Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
7.8

1. Oct 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A little disappointing after the amazing first season. Still very solid and entertaining, but there are a couple of problems this time around. First off am I the only one that is tired of O'Brien and Thomas's sch-tick? I know the writers are trying to have some antagonists in this show, but i don't feel this is the type of show that needs villains. The stories are plenty rich enough and there are enough interesting characters without these plot points. My second biggest problem is Robert's semi fling with one of the maids. This seems very out of character, especially for a man who is so concerned with the perception of his family's relationships. I know this is probably meant to be part of the point of this story arc, but we are never given a reason to believe that these two people would have such a connection. One final thread that took me out of this season was bringing back a wounded soldier who is believed to be the former heir who was presumed dead on the Titanic. Not only was this story line implausible, it ended as quickly as it began, with little to no emotional hook. Not all was bad at Downton, most characters were as rich as ever, the scenery was amazing, and you get a real feel that this is how life was in these type of homes during this time period. The references to America and up and coming technology feel very real and are quite humorous. The acting is excellent with very little exception. There were also more than a couple of plot threads to enjoy, I am looking forward to a third season. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Phillip Maciak
    Feb 17, 2012
    Downton Abbey remains an extremely reliable television show. The appeal of the series is its pastness, its portrait of a completely foreign culture from a land before time.
  2. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 17, 2012
    The British series, about the aristocratic Crawley family and their titular home, goes down so easily that it's a bit like scarfing handfuls of caramel corn while swigging champagne.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jan 13, 2012
    Despite all the repetition and longueurs, this Downton Abbey frequently works, as the first one did, as a peppery little trifle.