Eureka : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.8

1. ReidC.
    Oct 5, 2008
    Don't listen to the critcs. This show has become one of my favorite shows of all time. There is just something about it that keeps me drawn into it. And its a major plus that the main character is very likable and draws a contrast between the town and himself.
  2. MarkS
    Jul 23, 2006
    A pretty weak start. I'm personally only giving it one more episode to try to turn things around. A real shame since I've been looking forward to this for a while. One of the biggest problems is that it seems to have been written by someone who has never had any interactions with actual scientists or engineers and is just relying on lame cliches and mind-numblingly bad guesses A pretty weak start. I'm personally only giving it one more episode to try to turn things around. A real shame since I've been looking forward to this for a while. One of the biggest problems is that it seems to have been written by someone who has never had any interactions with actual scientists or engineers and is just relying on lame cliches and mind-numblingly bad guesses (Popular Science?!? Who possibly reads that?). That combines with bad, inaccruate, Star Trek-style technobabble explained away with a simple metaphor really hurts the show. Expand
  3. PatrickB.
    Sep 20, 2007
    This show started out with an interesting concept. Sadly, the show quickly ran out of fresh ideas and turned into a formulaic, intelligence smothering, insulting show. With the thin guise of a continuing story line wrapped around an enigmatic power source, the writers pump out classic bait and switch story techniques that are so obvious it hurts to watch. I have seen every episode. And I This show started out with an interesting concept. Sadly, the show quickly ran out of fresh ideas and turned into a formulaic, intelligence smothering, insulting show. With the thin guise of a continuing story line wrapped around an enigmatic power source, the writers pump out classic bait and switch story techniques that are so obvious it hurts to watch. I have seen every episode. And I have done so because I am hopeful that it will improve. With each episode though, it gets worse. The stereotypes get stronger and the shallowness and laziness of the production team gets worse. There are a few good lines that make me chuckle or acknowledge that a thinking person is behind the show, but it has become painful to sit through the rest of the garbage for those few, brief insightful moments. After this past episode (9/18) I have given up and removed it from my record list. This show is obviously intended for the 12-14 year old pubescent males sub-set, and I will leave the show for them to enjoy. I have better uses of my time. Expand
  4. GaryW
    Jul 25, 2006
    Boring! Unimaginative story. Bad dialog. Bad science. Watched the pilot and will give the coming episodes a pass.
  5. ShawnC
    Oct 5, 2006
    Love it! I can't wait until the next season. After dumping Farscape, SciFi has redeemed itself by giving me Eureka.
  6. NikG.
    Mar 5, 2008
    A very welcome change in a world of depressive shows.
  7. JakeH.
    Sep 9, 2008
    Creative, amazing, funny, great ideas.
  8. JeffK
    Oct 10, 2006
    The first season is over, and I
  9. Kim
    Oct 1, 2006
    I love this show for its originality, for its wit, and for its highbrow humor. The one-liners are just to die for - I look forward to them every week! Great writing as well as excellent exposure to real scientific concepts are why I tune in. Phenomenal show!
  10. dcasey
    Oct 16, 2006
    I want to visit this town! funny show without resorting to the level found in many cliche-infested televisions show trying to pass themselves off as funny.
  11. JustinR
    Oct 20, 2006
    2nd best show on Sci-Fi! Stargate Atlantis is my number 1 :D
  12. LorraineW
    Oct 5, 2006
    Lots of wit and quirky characters. Even when the science falls short, remains a smart show.
  13. YvonneH
    Oct 6, 2006
    I love this show. Enjoyable episode per episode but best once you get to know the quirky, yet well developed characters. I hope this show stays for a while.
  14. SarahB
    Oct 8, 2006
    Liking the story line so far, very interesting, like nothing ive seen yet.
  15. BarbaraB
    Jul 20, 2006
    Amusing, a little confusing at times, but there are enough literate allusions to keep the riffraff from taking over the fan clubs.
  16. PascalB
    Aug 3, 2006
    What a great balance between sci-fi and comedy. I won't miss an episode of that show.
