Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.1

1. Jul 3, 2011
    Although inconsistent standard of Episodes, the Head Writer Steven Moffat showcased brilliance (except 'The Beast Below') all the way through, the Crack in the Wall was a great premise but was obvious the last two Episodes would be dedicated towards it. The Structure of the Plot was flawless, it fooled me what this 'Perception Filter' Business was and decided not to conclude to it.Although inconsistent standard of Episodes, the Head Writer Steven Moffat showcased brilliance (except 'The Beast Below') all the way through, the Crack in the Wall was a great premise but was obvious the last two Episodes would be dedicated towards it. The Structure of the Plot was flawless, it fooled me what this 'Perception Filter' Business was and decided not to conclude to it. Altogether, the Vortex Manipulator was a cop out end to this AMAZING plot but was blown out the water by AMAZING Episodes like 'Vincent and the Doctor', 'Victory of the Daleks', 'The Hungry Earth', 'Cold Blood' and the brilliant season opener 'The Eleventh Hour'. The greatest series of Doctor Who since the revival! Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2011
    Good for the most part, but some plots were far too complicated. Still, Matt Smith proves himself as the best Doctor yet, and the companions have some more substance than previous ones.
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    As always, I love looking forward to Doctor Who. I found it fascinating when Matt Smith appeared on the scene and was always willing to give the next incarnation of the Doctor a try. There was much I liked about this season, like the introduction of new characters such as the vampires which were actually aliens and the comeback of the Weeping Angels. Of course, it was then that I realisedAs always, I love looking forward to Doctor Who. I found it fascinating when Matt Smith appeared on the scene and was always willing to give the next incarnation of the Doctor a try. There was much I liked about this season, like the introduction of new characters such as the vampires which were actually aliens and the comeback of the Weeping Angels. Of course, it was then that I realised it looked more like a kid's show than a family favourite, which it isn't supposed to be. Not too bad for Matt's first series, although it could have been a little better - on another note, my favourite episode was Time of Angels. Expand
  4. tce
    Dec 4, 2010
    Well, thank god. This show had pretty much become an embarrassment to all British TV under Russell T Davies, culminating in last year's utterly horrendous specials. Thankfully Steven Moffat, as head writer and executive producer, has gotten rid of all the disgusting cloying emotionalism, manipulative nonsense, terrible plotting, pathetic direction and soap-opera tone that seemed to plagueWell, thank god. This show had pretty much become an embarrassment to all British TV under Russell T Davies, culminating in last year's utterly horrendous specials. Thankfully Steven Moffat, as head writer and executive producer, has gotten rid of all the disgusting cloying emotionalism, manipulative nonsense, terrible plotting, pathetic direction and soap-opera tone that seemed to plague the RTD years. Perhaps once all the tasteless fanboys have gotten over the transition, Doctor Who can go back to being appropriate for ALL ages again, instead of just being targeted at moody teenagers?

But enough complaining! The fifth season of the revived series has been brilliant on all fronts.

The fresh Doctor, Matt Smith ditches Tennant's forced wackiness and forced seriousness, in favour of a much subtler and more subdued approach that deserves to make him a favourite among all age groups. He's NATURALLY strange - strange face, strange voice, strange physicality - and exudes a wholly natural, seamless eccentricity that we haven't really had since the days of Tom Baker (no disrespect to Davison, C. Baker, McCoy, McGann or Eccleston's lovely portrayals (yes, Colin and McGann were really good in their audio plays)). Instead of conforming to a range of very specific acting tropes, he's good at sliding around between them, conveying lots of mixed emotions simultaneously. Of course, it helps that the character of his Doctor in the scripts is massively improved as well - a return to the zany professor of Classic Who, as opposed to the moody graphic novel superhero Ten seemed to become.

As for the rest of the cast? Karen Gillan is fun to watch and plays up the amazing chemistry between Amy and the Doctor to a great extent, even in the face of her rather vague characterization. Arthur Darvill as her nice-guy boyfriend Rory is effortlessly hilarious and sympathetic - a perfect piece of casting there. And Alex Kingston infuses River Song with just the right balance of RAGE-inducing smugness ("Spoilers!") and femme-fatale charisma.

