Dexter : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.1

1. Apr 2, 2013
    A number of the best TV shows of the last decade seem to have featured an anti-hero in the lead role (The Sopranos, The Shield, and Breaking Bad) and Dexter can certainly be counted alongside the very best.
    Based on a series of novels Dexter centres around the life of serial killer Dexter Morgan. Unlike most serial killers however he has a code. Taught to him by his foster father the code states that he can only kill people who 'deserve' it and, thanks to his work as a blood splatter analyst for the Miami Police department, he is in the perfect position to find his victims.

Michael C Hall (who many will know from Six Feet Under) is superb in the title role as a man trying to hide his true nature from the world and even during regular scenes you can always see a glint of the dangerous man that lurks just below the surface. This first season focuses heavily on the 'ice truck killer' another serial killer that, unlike Dexter, isn’t worried about keeping his killings a secret. Dexter’s fascination with his fellow serial killer and the way in which it affects his relationships with friends and family, all of whom are played superbly, is brilliantly written and makes for some unique and fascinating television.

Everything eventually builds to an intense and unexpected conclusion making the first season of Dexter amongst the very best openings to any drama series seen on TV.
  2. Jul 3, 2015
    Dexter isn't your average hero. Quite the opposite really. He's a serial killer. However the only people he kills are criminals. Particularly the ones that have escaped justice. The show is partially about that and how he tries to hide it in everyday life. He works in forensics, maintains a relationship, and is overall pretty good at hiding his true self. The other part of the show is anDexter isn't your average hero. Quite the opposite really. He's a serial killer. However the only people he kills are criminals. Particularly the ones that have escaped justice. The show is partially about that and how he tries to hide it in everyday life. He works in forensics, maintains a relationship, and is overall pretty good at hiding his true self. The other part of the show is an involving character drama with some good cases. Dexter may be the star, but the side-characters are just as interesting.

Watching Dexter struggle with who he is and who he wants to be is incredibly compelling and the fantastic voice-over work for the characters thoughts is well-written. The character is more like normal, everyday people than even he thinks. For a man who even himself believes he doesn't have any feelings, he sure does care a lot about the people around him.

The plotting of this season is pretty great. We deal with Dexter and the rest of the police force he works with trying to catch a mysterious killer. Meanwhile Dexter's personal life gets caught up in the mix and his past starts to come forward. The incorporation of flashbacks to his teenage years and earlier help flesh out the character more. It's exciting to see how the lessons he learned back then made him who he is today. All of it is well-written and enjoyable to watch.

Given the nature of it's set-up this is a very violent show. Many might be put off by all of the blood and gore. It doesn't feel terribly excessive though. At least not in the sense that the show is just going for shock value. On the contrary, all of the kills and horror that unfold feel relevant to the plots at hand.

By far one of the most surprising aspects of this show though is the inclusion of a dark sense of humor. It adds a sense of light playfulness that keeps the show from getting too dark. Overall "Dexter" is a fantastic dark drama show. One that is only suitable for mature audiences. Regardless of the nature of it's content this is some top-notch entertainment. I highly recommend giving it a chance.

