• Network: HBO

Jun 30, 2009
    the best
  2. VinL
    Mar 10, 2009
    A show that truly portrays the struggle of a fallen hero. Kenny Powers' battles are both internal and external. His arrogance is front for his self-loathing, and his desire to get back in the majors is over shadowed by his desire to win back the love of his life. Best show on TV ever, Kenny Powers is a hero for us all.
  3. DermotM
    Mar 20, 2009
    This show is a breath of fresh air, i hope it comes to the U.K where im sure it will be a huge hit. Fantastic!!!
  4. WalkerZ
    Apr 1, 2009
    This show is great. I wasn't that fired up about it, but my sister recommended it and I was locked in. Kenny Powers is the ultimate comedy/tradgedy. So I say we all need to let HBO know how much we love Eastbound before it gets raped like Deadwood did. Who's with me?
  5. carlosR
    Apr 18, 2009
    Will Ferrell, that is all I have to say about that.
  6. ReneeD
    Jun 9, 2009
    An excellent show that develops well later in the first season; it's a shame it was only six episodes. I encourage anyone who gave up on it in the first couple episodes to finish out season 1 and give the second one a shot when it premieres.
  7. BrentW
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is the funniest show I've ever seen. Sheer brilliance.
  8. ColinM
    Mar 23, 2009
    This show is absolutely hilarious. Danny McBride is perfect his role here and plays it very well. It is a very good blend of hilarity and seriousness. The pace of the show is also well done. All around A+! I definately recommend this show.
  9. charlesf
    Mar 3, 2009
    Very funny. McBride is from the South and he captures the part well. They break so many norms and moras down; but, do it in a gutt wrenching hilarious fashion
  10. DanG
    Mar 4, 2009
    I love this show Kenny Powers is so funny and the show crosses every line and i have laughed my a$$ off for the first 3 episodes.
  11. FrancoB
    Apr 17, 2009
    Ferrell/McBride GENIUS!
  12. KevK
    Apr 6, 2009
    I must say that some of these old ass movie critics from some of these newspapers need to go!!! Who is some 45-50 year old asshole think he is trying to rate a movie based on his old fashioned boring opinions. These papers need a youthful critic who knows what a younger generation finds funny. Kenny Powers says things and does things that everyday people would love to say and do, but no I must say that some of these old ass movie critics from some of these newspapers need to go!!! Who is some 45-50 year old asshole think he is trying to rate a movie based on his old fashioned boring opinions. These papers need a youthful critic who knows what a younger generation finds funny. Kenny Powers says things and does things that everyday people would love to say and do, but no one would ever have the guts to. Let us live through him and enjoy the show without your shitty reviews. All you old retards that think your opinion on this show matters. As Kenny Powers would say : "With all do respect, Go Fuck Yourselves." Thank You! Expand
  13. BradfordG
    Apr 8, 2009
    Funniest show ever. Laughed so hard I almost pissed myself. If you don't like this show then your probably a big fan of Oprah or some other fag show.
  14. GeorgeL
    Jul 29, 2009
    Awesome show. Period.
  15. DarrenNoneoyourbusiness
    Aug 19, 2009
    One of the best shows to hit tv in a very loooong time.
  16. RyanF
    Oct 17, 2009
    Best show on TV. Period.
  17. JohnM.
    Oct 8, 2009
    This is the best show on TV right now. The originality of the show is its greatest asset. Instead of making fun of the familiar southern stereotypes, it investigates the new ones, which are fresh and hilarious. I live in the real Shelby, NC and all I have to say is that this is spot on.
  18. TM
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'm watching the premiere for the third time and picking up jokes I must have laughed through the first two times. This show is f'ing awesome.
  19. AndrewG
    Feb 28, 2009
    I almost pissed myself because this show is sooo funny. Takes stereotypes to a new level and mixes real stories. You can see shades of John Rocker or anyone from a small town knows the local autodealer like Ashley. Excellent show that real people get. Jerkoffs in San Francisco and NYC won't get it and will find it offensive. Exactly what the show is written to do.