You can spot a noticeable rise in the standard of writing this season too. Funnily enough, in the RTD years, it wasn't RTD himself producing most of the embarassing rubbish. It was the rest of the writers (not including Moffat or Paul Cornell, of course). But this year, we had a pair of brilliant efforts from guest writers Simon Nye and Richard Curtis, a very fun companion-lite episode from the usually subpar Gareth Roberts, and a mostly tolerable story set in Venice from Toby Whithouse (who did the rather naff School Reunion one with Sarah Jane). Let's just try to forget Victory of the Daleks (which shouldn't be too hard as it was pretty damn forgettable to begin with. I don't mind the new Daleks though!).

Steven Moffat's new approach to Who storytelling has proved a success so far, doing away with RTD's "hint at the season finale" gimmick in favour of a slow-burning, intrigue-laden arc plot that seems to extend across multiple seasons. Unlike the writers of a certain popular American serial that concluded on a flat note this year, Moffat has a very clear knowledge of where he's taking this all (having possibly planned it as far back as 2008 when River made her first appearance) so we can be sure that the inevitable revelation surrounding her true connection to the Doctor, the nature of the Silence, and the ultimate significance of Amy, will be a jaw-dropping one.

Congratulation must also go to everyone else involved (save that trollop who laid Graham Norton over The Time of Angels). New cameras and new directors made this season utterly gorgeous, freeing it of that cheap look that it's had since 2005 (when the camera was like an abused child). The new TARDIS set is stunning and a hell of a lot nicer to look at than that ugly coral one. Murray Gold's score is much more reserved now and complements the action rather than competing with it (and the new theme tune is much more appropriate to the tone of the show, even if it still doesn't compare with Delia's). And to top it all off, even the new CGI opening titles, with that stormy time vortex, make nicer viewing than the slipstream of alien vomit we had before.