  17. JolardJ
    Aug 7, 2006
    This is one of those shows that has huge potential (great theme, interesting idea, very original) however the execution is very mediocre. I wanted to like it so much, but after three episodes, I am done. Needs to take itself a little more seriously, and avoid the annoying cliches.
  18. JeremyW
    Aug 9, 2006
    I agree with another reviewer that this is not on par with Battlestart Galactica, but it is a ton of fun! Kind of like MIB, but not so over the top.
  19. GyasiW
    Sep 19, 2006
    I like "Eureka". I like seeing all the interesting new gadgets and things the scientists make. Also, the sheriff always has witty things to say about everything--but in a good way.
  20. Robin
    Sep 4, 2006
    Simple - Cool
  21. Del
    Oct 6, 2006
    LOVE this show. Hard to find a scifi show with a fun twist.
  22. BillieW
    Oct 6, 2006
    I love this show. My Wife loves this show. She got me started on this sci-fi stuff with SG-1. Eureka is funny, laid back and for an hour per week of my life I can get lost in it and not worry about anything but when the next episode will appear. Did I say, "I love this show," already?
  23. KohakuT
    Jul 19, 2006
    Started off slow, but I was hooked by the end. Hopefully this show will be consistantly good from now on.
  24. ColeT
    Jul 23, 2006
    Maybe not on the same Sci-Fi scale as the Stargates and Battlestar Galactica but it still is very humerous and fun to watch.
  25. JesseB
    Jul 26, 2006
    Great show! There isn't anything else like this on television.
  26. TanyaB
    Jul 29, 2006
    Eureka is a lot of fun to watch and I like to see all the things they invent.
  27. tn
    Aug 10, 2006
    Love this show! Its about time someone made an intellegent and entertaining televisions show. Look forward to each Tues. night. Keep up the good work!! A perfect 10.
  28. LoiaB
    Aug 16, 2006
    This show has me watching SciFi channel for the very first time ever! Eureka has earned a TiVo season pass in our family. Hooray for some great summer TV entertainment.
  29. PaulC
    Aug 17, 2006
    Interesting show. Being in astrophysics myself there are plenty of eye rolling moments. You need to watch it and make up your own mind.
  30. D.
    Aug 18, 2006
    Love it. One of the best "light" scifi shows in a long time.
  31. KarenS
    Aug 2, 2006
    Great Characters will keep me coming back for more.
  32. CliffordW
    Aug 22, 2006
    Great show, wish it was on 2 hours instead of 1. Hope it stay around for along time. Keeps your attention and wanting more.
  33. RyanK
    Aug 25, 2006
    Excellent show. One of the few shows I make sure to watch every week.
  34. LindaC
    Aug 31, 2006
    This is undoubtedly the best show my husband and I have seen in quite a while. TIVO has it programmed for sure. We wouldn't miss an episode for anything.
  35. kathies
    Sep 15, 2006
    Great concept, can't wait to see what is in Section 5!
  36. RobC
    Sep 20, 2006
    Smart and light like a gin fizz with characters I actually like! My only gripe is that Matt Frewer is being caricatured - he's got so much more to add.
  37. TerryM
    Sep 2, 2006
    The show our family will watch first.
  38. billr
    Sep 2, 2006
    Quirky characters are generally played for fun and the stories don't dwell interminably on how smart they are.
  39. PenH
    Sep 22, 2006
    Want to see more!!!!!!!
  40. bibi
    Sep 28, 2006
    I can't get enough!!!!
  41. AuroraB
    Jan 10, 2007
    This show is about as run-of-the-mill as your average foreign planet sighting. It keeps you wondering what wacky thing will happen next.
  42. CaroleM
    Apr 27, 2007
    Sci fi adventure without violence and sex! Love the wit, reminds me of being in Britain. Just plain fun and not for those critics looking for T & A!
  43. Linker
    Sep 25, 2007
    Fun, interesting, and quirky. One of my favorite shows on TV right now. One of Sci Fi channels only successes. More like this, SciFi Channel!
