Downton Abbey : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.6

1. Oct 8, 2012
    Although the sets, the costumes, the music, and the direction all work to create a captivating world, the writing is sloppy and is more in the realm of a soap opera or a cartoon than an intelligent drama. Instead of showing the lives of convincing characters, the people of Downton Abbey are often one-dimensional and far too repetitive. The show's villains are entirely without motivation,Although the sets, the costumes, the music, and the direction all work to create a captivating world, the writing is sloppy and is more in the realm of a soap opera or a cartoon than an intelligent drama. Instead of showing the lives of convincing characters, the people of Downton Abbey are often one-dimensional and far too repetitive. The show's villains are entirely without motivation, worse than the moustache-twirling villains from Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons. The plots, somehow, are both predictable and absurd, and the characters complain, for years, about problems that are far too easy to resolve. Expand
  2. May 29, 2012
    If you like or miss soap operas this is a good choice, it is well written, acted and the characters are likable or even lovable. But I don't like soap operas
  3. Jan 23, 2011
    Okay, I just finished tonight's episode and that's it for me. I can't take anymore. If I ever hear it's actually ending, I may check in to see how. I wonder if the producers/writers, whatever, thought they were making another "Upstairs/Downstairs"? If so, they weren't. That was a fantastic series.

1. Reviewed by: Jeanne Jakle
    Jan 14, 2014
    There are plenty of jolts throughout: bigotry, rape, a possible murder. However, as is normally the case with Downton, it's the quieter moments that shine brightest.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark Dawidziak
    Jan 10, 2014
    If some plot elements in the third season seemed forced (and they did), then Fellowes seems to have completely regained his balance in the fourth season. And that balance means expertly bouncing between the upstairs and downstairs worlds of Downton, letting the plot turns flow naturally, carrying us along joyously for the posh ride.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Feb 14, 2011
    Now, I wouldn't say I loved it. Parts of it I didn't even like. I became quite engaged with what was going on downstairs with the servants, while I found virtually everything having to do with the Granthams (at least the parts unrelated to how they dealt with the staff) a chore to get through.