• Network: Showtime
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 9, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
7.3

1. Feb 21, 2011
    Classic fish-out-of-water setup -- smartass Brits stuck in a Hollywood where they find the values of the natives fascinating and appalling. What they don't quite realize is how much they're being corrupted as they make cracks about the corruption. What keeps it from being off-putting is the touching portrait of a marriage of genuine friends. (Ironic since it is an alum of FRIENDS who most threatens it.) One of the best comedy shows to be produced for Showtime. Collapse
  2. Feb 24, 2011
    This is a clever little show that brings on refreshingly honest approach to the state of network television from the last 10 years. What I like about this show the most is how they mix ed dry British humor with the more eccentric comedy Americans are used to.
  3. Feb 3, 2011
    I'm not a "Friends" fan, but I like "Episodes" quite well. It's nothing new to skewer the insincerity, celebrity-worship, and cynical pandering of Hollywood; nor is it new for an aging TV star to lampoon the image that made him famous. What is new is the dual perspectives of the transplants from London, one fiercely contemptuous of Hollywood, the other trying for contempt but more than half in love with everything about it. Being both English and writers, the newcomers are wildly articulate and very funny; fortunately, the show's writers are equal to the task, giving them scripts that are smart but not effete. Matt LeBlanc is fine, though the character's intelligence seems oddly variable--and not just depending on how much he's had to drink. One moment he's nattering on in Thai (one of the hardest languages for an English-speaker to master), the next, he's screwing up the punchline to a simple joke. I've only seen four episodes, so I can't tell whether the variation is a sly joke from the writers, tipping us that LeBlanc the actor makes the same kinds of vanity-based demands that LeBlanc the character makes or whether it's just carelessness. We'll see, I guess. A promising start! Expand
  4. Jan 14, 2011
    As someone who watched the show (unlike these below), it was a well done very smartly written show that hit home as far as our (lack of) love for British humor. I am looking forward to more (and when Matt meets the writers. I read a previous review that stated it starts a little slow so I suppose the user reviews below reflected those who have an attention span of a goldfish. I recall another brilliant friends alumni show The Comeback which also was low rated so I suppose I'll be one of the few, but I do those who like smart TV will come aboard. Expand
  5. Jan 25, 2011
    Funny, smart, and fantastically acted! The characters are goofy stereotypes but the actors play them so genuinely that you can't help but like and believe in them. Kathleen Rose Perkins sparkles as the ever upbeat (on the outside) Carol. And if you're staying away because you think you don't like Matt LeBlanc, think again. You're in for a pleasant surprise.
  6. May 4, 2011
    The show is just extremely charming, ith two British characters that an audience can get behind and lets just face it, its great to see Matt Le Blanc back and playing a more blue joey in many ways.
  7. Jan 10, 2011
    I have to admit. I only saw half of this show. I turned it off midway. I don't know where to start. The show tries really hard. Too hard. The writing is terrible. The acting seems over eager and the jokes just aren't funny. Maybe I should go back and watch again. Maybe the last 15 minutes are pivotal.
  8. Jan 23, 2011
    Entertaining half hour. Pleasantly surprised by the writing. In fact I had intended to avoid watching because all anyone talked about was Matt Leblanc's involvement. Luckily Leblanc isn't the central character, but instead similar to Tracy Morgans role on 30 Rock, present but diffuse. Love the Wife's character. She's that reality anchored person who insists that people not lie unnecessarily...in Hollywood. Good luck there. Expand
  9. Jul 16, 2012
    Absolutely delightful! I have never watched a single episode of 'Friends' ( not my kind of comedy) so I didn't know anything about Matt LeBlanc. He is outstanding in the role of the boorish American actor with the boyish charm, as are the two unassuming Brits who end up being simultaneously appalled and impressed.
  10. Jan 11, 2011
    I couldn't watch more then 10 minutes... its AWFUL And i feel really sorry for Matt, cuz he is awesome in Friends... but Episodes.... everything is just plain dumb and not in the good way.

I wasn't able to draw a single smile... #Comedy Epic Fail !
  11. Feb 10, 2011
    I do enjoy tuning in every Monday to watch Episodes but I don't think its hilariously funny but it is a fun watch, I fell asleep watching Episode Five as some episodes can be rather boring. But its interesting none the less and really shows you the effort put into making shows albeit in a comedic and dramatised way.