I give the first season a 9.1/10.
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    It's a solid show and it is good enough to sit through an entire season (12 episodes) but I dislike how slow paced it was, There could have been a better story behind it. Didn't really care for the guy who played the main villian of the season either, Although I do admit I have an incredibly high standard for tv show villains. Overall it's a good show and I am willing to give it another season.
  4. Feb 1, 2016
    Dexter's first season thrives on an intriguing central character with a dark secret that constantly threatens his well-being. The whole serial killer that kills people that get away with awful things is a great premise, but while Dexter is certainly a winner, its first season doesn't scream "instant classic". It's a jumping off point that gets carried for its unique spin on TV, and its aDexter's first season thrives on an intriguing central character with a dark secret that constantly threatens his well-being. The whole serial killer that kills people that get away with awful things is a great premise, but while Dexter is certainly a winner, its first season doesn't scream "instant classic". It's a jumping off point that gets carried for its unique spin on TV, and its a show that doesn't apologize for its occasional grit. After years of being told to watch this show, I'm finally getting my feet wet, and I'm glad I have. Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2010
    I'm shocked the critics review was only 77 for this show and truly hope they increase it over the next few seasons. This series gives an incredible view into the mind of serial killer. It has detailed forensic research to back-up interesting story-lines that make show believable and wonderfully three dimensional characters along with a talented cast of actors. What's not to like?
  6. Mar 11, 2011
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  7. Sep 1, 2015
    Dexter is violent, dark, and showcases an unsettling side of humanity. With the titular character narrating his own life as the story progresses, this show adds an uncomfortable sense of intimacy to the mix, which the charming Michael C. Hall only uses to his advantage. That being said, those who can buy into its deliberately brutal tone and unconventional style will find season one fascinating.
  8. Dec 1, 2012
    Not since Lost has any show grabbed my attention to such a degree. It was a fantastical idea, but I was ready to lose myself in it. They should have wrapped up the show in five seasons, and not resorted to formulaic storytelling. It could have been a classic. Nevertheless, season 1 holds a great place in my heart. It is pretty much self contained, and its a must watch. After that, decideNot since Lost has any show grabbed my attention to such a degree. It was a fantastical idea, but I was ready to lose myself in it. They should have wrapped up the show in five seasons, and not resorted to formulaic storytelling. It could have been a classic. Nevertheless, season 1 holds a great place in my heart. It is pretty much self contained, and its a must watch. After that, decide for yourself if you want to proceed, because it gets only worse until season 4. Expand
  9. Oct 19, 2013
    dexter the first season was almost perfect, she holds you with the story of a serial killer who kills serial killers and then comes another serial killer and end the season this mysterious serial killer makes a revelation of breathtaking.
  10. Jun 17, 2013
    Watched the pilot, wasn't convinced, it's introduction lacked a lot of stuff that would motivate me to watch the second episode. I heard it had so many bad seasons but so many acclaimed ones. And we all know this series is going to end.
  11. Nov 2, 2010
    Simple outstanding. This season was the best so far. I loved this show so much I started thinking like Dexter but without the blood lust, haha. I think anyone that is not too conservative will love this show and should watch it from the beginning.
  12. Apr 8, 2011
    A masterpiece. Thrilling, exciting! One of my all time favorite shows ans I love the first season just as much as any of the others. I LOVE Dexter's character and Michael C Hall plays him perfectly. Dokes is awesome as well. Dexter's sister too. Those 3 are my favorite characters. Don't listen to the whiney babies who can't take a little murder and gore. They're probably liberals. (I'm NOTA masterpiece. Thrilling, exciting! One of my all time favorite shows ans I love the first season just as much as any of the others. I LOVE Dexter's character and Michael C Hall plays him perfectly. Dokes is awesome as well. Dexter's sister too. Those 3 are my favorite characters. Don't listen to the whiney babies who can't take a little murder and gore. They're probably liberals. (I'm NOT conservative). And ignore the people who say it's too unbelievable.. blah blah blah. It's entertainment! This show is great. Near perfect. I can't give it a 9.5, so it gets a 10! Collapse
  13. Jul 27, 2013
    Season 1 of Dexter was outstanding! The character development of Dexter's character was great and the flash backs of him as a child learning the code were great and really showed Dexter's progression as a killer. Acting by the entire cast was amazing and the ice truck killer was an excellent and creepy villain. Also the way that Dexter's past tied into the present plot was very well done.Season 1 of Dexter was outstanding! The character development of Dexter's character was great and the flash backs of him as a child learning the code were great and really showed Dexter's progression as a killer. Acting by the entire cast was amazing and the ice truck killer was an excellent and creepy villain. Also the way that Dexter's past tied into the present plot was very well done. All and all this season shows that Dexter is a show that you can't help but be enthralled in because of it's perfect mix of darkness and humor and lovable murdering lead. Expand
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    A compelling show, with well developed characters and intriguing subplots. Dexter is also riddled with secrets, and watching the characters discover them is what will keep you hooked.
  15. Nov 17, 2013
    I finally started watching 'Dexter'. It is great. Original,clever, & unexpected twists. That is all I really have to say about this really interesting show.
  16. Aug 15, 2013
    Dexter is a darkly comic character study of a deranged mind which proves to be an excellent start, and an excellent concept.
    There are quite a few flaws in the show's formula, mainly the lack of interesting characters or any kind of decent righting outside of the main, title character, and the villain he's after, but in this case, one great character is enough to pull the first season through.
    On top of its other few flaws, too much is revealed about our main "protagonist" right off the bat, eliminating any sense of mystery about the inner workings of what makes Dexter Morgan tick, which is a real shame given how mysterious a character Dexter is to everyone else on the outside.
    But, all things said, it's very enjoyable, and an excellent start.