So, in summary, brilliant. Doctor Who is in safe hands, the safest it's been in a long time. And, phwoar - does that Christmas special look brilliant or what? A Who Xmas special that's actually about Xmas. Incredible. Moffat had better stay on for a very long time, and so had Smith.
  5. Mar 23, 2011
    Amazing! The writing in this series is the best it has ever been. Plus, great performances from Matt Smith and other cast members. And the soundtrack is incredible! Way to go Moffat and team
  6. Sep 3, 2011
    Hands down the best season of Doctor Who so far. Moffat is a clever writer, with episodes that make you realize that The Doctor is more than just a silly man with a time machine. Sure, its ridiculous, but if you're bashing this season for being overly ridiculous, you should step back and realize that you're watching a show starring a man named "The Doctor" who is a time traveling alienHands down the best season of Doctor Who so far. Moffat is a clever writer, with episodes that make you realize that The Doctor is more than just a silly man with a time machine. Sure, its ridiculous, but if you're bashing this season for being overly ridiculous, you should step back and realize that you're watching a show starring a man named "The Doctor" who is a time traveling alien called a Time Lord, with two hearts and a sonic screwdriver that can basically do anything, and can't die because he just turns into a different person basically. If that's not ridiculous, you have no business watching this show. As a friend of mine said, The Doctor's greatest tool is his cartoon resourcefulness. Every episode in this season is brilliant, Matt Smith is an incredible actor, and everything is so shiny and fancy, not cheap-feeling like seasons before. I'm glad Moffat took the reigns. He's a brilliant writer and is turning the show into something great and its never been before. Expand
  7. Dec 28, 2012
    After David Tennant was gone from the show I was concerned that I wouldn't like the next Doctor, but Matt Smith manages to pull it off well and put his own spin on the Character. Amy is the strongest companion since Rose Tyler, Rory is kind of weak in this season (although I like him more in later seasons). This season takes the show in a more "Tim Burton-esk" fantasy and steam-punkAfter David Tennant was gone from the show I was concerned that I wouldn't like the next Doctor, but Matt Smith manages to pull it off well and put his own spin on the Character. Amy is the strongest companion since Rose Tyler, Rory is kind of weak in this season (although I like him more in later seasons). This season takes the show in a more "Tim Burton-esk" fantasy and steam-punk direction which is an interesting direction for the show. Expand
  8. Apr 14, 2013
    Joshua Jacobi is well known person in Texas area. He is man of great heart, I definitely want to say. His intelligence, experience, mentality are something different than other. Please give him a chance to come in TV show. I hope the Christmas episode makes up for an above-average Doctor so far. Jacobi can make a episode more successful. We are looking forward to hearing from authority.
  9. Feb 18, 2014
    David Tennant and Matt Smith are very different Doctors. David Tennant was serious and silly, which was great in seasons 2-4. However, the writers saw this and thought the series needed a silly Doctor, which is what Matt Smith became. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some of the silliness of Matt Smith, but the writers seemed to think they were writing a comedy with science fiction elements,David Tennant and Matt Smith are very different Doctors. David Tennant was serious and silly, which was great in seasons 2-4. However, the writers saw this and thought the series needed a silly Doctor, which is what Matt Smith became. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some of the silliness of Matt Smith, but the writers seemed to think they were writing a comedy with science fiction elements, when really they should have been writing a science fiction with comedy elements. Expand
  10. Sep 24, 2010
    Matt Smith portrays a very interesting Doctor, but he's not quite as charming as David Tennant. Amy Pond and Rory however are both great companions. The only thing I don't like is that some of the stories and special effects are rather simple. I hope the Christmas episode makes up for an above-average Doctor so far. The Big Bang so far has been the best episode.
  11. MickeyS.
    Apr 18, 2010
    As a long time Dr. Who fan, I found this episode was brilliant.
  12. MrBlack
    Apr 18, 2010
    A lot better than I actually thought he would be. A classic Dr Who story with a Gen Y / iGen kick to it. Matt Smith IS The Doctor! He could well end up in the elite company of fellow Doctors that truely made the role unique. Such as Baker, Eccleston, & Tennant. Amy Pond (Karen Gillian) could also end up being one of the best companions ever.
  13. LeahT
    Apr 17, 2010
    As a long-time Whovian, I can say that Moffat's hands are wonderful for holding this series together. Despite the pain caused by the loss of David Tennant, this looks to be another brilliant series - perhaps it'll surpass the others, since the writing is much better. Wonderful.
  14. HeidiF
    Apr 17, 2010
    Great Show I saw it online early and it's the best.
  15. Sep 6, 2010
    Having seen the whole series, I was pleased to see an improvement over the last series. Better companion, better episodes, and a interesting theme throughout. With Season 4, David managed to hold it together, but the new episodes are generally good. There are some tedious and annoying scenes, but other than that this is some great TV, and well worth seeing.
  16. Jan 7, 2012
    The best season of Doctor Who ever!!! Season 4 was the lowest point of the new series, a non-existent story arc, mediocre start, a disappointing finish and several horrid episodes. The 2009 Specials didn't fair much better, with The End of Time gaining the reputation for being the DW equivalent to Episode I (but that's probably just me).
    The good news was that the series was getting an
