7.8

1. Sep 16, 2013
    Cómo la web me pide un mínimo de 150 caracteres, y necesito hacer el review para poder tenerla archivada en mi perfil, pues suelto este rollo y mi votación es de 7. Un saludo.
  2. Aug 15, 2013
    It's impossible not to be transported through this series. Even at its worst you will laugh, you will cry, you will long, you will ache, and you will hurt through the longings, aches, and hurts of these characters, some of which are just so likable, it's almost unfair to suffer with them.
  3. May 21, 2013
    Season 3 is wretched. I'm not sure I've ever witnessed a show decline so much from a first season to a third. I can't imagine watching a fourth season.
  4. Mar 4, 2013
    I loved the first season of this show. The second season in my opinion had many problems. After the third season I may be out on Downton Abbey. This show has just became a soap opera for me. It no longer seems concerned in developing characters in an interesting manner. The stories have become more and more contrived and leaves my attention waning in nearly every episode. There are a couple of spoilers that I will not detail here, but they are blatant emotional manipulations that came nowhere close to working on me. I developed a fondness for many of these characters over the first two seasons that kept me watching, but those feelings may not last through another year. Expand
  5. Mar 1, 2013
    I still really like this show, but this season I felt like I was watching a show that was written, rather than seeing something that really happened. The people in the show seem like real people still. But the situations they get put into seem very much the work of writers.
  6. Feb 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The season 3 finale was AWFUL!! Really? Kill off Sybil in Season 2 finale (around childbirth) and now let's kill off Matthew in the Season 3 finale (on the day of the birth of his child). Lacks originality or thought or creative writing..... ridiculous, sooooo disappointing. UGH!! Not sure that I will continue watching and I have been an avid fan.... Expand
  7. Feb 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I'm very surprised to see that this season has been well received. to me it's like a Latin telenovela where terrible tragedies strike every character. spoiler having two main characters die after their birth of their baby seems ridiculous. it's sad that the story line went this way after an incredible first season. Collapse
  8. Feb 3, 2013
    I loved the first season, started shaking my head in the second and now find myself bored stiff with the twits above and the drones below. The IQ's below are superior to those above, but nary a rebellion to be seen...yet. How the hell did the Brits get such an empire? Certainly not by softness in the grey matter, or shyness to power, or ambition, yet these people seem like a Monty Python caricature bereft of humor and smugness and left listlessly unaware of their own irrelevance. Expand
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    Julian Fellowes has done it again. Series 3 of Downton Abbey is just as excellent as its predecessors. The first season was absolutely incredible, with every storyline providing a wonderful story by itself. The second season, while still fabulously written and well acted, was too founded on melodrama to make me truly love it, though I still liked the series greatly. This current series, the third series, is just as good, if not better, than the first series.

Maggie Smith still anchors the cast with her deliciously snarky performance as the Dowager Countess, with Elizabeth McGovern and Hugh Bonneville continuing their great work as the Earl and Countess of Grantham. Jim Carter, Joanne Froggatt, and Phyllis Logan continue their strong work, as do Jessica Brown-Findlay, Rob James-Collier, Siobhan Finneran, Lesley Nicol, Sophie McShera, Amy Nuttall, Kevin Doyle, and Allen Leech. Michelle Dockery, after giving brilliantly subtle, emotionally suppressed performances in the first 2 series, gives by far her most emotional characterization this season, especially in the series' first episode. Mirroring her, Dan Stevens also amps up his acting, providing some scenes that are simultaneously heartbreaking, infuriating, and emotionally painful. After becoming somewhat a character of annoying habits and nitpicks, Penelope Wilton's Cousin Isobel receives a welcome role renewal and is allowed to show her underrated acting abilities once again. Laura Carmichael is also terrific in showing the pain agony her character must endure and then trying to find herself and her place in the rapidly changing world. Unfortunately, the more and more episodes I watch, the less and less I like Mr. Bates and the more and more I like Anna. My distaste for Bates comes not from the character himself, but from Brendan Coyle's monumentally annoying portrayal of him. His constant whispering is maddening at best and downright infuriating a good portion of the time. Coyle's annoying characterization aside, this show has left behind any negative parts of its melodramatic streak in series 2, and has blossomed anew. Shirley MacLaine's presence is brilliant and every one of her lines is perfectly delivered. Her banter with Maggie Smith is a high point.

Period detail-wise, the show just keeps delivering. The costuming is spot on every time. Even if I had no idea of the point in history when I began, I knew immediately it was the 20s when Mary donned her blue proto-flapper dress and hat in the first episode. John Lunn's fabulous music is still just as terrific as always, and Nigel Willoughby's cinematography is just as beautiful as always. The tracking shots are possible the best since Thomas Schlamme's flawless walk-and-talk one in Aaron Sorkin's works, especially The West Wing.

I don't know how many series are ahead, but all I can say is I hope it never ends.
  10. Jan 17, 2013
    This season delivers the same stunning photography, immaculate attention to detail acting, wit, the list can be made very long. Story wise this show was better in season 1 and 2 but its still a master piece.
  11. Jan 9, 2013
    By far the best series yet. Downton Abbey series 3 has all the elements that makes the show a great entertainment for all the family. Downton makes us cry, laugh and enjoy at the same time. It is very recommendable.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    The strength of Season 3 is marred somewhat by its relatively lackluster season finale.
  2. Reviewed by: Sara Smith
    Feb 1, 2013
    Those who accept it for what it is--a funny, manipulative soap that relies on historical upheaval to frame its scarce plots--should be happy to hear that Downton’s new season is better than its last.
  3. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jan 7, 2013
    Through it all, though, Downton Abbey is still superior entertainment on a grand scale.