever!
  71. Dec 27, 2011
    Dexter took the pretty good novel series and made it incredible. Fueled by amazing acting all-around, Dexter is sure to satisfy. Dexter: Season 1, is the second best of all the Dexter seasons.
  72. Jan 9, 2012
    Simply an amazing season, and by far the best. This season is unique, because of the connection Dex has with the Ice Truck Killer, and the game they're playing. It also offers insight into Dexter as a person, and his traumatic past, what made him the way he is. In this season he is so badass, but still has a lot of trouble with his last kill. You'll find out why, just watch this! AmazingSimply an amazing season, and by far the best. This season is unique, because of the connection Dex has with the Ice Truck Killer, and the game they're playing. It also offers insight into Dexter as a person, and his traumatic past, what made him the way he is. In this season he is so badass, but still has a lot of trouble with his last kill. You'll find out why, just watch this! Amazing piece of TV. Expand
  73. Jan 18, 2012
    While this last season had it's flaws Dexter still manages to deliver the characters are well written and ones you grow an attachment to. Karen is a character I adore she is your loud mouthed woman with a big heart and is a strong woman with no punches. I like the fact that the cast is mixed of race with some very good Latino actors and actresses. Nice to see Mos Def in there while aWhile this last season had it's flaws Dexter still manages to deliver the characters are well written and ones you grow an attachment to. Karen is a character I adore she is your loud mouthed woman with a big heart and is a strong woman with no punches. I like the fact that the cast is mixed of race with some very good Latino actors and actresses. Nice to see Mos Def in there while a shorter role he did amazing. This show still continues to deliver. Expand
  74. Jan 28, 2012
    It tries hard to be a genre buster, and well, succeeds to a certain extent; despite stumbling into the pit cliches once in a while. Undoubtedly Michael Hall's fine acting skills give Dexter its required edge.
  75. Aug 2, 2014
    Season 1 was from the beginning till the end was my favorite season of all TV-series ever. The plot about the killer was characterized very detailed and the perfomance of the actors was breathtaking good.
  76. Aug 5, 2012
    My favourite tv series of all time! The first season is probably one of best, the origin of this series that have something special, the brute form of Dexter, with one of the best endings
  77. Jun 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give the first season a 9 for the following reasons and I do not full fault them for it.
    A. I was not in it. Not their fault I just now got my memory back!
    B. After 15 years Jeff thinks he did it all himself.
    I would give it a ten if Dexter was closer to the truth with his fictional version self. I know Dexters soul like no other including Jeff Lindsay(hey dude why you diss me 15 years ago?)
    And yes guys its me. I am the person Dexter is based on and I really like Michael C Halls interpretations of my dark character. Just google my name to know the whole story.
    I'm just so happy I got my memory back!
  78. Jul 5, 2012
    This has to be my favorite show on television right now (June 14, 2011). The next season will be the sixth of Showtime's adaption of the books by Jeff Lindsay. Michael C. Hall (bad guy from Gamer) has the star role as Dexter. Dexter is a blood spatter analyst in the police department of Miami, Florida. He had an unusual childhood where he would kill things such as animals. He laterThis has to be my favorite show on television right now (June 14, 2011). The next season will be the sixth of Showtime's adaption of the books by Jeff Lindsay. Michael C. Hall (bad guy from Gamer) has the star role as Dexter. Dexter is a blood spatter analyst in the police department of Miami, Florida. He had an unusual childhood where he would kill things such as animals. He later hungers for more as an adult. With the help of his step dad he learns to control his cravings by killing humans that deserve it. He is only training Dexter with tips and advice which are known as The Code. Dexter develops his own techniques on his own by following The Code. His victims are usually people that have killed other innocent people. This helps him deal with what he calls is his Dark Passenger. Dexter also seems to have no feelings (it is found out why later in the show) Thanks to his job in the Miami Police Department; he can gather data on criminals and be sure of his that his future victims are true criminals. Dexter can also cover his mistakes, if he has any, by tampering with blood evidence to go in his favor. Their is a lot more to this show; like how he manages his relationship with Rita (mom from No Ordinary Family), visions of his past, and much more (I don't want to spoil the show). I would highly recommend this show to anyone who would like to see a darker version of CSI. Because after all, Dexter is a good guy that kills the bad guys. From the season's that have been released so far, I would say that the order from best to worst is: season 4, season 1, season 2, season 5, season 3. Once you read this and decide to witness this show for yourself be sure you watch it from the beginning. Expand
  79. Jul 27, 2013
    Season 1 of Dexter was outstanding! The character development of Dexter's character was great and the flash backs of him as a child learning the code were great and really showed Dexter's progression as a killer. Acting by the entire cast was amazing and the ice truck killer was an excellent and creepy villain. Also the way that Dexter's past tied into the present plot was very well done.Season 1 of Dexter was outstanding! The character development of Dexter's character was great and the flash backs of him as a child learning the code were great and really showed Dexter's progression as a killer. Acting by the entire cast was amazing and the ice truck killer was an excellent and creepy villain. Also the way that Dexter's past tied into the present plot was very well done. All and all this season shows that Dexter is a show that you can't help but be enthralled in because of it's perfect mix of darkness and humor and lovable murdering lead. Expand
  80. Jun 26, 2014
    The further I got into this series the more I couldn't stand Michael Hall's voice and the annoying characters that kept getting piled on. If you stopped around season 3 or so you might save yourself.