  44. RyanW.
    Oct 2, 2008
    What really drives this show is the wonderful characters they have put in it. They each have strengths and weaknesses and they play off each other really well. There are tons of really witty comments from almost every character and it never gets old, especially Jack Carter, the Sheriff. He has so many awesome jokes or comments that it always keeps me laughing. Some people think the What really drives this show is the wonderful characters they have put in it. They each have strengths and weaknesses and they play off each other really well. There are tons of really witty comments from almost every character and it never gets old, especially Jack Carter, the Sheriff. He has so many awesome jokes or comments that it always keeps me laughing. Some people think the science is too far fetched or the plots are too thing but those people are missing the point entirely. It's about the fun adventures in each episode as well as the drama that can run through 1 episode or an entire season. I hope this show is around for a long time as it's the most refreshing thing i've seen on television in a long time. It's just a really really fun show. Expand
  45. DanielG
    Jul 1, 2008
    Great characters, best show i've ever seen out of all. Waiting for the next season, cant wait. Keep it coming. ill watch it to the end.
  46. Sracey-AnnS
    Nov 29, 2006
    U just can't get enough of both the show and the characters. Great concept and execution.
  47. BrandonS
    Jul 19, 2006
    This show has potential. The premiere was bloated at 2 hours, so I'm curious to see what happens when it settles into the 1 hour format. It's a little too conventional as a sci-fi original (government cover-ups, military dum-dums not understanding that nerds and genius are where-it's-at), and in truth I'd like it to take even more of a cue from Northern Exposure: Allow This show has potential. The premiere was bloated at 2 hours, so I'm curious to see what happens when it settles into the 1 hour format. It's a little too conventional as a sci-fi original (government cover-ups, military dum-dums not understanding that nerds and genius are where-it's-at), and in truth I'd like it to take even more of a cue from Northern Exposure: Allow the show to be episodic, without some uberplot running through the whole series. Tell individual stories that follow up on the rather clever premise. There are many fine actors in the cast (even if the lead is almost exactly like the guy from Keen Eddie and Boston Legal), so I hope this show can grow. (Just for the record, Kansas City Star, this show is certainly not the best sci-fi on tv - the best science fiction around right now is still without a doubt Battlestar Galactica.) Expand
  48. JaniceR
    Jul 23, 2006
    Good actors, original script. What's not to like?
  49. D.Robinson
    Aug 18, 2006
    This is one of two shows I hate to miss. The characters are right on and the humor is great. I especially like to see Jack and Allison interact. They play off of each other very well.
  50. damienc
    Sep 12, 2006
    a great show! so much fun, great humor and relevant science.
  51. andrew-london-uka
    Sep 15, 2006
    great midweek light entertainment, love the characters esp the mechanic ....cant wait for series 2 perhaps theyll get a bigger better budget to play with more episdes please NBC
  52. BrianB
    Sep 16, 2006
    Finally SciFi get's a new original show that works. Battlestar Galactica is also very good, but as all know it's a refresh of the old show but done a lot better in every aspect. Stargate was a trasplant and good but getting old. This in new, fresh and original. Great caracters and great writing. Was an nice addition to the summer. I love it.
  53. MartinG
    Sep 19, 2006
    Best new sci-fi show in years! Excelent use of humor, secrets, geeks and science! Not to mention explotions! You gotta have explotions :-)
  54. MichaelM
    Sep 19, 2006
    This is the best thing to come out of the Sci-Fi Channel since Battlestar Galactica! In fact I think it would do fairly well on the regular networks. It's fresh, smart funny and a little oddball. A great relief from the deluge of braindead reality shows. Not quite on par with "Northern Exposure" but very close to it in nature.
  55. TimberShiver
    Sep 29, 2006
    I didn't really like the pilot, I thought it was a case of "goofy for goofy's sake" but it all changed with the appearance of Stark. When he first turns up, I assumed he was just going to be a typical Bond-baddie, very suave, and probably evil, but instead he gets some of the best lines, is really funny (especially in his quasi-bitchy interactions with Sherrif Carter - a I didn't really like the pilot, I thought it was a case of "goofy for goofy's sake" but it all changed with the appearance of Stark. When he first turns up, I assumed he was just going to be a typical Bond-baddie, very suave, and probably evil, but instead he gets some of the best lines, is really funny (especially in his quasi-bitchy interactions with Sherrif Carter - a relationship which redefines the expression "grudging respect"), and, more importantly, gives the whole concept of a town like Eureka some needed backbone. Expand
  56. LarryS
    Jan 31, 2007
    Science fiction that isn't space opera or thinly disguised horror shows. I love this series and can't wait for more!
