• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8
9.2

1. Oct 25, 2010
    Buying Michael C. Hall as a serial killer of serial killers was hard to imagine, well that lasted all of one episode and I was sold. This well written series left me fiending for more through every season. Amazing plot twist and creativity throughout will leave you wondering will come next week as you anxiously await the next episode. My only criticism is of the casting of the sister Debra Morgan (Deb) played by Jennifer Carpenter who differs completely from the books and is simply put the worst actor of the regular cast which is outstanding. It's my only real negative check on this otherwise superb series. Expand
  2. May 21, 2013
    A unique story about a serial killer who works with the Miami metro homicide, what more could want in a t.v show. It is just AWESOME. The direction is also very good. The writers have given a certain amount of depth to the characters which the writers do not focus on these days.
  3. Oct 4, 2012
    It's a solid show and it is good enough to sit through an entire season (12 episodes) but I dislike how slow paced it was, There could have been a better story behind it. Didn't really care for the guy who played the main villian of the season either, Although I do admit I have an incredibly high standard for tv show villains. Overall it's a good show and I am willing to give it another season.
  4. Oct 29, 2012
    Season1 was excellent ... but the writers of S7 are amateurs .. they have completely squandered the opportunity to create some very interesting reflections on humanity. What they give is is formulaic melodramatic crap
  5. Mar 11, 2011
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  6. Jun 2, 2011
    The best TV series i had ever saw. Better than Dr House or Mentalist. Is really exciting. Superbly acted and treated. I bow before Michael C. Hall, Julie Benz and the other.
  7. Oct 9, 2011
    The character Dexter is what works about this TV series. Dexter is someone that many can connect with (not being serial killers but in the sense of not being understood by others, having a dark secret, not 'feeling' like others feel, etc). While watching this series I did enjoy listening to Dexter and enjoyed his overall character arc. HOWEVER there is so much nonsense that fills the plot. The way police, homicide and forensic investigators act and are portrayed in Dexter are TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, the writers must think that their audience is either totally stupid or will believe every bit of police nonsense that makes up each episode. There is the regular filler that makes up half of each episode to stretch the plot across a season (which makes up most TV by the way), and I also have issues with the way that a serial killer is portrayed (I feel rather uncomfortable to the way that Dexter is meant to be a good guy while being a killer). So in the end Dexter is alright, but filled with a lot of rubbish nonsense at the same time. Expand
  8. Jan 17, 2013
    I have been watching Dexter since the premiere of the first season, and though it disappointed me at times, it has remained one of my favorite television series.

The reason for this lies chiefly in the character of Dexter. A perfect anti-hero for the 21st century he represents what every person wishes they could do (at least some of the time). The visceral anger but code following
    serial killer makes us feel like justice can be achieved, even by the most ordinary of citizens. Each season has many sub-plots, which I enjoy and generally employs an over-arching plot. This larger plot generally has to do with a serial killer that Dexter aims to kill and the continuing struggle to track them down and dispose of them. Overall, it Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    Watched the pilot, wasn't convinced, it's introduction lacked a lot of stuff that would motivate me to watch the second episode. I heard it had so many bad seasons but so many acclaimed ones. And we all know this series is going to end.
  10. May 18, 2013
    Thrilling. Creepy. Funny. DEXTER Season 1 is a great start to an excellent television series. Michael C. Hall is amazing as Dexter Morgan: Blood Spatter Analyst/Vigilante Serial Killer. The rest of the cast is also outstanding. Every week, the show is full of excitement, twists, and some laughs. Please watch this show, you will not be disappointed.
  11. Aug 19, 2013
    Michael C. Hall stars in this ShowTime show 'Dexter'. Dexter is a great TV show, it is a incredibly gripping show. When Dexter, a forensic serial-killer, is faced with an admiring serial killer who seems to keep intruding into his kills.

Michael C. Hall is very believable character and I love seeing his conflict between being human and being what he is compelled to be, a killer. Hall's
    narration throughout episodes, I love he is very good at it. I enjoyed the narration which is a nod to the classic film American Psycho.

The series as a whole is very strong, the developing story line over the series is epic and a great watch even better when you consider how well planned out and written the episodes are.

