Dexter : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.1

1. Jan 26, 2014
    No way to give a 10 after the last 8th awful season. It destroyed the myth of one of the best screenplays ever. The last episode then was the apotheosis of absurd. I can't describe all the incongruity in it. In few words: how to ruine a wonderful serie in one step. Crazy absurd awful... can't find other adjectives.
  2. Feb 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is by far one of, if not, favorite shoes ever. I was upset it ended at season eight. Very unique and interesting. It took me till this year (2014) to watch them. Once I started I continued to watch until I seen all episodes. I would even watch episodes during work. I would encourage those that put the show together to continue with the series and or make a movie. However, Great job guys on the work. Expand
  3. Feb 6, 2014
    Just watched the first season on Netflix. Hall's acting and the writing for his character, the dialog/monologue I mean, are brilliant. Some of the plot twists are a little far fetched, even if you accept the basic (highly unlikely) premise. Like Rudy/Brian was really able to scuba dive, find and bring up one of Dexter's victims? And I understand some people's discomfort with shows likeJust watched the first season on Netflix. Hall's acting and the writing for his character, the dialog/monologue I mean, are brilliant. Some of the plot twists are a little far fetched, even if you accept the basic (highly unlikely) premise. Like Rudy/Brian was really able to scuba dive, find and bring up one of Dexter's victims? And I understand some people's discomfort with shows like this pushing the envelope and perhaps desensitizing the audience. But it doesn't really help that problem if I don't watch it on Netflix, and I'm too old to desensitize! Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2014
    Excellent first season - I read the books and this is definitely superlative to the source material - I'm sure even the author would agree... don't you?
  5. Jun 4, 2014
    The first was truly the best. Season 1 was Dexter at his darkest, a chilling monster with a demented moral code. It also ends perfectly, unlike all the seasons which followed it. Great television. If you're new to the series I would even go so far as to suggest you treat Dexter as a miniseries and only watch this season. (if not, at least stop after season 4.)
  6. Sep 4, 2014
    It is mind captivating, and has a wonderful twist in each individual season. The seasons decline in terms of being well thought out, but even with that, it is still one of the best shows to have been ever made. Period. You are pulled in with a killer plot (pun) and a very well acted cast. You couldnt ask for a better, and well rounded show...
  7. Jul 9, 2014
    I just started watching Dexter on Netflix and find it to be quite captivating. I like that it can be of suspense/thriller but still involve comedy. It is a good show and I shall continue to watch it.
  8. Oct 13, 2014
    This series Envelopes a dark side of humanity that exists in all of us...all of us have a desire to kill to some degree, whether it be when we hypothesize about avenging a family member or any other situation that would warrant us to kill we can all relate to the "dark passenger"
  9. Oct 23, 2014
    Top notch show in my books... although the last season was somewhat disappointing, and the final episode SUCKED in comparison to the shows that were popular/ ending around the same time. Much love to season 4 though, so epic.
  10. Oct 13, 2014
    Dexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting toDexter first season is smart from the begining to the end, it suprises you and keeps you awake with it's creativity and non-predictable story, it just introduces you the great actor that Michael C. Hall is, by his face you know that Dexter is empty inside, a hollow monster that lives a lie trying to share his feeling with someone that could possibly deal with his truth without wanting to kill him, Dexter is my new favorite one. Expand
  11. Mar 3, 2015
    Dark, spooky, and the biggest puzzle-solving show done right with unique twists and turns that are very hard to predict!
    Michael Hall fits the "psychotic" character better than anyone else! 10/10 for him just taking the role!
  12. Dec 18, 2016
    Первая половина сезона скучна, порой даже слишком, вторая намного лучше, но всё же иногда проседает.
    На некоторых персонажей просто наплевать, хотя их подают как основных, но когда сцены с ними ещё и затягивают, то хочется просто промотать.
    Из плюсов: Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка. В целом неплохо.
    Из плюсов:
    Хорошая картинка, неожиданный поворот в конце, Декстер, музыка.
    В целом неплохо.
  13. Jun 11, 2015
    A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter -A really great first season. Based on the novel Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay, this season is pretty unlike the others (mostly). Dexter, being based on the interpretation of Lindsay, is more cold and authentic sociopathic. Later in the series he becomes more empathetic and remorseful for his actions and how they affect those he truly does love. Personally, I prefer that Dexter - but this Dexter is cool too. Just different. I'm glad the direction of the show and character changed though.

