• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.1

1. Apr 2, 2013
    A number of the best TV shows of the last decade seem to have featured an anti-hero in the lead role (The Sopranos, The Shield, and Breaking Bad) and Dexter can certainly be counted alongside the very best.
    Based on a series of novels Dexter centres around the life of serial killer Dexter Morgan. Unlike most serial killers however he has a code. Taught to him by his foster father the code states that he can only kill people who 'deserve' it and, thanks to his work as a blood splatter analyst for the Miami Police department, he is in the perfect position to find his victims.

Michael C Hall (who many will know from Six Feet Under) is superb in the title role as a man trying to hide his true nature from the world and even during regular scenes you can always see a glint of the dangerous man that lurks just below the surface. This first season focuses heavily on the 'ice truck killer' another serial killer that, unlike Dexter, isn’t worried about keeping his killings a secret. Dexter’s fascination with his fellow serial killer and the way in which it affects his relationships with friends and family, all of whom are played superbly, is brilliantly written and makes for some unique and fascinating television.

Everything eventually builds to an intense and unexpected conclusion making the first season of Dexter amongst the very best openings to any drama series seen on TV.
  2. Jul 3, 2015
    Dexter isn't your average hero. Quite the opposite really. He's a serial killer. However the only people he kills are criminals. Particularly the ones that have escaped justice. The show is partially about that and how he tries to hide it in everyday life. He works in forensics, maintains a relationship, and is overall pretty good at hiding his true self. The other part of the show is anDexter isn't your average hero. Quite the opposite really. He's a serial killer. However the only people he kills are criminals. Particularly the ones that have escaped justice. The show is partially about that and how he tries to hide it in everyday life. He works in forensics, maintains a relationship, and is overall pretty good at hiding his true self. The other part of the show is an involving character drama with some good cases. Dexter may be the star, but the side-characters are just as interesting.

Watching Dexter struggle with who he is and who he wants to be is incredibly compelling and the fantastic voice-over work for the characters thoughts is well-written. The character is more like normal, everyday people than even he thinks. For a man who even himself believes he doesn't have any feelings, he sure does care a lot about the people around him.

The plotting of this season is pretty great. We deal with Dexter and the rest of the police force he works with trying to catch a mysterious killer. Meanwhile Dexter's personal life gets caught up in the mix and his past starts to come forward. The incorporation of flashbacks to his teenage years and earlier help flesh out the character more. It's exciting to see how the lessons he learned back then made him who he is today. All of it is well-written and enjoyable to watch.

Given the nature of it's set-up this is a very violent show. Many might be put off by all of the blood and gore. It doesn't feel terribly excessive though. At least not in the sense that the show is just going for shock value. On the contrary, all of the kills and horror that unfold feel relevant to the plots at hand.

By far one of the most surprising aspects of this show though is the inclusion of a dark sense of humor. It adds a sense of light playfulness that keeps the show from getting too dark. Overall "Dexter" is a fantastic dark drama show. One that is only suitable for mature audiences. Regardless of the nature of it's content this is some top-notch entertainment. I highly recommend giving it a chance.

I give the first season a 9.1/10.
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    It's a solid show and it is good enough to sit through an entire season (12 episodes) but I dislike how slow paced it was, There could have been a better story behind it. Didn't really care for the guy who played the main villian of the season either, Although I do admit I have an incredibly high standard for tv show villains. Overall it's a good show and I am willing to give it another season.
  4. Feb 1, 2016
    Dexter's first season thrives on an intriguing central character with a dark secret that constantly threatens his well-being. The whole serial killer that kills people that get away with awful things is a great premise, but while Dexter is certainly a winner, its first season doesn't scream "instant classic". It's a jumping off point that gets carried for its unique spin on TV, and its aDexter's first season thrives on an intriguing central character with a dark secret that constantly threatens his well-being. The whole serial killer that kills people that get away with awful things is a great premise, but while Dexter is certainly a winner, its first season doesn't scream "instant classic". It's a jumping off point that gets carried for its unique spin on TV, and its a show that doesn't apologize for its occasional grit. After years of being told to watch this show, I'm finally getting my feet wet, and I'm glad I have. Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2010
    I'm shocked the critics review was only 77 for this show and truly hope they increase it over the next few seasons. This series gives an incredible view into the mind of serial killer. It has detailed forensic research to back-up interesting story-lines that make show believable and wonderfully three dimensional characters along with a talented cast of actors. What's not to like?
  6. Mar 11, 2011
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  7. Sep 1, 2015
    Dexter is violent, dark, and showcases an unsettling side of humanity. With the titular character narrating his own life as the story progresses, this show adds an uncomfortable sense of intimacy to the mix, which the charming Michael C. Hall only uses to his advantage. That being said, those who can buy into its deliberately brutal tone and unconventional style will find season one fascinating.
  8. Dec 30, 2016
    Great first season. This show, to be honest, started out a bit boring for me. I watched the first couple of episodes and I actually was so bored I didn't watch the show again for about 2 years. But I was trying to find a show to watch, and I came across it and decided to give it another go. There were a few plotholes/conveniences (killing the psychiatrist in his office, for instance,Great first season. This show, to be honest, started out a bit boring for me. I watched the first couple of episodes and I actually was so bored I didn't watch the show again for about 2 years. But I was trying to find a show to watch, and I came across it and decided to give it another go. There were a few plotholes/conveniences (killing the psychiatrist in his office, for instance, without anyone coming in or trying to find out where he was at, or at the end, the police leaving Deb without any police protection when the guy who kidnapped and almost killed her was still on the loose). However, the show still shines despite these. A very thrilling watch.

