Doll & Em : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Mar 19, 2014
Season #: 1, 2
4.9

1. Apr 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Watching this show made me hate women.

(This review contains "spoilers" because this show is already rancid enough that knowing details in advance couldn't possibly make it worse. I created an account JUST to post these comments--it's that bad.)

Two adult women who claim to be lifelong friends just pointlessly treat each other like crap. One goes out and reflexively locks the doors, unknowingly stranding her friend outside for hours because she is from England and apparently the women there are pathetically helpless.

When her friend finally comes home, the stranded one childishly refuses to allow for it being an innocent oversight and runs upstairs to punish her friend like a sullen child.

Doll and Em are at a party. Doll is bored, Em agrees to meet Doll outside to go home.

But on the way Doll is overcome with a flirtatious man, and instantly abandons her friend who only agreed to leave because SHE wanted to! Not only doesn't Doll think to signal her "best friend", who is now standing in the driveway like an abandoned waif, but she refuses to take calls from her "friend" to tell her why she just ditched her!

It goes on this way for all six episodes, with each "friend" that the other "loves" taking turns doing hateful-chick things to each other. As a man it made me wonder, "Could every crappy thing I've ever attributed to females be RIGHT?" Is this show proof that women tend to be vacuously "affectionate", demonstrating their superiority to men by HUGGING their victims before they shove something trivial painfully up their girl-holes?

No, I actually know some women who even if they aren't offended by this show at least refrain from the childishly spiteful behavior that this show seems to want to attribute to all women. (Susan Sarandon ingenuously protecting her 8-year old son (?!) from the pretend living room "sharks" that the idiot kid made up himself? I never thought I'd see this liberal goddess playing a psychotic woman who likes to ridicule autistic children!)

Wells was passable in her teensy anonymous role in "Peep Show", but Mortimer has always seemed too precious by half. (Exactly who COULDN'T bring off any of Aaron Sorkin's cartoonish characters? The acting in his shows always reminds me of high school.)

"Doll and Em" is exactly the right show to watch before going out to a pick-up bar, because then you won't care if none of the women talk to you--whether you're a man OR a woman. Otherwise, only watch it if you have absolutely nothing to do but want to feel aimlessly pissed off at everyone.
  2. Jun 18, 2015
    Dreadful- I couldn't watch it and I'm a woman. Just tedious and precious and heavy handed. Totally over done with pauses for the tiniest nuance of feeling. I watched the latest episode -season 2 ep 2- and it cut to a scene of them both in white around a bespoke 'shabby chic' white desk laughing and writing their inane play. Ugh! Thought it would be good chick lit escapism but they are soDreadful- I couldn't watch it and I'm a woman. Just tedious and precious and heavy handed. Totally over done with pauses for the tiniest nuance of feeling. I watched the latest episode -season 2 ep 2- and it cut to a scene of them both in white around a bespoke 'shabby chic' white desk laughing and writing their inane play. Ugh! Thought it would be good chick lit escapism but they are so totally up themselves, it is absolutely toe curling. Expand

Despite its refreshing commitment to realism, Doll & Em is ultimately too relaxed and meandering for its own good. There are times when you may wish it had embraced the occasional cliches with more gusto.
  2. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Mar 20, 2014
    It's a very smart, insightful piece about the delicate balance of success and insecurity within a female friendship.
  3. Reviewed by: Chris Cabin
    Mar 20, 2014
    Doll & Em turns out to be unerringly fair-minded in its view of popular filmmaking, if only because concerns about Hollywood's shallowness are secondary to ideas of age and, inevitably, death.