  57. GaryP
    Jul 18, 2007
    I hope it stays around for a while.
  58. Karen.C.
    Nov 23, 2006
    I want, no, I must have more!!!! When does the next season begin?
  59. BarbaraW
    Dec 12, 2006
    I love this show! Whedon-worthy dialogue and characters. A show that cares about being smart on multiple levels. Can't wait for season 2!
  60. Sep 21, 2013
    Eureka is set in a fictional US town in the Pacific Northwest that is inhabited almost entirely by scientific geniuses. Most residents of Eureka work for Global Dynamics, an advanced research facility that has been responsible for nearly all the major technological breakthroughs of the modern era. As the show begins US Marshall Jack Carter finds himself appointed as the town’s new sheriff,Eureka is set in a fictional US town in the Pacific Northwest that is inhabited almost entirely by scientific geniuses. Most residents of Eureka work for Global Dynamics, an advanced research facility that has been responsible for nearly all the major technological breakthroughs of the modern era. As the show begins US Marshall Jack Carter finds himself appointed as the town’s new sheriff, soon realising he is not prepared for the things he is about to witness.

Featuring a very good cast, headed brilliantly by Colin Ferguson as Sheriff Carter, Eureka certainly showed promise during its debut season and was usually at its best when it kept things light and had fun with its outlandish concept. The ongoing mystery behind the object hidden in ‘sector 5’ of Global Dynamics also added a little more depth to the drama ensuring that it didn’t fall into the usual procedural trap of having completely stand alone episodes. Having said all that I did find that my attention began to wander during a few episodes, particularly early on in the season, as the weekly cases often lacked the originality or imagination of something like the X-Files or Supernatural at their best. An episode whereby someone develops the ability to heal themselves for example, while still mildly entertaining, has been seen plenty of times before.

All in all then Eureka is probably worth giving a try and I’ll certainly tune in for the second season in the hope that it can continue its steady improvement.
  61. Dec 8, 2011
    This is a great show. Does not deserve a cancellation. This is especially true since A) it receive high viewership and b) its viewership is double than Syfy's Alphas which is a really bad show, and it got a renewed season. The show even has a higher numbers than Warehouse 13 which is also a good show and it beat out Alphas. Whats wrong with this Picture Syfy. Quit cancelling good shows.This is a great show. Does not deserve a cancellation. This is especially true since A) it receive high viewership and b) its viewership is double than Syfy's Alphas which is a really bad show, and it got a renewed season. The show even has a higher numbers than Warehouse 13 which is also a good show and it beat out Alphas. Whats wrong with this Picture Syfy. Quit cancelling good shows. You did this to StarGate franchise (where the last two SG Movies) and countless other shows. Expand
  62. Jul 9, 2012
    The critics must only have seen one or two episodes because this tv show is just plain excellent!
    It's funny, dramatic and just a good family scify. And the user scores just don't lie.
  63. Feb 19, 2013
    One of the better shows on TV a.t.m. It has an interesting plot, but at the same time doesn't take itself too seriously. The blend of intrigue, comedy and sci-fi elements make it a really enjoyable watch
  64. Oct 14, 2013
    Fun, comedic, clever, well cast and written oasis of sci-fi in a desert of mediocre tv. Was the most popular show on the channel and continued to grow till it was sadly cancelled.

With its population of must-love oddballs, the series drowns its cool sci-fi concept in a flood of "Northern Exposure" quaintness.
  2. Even though broader does mean more conventional, conventional these days is underrated.
    "Eureka" is clever paranormal escapism that sometimes teeters on the edge of whimsical excess. But that doesn't mean you won't find plenty of affable, oddball entertainment.