Dexter : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Oct 1, 2006
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
9.1

1. May 21, 2013
    A unique story about a serial killer who works with the Miami metro homicide, what more could want in a t.v show. It is just AWESOME. The direction is also very good. The writers have given a certain amount of depth to the characters which the writers do not focus on these days.
  2. rossc
    Oct 17, 2006
    who would think a show about a serial killer could be sooo funny . Great show .
  3. FurionL
    Dec 6, 2006
    I absolutely love Dexter. I'll admit that the first few episodes aren't that great (but I'd still rate them rather high), and that there is quite a bit of... well. Monologue, with Dexter talking to himself. But as the main plot of the season picks up, the show REALLY picks up. You get more into the characters -- not only Dexter, but all the people around him. His I absolutely love Dexter. I'll admit that the first few episodes aren't that great (but I'd still rate them rather high), and that there is quite a bit of... well. Monologue, with Dexter talking to himself. But as the main plot of the season picks up, the show REALLY picks up. You get more into the characters -- not only Dexter, but all the people around him. His girlfriend, his sister, Angel, and his superiors (most specifically his Lieutenant seems to change a lot) all have their bits where Dexter isn't always the in the spotlight... In fact, you will find yourself knowing more than Dexter the more it progresses. I guess I have a sardonic sense of humor, which is why I enjoy this, and find myself laughing at a few dark part (specifically at parts where he snags the person, or does something completely out of character for his usual self -- such as acting on emotion and smashing someone in the head with a frying pan). If you've watched the first two episodes in it or so, and dropped it because it didn't seem so interesting... I suggest picking it up again and giving it a chance again. I really enjoyed this. 9.5 out of 10 with 119 votes can't be bad, eh? Expand
  4. KateH
    Oct 20, 2006
    I'm actually studying to be a clinical forensic psychologist, so this stuff is my bread and butter. But the most impressive thing is how superbly they have nailed the psychopath. Another reviewer said s/he can't find humanity in him... well, because there is none. That's the point. Dexter is the ultimate anti-hero, and I find the show to be fascinating, funny, incredibly I'm actually studying to be a clinical forensic psychologist, so this stuff is my bread and butter. But the most impressive thing is how superbly they have nailed the psychopath. Another reviewer said s/he can't find humanity in him... well, because there is none. That's the point. Dexter is the ultimate anti-hero, and I find the show to be fascinating, funny, incredibly original, and (of course) disturbing. I've grown so bored with cop procedural, even though I still like the subject matter. Dexter is a perfect fit for those of us who want to be challenged by television; who want a show that makes us think about morality, and the nature of humanity. If you're not into that, it's just plain fun too. Expand
  5. Mar 11, 2011
    Dexter is an amazing show. He is definitely my favorite serial killer. This season was awesome. Michael C. Hall is perfect. It is a great show and I love watching.
  6. Jun 2, 2011
    The best TV series i had ever saw. Better than Dr House or Mentalist. Is really exciting. Superbly acted and treated. I bow before Michael C. Hall, Julie Benz and the other.
  7. May 18, 2013
    Thrilling. Creepy. Funny. DEXTER Season 1 is a great start to an excellent television series. Michael C. Hall is amazing as Dexter Morgan: Blood Spatter Analyst/Vigilante Serial Killer. The rest of the cast is also outstanding. Every week, the show is full of excitement, twists, and some laughs. Please watch this show, you will not be disappointed.
  8. Aug 19, 2013
    Michael C. Hall stars in this ShowTime show 'Dexter'. Dexter is a great TV show, it is a incredibly gripping show. When Dexter, a forensic serial-killer, is faced with an admiring serial killer who seems to keep intruding into his kills.

Michael C. Hall is very believable character and I love seeing his conflict between being human and being what he is compelled to be, a killer. Hall's narration throughout episodes, I love he is very good at it. I enjoyed the narration which is a nod to the classic film American Psycho.

The series as a whole is very strong, the developing story line over the series is epic and a great watch even better when you consider how well planned out and written the episodes are.

