Doctor Who : Season 3

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
8.6

1. Nov 17, 2011
    Series 3 cements Russell T Davies style and formula during his whole tenure in charge. The first is his repetitive episode formats; a three singular episodes including a historical based one, followed by a two-parter, two more single fillers, another two-parter followed by a single episode then ususally a two-part finale. The strenght is that you know what to expect, it's consistent andSeries 3 cements Russell T Davies style and formula during his whole tenure in charge. The first is his repetitive episode formats; a three singular episodes including a historical based one, followed by a two-parter, two more single fillers, another two-parter followed by a single episode then ususally a two-part finale. The strenght is that you know what to expect, it's consistent and David Tennant remains on blistering form. New companion Martha Jones is bland compared to Rose and you feel is there just to look good beside Tennant. She isn't terrible but as companions go she isn too memorable either. Episode highlights include the brilliant Weeping Angels by Steven Moffat and even RTD manages a gripping finale. Expand
  2. Nov 11, 2010
    Tennant made this show addictive. I remember Doctor Who as a kid and it was ok but I never really looked forward to it. This series is very different, it leaves a little unresolved. The storylines themselves are wound up but the Doctor keeps a little mystery that draws you in.
  3. Nov 10, 2010
    LOVE DOCTOR WHO! LOVE DAVID TENNANT! LOVE THE WRITERS! This show has it all. I can go back and watch just about any episode over and over again. Rose and Donna are my favorite companions.
  4. Sep 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you plan to watch Doctor Who, don't try to take it seriously. This is kind of a confusing season. David Tennent is good, but I think he's overrated. Martha isn't the best companion, and while she's smart and clever, she's almost too serious. The season starts off weak but gets much better as it goes on. The Daleks are excellent in this season, and the appearance of The Master is just incredible. While the last two episodes of the season are kind of drawn out, with The Doctor being held hostage and Martha working for a year to save him, and then in some cartoonish way everything goes back to being the way it was, its very very good. Expand
  5. Sep 23, 2013
    First off, Rose is gone and Martha has taken over as the Doctor's companion and I much prefer her over Rose. Martha is incredibly like-able and enjoyable to watch. As for David Tennant, At long last he has had his shining moment as the Doctor. It was during the Human Nature/Family of Blood episodes, He was simply fantastic during those episodes. The story telling is down from last season,First off, Rose is gone and Martha has taken over as the Doctor's companion and I much prefer her over Rose. Martha is incredibly like-able and enjoyable to watch. As for David Tennant, At long last he has had his shining moment as the Doctor. It was during the Human Nature/Family of Blood episodes, He was simply fantastic during those episodes. The story telling is down from last season, Quite a few stupid episodes this season, but they ended on a high note.

Overall, It's a pretty solid season overall but it could have been better.
  6. Feb 8, 2014
    Martha is definitely not my favourite companion, but David makes a great doctor, and my second favourite. This series is good, but then the final episodes (with John Simm as The Master) are amazing, and some of my favourite episodes to date.
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    Once again another great season from David Tennant. Marta was not the strongest companion in comparison to the ones before and after her but she was okay. I liked how The Master emerges at the end of this season but that cheesy CGI of The Doctor getting insanely old was lame, I mean why would he look like an old rat/troll instead of a humanoid? But other than that great season.
  8. Dec 25, 2013
    While it improves upon the second season, the third season fails to make the impact it is supposed to make. Despite this, this season is still filled with a lot of fun, excitement, and great characters. The only letdown, once again, are the antagonists. While some are great (Weeping Angels), almost all others are weak (Macra, Lazarus, The Three Witches).
  9. Apr 19, 2014
    While this is my least favorite season of the first 3, it's still fantastic. The first few episodes were great, then I lost some interest up until the last few episodes when it got so much better and worth watching. David Tennant is a perfect Doctor.
  10. Jul 19, 2014
    The third series of new who is a noticeable and significant improvement in the show's now regular running.
    with strong acting, good scripts and an overall feel good factor that brings you back, this series manages to scare, excite and intrigue the audience, with a now familiar doctor its hard to not get a fix. David Tennant is still as excellent and even more developed this time round, new companion Martha Jones (Freema Argyeman) is a bit of a short straw compared to David, but her character is strong enough if a little unlikeable at some points however in some episodes I'm proven wrong, so far series 1 and 2 have been very 50/50 with the quality of episodes, this isnt a matter of concern here nearly every episode is great as always I'll briefly go through each story and then come to a decisive conclusion at the end.