  17. Nov 15, 2013
    Dexter um amável maníaco homicida, um psicopata que usa criminosos assassinos para saciar sua sede de sangue, apos matar ele corta suas vitimas em pedaços coloca em sacos e laça no fundo do mar, depois vai pra casa viver sua vida de cidadão comum. A serie não abusa de sua premissa e constrói personagens secundários de grande personalidade criando uma teia dramática incrível.
  18. Oct 13, 2010
    Daily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror orDaily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror or violence. Played to perfection by Michael C. Hall, Dexter is a unique horror show that showcases the darkest aspects of humanity and never hides away from the fact that it is a monstrosity. Strangely addictive, this is compelling drama. Expand
  19. Jun 4, 2014
    The first was truly the best. Season 1 was Dexter at his darkest, a chilling monster with a demented moral code. It also ends perfectly, unlike all the seasons which followed it. Great television. If you're new to the series I would even go so far as to suggest you treat Dexter as a miniseries and only watch this season. (if not, at least stop after season 4.)
  20. Jul 10, 2011
    The problem with Dexter in my eyes is, despite some terrific storylines and a great lead performance by Michael C. Hall, there are often extraneous subplots that get boring quickly as the side characters seem very shallow and ill-developed. Still, at it's best, such as in this season, Dexter himself is made interesting enough and given interesting enough dramatic decisions that it makesThe problem with Dexter in my eyes is, despite some terrific storylines and a great lead performance by Michael C. Hall, there are often extraneous subplots that get boring quickly as the side characters seem very shallow and ill-developed. Still, at it's best, such as in this season, Dexter himself is made interesting enough and given interesting enough dramatic decisions that it makes for a very satisfying, exhilarating watch with some intriguing moral questions. Expand
  21. May 21, 2013
    A unique story about a serial killer who works with the Miami metro homicide, what more could want in a t.v show. It is just AWESOME. The direction is also very good. The writers have given a certain amount of depth to the characters which the writers do not focus on these days.
  22. Nov 23, 2013
    This is one of my favorite show. Sure not every season is a pure 5 out of 5 stars, but all in all its amazing. Michael C. Hall is amazing and its my believe that this is his best role ever.
  23. May 25, 2013
    One of the best and memorable and most original tv shows of all time. Not too long, not too short, not one boring episode, very interesting characters with super engaging main plot.
  24. Apr 28, 2011
    Original and gripping storyline. Michael C. Hall kills it (proverbially) as a serial killer hunting serial killers. Badass show. I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the writers of the show definitely know how to make EPIC finales.
  25. Dec 25, 2011
    Season 1 of Dexter is easily the most captivating 12 episodes of anything I have seen so far in my life. After seeing probably the first 2 episodes you are just hooked and you really want to know what happens. It's hard to grab my attention like that with tv shows. One day I wouldn't mind watching all 12 back-to-back; it would be the best/longest movie ever!
  26. Sep 24, 2013
    Dexter Season 1 is one of my of my favorite ever. Between Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of those shows, this season ranks with them for me. and in my opinion the best season. The acting is all amazing, especially Michael C Hall (Dexter) and Jennifer Carpenter (Deb). The plot is fantastic with an incredible villain, and some huge twists on his real identity. I suggestDexter Season 1 is one of my of my favorite ever. Between Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of those shows, this season ranks with them for me. and in my opinion the best season. The acting is all amazing, especially Michael C Hall (Dexter) and Jennifer Carpenter (Deb). The plot is fantastic with an incredible villain, and some huge twists on his real identity. I suggest this season to everyone. Expand
  27. Jan 28, 2012
    It tries hard to be a genre buster, and well, succeeds to a certain extent; despite stumbling into the pit cliches once in a while. Undoubtedly Michael Hall's fine acting skills give Dexter its required edge.
  28. Nov 28, 2012
    The best show on television showtime is awesome and my dick gets hard every sunday night without a doubt. I jerk off to this show all the time. Watch this show
  29. Aug 8, 2011
    Even though the monologues of Michael C. Hall got a little getting used to, I must say that this show is one of my favorites. I will admit the the graphic nature of Dexter might not be everyone's cup of tea but I personally saw past it after the first episode. This show has amazing acting and a great variety of personalities and to back up a great concept the turned into an even better plot.
  30. Jan 9, 2012
    Simply an amazing season, and by far the best. This season is unique, because of the connection Dex has with the Ice Truck Killer, and the game they're playing. It also offers insight into Dexter as a person, and his traumatic past, what made him the way he is. In this season he is so badass, but still has a lot of trouble with his last kill. You'll find out why, just watch this! AmazingSimply an amazing season, and by far the best. This season is unique, because of the connection Dex has with the Ice Truck Killer, and the game they're playing. It also offers insight into Dexter as a person, and his traumatic past, what made him the way he is. In this season he is so badass, but still has a lot of trouble with his last kill. You'll find out why, just watch this! Amazing piece of TV. Expand
  31. Sep 17, 2014
    I can see how people liked this show. I watched a few episodes and it's interesting and I guess it's okay. I just never really got into it or found it mind blowingly amazing or particularly good I guess....meh
  32. Oct 8, 2010
    Dexter is awesome. this was enjoyable to watch straight from the beginning and right through the seasons. seeing his character develop through the crazy events that occur through the first season.
  33. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  34. Oct 28, 2012
    This first season grabbed my attention from the first 5 minuets. From the incredible characters to the amazing finale, Dexter's first season was incredible.
  35. May 23, 2013
    Dexter..... this show blows my mind....
  36. Jul 10, 2013
    Alongside Breaking Bad, Dexter is the best a TV show can offer you today with gripping story, powerful acting and a lot of plot twists. I can only wonder how the creators of these shows come up with such brilliant ideas.
  37. Jun 11, 2015
    A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter -A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter - but this Dexter is cool too. Just different. I'm glad the direction of the show and character changed though.

