• Network: TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Jun 19, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
6.3

1. Nov 5, 2014
    Another one of those shows that starts off good and then after a season or two or three in this case it goes downhill. It's a good TV show but this last season was pretty boring, though it became more interesting towards the end of this season. I think as long as the last season which airs in 2015 turns out good, then the show will be a success, but it's going to depend on how they finishAnother one of those shows that starts off good and then after a season or two or three in this case it goes downhill. It's a good TV show but this last season was pretty boring, though it became more interesting towards the end of this season. I think as long as the last season which airs in 2015 turns out good, then the show will be a success, but it's going to depend on how they finish off the show. It's still a good show, but it has it's slow moments. Still with that being said, I'd recommend it to somebody who likes fantasy shows. Expand
  2. Sep 23, 2014
    Falling skies is a preview of post apocalyptic life under the thumb of Chairman-O but with much more entertaining, over the top, budget sucking CGI

#ThePeoplesCUBE
  3. Sep 1, 2014
    Falling Skies is a very good science fiction show. The alien action is aplenty and it never forgets to develop the characters.The show is produced by Stephen Spielberg and you can definitely tell he has a stamp on it. The aliens make the exact same noises as the raptors from Jurassic Park and the Father-Son bond in this show is as present as his earlier movies like Close Encounters andFalling Skies is a very good science fiction show. The alien action is aplenty and it never forgets to develop the characters.The show is produced by Stephen Spielberg and you can definitely tell he has a stamp on it. The aliens make the exact same noises as the raptors from Jurassic Park and the Father-Son bond in this show is as present as his earlier movies like Close Encounters and Hook. I would recommend this to anyone who like alien invasions or Stephen Spielberg's kind of film making. Expand
  4. Aug 24, 2014
    It's a pretty good show that has way too much drama for my tastes but still manage to satisfy with decent make-up and good realism for the genre, AKA, they're not trying to get away with shooting things like propane tanks and have them explode by themselves without a source of ignition, AKA, fire.
  5. Aug 11, 2014
    I love this show for exactly what it is: a prime time network sci-fi show that has to keep ratings. For you idiots who do not understand; this show can not be a Firefly or STG. It is based on popularity and ratings. Get over it. At heart there is a great story line that keeps changing and a great cast of characters.
  6. Jul 28, 2014
    This show has a few things going for it, and a lot against it. For starters, it came out around the same time as The Walking Dead, which took a similar premise (survivors on the run from invading monsters) and did it all so, so much better. It's a program that tries to do it all - special effects, action/fight scenes, character-building, emotional depth, and comes up short in eachThis show has a few things going for it, and a lot against it. For starters, it came out around the same time as The Walking Dead, which took a similar premise (survivors on the run from invading monsters) and did it all so, so much better. It's a program that tries to do it all - special effects, action/fight scenes, character-building, emotional depth, and comes up short in each category. While The Walking Dead redefined what shows on channels like AMC could be - Falling Skies certainly 'feels' like a TNT program and I think that has a lot to do with writing. The plots are super thin, it's all surface-depth stuff, there's just not a lot for actors to really do here. And that's a shame because there are some good actors here. Noah Wyle's Tom Mason is believable and a strong character only because Wyle is such a seasoned, strong actor. Other good talent (Will Patton, Dale Dye, Colin Cunningham) struggle with the source material, and the relative newcomer actors (Connor Jessup, Drew Roy, Seychelle Gabriel, Moon Bloodgood) just aren't talented enough to rise above the writing. With other characters, it's like the writers were just trying things out - Dylan Author's 'Jimmy' for instance - felt from the beginning like he didn't fit anywhere, and the writers apparently saw that too so he was conveniently written out. Support cast like Mpho Koaho and Peter Shinkoda are so one-dimensional as to practically disappear even while on screen. Special effects scenes go for broke, with huge backdrops of cities after Armageddon that are generally cool, but look like painted backdrops, aliens that aren't miserably silly looking, but in the bigger action scenes still clearly look like CGI. Critics seemed to find the show 'competently directed', and if you're looking for standard fair with no great cinematography or particularly creative or interesting scenes I guess that's fair. You won't find a foreboding sense of lingering dread here, as you will in The Walking Dead. That's all direction, because the source material of both programs should be equally spooky and dreadful - but one works and the other not so much. In this respect, it's sort of a shame Spielberg's name is on this. There's no real trademark of his excellence or brand here at all. With all that said, I will simply say that Falling Skies might keep your interest for an hour each week. It's not boring, I suppose, and I keep thinking it might blossom into something better. But over the four seasons, I can say that the first few are the best, and frankly that's not saying much, and doesn't illuminate a bright future for the series. For horror you can do better with The Walking Dead. For sci fi, you can do (infinitely) better with the modern Battlestar Galactica. For drama, you can do better in 100 places. Expand
  7. Jul 16, 2014
    fine for kids (probably what the producers intended) but in general, too predictable and requires suspending belief on too many simple aspects (for example, that an advanced alien species would be able to build sophisticated robots but not design an accurate targeting system for them).
  8. Jun 30, 2014
    So much potential so much waste.

