Doctor Who : Season 5

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
8.2

1. Jul 22, 2014
    After a well needed regeneration, a new style of who unfolds. Steven Moffat is now in control of the show, and (at the time) this was a great choice, Steven Moffat pretty much wrote the best stories of each season up till now. Now its gone a little down hill, I can't really understand why this doesn't live up to the previous series, I mean its Steven Moffat! and not to mention the newAfter a well needed regeneration, a new style of who unfolds. Steven Moffat is now in control of the show, and (at the time) this was a great choice, Steven Moffat pretty much wrote the best stories of each season up till now. Now its gone a little down hill, I can't really understand why this doesn't live up to the previous series, I mean its Steven Moffat! and not to mention the new doctor probably the best of the new series doctors and some of the classic's so far. Matt Smith is just fantastic, truly a new lease of live that has charm as this series adopts a fairytale style format of storytelling, its nice and suites it but this is where the series fails, its just quite weak and fails to live up to the previous series completely, but only as an integral series, individually the episodes are disguised and fool you to thinking this series is good . Because I tell you what this series doesn't know whether its coming or going, everything just feels out of order, lost and pretty basic, apart from some well written, episodes, directing and acting this series is completely missable if you so wish it and to be honest I wouldn't blame anyone who does. this series is just... basic... nothing interesting... big disappointment.

5.01: The Eleventh Hour
    After that big rant, I'll contradict myself here by saying that this is one of the best episodes ever! its beautifully acted, the best after regeneration story to date. its beautifully written and beautifully directed basically a gem of an episode. and sadly nothing in this series will ever live up to it. 1st of 10 stories
    5.02: The Beast Below
    A casual watch nothing really that interesting, I have to say the themes and convention here are a little too early for the doctor to be experiencing especially when the audience is trying to figure out who there new doctor is. This story isn't amazing but compared to the rest its decent. 5th out of 10 stories
    5.03: Victory of the Daleks
    A dalek story that follows continuity, sadly the rest of the story doesn't live up to its promises, the new daleks are just..well just new daleks, and the whole story is just running around waiting to end 6 out of 10 stories
    5.04: The Time of the Angels / 5.05: Flesh and Stone
    Probably the most decent two parter of the series, its a pretty simple plot but its very well mad, and the return of the weeping angels was just great, compared to everything else this two parter was great. 2nd out of 10 stories.
    5.06: The Vampires of Venice
    Another casual flick, that uses the past as its primary cause for concern if the doctor succeeds or not, its just ok, using a comical outlook on things. 7 out of 10 stories
    5.07: Amy's Choice
    Ok so now we get something interesting, however far fetched this episode is, its still quite brilliant, some great imagination here, but is a little silly, but hey ho, this episode is still good. 3rd out of 10 stories
    5.08: The Hungry Earth / 5.09: Cold Blood
    A really bad execution towards the "new" Silurians, I'm deeply disappointed in this two parter, nearly two hours of dribble. 10 out of 10 stories
    5.10: Vincent and the Doctor
    Not a bad effort at making a more quirkier tale of Doctor Who, I actually quite liked the chemistry behind this one, I found it very different not to mention the fact that it really puts the spotlight on Vincent Van Gough. 4th out of 10 stories
    5.11: The Lodger
    The most comical episode so far this episode justifys why I say this series sis neither one type or the other its just juggling to many things. but this episode, this episode is just bad.
    9th out of the stories
    5.12: The Pandorica Opens / 5.13: The Big Bang
    stupidly complicated that really throws out a good plot ark through the window, Steven Moffat has written a dreadfull two parter thats too complicated to care, the universe reboots....-.- ok whatever mate. 8 out of 10 stories

so too round up, this series wasn't good at all what saved it was some fabulous writing and excellent acting from Matt Smith and Karen Gillan as Amy pond who is just ok as a companion, I find it hard to like this series, so I'm going to shut up now, for what looked like it could be the best series ever turned out to be a complete flop.
  2. May 22, 2011
    What's happened, Doctor? I used to love your show but now it's just terrible writing, too many reccuring characters and overfamiliar plots of 'Problem+Another character who's come back from death for the 17th time+Doctor+Sad casualty=Weak happy ending with everything solved.' It's saddening to watch a great series turn spineless and weak. Rory and Amy are good characters, if generic, though.
  3. Oct 16, 2013
    Smith is great as the doctor and Gillan is pretty solid as his companion Amy. Smith has certainly had his fair share of memorable moments through out the season. That being said, There really is not much of an overall plot (much like the first season of the rebooted Doctor Who). It's more of a singular episode plot and I understand that the doctor has many adventures so there is a lot ofSmith is great as the doctor and Gillan is pretty solid as his companion Amy. Smith has certainly had his fair share of memorable moments through out the season. That being said, There really is not much of an overall plot (much like the first season of the rebooted Doctor Who). It's more of a singular episode plot and I understand that the doctor has many adventures so there is a lot of room for those kinds of one-shot episodes but let's be honest, The plot is far better when they have a big overall picture and this season doesn't have that.

Overall, Smith alone makes it worth watching and any fan of the show will love it so can you really complain?
  4. Sep 22, 2010
    matt smith takes to the role like a duck to the pond (no pun intended :P) he makes the doctor character look so old. i must admit though, matt smith is not my doctor. christopher eccleston was. he was malencholy, realistic, witty, and humorous. in my opinion christopher kinda makes matt smith look kind of feeble at times.
  5. Oct 24, 2010
    I enjoyed this series, not as much as others, but it had good acting and writing. The big let-down though is the less-than-believable special effects, that ultimately let the show down.
  6. Mungo
    Apr 17, 2010
    Opening scene was tedious with the food. Little Amelia was great. Keep Amy, keep the cast. Get a new writer & a new Dr. I'm sick of seeing the world saved in 20 minutes.

1. It's family-friendly and adult-pleasing, over-the-top and nightmarish, witty and deep all at the same time.
    Truth is there’s nothing off in either Smith’s infectiously enthusiastic spin on the good Doctor or in newly installed executive producer Steven Moffat's confident storytelling.
    There's no darkness looming just yet, and the season premiere is almost too jokey at times--certain comedic bits are stretched longer than they should be. Still, this is quite a bold and energetic (if not frenetic) new edition of Doctor Who. Hang on to the TARDIS, fans, it looks like we're in for quite a ride.