Best Episode(s): Dexter/Born Free.
    Worst Episode: Return to Sender.
  38. Aug 20, 2011
    The first season of Dexter, to me, is a must see for anyone who can stomach the concept of a serial as the main character. The plot of the first season is pretty tight and well-written with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Every actor does a superb job and the show is full of interesting characters and sharp, clever writing, Masuka's jokes notwithstanding. If you find the showsThe first season of Dexter, to me, is a must see for anyone who can stomach the concept of a serial as the main character. The plot of the first season is pretty tight and well-written with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Every actor does a superb job and the show is full of interesting characters and sharp, clever writing, Masuka's jokes notwithstanding. If you find the shows premise cheesy or too disturbing then skip it, but for everyone else, you are in for a treat. Expand
  39. Aug 17, 2011
    The first season of Dexter proved to be really good. Not only when compared with the next ones but also when seen at first. Michael C. Hall pretty much plays this season alone, as the other cast is not so good.
    Intro of the first ep. is very powerful, but lies at what we are able to expect from the rest. Actually, Dexter wasn`t as brutal in the following episodes. Anyway, the music is good, the acting is bearable. The story in the first season is particulary good, as getting to know the main character is interesting on its own. Dexter doesn`t really know who or what he is either.
  40. Apr 13, 2013
    Liked the general idea behind this show a lot.
    Something different that got me hooked quickly after watching the first episodes.
    While the main plot may be predictable, it still is driven by new ideas, well written characters and a bit of humor all playing together and adding up to one of my favourite shows.
  41. Jan 12, 2014
    Really no big qualms with the show, excepts the quality started steadily decreasing during season 5, and the ending was less than satisfactory and quite disappointing.
  42. Aug 19, 2013
    Michael C. Hall stars in this ShowTime show 'Dexter'. Dexter is a great TV show, it is a incredibly gripping show. When Dexter, a forensic serial-killer, is faced with an admiring serial killer who seems to keep intruding into his kills.