  20. StevieJ
    Mar 14, 2009
    I was reading the critics reviews and it seems to me that some of them need to come out of their ivory towers and join the rest of middle america in our struggles. These critics are the same people who allowed anyone and everyone to get a mortgage and led the world's economy down the toilet, while completely oblivious to the fact middle america got screwed in the process. Kenny I was reading the critics reviews and it seems to me that some of them need to come out of their ivory towers and join the rest of middle america in our struggles. These critics are the same people who allowed anyone and everyone to get a mortgage and led the world's economy down the toilet, while completely oblivious to the fact middle america got screwed in the process. Kenny Powers is the everyman, we all knew him in highschool and college, and we all wanted to be him at one time, and we all wanted to see him fall too. We get to watch the dichotomy of a man torn. At times you want to punch him at times you want to hug him. But for the everyman in all of us, Kenny is a genuine personality we can relate to. To the negative critics: You're missing out on one of the best shows to come around in years. Expand
  21. KJM
    Mar 15, 2009
    This show is the funniest show i've ever seen. Danny mcbride is the perfect kenny powers. The show is colorful but would not be as funny without it.
  22. RahmunC
    Mar 15, 2009
    Best show on television period. I have read some reviews and I believe that people expect too much. Danny McBride is tied to the Judd Apatow crew of classic comedies/comedians (40 Yr old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad) and this show is right in line. It's not about big funny events that make the whole family laugh...it's about the subtleties of the characterful that make it Best show on television period. I have read some reviews and I believe that people expect too much. Danny McBride is tied to the Judd Apatow crew of classic comedies/comedians (40 Yr old Virgin, Knocked Up, Superbad) and this show is right in line. It's not about big funny events that make the whole family laugh...it's about the subtleties of the characterful that make it classic. Watch out for Danny McBride, a star on the rise. Expand
  23. NG
    Mar 17, 2009
    One of the funniest TV shows ever!!! Anyone who appreciates great comedy will love this show. A classic in the making and Danny McBride gives one of the best comedic performances on TV. This show deserves to win many Emmys but it probably won't.
  24. JerryP
    Mar 22, 2009
    If you like Will Ferrel type humor, then this show is for you. Hopefully, they make another season.
  25. celenas
    Mar 23, 2009
    Some of the funniest comedy I've seen on TV in a long time! Would pay money to see more episodes.
  26. AdamW
    Mar 24, 2009
    Best show on TV! The casting and dialogue are second to none. I love Kenny Powers.
  27. ElaineO
    Mar 26, 2009
    I love love love this show. Raunchy, hilarious and NOT politically correct. The season ended way too early for me. Great cast and great writing.....hurry back!!!
  28. DMD
    Apr 4, 2009
    Eastbound and Down is the best comedy show since Seinfeld only equaled in laughs by another great HBO comedy, Curb your Enthusiasm. Danny McBride is hilarious. The laughs continue in my office as we discuss some of the great lines "Woo!", "Hey, that's my game" ,"You're F%*#ing out!" and "Set that sh#* up." I certainly am hoping for continued laughs and in the form of a second Eastbound and Down is the best comedy show since Seinfeld only equaled in laughs by another great HBO comedy, Curb your Enthusiasm. Danny McBride is hilarious. The laughs continue in my office as we discuss some of the great lines "Woo!", "Hey, that's my game" ,"You're F%*#ing out!" and "Set that sh#* up." I certainly am hoping for continued laughs and in the form of a second season. Maybe it is so funny because we have all known someone like Kenny Powers in our lives. Very very funny comedy. Expand
  29. TreverP.
    Jun 16, 2009
    I loved this series, I thought it was hilarious!
  30. DG
    Jul 11, 2009
    Outstanding!
  31. MikeB.
    Jul 18, 2009
    It's obvious that this show has gone over the heads of some of these worthless critics. Anybody that has a "job" reviewing shows for a newspaper, isn't capable of reviewing a show like this anyway. This show is funny!
  32. JamesC
    Aug 17, 2009
    Too Funny.
  33. meganm.
    Sep 1, 2009
    This is one of the funniest shows I've ever watched. I think it i absolutely brilliant.