3.01: Smith and Jones
    contradicting myself here as this episode is immensely silly with space rhinos and elderly vampires, however this is still a well written episode and worth a watch but bit of a flick none the less. 8th out of 9 stories
    3.02: The Shakespeare Code
    following a formulaic pattern with new new companion of going backwards then forwards in time or vise versa, this episode however is one of the best "back in time" ones with a generic style to it, this one ticks all the boxes for me. 6th out of 10 stories.
    3.03: Gridlock
    This episode is great, fast paced, iconic story, some revealing moments from the doctor, about his back story and to top it of, the return of an unexpected enemy, defiantly one of the best in this series 3rd out of 9 stories.
    3.04: Daleks in Manhatten / 3.05: Evolution of the Daleks
    watching this felt like I watching the dregs of something that didn't need to be dragged out, and that's this two parters flaw its so dragged out and far fetched that its pointless. 9th out of 9 stories
    3.06: The Lazarus Experiment
    This story is a pretty good, it follows a very generic horror pattern one that suites doctor who very well this story is very well written and has great pace. 5th out of 9 stories
    3.07: 42
    it would be a mistake to call this one an episode filler, but I don't blame people who say so, pretty simple, pretty straight forward, some good acting but all round a miss able episode, if you so wish it. 7th out of 9 stories.
    3.08: Human Nature / 3.09: The Family of Blood
    A really surprising two parter, one that I've grown to like over the years for its different style of storytelling this two parter is outstanding and easily the best, with all round great acting to compliment it,but the next episode has already taken that position for sure. 2nd of 9 stories
    3.10: Blink
    The best doctor who story of the new series to date, this story has so much imagination, and doesnt even need to Doctor that much to be Doctor Who, simply the best! 1st out of 9 stories
    3.11: Utopia / 3.12: The Sound of Drums / 3.13: Last of the Time Lords
    the season finale is a longer one at most but still entertaining, its flaws are that it has a supposedly simple end, that's completely the opposite it probably has one of the worst type of ending possible, however John Sim is a good master but i would have liked to see Derek Jacobi as the master a bit more, not to worry both master's were fantastic, and the chemistry between the Doctor and the Master, but what also surprised me is that the last episode has a different style of narrative which put a spin on the finale to the story, it added some kind of length to it which gave it more tension even if the ending is flawed and far fetched. 4th out of 10 stories.

overall this is a great series and to date the best series so far, Doctor Who has become familiar now and with this series success, I'm looking forward to the next series, not much else is needed to be said other than the style of Russell T. Davis is becoming more predominate, using quite sly hints towards things like drugs and innuendo, this is kind of quirky and good for adult audiences but its humour is hit and miss still trying to be one thing one episode and then something different the next, with no character change to compliment that, however its not that noticeable, but I guess that my opinion is that I'm not entirely amused by there humour, but never the less I'm still entertained, might i say the sets are much better nowadays rather than them being really noticeable, so far major improvements each time.
  11. Nov 10, 2014
  12. Oct 16, 2014
    The show really started to hit its stride in this season. With arguably the best Doctor (played by Tennant) and a stronger companion than the previous season the stage was well set for what Sci-Fi does best: exploring the human condition in strange new settings.
  13. May 21, 2015
    The 3rd Season of Doctor Who's 2005 continuation really hits the marks on some episodes and totally misses on others but what makes the season (aside of course from the family of blood two part-er and blink) is the chemistry between the Doctor and Martha
  14. Sep 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Martha Jones, portrayed by the brilliant and talented Freema Agyeman, was the best follow up to Billie Piper's Rose, even better. David Tennant is still great as the Tenth Doctor and John Simm is fantastic as the Master! Solid episodes include Smith & Jones, Gridlock, 42, Blink and the three-part finale (Utopia, The Sound of Drums and Last of the Time Lords). Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.