Michael C. Hall is very believable character and I love seeing his conflict between being human and being what he is compelled to be, a killer. Hall's narration throughout episodes, I love he is very good at it. I enjoyed the narration which is a nod to the classic film American Psycho.

The series as a whole is very strong, the developing story line over the series is epic and a great watch even better when you consider how well planned out and written the episodes are.

A series everyone who isn't afraid of blood should check out. Never a weak episode.
  43. Jan 13, 2016
    Weirdly although the main character seems a bit odd you kinda start feeling for him. This show has a very bold and never seen before plot with some major twists and turns.
  44. CBZ
    Mar 8, 2011
    This is a great show, taking crime investigations to a whole new level. You will not regret giving Dexter a chance, it will get you addicted if you are thrilled by murder stories you are not scared of blood.
  45. Dec 1, 2010
    It is bloody fun! Dexter and Debra make a great cast with Dexter's Michael C. Hall gripping serial killer performance made it even better. The award-winning show in its 5th season and "Dexter" still has that spark that manages to catch us off guard every episode. Keep killing Dexter!
  46. Jan 6, 2011
    Love this show. One of the best of all-time, in my opinion. It's not just a show about a serial killer with a conscience. It's simply an outstanding drama that makes great use of the serial killer angle as a tool to tell some great stories. I guess I'm in the minority, but I also really love the sister character (Debra).
  47. Jun 9, 2011
    The best, most compelling show on television. Michael C. Hall is brilliant and compulsively watchable, and almost without exception, the seasons are tightly, beautifully plotted. The first season in particular is one of the best full seasons of TV I have ever seen.
  48. Nov 7, 2012
    This show was great until season 5 and then it starts to lose its raw character. By season 7, the killings are minimal (which take a lot way), the story is trying to be complicated and its just a terrible AND predictable. Nudity went out the window in season 6 to appeal to a larger audience. Not that its a big deal, but it def contrubuted to the raw character the show had. I am not likingThis show was great until season 5 and then it starts to lose its raw character. By season 7, the killings are minimal (which take a lot way), the story is trying to be complicated and its just a terrible AND predictable. Nudity went out the window in season 6 to appeal to a larger audience. Not that its a big deal, but it def contrubuted to the raw character the show had. I am not liking seaon 7 at all. Its just everything QQing.....turned into a soap opera... Expand
  49. Jan 18, 2012
    While this last season had it's flaws Dexter still manages to deliver the characters are well written and ones you grow an attachment to. Karen is a character I adore she is your loud mouthed woman with a big heart and is a strong woman with no punches. I like the fact that the cast is mixed of race with some very good Latino actors and actresses. Nice to see Mos Def in there while aWhile this last season had it's flaws Dexter still manages to deliver the characters are well written and ones you grow an attachment to. Karen is a character I adore she is your loud mouthed woman with a big heart and is a strong woman with no punches. I like the fact that the cast is mixed of race with some very good Latino actors and actresses. Nice to see Mos Def in there while a shorter role he did amazing. This show still continues to deliver. Expand
  50. Feb 9, 2015
    This show started so well, seasons 1-4 were all brilliant character studies of a deranged serial killer. They had great music, a brilliantly complex protagonist/antagonist in dexter and each season had an intriguing villain that made each season fresh.
    Then we got seasons 5-8.
    Then we got seasons 5-8.
    Dexter massively overstayed its welcome, with plot lines that started up and disappeared instantly, side characters that got too much screen time and unmemorable antagonists all made the show repetitive. It lost its edge, and became more about Dexter's relationships than it did his psychopathic tendencies. As Dexter was humanised, the show became another standard show. Lessons we learnt about Dexter in seasons 1-4 were constantly repeated and the ending, my god it is terrible.
    Check out seasons 1-4, amazing, 10/10 television, after that, well, I would leave it alone.
  51. Mar 26, 2014
    Excellent first season - I read the books and this is definitely superlative to the source material - I'm sure even the author would agree... don't you?
  52. Dec 17, 2010
    With a title sequence that will stay with you to the grave, this is a television drama that cannot be outdone in it's immersive plots and range of characters performed to an absolute tee by it's cast. The liberal agenda's guilty indulgence; by no other hand but the protagonists would his dirty deeds seem 'not so' contentious. Sadistic, horrifying, and charmingly captivating. If you canWith a title sequence that will stay with you to the grave, this is a television drama that cannot be outdone in it's immersive plots and range of characters performed to an absolute tee by it's cast. The liberal agenda's guilty indulgence; by no other hand but the protagonists would his dirty deeds seem 'not so' contentious. Sadistic, horrifying, and charmingly captivating. If you can tolerate the former (and with a string of films in the Saw mould overtaking Hollywood it'd you may have to) you may just find yourself coming to the conclusion that this is the best television drama you've ever set your eyes upon (genuinely); as an insight into the darkest reaches of the (and by that i mean 'our', as in 'all of us') of the human psyche. Expand
  53. Oct 29, 2012
    Season1 was excellent ... but the writers of S7 are amateurs .. they have completely squandered the opportunity to create some very interesting reflections on humanity. What they give is is formulaic melodramatic crap
  54. Feb 12, 2011
    Excellent show! Very dark and witty!!! Michael C Hall is fantastic! He makes you believe he's Dexter Morgan. The writing in this show is fantastic I wasn't a big fan of season 5 but I still love the show!!! Season 4 by far the best season!!!
  55. Oct 9, 2011
    The character Dexter is what works about this TV series. Dexter is someone that many can connect with (not being serial killers but in the sense of not being understood by others, having a dark secret, not 'feeling' like others feel, etc). While watching this series I did enjoy listening to Dexter and enjoyed his overall character arc. HOWEVER there is so much nonsense that fills the plot.The character Dexter is what works about this TV series. Dexter is someone that many can connect with (not being serial killers but in the sense of not being understood by others, having a dark secret, not 'feeling' like others feel, etc). While watching this series I did enjoy listening to Dexter and enjoyed his overall character arc. HOWEVER there is so much nonsense that fills the plot. The way police, homicide and forensic investigators act and are portrayed in Dexter are TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, the writers must think that their audience is either totally stupid or will believe every bit of police nonsense that makes up each episode. There is the regular filler that makes up half of each episode to stretch the plot across a season (which makes up most TV by the way), and I also have issues with the way that a serial killer is portrayed (I feel rather uncomfortable to the way that Dexter is meant to be a good guy while being a killer). So in the end Dexter is alright, but filled with a lot of rubbish nonsense at the same time. Expand
  56. Aug 4, 2011
    One of my top 3 shows that I currently watch. I'm sure everyone knows the main idea behind the show and the character. I am really looking forward to season 6, because I thought season 5 didn't stack up to the other seasons but still good television.
  57. Jun 26, 2014
    The further I got into this series the more I couldn't stand Michael Hall's voice and the annoying characters that kept getting piled on. If you stopped around season 3 or so you might save yourself.
  58. Nov 25, 2012
    The original season of Dexter is an anomaly of television. It crafts a character that, by all intents and purposes, is a terrible person and would be executed if discovered. The catch is that he's one of the most magnetic, fascinating, and surprisingly likable characters on all of television. This can be accredited to the show's dark atmosphere, sharp dialogue, dark comedy, situationalThe original season of Dexter is an anomaly of television. It crafts a character that, by all intents and purposes, is a terrible person and would be executed if discovered. The catch is that he's one of the most magnetic, fascinating, and surprisingly likable characters on all of television. This can be accredited to the show's dark atmosphere, sharp dialogue, dark comedy, situational irony, acting (mainly by lead Michael C. Hall), and engaging plot following the illusive and complex Ice Truck Killer. After rewatching the premiere season, I have rekindled my love for the show in its recent failures, inconsistencies, and plot holes. Personally I feel that every successive season has made the show less a character study and more an overall drama. For example, the first season focused almost entirely on Dexter and his actions, while now in season seven we are also following around Quinn (who no one likes anyway) as he deals with the owners of a strip club. The original will always be the best. Expand
  59. Dec 15, 2012
    Great TV show, very interesting to watch as this has a great plot as Michael C. Hall portrays Dexter very well. It is very hard to believe that Dexter Morgan, a blood splatter analyst working at Miami Police Department is the Bay Harbor Butcher.
  60. Jan 17, 2013
    I have been watching Dexter since the premiere of the first season, and though it disappointed me at times, it has remained one of my favorite television series.

