• Network: CBS
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 27, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.4

1. Oct 10, 2013
    Did you love Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and BBC's Sherlock drama? Do you think because they were so good, that CBS's own take on Sherlock Holmes just couldn't compete? Well, you're wrong. It can, and it does. Elementary is e.v.e.r.y bit as brilliant as Sherlock. In fact, the two shows are extremely similar. After all, they both involve the same character, whom at this point has been made to be pretty unique. When you have a character like Sherlock Holmes, you need the writing to make him seem as brilliant as he is, and Elementary has that writing. I WILL say, that the character of Watson, as portrayed by the lovely Lucy Liu, is not as deep of a character as Martin Freeman's Watson. However, because Elementary has so many more episode than BBC's Sherlock, and the writing really is just as brilliant, I have grown to love Lucy's Watson, and Johnny's Sherlock even more than Freeman and Cumberbatch. It's important to understand that simply because there are more episodes, we get more character development, more brilliant deductions and crazy stories, and more Sherlock! I highly recommend this show to fans of Sherlock, mystery, and brilliant writing. If you enjoy this show, you will also enjoy the new series, "The Blacklist" which is also very intelligent. Expand
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    This is an interesting new way of looking at Sherlock Holmes. Taking place in New York, in the present, with Watson as a super hot woman. The mysteries are expertly conceived. The recent introduction of Moriarty's involvement in the series (episode 12), AMAZING!
  3. Oct 2, 2012
    I enjoyed the new House. I doubt it will be as good, but it was better than most attempts at something new. It sort of reminds me of that Police show set in NYC where the detective was an immortal. I can't remember the name. The real question is, how soon will it get old. I'll tell you one thing, anytime you can replace an old crusty Dr. Watson with a smoking hot Lucy Liu, you should.
  4. Jan 12, 2013
    This series is fantastic. Screw BBC-s Sherlock Holmes. Elementary is an awesome series i give it 10 points! It is funny, interesting and i can only recommend it to all those Sherlock Holmes lovers out there. Awesome CBS keep it going! :D
  5. Oct 21, 2012
    If you expect something like BBC's "Sherlock" you'll probably won't like it. In my opinion Jonny Lee Miller can't keep up with the Sherlock that Benedict Cumberbatch delivered.
    But still this show is different and has a fresh new approach to Sherlock Holmes. I find it to be entertaining, the acting is alright and the stories have been fun too (four episodes so far).
  6. Feb 16, 2013
    When BF made me watch it I was skeptical. Another procedural? Cute Asian chick as Watson? I read Sherlock as a kid and that casting is just weird. Then again Homeland and Dexter and Breaking Bad are still in the works. Nothing much to watch so I sat through two episodes... At first Lucy Liu just felt too flat and subtle in contrast to Jonny Lee Miller's OTT mad theatrical style. As the fast pace story progressed...I GOT HOOKED. There's a point to their high contrast delivery! Well-written plots, well directed pacing, quick yet allow for character's personalities to shine through. No boring get-this-over-and-done-with-quick moments, not overly procedural-ish...no cheesy weirdness, only surprises after surprises. Well done Elementary team! Can't wait for next series.... Quiicccckkk! Expand
  7. rcj
    Feb 1, 2013
    Johnny Lee Miller is AMAZING Lucy Lu is always perfect and the show is intelligent, well-written,. directed and cast. I'd rather eat dirt than miss an episode.
  8. Sep 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is so dramatic and very funny sometimes with its quotes. Also, it's funny because of Sherlock! He is always so nervous! He has his own room always upside down! Such a lunatic person!

All the episodes had a very complicated and encoded connection in one way or another, which makes it more mysterious and adventurous! My best episode: 110 The Leviathan!

The filming set is very good. Each viewing angle has been filmed perfectly.

Cant wait for season's 2 episodes
  9. Nov 22, 2013
    This incarnation of Holmes may not be as flashy as some more recent takes on the character, but Miller brings so much energy and uniqueness to the role and it's so enjoyable just to tune in and watch him every week. Lucy Liu's Watson is no hapless sidekick and does a great job as both a foil to the more quirky Miller while being a great character in her own right.
  10. Jan 6, 2014
    Nothing like the tired old attempts at re hashing the same old style thank god. Its about time a new perspective was put on the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle character and this is it. Sherlock has arrived in the present day. Jonny Lee Miller I.M.L.T.H.O has relegated all those before him to pretenders to the throne the same can be said of Lucy Liu`s Watson. No doubt there`s loads of sticks stuck in the mud denigrating it with banal statements like "its Americanised" but who cares. Its better and is a refreshing slant on something that has been getting tired. Excellent Expand
  11. Mar 16, 2013
    I'm failing to see how a comparison between Elementary and Sherlock, which I love as well, could yield a resulting score of 0.0 for this show. What is wrong with people? Is there only place for a single show of every topic, and every other must automatically be entirely useless?

