1. RandyM
    Sep 30, 2006
    Elizabeth I is an awe-inspiring, terrifying, work of brilliant art. Definitely one of the best shows you'll see on television this year. The acting is absolutely astounding (kudos to Helen Mirren) and the show keeps you mesmerized until the very end. Amazing.
  2. kelseyw
    Apr 1, 2007
    Take away the costumes, set and cinematography, and you have an overacted and overwrought movie of the week. The writing is actually embarrassingly bad at times, and it's obvious that Hooper couldn't control his actors' performances. A dressed-up sappy love story, masquerading as History - with a capital H.
  3. Anna
    Apr 23, 2006
    Superbly well acted and designed, Elizabeth I is entertaining, amusing, and a sight for sore eyes. Best costuming I've seen in years and a compelling story to boot.
  4. DeedeC
    Apr 24, 2006
    Helen Mirren is an INCREDIBLY BELIEVABLE actor. She is SO interesting to watch and she MAKES this movie. I've just ordered a book about Eliz. the First, having been inspired by watching this show.
  5. KathrynH
    Apr 25, 2006
    Mirren is fab, but the writing is not up to HBO standards, and the music is bizarre, alternately incongruous and sappy. A bit disappointing that the focus was on Liz I, hottie, as opposed to Elizabeth Regina, world ruler.
  6. slobodan
    Apr 25, 2006
    absolutely excellent, mirren is fantastic
  7. KenG
    Apr 25, 2006
    I was not a big fan of Cate Blanchett's "Elizabeth" movie a few years back, but this version hits a home run.
  8. PeterP
    Apr 26, 2006
    At last a reasonably factual and non-Hollywood version of this great story. A magnificent production and definitely worthy of several Golden Globe Awards.
  9. GeorgeA
    Apr 23, 2006
    Mirren and Irons are incredible! Not since the Burton and Taylor era have I seeen such cinematic chemistry!
  10. chrisz
    Apr 26, 2006
  11. K8rpot8rFaith
    Jul 23, 2006
    I thought this movie imptomized what Elizabeth the I was all about....Oh and about the Music aspect...I am going to school for music and the music was exactly what you would have heard back then! I just wish I could have been a fly on the wall for this movie in the making!!

1. Entertainment Weekly
    Reviewed by: Alynda Wheat
    Mirren's Elzabeth is emotional... But with that comes soemthing as rare on TV as it is rewarding--a love affair involving people over the age of 50. [21 Apr 2006, p.67]
    Mirren... hits a dazzling career high.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Somewhat plodding through its opening hour, "Elizabeth I" gains steam and then soars through its concluding installment.