The airing of the show is also perfect during a time where American
    networks have gone super crazy with their remakes of English show like Shameless, Skins and Being Human. Expand
  12. Feb 18, 2011
    The first 10 minutes are awful, hell even the pilot is bad, but if you bear through it, then I have a feeling you will have a new favorite sitcom. The cast is wonderful, and Matt manages to be Joey without really being Joey and that is a huge plus for me. The season-long question of one of the supporting cast member's age is something everyone should pay attention to, because it delivers some solid jokes and humor. Expand
  13. Apr 3, 2011
    On the pilot episode I thought it was just ok. Didn't really believed I would look at the second episodes but the second one just blew me off! Really, if you liked Joey in Friend you will love what he've done in "Episodes". Why not 9 or 10? Friends is my 10! :P Have fun watching it!
  14. Sep 8, 2011
    It takes a while for this show to really find it's feet, some of the jokes don't land so well. But, as it progresses, it gets better and better, and I'm ready for the second season, hopefully now that the show has found its rhythm.
  15. Nov 20, 2012
    It doesn't jump out as the best comedy of the year but by the fifth episode you think to yourself. wow. It really is good enough to keep watching. It's a TV show about the relationships, and behind the scenes workings of a studio. The writing is sharp and although the actors aren't the most talented to ever grace a screen they become less irritating as time passes. It's worth checking out just to see how fake hollywood really is and who knows you might end up enjoying it. Expand
  16. Jun 20, 2012
    after a long pause matt le balnc came up with the new show, new character very funny and hilarious and i just one to say it's worth watching and i can not stop laughing "good one "
  17. Nov 20, 2012
    Good show, but very slow in the beginning. When Matt Leblanc gets more screen time later in the season, it gets hilarious. I also hope they have a friends reunion on the show.
  18. Feb 21, 2011
    I can not believe that this show is getting a better rating than Shameless. I am a loyal shotime original series fan, and this is the only show that they have put out that I absolutely do not like. It isn't that the acting is bad, or the character are unbelievable or anything like that. It is just that the storyline is very slow, and uses dated jokes. I could see how this would be a bigger hit on another station, but from the station that brought Weeds, Dexter, Shameless, Nurse Jackie, Californication etc, I had higher expectations. Expand
  19. Mar 4, 2011
    This one is a completely overrated dog. Hung around for the first three episodes, just waiting for something funny to happen. It never did. Instead, every moment seemed utterly predictable. The good news is (for me, anyway) that Tamsin Greig is a likable actress, and I look forward to seeing her in other things.
  20. May 8, 2011
    This show is boring and so are the main characters. I only watch because of Mircea Monroe. The pilot is awful, I didn't laugh a single time. The season keeps getting better but the finale is still bad.
  21. Apr 27, 2011
    Because of my love for Friends I gave Episodes a shot (watched 5 of the 7 episodes so far) but honestly the series is highly disappointing. Any connection to Friends (where both one of the creators and obviously LeBlanc are from) is coincidental at best. The series is not funny, some of the actors don't fit their characters' outline and there are far too much swearing and vulgarity for my personal taste. Expand
  22. May 25, 2013
    For me the best British comedies of the last decade are 'The Office' and 'Peep Show' and this, despite using the same sort of awkward humour is simply not as funny. Knowing that comedies can often take a number of episodes to get going I decided to stick with the show after a slow start and did begin to enjoy 'Episodes'.

Episodes is certainly not a show for the kids with very strong
    language and (tame) sexual scenes throughout but the three leads, Matt Le Blanc, Tasmin Greig and Stephen Mangan are all talented comedic actors and certainly have good on screen chemistry. Many of the supporting cast though can often just come across, for me at least, as annoying rather than funny.

Hopefully the second series of 'Episodes' can continue on from the better episodes towards the end of this first season and I for one will be giving it a second chance.
  23. Nov 6, 2013
    One remarkable thing about this program is its ability to portray a strong marriage, albeit one with crack. Surprisingly, really, just how emotional things get between the two Brits.
  24. Dec 26, 2013
    After two episodes, this show seems to be about filling whole half-hour slots with awkwardness, frustration and callous indifference. Supposedly it's a comedy, but I don't know when that's supposed to kick in... not so much as a smirk yet. Unless your idea of comedy is watching people get frustrated by being brushed off by bigger systems than them as everything that can possibly go wrong does, I'd recommend you avoid it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Feb 3, 2011
    LeBlanc is brilliant; the writing and direction are brilliant; the show is brilliant.
    Episodes is great--the sharpest sitcom debut this year. Among other excellent qualities, it's actively funny, with none of the dramedy lumpiness that spoils other half-hour offerings (bad camp, faux-energy badinage, heavy-handed sentimentality).
  3. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Jan 11, 2011
    It's a light, clever performance. But Episodes never convinces us this is really Hollywood. [17 Jan 2011, p.40]