    The good news was that the series was getting an overhaul, with new cast, new directors, new writers, new producers, and most importantly: a new showrunner. Steven Moffat in my opinion is for the new series, what Terry Nation was for the classic series. An amazing writer that brought into the show a wade array of memorable villains. Naturally him becoming the showrunner was one of the best things to happen to the show. And that's especially true with Season 5. Steven Moffat began the season with the best premiere any show could ask for, The Eleventh Hour, which introduced the new Doctor and companions perfectly and is among my top 20 best episodes. The resulting momentum wasn't lost in the following 12 episodes, most of which were pretty good, 2 were average, and 2 were bad (but not too bad). The season finale, The Big Bang is by far one of the best finales in Doctor Who history, with an amazing script and performances, winning a Hugo award for best dramatic presentation (short form).
    The season as a whole consisted of 7 awesome episodes and 4 average-to-subpar episodes. So if you haven't seen the show yet then this is the perfect season to start it off.
  17. Oct 17, 2010
    A stunning debut season from new head writer Steven Moffat and new Doctor Matt Smith. Smith settles in brilliantly and shows that he is the Doctor albeit in a very different from David Tennant and Chris Eccelstone. Karen Gillan is perfect and sexy as Amy Pond. A fantastic season that sees the return of the Weeping Angels and Silurians and teases all season with a single question; what isA stunning debut season from new head writer Steven Moffat and new Doctor Matt Smith. Smith settles in brilliantly and shows that he is the Doctor albeit in a very different from David Tennant and Chris Eccelstone. Karen Gillan is perfect and sexy as Amy Pond. A fantastic season that sees the return of the Weeping Angels and Silurians and teases all season with a single question; what is the Pandorica? A high quality season filled with everything that makes Doctor Who great. Expand
  18. Nov 10, 2010
    This is an excellent show! and the new doctor, although not David Tennant, is brilliant. I hope this show never goes off the air, I can't get enough of it.
  19. Apr 25, 2014
    The Fifth Series of Doctor Who is by far the best. Matt Smith and Karren Gillan make for enjoyable leads and the plot becomes more complex and deep. Additinaly, the visual effects and production values are a huge step up from the previpus series. There were a few episodes which misfired, but overall, Doctor Who continues its great streak uptil now.
  20. Sep 29, 2014
    this is on par with seasons 1 and 3.. brilliant, hands down amazing. Matt Smith is the new doctor and swings into action just as well as tom baker did, this man is the doctor, the opening was fantastic, Amy's Choice being my favourite of the season however closely behind is the Pandorica opens and the big band, aswell as vincent and the doctor, not as good as season 3, but on par withthis is on par with seasons 1 and 3.. brilliant, hands down amazing. Matt Smith is the new doctor and swings into action just as well as tom baker did, this man is the doctor, the opening was fantastic, Amy's Choice being my favourite of the season however closely behind is the Pandorica opens and the big band, aswell as vincent and the doctor, not as good as season 3, but on par with season 1, amy is fiiinnnee. rory is pretty cool and matt smith was a brilliant choice for the doctor.. to this day he is still My doctor, althought I started watching when I was 4 with chris eccleston, matt made me love the series. Expand
  21. Mar 31, 2014
    A brilliant series and the one which got me hooked on to become a Whovian. I really love Matt Smith's Doctor and I feel it well written most of the time.
    You must watch it.
  22. Apr 19, 2014
    This season is so different from the previous four that it's practically a different show, which isn't necessarily bad. Matt Smith is a good Doctor, though it's hard to beat David Tennant. I liked most of the episodes in the first half of the season, but then lost some interest. Steven Moffat has taken the show in a new direction with this season. Though it's not as good as the previousThis season is so different from the previous four that it's practically a different show, which isn't necessarily bad. Matt Smith is a good Doctor, though it's hard to beat David Tennant. I liked most of the episodes in the first half of the season, but then lost some interest. Steven Moffat has taken the show in a new direction with this season. Though it's not as good as the previous four, it's still a great season. Collapse Expand
  23. Nov 10, 2014
    The Fifth Series of Doctor Who is by far the best. Matt Smith and Karren Gillan make for enjoyable leads and the plot becomes more complex and deep. Additionaly, the visual effects and production values are a huge step up from the previous series. There were a few episodes which misfired, but overall, Doctor Who continues its great streak uptil now.
  24. Jan 11, 2015
    This season, rebooted by Steven Moffat as showrunner and Matt Smith and Karen Gillan starring, had me from the first episode, the brilliant The Eleventh Hour. Having seen all of Nine's run and a handful of Ten's, Eleven really sold me on the show--there are just so many memorable episodes. This was genre storytelling at its finest, with Moffat's vision of the show at its strongest. I canThis season, rebooted by Steven Moffat as showrunner and Matt Smith and Karen Gillan starring, had me from the first episode, the brilliant The Eleventh Hour. Having seen all of Nine's run and a handful of Ten's, Eleven really sold me on the show--there are just so many memorable episodes. This was genre storytelling at its finest, with Moffat's vision of the show at its strongest. I can go back and enjoy most of the previous actors in this role, and enjoy a bit of Capaldi, but Matt remains My Doctor, with Karen my favorite companion. (although I have to say, she is so sweet and cheery in interviews, I wish they had more of her real personality in Amy!) Expand
  25. Mar 17, 2015
    The Series does a pretty good job introducing the not so great Series 6, and the storyline is OK. A good beginning for Matt Smith, and Gillan, Darvill, and Kingston are good. Tony Curran as Vincent Van Gogh is amazing, and for everyone's sake we'll just forget Victory of the Daleks.

1. Reviewed by: Randee Dawn
    It's family-friendly and adult-pleasing, over-the-top and nightmarish, witty and deep all at the same time.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Truth is there’s nothing off in either Smith’s infectiously enthusiastic spin on the good Doctor or in newly installed executive producer Steven Moffat's confident storytelling.
    There's no darkness looming just yet, and the season premiere is almost too jokey at times--certain comedic bits are stretched longer than they should be. Still, this is quite a bold and energetic (if not frenetic) new edition of Doctor Who. Hang on to the TARDIS, fans, it looks like we're in for quite a ride.