  81. Dec 23, 2012
    truely one of a kind. superb main character and story, everything is just perfect. i love that moment when an episode ends and you're like "mhh... this one was not so thrilling" ...but then the last 30seconds hit you right in the face. so happy i found this.
  82. Oct 28, 2012
    This first season grabbed my attention from the first 5 minuets. From the incredible characters to the amazing finale, Dexter's first season was incredible.
  83. Nov 9, 2012
    A compelling show, with well developed characters and intriguing subplots. Dexter is also riddled with secrets, and watching the characters discover them is what will keep you hooked.
  84. Apr 21, 2013
    Words cannot express, how much I love this show. Michael C. Hall gives probably one of the best performances I've seen in a TV show ever. Dexter is one of the most rounded characters I've ever encountered in my years of watching TV. Its dramatic, suspenseful, witty, at some points funny and just down-right addictive. The final season of Dexter premiers June 30th, so I suggest you find roomWords cannot express, how much I love this show. Michael C. Hall gives probably one of the best performances I've seen in a TV show ever. Dexter is one of the most rounded characters I've ever encountered in my years of watching TV. Its dramatic, suspenseful, witty, at some points funny and just down-right addictive. The final season of Dexter premiers June 30th, so I suggest you find room in your schedule to fit Dexter in because seasons 1 through 7 will have your face GLUED to your television. Well, what are you waiting for? Its on Netflix! Expand
  85. Feb 9, 2015
    This show started so well, seasons 1-4 were all brilliant character studies of a deranged serial killer. They had great music, a brilliantly complex protagonist/antagonist in dexter and each season had an intriguing villain that made each season fresh.
    Then we got seasons 5-8.
    Then we got seasons 5-8.
    Dexter massively overstayed its welcome, with plot lines that started up and disappeared instantly, side characters that got too much screen time and unmemorable antagonists all made the show repetitive. It lost its edge, and became more about Dexter's relationships than it did his psychopathic tendencies. As Dexter was humanised, the show became another standard show. Lessons we learnt about Dexter in seasons 1-4 were constantly repeated and the ending, my god it is terrible.
    Check out seasons 1-4, amazing, 10/10 television, after that, well, I would leave it alone.
  86. Nov 25, 2012
    The original season of Dexter is an anomaly of television. It crafts a character that, by all intents and purposes, is a terrible person and would be executed if discovered. The catch is that he's one of the most magnetic, fascinating, and surprisingly likable characters on all of television. This can be accredited to the show's dark atmosphere, sharp dialogue, dark comedy, situationalThe original season of Dexter is an anomaly of television. It crafts a character that, by all intents and purposes, is a terrible person and would be executed if discovered. The catch is that he's one of the most magnetic, fascinating, and surprisingly likable characters on all of television. This can be accredited to the show's dark atmosphere, sharp dialogue, dark comedy, situational irony, acting (mainly by lead Michael C. Hall), and engaging plot following the illusive and complex Ice Truck Killer. After rewatching the premiere season, I have rekindled my love for the show in its recent failures, inconsistencies, and plot holes. Personally I feel that every successive season has made the show less a character study and more an overall drama. For example, the first season focused almost entirely on Dexter and his actions, while now in season seven we are also following around Quinn (who no one likes anyway) as he deals with the owners of a strip club. The original will always be the best. Expand
  87. Nov 28, 2012
    The best show on television showtime is awesome and my dick gets hard every sunday night without a doubt. I jerk off to this show all the time. Watch this show
  88. Dec 1, 2012
    Not since Lost has any show grabbed my attention to such a degree. It was a fantastical idea, but I was ready to lose myself in it. They should have wrapped up the show in five seasons, and not resorted to formulaic storytelling. It could have been a classic. Nevertheless, season 1 holds a great place in my heart. It is pretty much self contained, and its a must watch. After that, decideNot since Lost has any show grabbed my attention to such a degree. It was a fantastical idea, but I was ready to lose myself in it. They should have wrapped up the show in five seasons, and not resorted to formulaic storytelling. It could have been a classic. Nevertheless, season 1 holds a great place in my heart. It is pretty much self contained, and its a must watch. After that, decide for yourself if you want to proceed, because it gets only worse until season 4. Expand
  89. Dec 15, 2012
    Great TV show, very interesting to watch as this has a great plot as Michael C. Hall portrays Dexter very well. It is very hard to believe that Dexter Morgan, a blood splatter analyst working at Miami Police Department is the Bay Harbor Butcher.