  34. JackS
    Nov 3, 2009
    The show is brilliant with its use of low brow humor to deceptively send a message about how we love to hate narcissists, but secretly want to act out like them. I hope the second season doesn't disappoint
  35. MarkS
    Mar 11, 2009
    Hilarious, stupid comedy! Amazing how real it is with the whole attitude of Kenny Powers. Everybody knows somebody just like Kenny Powers, Amazing Superstar!
  36. KR
    Mar 15, 2009
    The past 10 years of tv has really gone down the tubes. The only thing I have enjoyed in recent years was Sopranos. MY tv viewing is now limited to sports and sports shows. I must say this show has finally got me looking foward to watching something each week for the first time since Sopranos ended. Great show for anyone thats not stuck up.
  37. RyanK
    Mar 16, 2009
    I've watched them all twice. Can't get enough of this show! I hope they order more episodes because 6 isn't enough.
  38. SebastianW
    Mar 17, 2009
    Awesome, hilarious show. Vulgar at times, but the bottom line is that it is aiming for laughs and this show gets them.
  39. marcusr
    Mar 26, 2009
    A combination of subtle humor and tasteless humor, mixed together at the perfect times. Best HBO comedy since Summer Heights High. Props to Will Ferrel BTW ..."I own a whole god d*amned lot full of BWM's!"
  40. AlexB
    Mar 31, 2009
    If you don't find this show funny, then I find it hard to believe you really "know" comedy. This isn't a perfect show, but it's pretty damn funny and, at times, genius.
  41. JohnA
    Apr 14, 2009
    Crude, lewd, and hysterical.
  42. twigmant.
    Jul 23, 2009
    This is the funniest show I've ever seen a series be made out of! I'm so glad they picked it up for a second season. Everyone that's ever seen an episode while over here loves it. I hope they keep it for a long time!
  43. Oct 4, 2010
    Yes it's incredibly offensive; you and everyone else knew that going in. That being said I'm enjoying season two much more that season one. The creative writing has definitely justified the existence of a second season.
  44. Feb 26, 2011
    The best crude sports fan humor put together in my time. Slapshot for hockey is a given, but now Danny McBride gives Charlie Sheen a run for his money!!! My favorite HBO comedy yet.
  45. JoshuaC
    Mar 3, 2009
    While I would have rated this a 10 had it not been for too much plot/character development in lieu of humor in the 3rd episode, the show is captivating simply for the impractical narcissism and accompanying bluntness from Kenny Powers. He's just clawing his way back to the top and no one, not even the people selflessly helping him, is safe from him once he comes out swinging. The While I would have rated this a 10 had it not been for too much plot/character development in lieu of humor in the 3rd episode, the show is captivating simply for the impractical narcissism and accompanying bluntness from Kenny Powers. He's just clawing his way back to the top and no one, not even the people selflessly helping him, is safe from him once he comes out swinging. The world is Kenny Powers'...we're all just living in it. Expand
  46. CoreyS
    Mar 6, 2009
    Well this may not be high brow thinking mans humor but its clever in its use of dialogue. If you enjoyed Superbad or Pineapple Express you will find this show absolutely hillarious. The first two episodes feel static but the developing plot adds a new level of intrigue to the gut busting comedy! See for yourself!
  47. EmeraldG
    Mar 8, 2009
    Hilarious! I am reminded of my home town when I watch this show. Some may find the character development absurd, yet I find myself reminded of particular people and situations each time I tune in. If you're from a small "redneck" town, Eastbound & Down will be entertaining at the least.
  48. ChrisU
    Feb 16, 2009
    Almost genius comedy from the 'Foot Fist Way' guys. The on-location shooting in North Carolina is really evocative of the culture.
  49. KyleC
    Mar 13, 2009
    This show is hilarious due to the fact it is dead on for a portion of ex-minor/big league players.
  50. GaryR
    Mar 15, 2009
    Eastbound and Down is one of the few shows on TV that will actually make me laugh out loud. In a time when reality TV makes me walk away from watching ANY TV at all this brings me back.