A series everyone who isn't afraid of blood should check out. Never a weak episode.
  9. IanS
    Oct 20, 2006
    Five minutes into the premier and I was officialy hooked! Hall is perfect, the writing is brilliant, and the visuals are disturbing yet mesmerizing. If that's not enough, there is a dark humor that adds to the appeal. Sometimes I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry. It is the best new series I've seen in close to ten years.
  10. JennaP
    Jan 15, 2007
    This show doesn't have a 9.6 User Rating for nothing. It's thoroughly engaging, original, smart and at times gruesome. You have no idea what you're missing....
  11. AmandaA.
    Dec 19, 2007
    Brilliant cast, excellent and witty. Artistically filmed and captures the audience by reversing the antagonist-protagonist roles. Top rate show!
  12. AndrewS
    Nov 1, 2006
    This show has you gripped. Intresting plot and good acting.
  13. CoryB
    Nov 17, 2006
    Love it
  14. DonH
    Nov 18, 2006
    This is the best show on TV..hands down. The lead is very slick and the supporting cast holds their own. I haven't been so excited about the next episode of a tv show since Season 3 of the Sopranos. GREAT TV.
  15. IanM
    Feb 26, 2007
    One of my favorite shows. Michael C Hall is fantastic and loveable, but the big surprise is that you find yourself wanting to see more of the supporting actors.
  16. ZavanM
    Mar 7, 2007
    Bom, essa série é espetacular, criativa e com um enredo envolvente. Sem dúvida na minha opinião, o melhor lançamento de 2006, e uma das melhores séries da atualidade. Vida longa a Dexter o/
  17. JustynaS
    Oct 3, 2008
    I'm addicted. To everyone. Even to Doaksey.
  18. LynetteM
    Dec 18, 2006
    Along with Heroes, this is THE best show on television! Thank goodness we have somewhere to go that doesn't include yet another lame reality show. Go Dexter, go!!
  19. TommiS
    Dec 18, 2006
    Breathtaking. Best tv i've seen since Twin Peaks.
  20. BrianL
    Dec 18, 2006
    Easily one of the top 5 shows on TV.
  21. MichaelS.
    Aug 29, 2008
    One of the best seasons of Television I have ever seen!
  22. Oct 9, 2011
    The character Dexter is what works about this TV series. Dexter is someone that many can connect with (not being serial killers but in the sense of not being understood by others, having a dark secret, not 'feeling' like others feel, etc). While watching this series I did enjoy listening to Dexter and enjoyed his overall character arc. HOWEVER there is so much nonsense that fills the plot.The character Dexter is what works about this TV series. Dexter is someone that many can connect with (not being serial killers but in the sense of not being understood by others, having a dark secret, not 'feeling' like others feel, etc). While watching this series I did enjoy listening to Dexter and enjoyed his overall character arc. HOWEVER there is so much nonsense that fills the plot. The way police, homicide and forensic investigators act and are portrayed in Dexter are TOTALLY RIDICULOUS, the writers must think that their audience is either totally stupid or will believe every bit of police nonsense that makes up each episode. There is the regular filler that makes up half of each episode to stretch the plot across a season (which makes up most TV by the way), and I also have issues with the way that a serial killer is portrayed (I feel rather uncomfortable to the way that Dexter is meant to be a good guy while being a killer). So in the end Dexter is alright, but filled with a lot of rubbish nonsense at the same time. Expand
  23. Jan 17, 2013
    I have been watching Dexter since the premiere of the first season, and though it disappointed me at times, it has remained one of my favorite television series.

The reason for this lies chiefly in the character of Dexter. A perfect anti-hero for the 21st century he represents what every person wishes they could do (at least some of the time). The visceral anger but code following serial killer makes us feel like justice can be achieved, even by the most ordinary of citizens. Each season has many sub-plots, which I enjoy and generally employs an over-arching plot. This larger plot generally has to do with a serial killer that Dexter aims to kill and the continuing struggle to track them down and dispose of them. Overall, it
  24. MichaelD.
    Oct 9, 2007
    A finely drawn character study masquerading as a blood-splashed procedural, Dexter explores what it means to feel human
  25. Oct 25, 2010
    Buying Michael C. Hall as a serial killer of serial killers was hard to imagine, well that lasted all of one episode and I was sold. This well written series left me fiending for more through every season. Amazing plot twist and creativity throughout will leave you wondering will come next week as you anxiously await the next episode. My only criticism is of the casting of the sister DebraBuying Michael C. Hall as a serial killer of serial killers was hard to imagine, well that lasted all of one episode and I was sold. This well written series left me fiending for more through every season. Amazing plot twist and creativity throughout will leave you wondering will come next week as you anxiously await the next episode. My only criticism is of the casting of the sister Debra Morgan (Deb) played by Jennifer Carpenter who differs completely from the books and is simply put the worst actor of the regular cast which is outstanding. It's my only real negative check on this otherwise superb series. Expand
  26. Oct 4, 2012
    It's a solid show and it is good enough to sit through an entire season (12 episodes) but I dislike how slow paced it was, There could have been a better story behind it. Didn't really care for the guy who played the main villian of the season either, Although I do admit I have an incredibly high standard for tv show villains. Overall it's a good show and I am willing to give it another season.
  27. JamesC
    Oct 11, 2006
    You know, in a show with such a good actor as the central character, it's tough to find any humanity in him. He does carry the entire, though, since the entire supporting cast is a wide array of boring cliches (the superfluous spanglish is a bit too much, I live in miami, no one talks that way). And you know what? That wouldn't bother me much if the show focused a little more on You know, in a show with such a good actor as the central character, it's tough to find any humanity in him. He does carry the entire, though, since the entire supporting cast is a wide array of boring cliches (the superfluous spanglish is a bit too much, I live in miami, no one talks that way). And you know what? That wouldn't bother me much if the show focused a little more on being edgy rather than trying to be "American Psycho". Or subtle. I find that in so many of Hall's inner monologues he needlessly confirm ideas that have already been implied clearly enough. I saw a potentially good show in Dexter, but it's just not showing it. I feel that at moments where the show should be employing suggestions through imagery, or through a look, it instead hits the audience with a sledgehammer. And when you treat the audience like an idiot, they change the channel and watch something else. Expand
  28. BrentS
    Nov 22, 2006
    This show had potential, and Michael C. Hall is great as usual, but the show's politics are severely flawed (treating Dexter's "condition" as some Highlanderish calling as opposed to a complex psychological choice) and its take on the machinations of a police squad (especially in this post-"The Wire" TV environment) are laughable.
  29. Oct 29, 2012
    Season1 was excellent ... but the writers of S7 are amateurs .. they have completely squandered the opportunity to create some very interesting reflections on humanity. What they give is is formulaic melodramatic crap
  30. Jun 17, 2013
    Watched the pilot, wasn't convinced, it's introduction lacked a lot of stuff that would motivate me to watch the second episode. I heard it had so many bad seasons but so many acclaimed ones. And we all know this series is going to end.

1. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The morals of this provocative show are as intriguing as its cases.
  2. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Michael Endelman
    Though his cliche hard-boiled voice-over doesn't work, much of this series... does. [29 Sep 2006, p.73]
  3. Dexter treats extreme violence much in the same way that GoodFellas did: as something horrifying, intoxicating, seductive and thrilling, all at the same time.