Best Episode(s): Dexter/Born Free.
    Worst Episode: Return to Sender.
  14. Sep 1, 2015
    Dexter is violent, dark, and showcases an unsettling side of humanity. With the titular character narrating his own life as the story progresses, this show adds an uncomfortable sense of intimacy to the mix, which the charming Michael C. Hall only uses to his advantage. That being said, those who can buy into its deliberately brutal tone and unconventional style will find season one fascinating.
  15. Nov 13, 2015
    So I have heard about this show for years, and in my experience it was a sleeper hit. (Sort of like Larry David's "Curb Your Enthusiasm" -- I never understood what the big deal was until I feel down the rabbithole and became a rabid fan. Same experience, very different genres lol.)

I sort of thought it would be like a superhero/vigilante thing, and I guess the premise didn't really sound that interesting to me.

But on a lark last weekend I gave it a try--I'm only in the second season now, but I have been SO impressed. Firstly, Michael Hall is brilliant. I also think Rita's type of character could have very very easily been one I found boring or annoying, but the way that actress does Rita is just spot on. I'm not sure if it is the acting, the writing, or the masterful pitch that infects every show, but they did a great job. I also really never expected the plot to be so complex or unexpected. I am not a person that gets surprised a lot--I'm usually that jerk that gives away the ending--but Dexter keeps me guessing. (With the aside that I did guess about his brother in the first season, but I think it is safe to say they foreshadowed enough that the intent was for the audience to know more than the characters in the final plot arc.)

And in the second season at least so far they went in SUCH an unexpected direction-a serial killer experience performing issues--it seems brilliant and obvious in retrospect that it would be a great angle to explore, but I certainly never would have thought of it.

If you are a skeptic like me I would seriously recommend giving it a try, it is worth it.
  16. Jan 12, 2016
    The show is unique, different, witty, gruesome and scary. A great show to watch with your friends and fam. Very original, who thinks of a serial-killer hero.
  17. May 8, 2016
    Amazing season with an amazing antagonist, full of shocks and surprises, twists and turns. The main protagonist Dexter is an amazing character who is not your typical protagonist.
  18. Jun 27, 2016
    Centered on a forensic technician/vigilante serial killer,the first season does not disappoint.It's a bit chilly and
    some cases might be boring but all of it is well compensated by Dexter's character and his views on those cases
    Do watch if you are into a good yet dramatic psychological study .
  19. Apr 16, 2017
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  20. Mar 22, 2017
    The first season of Dexter is by far my favorite season out of the show, as it's consistently tense, thrilling, and wonderfully dark all the way through. It definitely had me invested, and i wish the quality and impact the first season had stayed consistent throughout the series.
  21. Apr 2, 2017
    It is hard for me to get sucked into a TV show so quickly but Dexter had no trouble doing that right away. Through its dark and mysterious plot line, Dexter leaves viewers in anticipation of what happens next. The character development goes in depth every season and only gets more interesting. Dexter is a must watch if you love anticipation, suspense, thrill, and a little bit of darkness.
  22. Apr 11, 2017
    The story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The lastThe story behind Dexter made me an addict right after finishing the first episode. The interpretation from Michael C. Hall is amazing and i wouldn't find anyone else better to represent that role. The biggest problem i've found on this TV Show is the amount of seasons. One of the main problem of this industry is keep selling what we want to see and they ended up ruining it a bit. The last seasons are poor and unfortunately changed the valuation i wanted to give to Dexter. Although, it deserves a positive note in my opinion Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.