The reason for this lies chiefly in the character of Dexter. A perfect anti-hero for the 21st century he represents what every person wishes they could do (at least some of the time). The visceral anger but code following serial killer makes us feel like justice can be achieved, even by the most ordinary of citizens. Each season has many sub-plots, which I enjoy and generally employs an over-arching plot. This larger plot generally has to do with a serial killer that Dexter aims to kill and the continuing struggle to track them down and dispose of them. Overall, it
  61. Feb 3, 2013
    The first season of Dexter is one of the best. It's excellent story line, superb narration and characterisation from Hall, make this one of the most unique dramas on TV. In this series, as the Miami metro homicide department hunt the 'Ice Truck Killer', Dexter becomes less and less comfortable with his psychotic urges. Dexter explores what it's like to be human, and makes us question ourThe first season of Dexter is one of the best. It's excellent story line, superb narration and characterisation from Hall, make this one of the most unique dramas on TV. In this series, as the Miami metro homicide department hunt the 'Ice Truck Killer', Dexter becomes less and less comfortable with his psychotic urges. Dexter explores what it's like to be human, and makes us question our inner self. Nevertheless, the story at times seems stretched, and could have been condensed into less episodes. At times it was far too predictable, and disappointing, however for the most part, and excellent show. 84/100 Expand
  62. Jan 2, 2014
    I can't give Dexter a 10 because of how horrid season 8 was.

The previous 7 seasons are amazing although the consensus is that the show began it's demise after season 4.

My favorite seasons were 3 and 7.

No TV show has ever hooked me like seasons 1 and 2, though.