8.75/10
  9. Dec 18, 2016
    Первая половина сезона скучна, порой даже слишком, вторая намного лучше, но всё же иногда проседает.
    На некоторых персонажей просто наплевать, хотя их подают как основных, но когда сцены с ними ещё и затягивают, то хочется просто промотать.
    Из плюсов: Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка. В целом неплохо.
    Из плюсов:
    Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка.
    В целом неплохо.
  10. Dec 1, 2012
    Not since Lost has any show grabbed my attention to such a degree. It was a fantastical idea, but I was ready to lose myself in it. They should have wrapped up the show in five seasons, and not resorted to formulaic storytelling. It could have been a classic. Nevertheless, season 1 holds a great place in my heart. It is pretty much self contained, and its a must watch. After that, decideNot since Lost has any show grabbed my attention to such a degree. It was a fantastical idea, but I was ready to lose myself in it. They should have wrapped up the show in five seasons, and not resorted to formulaic storytelling. It could have been a classic. Nevertheless, season 1 holds a great place in my heart. It is pretty much self contained, and its a must watch. After that, decide for yourself if you want to proceed, because it gets only worse until season 4. Expand
  11. Oct 19, 2013
    dexter the first season was almost perfect, she holds you with the story of a serial killer who kills serial killers and then comes another serial killer and end the season this mysterious serial killer makes a revelation of breathtaking.
  12. Jun 17, 2013
    Watched the pilot, wasn't convinced, it's introduction lacked a lot of stuff that would motivate me to watch the second episode. I heard it had so many bad seasons but so many acclaimed ones. And we all know this series is going to end.
  13. Nov 2, 2010
    Simple outstanding. This season was the best so far. I loved this show so much I started thinking like Dexter but without the blood lust, haha. I think anyone that is not too conservative will love this show and should watch it from the beginning.
  14. Jul 27, 2013
    Season 1 of Dexter was outstanding! The character development of Dexter's character was great and the flash backs of him as a child learning the code were great and really showed Dexter's progression as a killer. Acting by the entire cast was amazing and the ice truck killer was an excellent and creepy villain. Also the way that Dexter's past tied into the present plot was very well done.Season 1 of Dexter was outstanding! The character development of Dexter's character was great and the flash backs of him as a child learning the code were great and really showed Dexter's progression as a killer. Acting by the entire cast was amazing and the ice truck killer was an excellent and creepy villain. Also the way that Dexter's past tied into the present plot was very well done. All and all this season shows that Dexter is a show that you can't help but be enthralled in because of it's perfect mix of darkness and humor and lovable murdering lead. Expand
  15. Apr 8, 2011
    A masterpiece. Thrilling, exciting! One of my all time favorite shows ans I love the first season just as much as any of the others. I LOVE Dexter's character and Michael C Hall plays him perfectly. Dokes is awesome as well. Dexter's sister too. Those 3 are my favorite characters. Don't listen to the whiney babies who can't take a little murder and gore. They're probably liberals. (I'm NOTA masterpiece. Thrilling, exciting! One of my all time favorite shows ans I love the first season just as much as any of the others. I LOVE Dexter's character and Michael C Hall plays him perfectly. Dokes is awesome as well. Dexter's sister too. Those 3 are my favorite characters. Don't listen to the whiney babies who can't take a little murder and gore. They're probably liberals. (I'm NOT conservative). And ignore the people who say it's too unbelievable.. blah blah blah. It's entertainment! This show is great. Near perfect. I can't give it a 9.5, so it gets a 10! Expand
  16. Nov 9, 2012
    A compelling show, with well developed characters and intriguing subplots. Dexter is also riddled with secrets, and watching the characters discover them is what will keep you hooked.
  17. Nov 17, 2013
    I finally started watching 'Dexter'. It is great. Original,clever, & unexpected twists. That is all I really have to say about this really interesting show.
  18. Aug 15, 2013
    Dexter is a darkly comic character study of a deranged mind which proves to be an excellent start, and an excellent concept.
    There are quite a few flaws in the show's formula, mainly the lack of interesting characters or any kind of decent righting outside of the main, title character, and the villain he's after, but in this case, one great character is enough to pull the first season through.
    On top of its other few flaws, too much is revealed about our main "protagonist" right off the bat, eliminating any sense of mystery about the inner workings of what makes Dexter Morgan tick, which is a real shame given how mysterious a character Dexter is to everyone else on the outside.
