Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
8.2

1. Feb 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Rory and Amy were the staples holding together the poor script that was Steven Moffat's writing. Steven writing them out was like throwing away your food while trapped on a desert island. Steven Moffat seems to not be writing a script, but throwing everything from Doctor Who together in a blender. The Crimson Horror is very stupid. Why didn't the Doctor go back in time to save Eda from being experimented on? Nightmare in Silver COULD have been a good episode, if those kids weren't in it. The Name of the Doctor was a waste of an episode. In the end, you don't even learn the doctor's name. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2013
    The further I get into this season, The more I hate it. Most of the episodes are rather boring and quite a grind to finish, So much so that I can not wait for them to end. There is no more fun, No sense of adventure that the previous seasons had. I agree with Stabs_with_Pudz, This season took a massive nose dive and I don't think it will recover from that.
  3. Apr 13, 2013
    Doctor Who has become a treacly, silly, caricature of its formerly revived self. I sorely miss the Eccleston and Tennant years when the stories were darker, more clever, more grounded and more interesting. The writing is no larger sharp. It's half-witted and plugs in artificial sweetness (children singing, Amy and Rory romance) for real character development. Grand melodrama for new ideasDoctor Who has become a treacly, silly, caricature of its formerly revived self. I sorely miss the Eccleston and Tennant years when the stories were darker, more clever, more grounded and more interesting. The writing is no larger sharp. It's half-witted and plugs in artificial sweetness (children singing, Amy and Rory romance) for real character development. Grand melodrama for new ideas (the world is ending! the Doctor is going to die!)

Matt Smith is likeable enough, but the miles on the Tardis have either just gotten to high or a better class of writing and direction are needed back. Just watch the first 2 seasons on Netflix and then go back to Saturday nights to see the glaring difference. The Doctor was mysterious and weighed down by his place in the universe. Now he's a jokey buffoon. The stories used to take us far and away through time and space and now we see more of London than most Londoners. Maybe that gives it greater mass appeal(?), but at the very disappointing expense of intelligence and suspense.