  51. JasonG
    Mar 17, 2009
    I admit, this type of humor isn't for everyone. If you enjoy Will Ferrell's childish cluelessly overconfident act, and enjoyed Danny McBride's film The Foot Fist Way, then there is plenty here for you to enjoy. If you find that sort of thing juvenile or played out, then you may want to look away. I for one, though I feel this brand of humor is a bit over done, still found I admit, this type of humor isn't for everyone. If you enjoy Will Ferrell's childish cluelessly overconfident act, and enjoyed Danny McBride's film The Foot Fist Way, then there is plenty here for you to enjoy. If you find that sort of thing juvenile or played out, then you may want to look away. I for one, though I feel this brand of humor is a bit over done, still found plenty to like. Collapse
  52. JeffQ
    Mar 27, 2009
    Those who give this show very low marks reveal their lack of perspective when they claim this deserves to be evaluated on the basis of laughs. The first few episodes, I too thought this a comedy. But the symphonic rise and fall, and rise and fall, and rise and fall again of Kenny Powers in the second half of the first season was powerful and a little scary. This may be the Moby Dick of Those who give this show very low marks reveal their lack of perspective when they claim this deserves to be evaluated on the basis of laughs. The first few episodes, I too thought this a comedy. But the symphonic rise and fall, and rise and fall, and rise and fall again of Kenny Powers in the second half of the first season was powerful and a little scary. This may be the Moby Dick of American sit coms, a prideful man going down with the whale. If you think it's just about obnoxious redneck humor, you betray more about your elite perspective than anything about the show. What's amazing to me is that Kenny becomes a sympathetic character, but for reasons we have rarely if ever seen in a television program. He is not likable. He doesn't do anything to earn our respect or empathy. He remains a douchebag. It's all he knows. And yet, he is in pain. The producers suck us in my revealing the tiniest glimpses of his vulnerability and just here and there, almost by accident, showing us he can be a human. The last two episodes were almost unbearable. Yes, it is funny, and the acting is superb. But this show is far from a joke. It's the kind of wounded animal pain I think I have sensed in Will Farrel comedies before but only rarely comes out because he's not as sharp an actor perhaps as McBride is. Eastbound and Down takes it all the way. I was slow to come around, but I hope those who think this is a funny redneck jokes aren't the ones making the call on whether it gets picked up. I think Kenny's struggle could become the most literary thing on TV if it has a chance to come together. Expand
  53. ChristyF.
    May 28, 2009
    Best show I've seen in a long time. Great humour, style & editing.
  54. DavidR
    Mar 31, 2009
    What separates this show is that the characters are well thought out and have some depth. That, and the situations are hilarious. My favorite is the ecstasy scene at the high school dance in episode 2. Is it just me or is this loosely based on John Rocker's career?
  55. jedj.
    Sep 26, 2009
    Nobody seems to be getting that Kenny Powers is simply a metaphor, a stand-in for Middle America - i.e. a guy who operates on an autopilot of delusional bluster, boasting emptily about accomplishments that no longer deserve the respect they once did and that are, in the end, dubious to begin with.
  56. Dec 12, 2013
    When it comes to loveable-horrible characters, it's hard to beat Kenny Powers, but one of the greatest things about the show is that the creators don't rest on funny characterization to carry the show. Every season reinvents the show. And every episode breaks new and hilarious story ground.
  57. Mar 24, 2014
    Hillarious, Very well written and suprisingly at times heart felt, Eastbound and down is a rare example of a comedy show that gets better, more rude and more entertaining
  58. UrsulaE
    Feb 19, 2009
    Started a bit slow, but made me and the boyfriend laugh out loud several times. Nice work.
  59. WillC
    Feb 15, 2009
    Watched it on opening night and found it to be quite funny. Sure some parts were a bit junior high but overall it was an extremely funny show.
  60. MitchM
    Feb 18, 2009
    This Powers, a composite of human weaknesses in the spirit of W. C. Fields, puts on an alarmingly foul-mouthed (for a middle school teacher) display of hubris, ego, vanity ... which had me in stitches. (and I didn't laugh once at Pineapple Express) My only fear is that, in the course of this season, he'll be humanized and rehabilitated - kind of like when John Cleese went into This Powers, a composite of human weaknesses in the spirit of W. C. Fields, puts on an alarmingly foul-mouthed (for a middle school teacher) display of hubris, ego, vanity ... which had me in stitches. (and I didn't laugh once at Pineapple Express) My only fear is that, in the course of this season, he'll be humanized and rehabilitated - kind of like when John Cleese went into heavy psychotherapy after FAWLTY TOWERS to alleviate his anger ... and lost his ability to be funny in the process. Expand
  61. Oct 3, 2011
    Maybe it doesn't work out so well between the pilot and episode 4, but's still goddamn funny. I can't imagine another Tv show on that's as profanely hilarious as this.