A must watch for sure.
  63. Jul 9, 2014
    I just started watching Dexter on Netflix and find it to be quite captivating. I like that it can be of suspense/thriller but still involve comedy. It is a good show and I shall continue to watch it.
  64. Oct 23, 2014
    Top notch show in my books... although the last season was somewhat disappointing, and the final episode SUCKED in comparison to the shows that were popular/ ending around the same time. Much love to season 4 though, so epic.
  65. Jan 12, 2016
    The show is unique, different, witty, gruesome and scary. A great show to watch with your friends and fam. Very original, who thinks of a serial-killer hero.
  66. Sep 23, 2010
    This is one of my all-time favorite shows! Every season is entertaining and great to watch. Never can tell what is going to happen next. Great acting and wonderful characters every season.
  67. Nov 12, 2011
    The Series of series. Dualism as an art-form. The ultimate proof that TV can provide top quality. Hall really is Dexter, like he is David in Six Feet Under, superb acting. Most co-actors are great too, the story fabulous, the music so good and fitting it took my breath away. It's alive.
  68. Oct 25, 2010
    Buying Michael C. Hall as a serial killer of serial killers was hard to imagine, well that lasted all of one episode and I was sold. This well written series left me fiending for more through every season. Amazing plot twist and creativity throughout will leave you wondering will come next week as you anxiously await the next episode. My only criticism is of the casting of the sister DebraBuying Michael C. Hall as a serial killer of serial killers was hard to imagine, well that lasted all of one episode and I was sold. This well written series left me fiending for more through every season. Amazing plot twist and creativity throughout will leave you wondering will come next week as you anxiously await the next episode. My only criticism is of the casting of the sister Debra Morgan (Deb) played by Jennifer Carpenter who differs completely from the books and is simply put the worst actor of the regular cast which is outstanding. It's my only real negative check on this otherwise superb series. Expand
  69. Mar 31, 2011
    Essentially this series raised the bar for me on what to expect in an hour long show. It gets so much done per episode, and the characters are all very engaging. It's probably my favorite tv show, and will be for the forseeable future.
  70. Jan 5, 2011
    The start to one of the best tv shows on the air. Michael C. Hall gives him a great look, and feel. A must watch for thriller, and splatter film fans.
  71. Aug 2, 2014
    Season 1 was from the beginning till the end was my favorite season of all TV-series ever. The plot about the killer was characterized very detailed and the perfomance of the actors was breathtaking good.
  72. Jul 5, 2012
    This has to be my favorite show on television right now (June 14, 2011). The next season will be the sixth of Showtime's adaption of the books by Jeff Lindsay. Michael C. Hall (bad guy from Gamer) has the star role as Dexter. Dexter is a blood spatter analyst in the police department of Miami, Florida. He had an unusual childhood where he would kill things such as animals. He laterThis has to be my favorite show on television right now (June 14, 2011). The next season will be the sixth of Showtime's adaption of the books by Jeff Lindsay. Michael C. Hall (bad guy from Gamer) has the star role as Dexter. Dexter is a blood spatter analyst in the police department of Miami, Florida. He had an unusual childhood where he would kill things such as animals. He later hungers for more as an adult. With the help of his step dad he learns to control his cravings by killing humans that deserve it. He is only training Dexter with tips and advice which are known as The Code. Dexter develops his own techniques on his own by following The Code. His victims are usually people that have killed other innocent people. This helps him deal with what he calls is his Dark Passenger. Dexter also seems to have no feelings (it is found out why later in the show) Thanks to his job in the Miami Police Department; he can gather data on criminals and be sure of his that his future victims are true criminals. Dexter can also cover his mistakes, if he has any, by tampering with blood evidence to go in his favor. Their is a lot more to this show; like how he manages his relationship with Rita (mom from No Ordinary Family), visions of his past, and much more (I don't want to spoil the show). I would highly recommend this show to anyone who would like to see a darker version of CSI. Because after all, Dexter is a good guy that kills the bad guys. From the season's that have been released so far, I would say that the order from best to worst is: season 4, season 1, season 2, season 5, season 3. Once you read this and decide to witness this show for yourself be sure you watch it from the beginning. Expand
  73. Apr 21, 2013
    Words cannot express, how much I love this show. Michael C. Hall gives probably one of the best performances I've seen in a TV show ever. Dexter is one of the most rounded characters I've ever encountered in my years of watching TV. Its dramatic, suspenseful, witty, at some points funny and just down-right addictive. The final season of Dexter premiers June 30th, so I suggest you find roomWords cannot express, how much I love this show. Michael C. Hall gives probably one of the best performances I've seen in a TV show ever. Dexter is one of the most rounded characters I've ever encountered in my years of watching TV. Its dramatic, suspenseful, witty, at some points funny and just down-right addictive. The final season of Dexter premiers June 30th, so I suggest you find room in your schedule to fit Dexter in because seasons 1 through 7 will have your face GLUED to your television. Well, what are you waiting for? Its on Netflix! Expand
  74. Feb 10, 2013
    This show is the best show on Television. It is a true masterpiece. Michael C. Hall's portrail of Jeff Lindsay's "Dexter" is in my opinion the best acting on TV today. It has the best storyline that just keeps drawing you in more and more with every episode. I give this shows actors, writers, costume design, and scene locations all a perfect 10 out of 10.
  75. Sep 22, 2014
    Achei este seriado com um ritmo muito arrastado, apesar de bom. O final realmente é surpreendente, mas nada de demais também, não chega a impressionar. O modelo de uma solução de crime por temporada (pelo menos na 1) é interessante, porém, nao prende a atenção. Longe de seriados empolgante que você não consegue de parar de ver (a la Lost).
  76. May 18, 2013
    Thrilling. Creepy. Funny. DEXTER Season 1 is a great start to an excellent television series. Michael C. Hall is amazing as Dexter Morgan: Blood Spatter Analyst/Vigilante Serial Killer. The rest of the cast is also outstanding. Every week, the show is full of excitement, twists, and some laughs. Please watch this show, you will not be disappointed.
  77. Jun 6, 2013
    One of the most amazing shows on TV. Seeing how Dexter gets himself out of sticky situations from season to season is a pure pleasure to watch. Did I mention this show is amazing?
  78. Jul 3, 2013
    cant see how anyone could not like this show. awesome, suspenseful, sad, funny. cant believe its ending soon. if you haven't seen it get out there and rent every season and watch them all...TONIGHT!
  79. Oct 27, 2013
    Great show but too many seasons in my opinion. The last season is terrible, the show must be ended so many time before. By the way, i really love the moral dichotomy of: is Dexter a hero or pure evil?
  80. Jan 10, 2014
    Dexter is a really good show and I will encourage people to see this intense, violent, and drama of a show. reason why I say this is because "dexter" is a good show and the suspense should keep you through the season and keep you making guesses. the main source of the show is of course the acting, without Micheal C. Hall, there would be no show. Micheal portrays Dexter Morgan perfectly, itDexter is a really good show and I will encourage people to see this intense, violent, and drama of a show. reason why I say this is because "dexter" is a good show and the suspense should keep you through the season and keep you making guesses. the main source of the show is of course the acting, without Micheal C. Hall, there would be no show. Micheal portrays Dexter Morgan perfectly, it catches dexter self and true self. even the cast is good but more importantly dexter himself. the only have one thing to say bad about this show and that is it ended. Expand
  81. Jan 26, 2014
    No way to give a 10 after the last 8th awful season. It destroyed the myth of one of the best screenplays ever. The last episode then was the apotheosis of absurd. I can't describe all the incongruity in it. In few words: how to ruine a wonderful serie in one step. Crazy absurd awful... can't find other adjectives.
  82. Oct 13, 2014
    This series Envelopes a dark side of humanity that exists in all of us...all of us have a desire to kill to some degree, whether it be when we hypothesize about avenging a family member or any other situation that would warrant us to kill we can all relate to the "dark passenger"
  83. Oct 13, 2014
    Dexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting toDexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting to kill him, Dexter is my new favorite one. Expand
  84. Nov 13, 2015
    So I have heard about this show for years, and in my experience it was a sleeper hit. (Sort of like Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" -- I never understood what the big deal was until I feel down the rabbithole and became a rabid fan. Same experience, very different genres lol.)