Doctor Who? I just don't care anymore.
  4. May 15, 2014
    There were a few episodes which misfired but overall, brilliant acting from Matt Smith and all his companions, clever plotting from the writers, brilliant visual effects, great villains and many other small things contributed to make this one fine Doctor Who series.
  5. Feb 22, 2014
    "So basically - OHHH - So basically the Doctor Who Christmas Anniversary special starts off... starts off with.. a... christmas celebration.. umm.. in Clara's household with her... with her... with her gran... mother father and she - oh no no sorry - before it the doctor's investigating this thing, all these ships orbiting around a planet... ugh... the episode includes such things as bald"So basically - OHHH - So basically the Doctor Who Christmas Anniversary special starts off... starts off with.. a... christmas celebration.. umm.. in Clara's household with her... with her... with her gran... mother father and she - oh no no sorry - before it the doctor's investigating this thing, all these ships orbiting around a planet... ugh... the episode includes such things as bald Matt Smith, ugh, it is full of action has Daleks, Cybermen and also includes The Silence; I CAN'T EVEN REMEMBER THE EPISODE WITH ALL THIS! **** I ****ing give up. The episode was ugh; the episode was 4/5. It was... It was really quite good, good special effects, loads of monsters and a good story. I'm sorry I couldn't review it more but just god gosh that was hot. Ok where are the more tissues?" Will Expand
  6. Sep 3, 2012
    Absolutely brilliant! This is the reason Doctor Who is more popular now then ever before. In the tradition of such shows as The Twilight Zone and The X-Files, DW has such boundlessly imaginative stories, concepts and characters. It can go anywhere and anytime within this universe and the occasional other. Every episode is like being a kid walking into an alien toy store.
  7. Sep 9, 2012
    Doctor Who is Great. the whole concept of every episode being able to take place anywhere at any time is wonderful and opens up so many windows into the possibilities of eventualities which Steven Moffat and co-writers achieve so well
  8. Mar 26, 2013
    Sorry to burst people's bubbles but Doctor Who took a massive nose dive in Season 7, it went from the pure awesomeness of Series 6 and I was thinking "Hey, Doctor who is actually starting to grow up now and is really serious," then STEVEN FRIKKIN MOFFAT!!!! had to go "Lol nope" and suddenly Doctor Who went had gone to sh*t. Seriously the christmas special "The Doctor, the Widow & theSorry to burst people's bubbles but Doctor Who took a massive nose dive in Season 7, it went from the pure awesomeness of Series 6 and I was thinking "Hey, Doctor who is actually starting to grow up now and is really serious," then STEVEN FRIKKIN MOFFAT!!!! had to go "Lol nope" and suddenly Doctor Who went had gone to sh*t. Seriously the christmas special "The Doctor, the Widow & the wardrobe were the warning signs (seriously, trees with souls?) and suddenly Asylum of the Daleks showed up, sure I liked Jenna Louise Coleman there (another victim of Moffat) but the plot made no sense and has permanently ruined Daleks for me, the visuals were terrible compared to before and the whole thing was just lazily put together & the bad acting was driving me insane, I felt like killing Karen after that, her acting went from like 8 to 1, just like that. The problem with it was the fact that Moffat tried to fit 2 episodes worth of story into 1, it just doesn't work.
    Next episode was Dinosaurs on a spaceship, I was still recovering from Asylum. I enjoyed it a bit more, because I was desperate for something good, BUT! It was just more crap! Once again a plot that is just complete crap and too simplistic, the visuals were "ok" at best but the cgi of space were unrealistic and crap, the only thing good about it was the fact that Argus Filch and Arthur Weasley were in it.
    Then we move onto A Town called Mercy, what can I say? Person who looks like a rip off of the Terminator, guy with paint on his face and a terrible over-dramatic plot that has no logic to it that wants me to feel sympathy about a character dying when I don’t even know who they are. The visuals were average, lasers look and sound dumb, expecially when they add in big explosion sounds to make the blast seem more powerful than it really is and they try to make a breaking clock face look dramatic.
    Now we move onto the ABOMINATION!!! Also known as The power of three.
    First of all, I officially hate Chris Chibnall. Why? Because he completely ruined U.N.I.T. He wants us to believe that the Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart’s daughter has managed to take charge and completely change the way U.N.I.T works… U.N.I.T being a part of the United Nations, operating in multiple countries, having existed for over 40 years. I don’t believe that for 1 second. And I can’t believe that a massive professional military organisation can turn into a bunch of stupid unproffesional woosbags, I mean half the scientists don’t even wear uniforms! And speaking of uniforms, they got rid of the red caps which I am angry about! Apart from that the story makes no sense: Aliens using cubes that wait a whole year to slowly electrocute people that can easily be stopped, and aliens that randomly kidnap people and teleport them to their spaceship for no reason and aliens who use random men in glasses that have no purpose. The plot is extremely bad especially the fact that the Doctor killed all those people on the spaceship when he blew it up. After that episode I was seriously considering dumping the show for good, a person who has been a fan for 8 years.
    The Angels take Manhattan was one of the better episodes in the series, even if I was crying by the end of it. The positives of it would be that weeping angels are in it & River Song makes an appearance, and we get to see some of The Doctor’s and River’s playing with time. Also the fact that the Statue of Liberty is a Weeping Angel, it is really creepy when you see a massive set of teeth right behind the character.
    Now to the negatives, the story is far too rushed, like I said with Asylum of the Daleks. Moffat is trying to fit 2 episodes worth of stuff into 1 which really doesn’t work and often leads to stupid rushed events such as Rory and Amy deciding to kill themselves… jeez guys I’m sure the Doctor would have thought of something. And at the end Moffat broke all our hearts (again). So that’s end of my review, feel free to hate my guts right now.