  62. Nov 3, 2010
    At first I thought this was total cr*p, but I for some reason kept watching. I don't know why but the show grew on me and I came to appreciate it for what it tries to do and it does it well.
  63. Jul 11, 2014
    Great Show, great Season start. Danny McBride again in his Parade role
  64. AlexO
    Mar 17, 2009
    Personally I expected much more from this show. I find Danny Mcbride to be very entertaining and I am dissapointed that his character is only able to produce such a narrow comic appeal. In Pineapple, his character (Red) covered a larger area of the comedic spectrum. This show is funny, however I compare it to a less developed more crude version of the Office. Humor that really has only Personally I expected much more from this show. I find Danny Mcbride to be very entertaining and I am dissapointed that his character is only able to produce such a narrow comic appeal. In Pineapple, his character (Red) covered a larger area of the comedic spectrum. This show is funny, however I compare it to a less developed more crude version of the Office. Humor that really has only one appeal. I found myself torn by the all too familiar feeling of alwardness that I frequently receive from watching Michael Scott (Steve Carell) embarrass himself by litterally exposing his disconnection with reality through some ridiculous one liners that leave you untterly speachless and turning your head away from the tv. Not to say this show doesn't have it's appeal, but if the humor was more ubiquitous like the humor in Pineapple Express or watching someone slip on some ice then Eastbound and Down might be able to turn some more heads. I would also highly recommend this show to anyone who chews tobbacco while simutaneously watching Larry the Cable guy and wishing that there was some nudity. Expand
  65. Apr 26, 2012
    Funny, completely inappropriate, and insane, it's for a specific audience, the kind who doesn't mind vulgar humor, I personally found it funny but I can see other being turned of by the sheer obnoxiousness of it, still if your looking for something vulgarly funny this is for you, all in all a good show and I'm looking forward to watching the other two seasons.
  66. Sep 18, 2012
    Funny if you like obscenities. Funny if you like obscenities. Funny if you like obscenities. Funny if you like obscenities. Funny if you like obscenities.
  67. CoreyH
    Sep 2, 2009
    A pretty funny show in my books but 6 episodes in the first season? That's not worth the price tag they put on it.
  68. JonathanG
    Feb 20, 2009
    Crude, cruel & crappy.
  69. KenD
    Feb 15, 2009
    Dude, this show is off-its-Rocker. Obscenity pinch hits for imagination and strikes out for those who love baseball and HBO experimentation.
  70. RobertT
    Feb 17, 2009
    28 minutes and 50 seconds that I will NEVER get back. Embarrassing to watch. Directly squarely and between the eyes at pre-pubescent boys. Image how John Hawkes feels coming from such a quality show as Deadwood and now having to play the older brother in this. Sad!
  71. MichaelM
    Mar 29, 2009
    I don't understand how this gets good reviews. My roomate was watching it when I got home and can't understand what is entertaining. I watched the whole episode and was glad when it was over. It is just some annoying guy swearing and doing lame things. Every scene is drawn out, there are no memorable characters. The script could of been written by a mentally retarded 10 year old I don't understand how this gets good reviews. My roomate was watching it when I got home and can't understand what is entertaining. I watched the whole episode and was glad when it was over. It is just some annoying guy swearing and doing lame things. Every scene is drawn out, there are no memorable characters. The script could of been written by a mentally retarded 10 year old who laughs at the word poop. If you have 3 brain cells you're too smart for this show. Expand

Powers, the central character in the strangely compelling new HBO series Eastbound & Down is a down-on-his-luck pitcher whose glory days in the Major League are well behind him.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    What lifts Eastbound & Down away from mere crudball humor is McBride's ongoing love affair with the lower middle class.
    If you thought "Tropic Thunder" was the funniest movie of the year and that everything Will Ferrell touches makes you laugh until you squirt Diet Pepsi out of your nose, then you will love Eastbound & Down.