    But, all things said, it's very enjoyable, and an excellent start.
  19. Nov 15, 2013
    Dexter um amável maníaco homicida, um psicopata que usa criminosos assassinos para saciar sua sede de sangue, apos matar ele corta suas vitimas em pedaços coloca em sacos e laça no fundo do mar, depois vai pra casa viver sua vida de cidadão comum. A serie não abusa de sua premissa e constrói personagens secundários de grande personalidade criando uma teia dramática incrível.
  20. Oct 13, 2010
    Daily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror orDaily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror or violence. Played to perfection by Michael C. Hall, Dexter is a unique horror show that showcases the darkest aspects of humanity and never hides away from the fact that it is a monstrosity. Strangely addictive, this is compelling drama. Expand
  21. Jun 4, 2014
    The first was truly the best. Season 1 was Dexter at his darkest, a chilling monster with a demented moral code. It also ends perfectly, unlike all the seasons which followed it. Great television. If you're new to the series I would even go so far as to suggest you treat Dexter as a miniseries and only watch this season. (if not, at least stop after season 4.)
  22. Jul 10, 2011
    The problem with Dexter in my eyes is, despite some terrific storylines and a great lead performance by Michael C. Hall, there are often extraneous subplots that get boring quickly as the side characters seem very shallow and ill-developed. Still, at it's best, such as in this season, Dexter himself is made interesting enough and given interesting enough dramatic decisions that it makesThe problem with Dexter in my eyes is, despite some terrific storylines and a great lead performance by Michael C. Hall, there are often extraneous subplots that get boring quickly as the side characters seem very shallow and ill-developed. Still, at it's best, such as in this season, Dexter himself is made interesting enough and given interesting enough dramatic decisions that it makes for a very satisfying, exhilarating watch with some intriguing moral questions. Expand
  23. May 21, 2013
    A unique story about a serial killer who works with the Miami metro homicide, what more could want in a t.v show. It is just AWESOME. The direction is also very good. The writers have given a certain amount of depth to the characters which the writers do not focus on these days.
  24. Nov 23, 2013
    This is one of my favorite show. Sure not every season is a pure 5 out of 5 stars, but all in all its amazing. Michael C. Hall is amazing and its my believe that this is his best role ever.
  25. Jun 27, 2016
    Centered on a forensic technician/vigilante serial killer,the first season does not disappoint.It's a bit chilly and
    some cases might be boring but all of it is well compensated by Dexter's character and his views on those cases
    Do watch if you are into a good yet dramatic psychological study .
  26. May 25, 2013
    One of the best and memorable and most original tv shows of all time. Not too long, not too short, not one boring episode, very interesting characters with super engaging main plot.
  27. Apr 11, 2017
    The story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The lastThe story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The last seasons are poor and unfortunately changed the valuation i wanted to give to Dexter. Although, it deserves a positive note in my opinion Expand
  28. Apr 28, 2011
    Original and gripping storyline. Michael C. Hall kills it (proverbially) as a serial killer hunting serial killers. Badass show. I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the writers of the show definitely know how to make EPIC finales.
  29. Dec 25, 2011
    Season 1 of Dexter is easily the most captivating 12 episodes of anything I have seen so far in my life. After seeing probably the first 2 episodes you are just hooked and you really want to know what happens. It's hard to grab my attention like that with tv shows. One day I wouldn't mind watching all 12 back-to-back; it would be the best/longest movie ever!
  30. Sep 24, 2013
    Dexter Season 1 is one of my of my favorite ever. Between Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of those shows, this season ranks with them for me. and in my opinion the best season. The acting is all amazing, especially Michael C Hall (Dexter) and Jennifer Carpenter (Deb). The plot is fantastic with an incredible villain, and some huge twists on his real identity. I suggestDexter Season 1 is one of my of my favorite ever. Between Breaking Bad, GoT, The Wire, The Sopranos, and all of those shows, this season ranks with them for me. and in my opinion the best season. The acting is all amazing, especially Michael C Hall (Dexter) and Jennifer Carpenter (Deb). The plot is fantastic with an incredible villain, and some huge twists on his real identity. I suggest this season to everyone. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.