A series everyone who isn't afraid of blood should check out. Never a weak episode.
  12. Oct 8, 2010
    Dexter is awesome. this was enjoyable to watch straight from the beginning and right through the seasons. seeing his character develop through the crazy events that occur through the first season.
  13. Sep 22, 2010
    I could go on and on about how I enjoy Michael's acting and the brilliance of his character. I could rant about how the story plays out like a game of chess with well-made moves by Dexter while stalking his next victim. However, despite what I say about it, I'm always dying to see the next episode. That says it all.
  14. Aug 20, 2011
    The first season of Dexter, to me, is a must see for anyone who can stomach the concept of a serial as the main character. The plot of the first season is pretty tight and well-written with plenty of twists and turns along the way. Every actor does a superb job and the show is full of interesting characters and sharp, clever writing, Masuka's jokes notwithstanding. If you find the shows premise cheesy or too disturbing then skip it, but for everyone else, you are in for a treat. Expand
  15. Sep 23, 2010
    This is one of my all-time favorite shows! Every season is entertaining and great to watch. Never can tell what is going to happen next. Great acting and wonderful characters every season.
  16. Sep 28, 2010
    Its such a great show, i'm always on the edge of my seat. every episode feels like a roller coaster, and i've never felt that with any other show before. Micheal C. Hall deserves every award he gets for this show and more it is the best acting i've seen in a long time.
  17. Nov 2, 2010
    Simple outstanding. This season was the best so far. I loved this show so much I started thinking like Dexter but without the blood lust, haha. I think anyone that is not too conservative will love this show and should watch it from the beginning.
  18. Nov 12, 2011
    The Series of series. Dualism as an art-form. The ultimate proof that TV can provide top quality. Hall really is Dexter, like he is David in Six Feet Under, superb acting. Most co-actors are great too, the story fabulous, the music so good and fitting it took my breath away. It's alive.
  19. Oct 13, 2010
    Daily Mail journalists, readers and people who generally fear people who can think objectively for themselves will condemn dark, disturbing, sadistic tale of a serial killer without actually watching it. If they do watch it, what they will conveniently overlook is that this is an intelligent drama exploring the nature of humanity, both dark and light but never condones the horror or violence. Played to perfection by Michael C. Hall, Dexter is a unique horror show that showcases the darkest aspects of humanity and never hides away from the fact that it is a monstrosity. Strangely addictive, this is compelling drama. Expand
  20. Nov 1, 2010
    I'm shocked the critics review was only 77 for this show and truly hope they increase it over the next few seasons. This series gives an incredible view into the mind of serial killer. It has detailed forensic research to back-up interesting story-lines that make show believable and wonderfully three dimensional characters along with a talented cast of actors. What's not to like?
  21. CBZ
    Mar 8, 2011
    This is a great show, taking crime investigations to a whole new level. You will not regret giving Dexter a chance, it will get you addicted if you are thrilled by murder stories you are not scared of blood.
  22. Dec 1, 2010
    It is bloody fun! Dexter and Debra make a great cast with Dexter's Michael C. Hall gripping serial killer performance made it even better. The award-winning show in its 5th season and "Dexter" still has that spark that manages to catch us off guard every episode. Keep killing Dexter!
  23. Dec 4, 2010
    I can't really explain why this show is so amazing. It just grabs you from the first episode and doesn't let you go. One may think that a show about a serial killer killing other serial killers would get old, but the story only gets more and more complex. You fall in love with a serial killer and actually find yourself rooting for Dexter while sympathizing for him in regards to his relationship problems with his sister, co-workers, girlfriend, and his father who has passed away and acts as his conscious. So far everyone I have talked to who has seen it has been taken in by the thrill and excitement this show provides. It's unpredictable and the writers are just getting better and better with each season. WARNING: Don't start watching until you have at least a couple free days in head of you... you won't want to stop! Expand
  24. Dec 17, 2010
    With a title sequence that will stay with you to the grave, this is a television drama that cannot be outdone in it's immersive plots and range of characters performed to an absolute tee by it's cast. The liberal agenda's guilty indulgence; by no other hand but the protagonists would his dirty deeds seem 'not so' contentious. Sadistic, horrifying, and charmingly captivating. If you can tolerate the former (and with a string of films in the Saw mould overtaking Hollywood it'd you may have to) you may just find yourself coming to the conclusion that this is the best television drama you've ever set your eyes upon (genuinely); as an insight into the darkest reaches of the (and by that i mean 'our', as in 'all of us') of the human psyche. Expand
  25. Mar 31, 2011
    Essentially this series raised the bar for me on what to expect in an hour long show. It gets so much done per episode, and the characters are all very engaging. It's probably my favorite tv show, and will be for the forseeable future.
  26. Jan 5, 2011
    The start to one of the best tv shows on the air. Michael C. Hall gives him a great look, and feel. A must watch for thriller, and splatter film fans.
  27. Jan 6, 2011
    Love this show. One of the best of all-time, in my opinion. It's not just a show about a serial killer with a conscience. It's simply an outstanding drama that makes great use of the serial killer angle as a tool to tell some great stories. I guess I'm in the minority, but I also really love the sister character (Debra).
  28. Jan 21, 2011
    I started watching this show about mid way through the season with my dad. Then I decided I should watch it all the way through. And let me tell you, from that moment on I became a Dexter addict. Obviously, Michael C. Hall's portrayal of Dexter Morgan is as good of an acting job I have ever seen on TV. Obviously Doakes is hilarious and a wonderful supporting character. And of course there's the Ice Truck Killer. The Ice Truck Killer was extremely captivating, but the way he got to Dexter is pure brilliance. Fantastic... Expand
  29. Feb 5, 2011
    At first it looked outrageous to me and made me nauseous. Then the strong scenes made me realize he is just as human as anybody else. If you can stop watching it, do it!!! I couldn't. Simply the best show ever!!!
  30. Feb 12, 2011
    Excellent show! Very dark and witty!!! Michael C Hall is fantastic! He makes you believe he's Dexter Morgan. The writing in this show is fantastic I wasn't a big fan of season 5 but I still love the show!!! Season 4 by far the best season!!!

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Reviewed by: Adam Sternbergh
    Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.