  9. Dec 28, 2012
    Finally Rory is more than just a comedic device and starts to step up and be a man (well this season and also Season 6), Amy is still great as is Matt Smith as the doctor. This is a short season but the episodes were all good with a shocking end to the short season. After what took place at the end of this season I am interested to see what Season 8 will be like. I don't want to say moreFinally Rory is more than just a comedic device and starts to step up and be a man (well this season and also Season 6), Amy is still great as is Matt Smith as the doctor. This is a short season but the episodes were all good with a shocking end to the short season. After what took place at the end of this season I am interested to see what Season 8 will be like. I don't want to say more to avoid any spoilers. Expand
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    Season 7 this show is getting tired. The problem? The writing. Despite punchy performances from it's actors, the stories simply aren't there. New companion Clara is ably played, but has zero chemistry with Matt Smith. Dull and predictable it's time this show took another rest.
  11. Mar 28, 2013
    No Spoilers: Series 7 Part 1 continues the adventures of the doctor and the on off companions Amy and Rory. Each episode seems fresh and uses a different genre to make it feel like a big blockbuster. Action, comedy, thriller and western are the genres used here to good effect. The first episode "Asylum of the Daleks" has the right amount of action and character moments, by this I mean theNo Spoilers: Series 7 Part 1 continues the adventures of the doctor and the on off companions Amy and Rory. Each episode seems fresh and uses a different genre to make it feel like a big blockbuster. Action, comedy, thriller and western are the genres used here to good effect. The first episode "Asylum of the Daleks" has the right amount of action and character moments, by this I mean the actors have got their character worked out which started to come through in series 6. Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill have portrayed a number of stages of their relationship on the show and Series 7 feels like a natural progression, they enter their final stages on the show as they leave in episode 5. Their performance's are heart breaking as they should be and their epic exit from the show isn't a let down in the american set "The Angles Take Manhattan". Matt Smiths performance continues to be as fun and weird as in the last series as the Doctor. The first and last episodes of the first part of the series are the best but the middle three aren't without merit. The second, a sort of comedy wasn't my taste but as a one off it was fun also Mark Williams plays Rory's dad gives a brings the story to life. "A Town Called Mercy" continues the series, filmed in Spain is a good story but can't live up to the Toby Whitehouse's last script "The Girl Who Waited". The 4th episode suffers a bad ending which leaves you confused which is a shame since the rest is one of the series' strongest to date. The special and visual effect continue to measure up to movie standards and there are enough twists, turns, brilliant acting, explosions and Daleks to keep you watching. Also look out for the new companion Clara Oswin who is brilliantly played by Jenna Louise Coleman who completely changes the show. If Part 2 keeps this up this will be the best series of NeWho to date! Expand
  12. Jan 26, 2013
    You'll probably be undecided with Season 7 until "Angels Take Manhattan", arguably the series' best episode to date. Don't fret about Jenna Louise-Coleman as the new companion, though. She's brilliant.
  13. Oct 25, 2013
    Loved season 7 very much! It had so much change but pulled off everything very nicely and had some great stories and set for the 50th anniversary in a big/EPIC way! :D
  14. Oct 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this is completely ridiculous, this season was frustrating, irritating and borderline stupid. I liked a few of the episodes such as dinosaurs on a spaceship, power of three, cold war, rings of akhaten, hide and the day of the doctor and that's about.. not even half of the series, most of the episodes were borderline **** Matt Smtih was great, amy and rory were great in their last moments, but I cannot deny, that Asylum of the daleks is probably the worst dalek story to come out of the new who history, terrible **** continuity errors all over the place and it completely **** over 49 years worth of build up, Town called mercy was pretty horrid, Angels take manhattan, **** over the angels and made them no longer scary and my God do I never want to see the weeping angels in another doctor who story.. PLEASE!!!! the snowmen was quite terrible with the "just because" flaw everywhere, the bells of saint john had nothing to do with the bells of saint john, there are all these things that really pissed me off about the season, ok, most of the episodes were ok, but there was nothing special to be seen at all in this season, sadly the episodes that are below average for me, are asylum of the daleks, snowmen, journey to the centre of the tardis and probably Angels take manhattan, but the ending to that was superb, I loved matt smiths final moments and I loved the 50th, as the 50th for me was the best episode of doctor who, since a good man goes to war. Expand
  15. Mar 2, 2014
    What the hell happened to my favourite series of all time? I never got bored in any episode of Doctor Who in series 1-6! I dare to say some episodes in series 7 are BORING! Dinosaurs in spaceship is a pretty good example. I would've say the same thing to Power Of Three but that was the point of the episode anyway. About Amy's departure. I was glad that she was gone because I was gettingWhat the hell happened to my favourite series of all time? I never got bored in any episode of Doctor Who in series 1-6! I dare to say some episodes in series 7 are BORING! Dinosaurs in spaceship is a pretty good example. I would've say the same thing to Power Of Three but that was the point of the episode anyway. About Amy's departure. I was glad that she was gone because I was getting tired of seeing her in every episode. Clara is a great companion but I seriously hope that they don't overuse her like Amy. It was disappointing that I couldn't see more of her with the 11th Doctor. Oh well I still have hope for Series 8. Expand
  16. Oct 13, 2014
    Steven Moffat had a lot to make up for after the hit and miss series 6, so did he make for it, let's find out:

Asylum of the Daleks is an incomprehensible mess (3/10) Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is fun & exciting (9/10) A Town called Mercy is fun but flawed (5/10) The Power of Three is a nice establishing story for Amy & Rory's finale (7/10) The Angels take Manhattan throws away

Asylum of the Daleks is an incomprehensible mess (3/10)
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship is fun & exciting (9/10)
    A Town called Mercy is fun but flawed (5/10)
    The Power of Three is a nice establishing story for Amy & Rory's finale (7/10)
    The Angels take Manhattan throws away everything Power of Three established (6/10)
    The Snowmen doesn't even try to make sense (3/10)
    The Bells of Saint John is a bit redeeming for Moffat (8/10)
    The Rings of Akhaten is loads of fun story-wise (9/10)
    Cold War is very middle of the road (5/10)
    Hide can't decide what it's all about, but I still like it (7/10)
    Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS, I don't need to explain why this is bad (3/10)
    The Crimson Horror sort of divides my opinions (6/10)
    Nightmare in Silver is an odd beast with ridiculously overpowered cybermen (7/10)
    The Time of the Doctor is way too bizarre (7/10)

So yeah another hit and miss series, the fact that I don't have a single 10/10 here suggests that this is more hit than miss, as for the specials:

The Day of the Doctor is an awesome celebration (9/10)
    The Time of the Doctor is really what Matt Smith deserved as a finale (10/10)

Anyway let's hope series 8 can deliver more hope to doctor who.
  17. Mar 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Note: Includes review for specials too.
    After seeing Series 5 & 6 I waited and waited for the Doctor to come back. Month after month I just could not take it anymore. September 2012 I was rewarded with only Part 1 of Series 7. The first episode went out with a bang with a surprising cameo from Jenna Coleman but then the other episodes then started to drain the enjoyment of Asylum of The Daleks until there was Angels in Manhattan which then tampered with my empathy to all over the place. At the end of the episode I was left trembling with Amy's & Rory's heartbreaking farewell.
    December 2012 and I was still crying over Amy and Rory and so did the Doctor saying he had "retired" from saving the Universe. This Christmas special made me feel a little bit more hopeful after being left with the cliffhanger of "The Impossible Girl". Part 2 had the same story as Part 1 as in how good they were. Some episodes in between were a bit okay, but the Crimson Horror seemed a bit unnecessary and Nightmare in Silver would have been better without those annoying kids and that it was actually more of a two-parter. Name of The Doctor is amazing and so far one of my favourite episodes (up there with The Eleventh Hour) with another brilliant cliffhanger of The War Doctor which confused me into thinking he was going to be no.12 'til I done a bit of research to find he is not.
    November 2013 and I was pumped up to see the 50th Anniversary Special Day of the Doctor and that too is so brilliant that I'm not going to give any spoilers. The very next month I got my tissue packet ready to see Time of the Doctor and the episode didn't seem very interesting with all those skips in between with Clara but the regeneration was tearful and brave and had everything except for the music which they basically recycled from The Rings of Akhaten's Long Song but nothing can beat the cameo included which shall never be spoiled.
    I gave it a 7/10 for the long waiting in the beginning and for the bad episodes included AND for not having exclusive music for the Doctor's regen. Slightly disappointed but I do hope Series 8 is going help me feel better.
  18. Apr 19, 2014
    The season as a whole was very good. I certainly enjoyed part two of the season more than the first. Matt Smith is just as funny and clever as always, but the new companion has definitely helped the series. I enjoyed the storyline mainly. The mystery kept me watching each week. Although I didn't care much for the ending, season 7 is easily the best season of Doctor Who under Steven Moffat.
  19. Jan 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This season was kinda all over the place. Great send-off for Amy and Rory (though the whole not going back to New York didn't make a whole lot of sense--meet them in Utah or something!). I loved the first episode as well, the Western one, and the Christmas special (that hat!). In fact Eleven's Christmas Specials have all been great, when he sells that infectious enthusiasm. Sleek new TARDIS interior design. Clara is a much weaker companion though, and her episodes were mostly forgettable until the last few. The "Of The Doctor" trilogy was flawed but amazing. Much praise to Murray Gold for consistently brilliant music. Though I don't think they pulled off the old man make-up very well, the way they wrapped up Eleven's storylines and his farewell speech in Time Of The Doctor was nothing short of magic. Expand
  20. Mar 17, 2015
    One of the best Series to date, with only Hide and The Name of the Doctor disappointing. The first half is amazing, introducing Brian and Kate, and the second half is OK, with Clara being it's only downfall. I enjoy every episode of the season, even the underrated Cold War and Nightmare in Silver.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    May 15, 2013
    The British import--which wraps its third season under writer Steven Moffat (Sherlock) on May 18--remains a riot of witty weirdness.