  90. Jul 3, 2013
    Wow. This show always keeps me entertained, no matter what! Every episode is full of suspense, drama, and non stop action that will always leave you begging for more. At the end of each episode I find myself needing to see the next one, which is a great thing when it comes to TV shows. I am in the middle of the second season and if you watch this show you will surly never be disappointed.
  91. Jan 28, 2013
    I have just spent most of January catching up on 7 seasons of Dexter. That is 84 episodes. Well it is actually 168 episodes as I have watched them all twice. Breaking Bad and Weeds are terrific shows but for me they don't come close to this complex portrayal of a vigilante serial Killer. He is the ultimate super hero for adults.My new mantra is not ,'What would Jesus do?' but 'What wouldI have just spent most of January catching up on 7 seasons of Dexter. That is 84 episodes. Well it is actually 168 episodes as I have watched them all twice. Breaking Bad and Weeds are terrific shows but for me they don't come close to this complex portrayal of a vigilante serial Killer. He is the ultimate super hero for adults.My new mantra is not ,'What would Jesus do?' but 'What would Dexter do?' Nobody can fly like Spider man and nobody can pick locks or fight and kill like Dexter, but it is a great fantasy. Expand
  92. Sep 22, 2014
    Achei este seriado com um ritmo muito arrastado, apesar de bom. O final realmente é surpreendente, mas nada de demais também, não chega a impressionar. O modelo de uma solução de crime por temporada (pelo menos na 1) é interessante, porém, nao prende a atenção. Longe de seriados empolgante que você não consegue de parar de ver (a la Lost).
  93. Jan 12, 2014
    Really no big qualms with the show, excepts the quality started steadily decreasing during season 5, and the ending was less than satisfactory and quite disappointing.
  94. May 25, 2013
    One of the best and memorable and most original tv shows of all time. Not too long, not too short, not one boring episode, very interesting characters with super engaging main plot.
  95. May 23, 2013
    Dexter..... this show blows my mind....
  96. Jun 2, 2013
    This is the greatest TV series by far. The writer has done a great job of keeping you on your toes each and every episode. Each character is very unique and do an extremely good job of being there own person. Michael C. Hall as Dexter Morgan's character has such a great twist to each and every move. Great TV series!
  97. Jun 6, 2013
    One of the most amazing shows on TV. Seeing how Dexter gets himself out of sticky situations from season to season is a pure pleasure to watch. Did I mention this show is amazing?
  98. Jul 11, 2013
    Dexter is an enjoyable series that is constantly entertaining. There are several characters who are all brilliant in their own ways and of course Dexter who you go along his great journey of ridding the world of bad guys while ducking and diving Miami Metro of catching himself, the Bay Harbour Butcher.
    Certainly worth a watch, laughed plenty and loads of oh my god, oh my god" moments.
    I'm half way through season 6 and still enjoy it.
    Do it!
  99. Jun 25, 2013
    Dexter is an absolutely brilliant TV show. Dexter Morgan is the most loved serial killer ever and is absolutely deserving of many more awards. What more could you want in a tv show, it's absolutely fantastic. The writers are very smart and there are always suspenseful moments where I'm falling off my chair of excitement!
  100. Jul 3, 2013
    cant see how anyone could not like this show. awesome, suspenseful, sad, funny. cant believe its ending soon. if you haven't seen it get out there and rent every season and watch them all...TONIGHT!

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Reviewed by: Adam Sternbergh
    Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.