Yes Elementary is not as lofty and stylish as Sherlock. But it is more down to earth, and the characters are
    more relatable. Which, in my book, is worth something. Plus I really find Miller's take on Sherlock Holmes refreshing. And someone was mentioning there not being any chemistry between the characters... have you even watched the show more than 5 minutes? I think there is more than enough space for two Sherlock Holmes shows on TV, and both of the work fine and are highly entertaining. At least I think so. Expand
  12. Sep 28, 2012
    In spite of the dubiousness of the proposal of another modernization of the legendary Mr.Holmes, it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. With it's suitably holmsian narrative and handsomely shot scenes, the New-york version gives some promising performances despite trying to avoid similarities with its contemporary British version. Should be an interesting watch to observe the character arc of the new Mr.Holmes and Ms.Watson. Expand
  13. Oct 25, 2012
    Great show! Love the banter between Holmes and Watson. Much lighter than CSI, more like the detective shows of the 80's, which I loved. I really enjoy Miller's version of Sherlock. Great job CBS!
  14. Jan 29, 2013
    I watched the BBC's Sherlock before watching this. Sherlock is boring, but this is exciting. Jonny Miller's acting is fantastic, Lucy Lui not that much. There were a few boring episodes, but overall the best new series
  15. Jun 12, 2013
    I love this show. Holmes' deductive reasoning is a great take on the run on the crime of the mill crime show. The show moves at a great pace and both the male and female leads are easy to look at.

The only reason I don't give it a ten is because it changes it's formula later on in the season and I didn't really like that. Watch the show, just do it.
  16. Dec 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock Holmes has finally come to America! As an avid fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works, as well as television-show crazy, I have to admit that I didn't expect much from this Sherlock redo. However, after the first season, I was blown away by the ingeniously produced show, Elementary.
    The first thing that caught my attention was how similar the plot was to the real books that Doyle wrote. When explained, Sherlock's actions were all simple even though they did not appear so at first, giving me the same feeling that I got when reading the books. Also, the TV Show did not have the distracting sideline romance between Sherlock and Watson (who was in this case, a woman. Well casted!) that often gets in the way of a TV show. Also, in the first season, the last few episodes built on a mysterious figure from Sherlock's past, Jamie Moriarty/Irene Adler, both adaptations from book characters. The finale revealed almost everything, withholding some information to build suspense for the next season. Romance sort of got in the way in Season two, as Watson and Mycroft (Sherlock's brother) got too involved with each other, and the mysteries have been somewhat more obvious.
    Lucy Liu and Jonny Lee Miller perfectly personify their characters. Chosen to represent Watson, Liu has the professionalism of the surgeon she used to be, as well as a captivating yet strict personality that often gets Sherlock frustrated by her limits. Jonny Lee Miller incorporates the old all-assuming air of the old Sherlock Holmes while adding his own sort of modern spin and humor into his character. The series has covered nearly all of the characters mentioned in the Adventures, Memoirs, and Return of Sherlock Holmes, something that not all TV shows have been able to do (*cough* *cough* Sherlock cough*) I also really liked how the casters changed many female actors to have male roles.
    Unlike the "cheesiness" of some blood and effects in other shows, Sherlock had exemplary special effects and closely resembled authentic NYPD protocol. The music seemed to come in at right times, with the right themes, and never obscured the meaning of any of the words. However, Miller's British accent spoken softly (which he did rather often) interfered with my comprehension so I had to watch the show with captions more than once.
    All in all, Elementary is the best adaptation of Sherlock Holmes that I have ever watched, and I look forward to the remainder of the season and (hopefully!) more seasons to come. If you're on the border between watching Sherlock and Elementary, I strongly recommend Elementary. It won't disappoint! Check it out if you haven't watched it, and hopefully you will become a die hard fan like many of us
  17. Jan 24, 2014
    Jonny Lee Miller's rendition of Sherlock Holmes is simply the best portrayal of Sherlock Holmes in modern media yet. That, combined with the interesting dynamics between Watson and Holmes, the witty writing and interesting cases, make this one a winner.

1. Reviewed by: Nancy DeWolf Smith
    Oct 5, 2012
    There's enough room left in the genre for another modern pairing, and Mr. Miller and Ms. Liu bring something memorably new to each character.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Oct 4, 2012
    [A] highly satisfying update. [8 Oct 2012, p.57]
    This is a slight but watchable show, yet more brain candy from CBS's vending machine.