I sort of thought it would be like a superhero/vigilante thing, and I guess the premise didn't really sound that interesting to me.

But on a lark last weekend I gave it a try--I'm only in the second season now, but I have been SO impressed. Firstly, Michael Hall is brilliant. I also think Rita's type of character could have very very easily been one I found boring or annoying, but the way that actress does Rita is just spot on. I'm not sure if it is the acting, the writing, or the masterful pitch that infects every show, but they did a great job. I also really never expected the plot to be so complex or unexpected. I am not a person that gets surprised a lot--I'm usually that jerk that gives away the ending--but Dexter keeps me guessing. (With the aside that I did guess about his brother in the first season, but I think it is safe to say they foreshadowed enough that the intent was for the audience to know more than the characters in the final plot arc.)

And in the second season at least so far they went in SUCH an unexpected direction-a serial killer experience performing issues--it seems brilliant and obvious in retrospect that it would be a great angle to explore, but I certainly never would have thought of it.

If you are a skeptic like me I would seriously recommend giving it a try, it is worth it.
  85. LinP
    Oct 30, 2006
    Simply brilliant! Best new show on TV!
  86. dudleydoright
    Oct 9, 2006
    Addicting..
  87. TylerS
    Jan 2, 2007
    One of the best dramas I have ever seen!
  88. LisaH
    Jan 3, 2007
    AWESOME show. I am completely obsessed witht his series and I enver get into a tv series. Can't wait until next year!!
  89. Maria
    Oct 8, 2007
    One of the two TV shows that I really enjoyed in the last 10 years. The show is brilliant and probably even better, than the original books.
  90. MichaelD.
    Oct 9, 2007
    A finely drawn character study masquerading as a blood-splashed procedural, Dexter explores what it means to feel human
  91. AlexisK
    May 6, 2007
    This show totally creeps me out! I love it...always keeps me guessing!
  92. CedricC
    Jun 4, 2007
    Excellent show with great storyline. Can't wait to see how they'll keep up with the story next season.
  93. JulieF
    Aug 8, 2007
    Best new series i have seen in many years. Can't wait for next season.
  94. rossc
    Oct 17, 2006
    who would think a show about a serial killer could be sooo funny . Great show .
  95. JessM
    Dec 4, 2006
    This is the best show I have ever seen! An mix of CSI and unnatural humor and drama!
  96. AnnaC
    Oct 20, 2006
    Great show- superb acting and writing.
  97. FurionL
    Dec 6, 2006
    I absolutely love Dexter. I'll admit that the first few episodes aren't that great (but I'd still rate them rather high), and that there is quite a bit of... well. Monologue, with Dexter talking to himself. But as the main plot of the season picks up, the show REALLY picks up. You get more into the characters -- not only Dexter, but all the people around him. His I absolutely love Dexter. I'll admit that the first few episodes aren't that great (but I'd still rate them rather high), and that there is quite a bit of... well. Monologue, with Dexter talking to himself. But as the main plot of the season picks up, the show REALLY picks up. You get more into the characters -- not only Dexter, but all the people around him. His girlfriend, his sister, Angel, and his superiors (most specifically his Lieutenant seems to change a lot) all have their bits where Dexter isn't always the in the spotlight... In fact, you will find yourself knowing more than Dexter the more it progresses. I guess I have a sardonic sense of humor, which is why I enjoy this, and find myself laughing at a few dark part (specifically at parts where he snags the person, or does something completely out of character for his usual self -- such as acting on emotion and smashing someone in the head with a frying pan). If you've watched the first two episodes in it or so, and dropped it because it didn't seem so interesting... I suggest picking it up again and giving it a chance again. I really enjoyed this. 9.5 out of 10 with 119 votes can't be bad, eh? Expand
  98. melin
    Dec 6, 2006
    best show on tv
  99. MerrileeF
    Dec 7, 2006
    This show had me from the first episode. It is extremely entertaining and engrossing. Michael Hall is so intriguing as Dexter, he pulls you in and makes you feel for his character. After all, he's trying to find his way in life just like the rest of us. I find myself watching reruns during the week because I want more. I highly recommend it!
  100. RonB
    Oct 2, 2006
    The most creative show ever. Brilliant concept. Kept me mezmerized for the entire hour. Very good entertainment. Good character fits. Love the story line.

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.