So much potential so much waste.

This vs Battle Star Galactica, Galactica wins by land slide. The same setting (post apocalyptic refugees on the run) much better character development. This shows tries action scenes and fails miserably. Tries emotional depth and fails miserably. Tries character development and fails miserably, Sarah Carter`s character should be next to insane due to the trauma of being repeatedly raped and used as a toy by a gang, thou when they find her she is cracking snide remarks and jokes.

This is a show that tries to present a harsh and bleak setting, but is unwilling to compromise the brutality that comes with it. Everything seems fake, the reactions, the fights, the motivations, the interactions, the gang of guerrilla fighters constantly on the move and the verge of starvation who also happen to walk around with iron pressed "rags" for clothes.

Bottom line is a show that tells a PG-13 to R story, but wants to be G rated show. Everything comes out bland and artificial.
  9. Jun 30, 2014
    I was looking forward to the new season of Falling Skies for months now. I really tried to get enjoy the first two episodes. So far it has been a disappointment to me. Nothing I have seen so far has been able to keep my interest. They are spending too much time in the prison area and it's always dark and dingy looking. I think in the first episode that was ok. Now it is dragging onI was looking forward to the new season of Falling Skies for months now. I really tried to get enjoy the first two episodes. So far it has been a disappointment to me. Nothing I have seen so far has been able to keep my interest. They are spending too much time in the prison area and it's always dark and dingy looking. I think in the first episode that was ok. Now it is dragging on into the 2nd episode. You would think they had a shortage on lighting while filming. Yawn.........
    I really really want it to get better!
  10. Jun 24, 2014
    This was probably the best season of the show and it ain't good. Characters are so one dimensional and so pathetic, I can't believe they're even alive in this war. Acting is sub par and it is so boring.
  11. Jun 15, 2014
    Okay cast, okay special effects, but a terrible script- nothing but a string of platitudes and cliches. Because the script is junk, there's little or no chemistry between the actors. Hand the writing over to me and I'll give you a show worth watching. I can't understand how such crap ends up in production. Spielberg seems to be great at raising money for projects, but beyond that the guyOkay cast, okay special effects, but a terrible script- nothing but a string of platitudes and cliches. Because the script is junk, there's little or no chemistry between the actors. Hand the writing over to me and I'll give you a show worth watching. I can't understand how such crap ends up in production. Spielberg seems to be great at raising money for projects, but beyond that the guy himself strikes me as being as dumb as a bag of hammers. The CGI aliens and machines are derivative to the point of absurdity, obviously stolen from here and there. The worst part about the show is that the plot doesn't work. If aliens had killed of 95% of Earth's population, there wouldn't be a building or structure left standing. You'd have a moonscape devoid of life, and food would be conspicuously absent from the picture. Note to scriptwriters- always work from an outline: that's how you avoid train-wrecks like this. Expand
  12. Apr 20, 2014
    yeah, I think this series are great
    - the story is interesting
    - the crew are good
    - the plot too
    so., in the end.. Falling Skies rules!!!
    i'm just waiting for the next season and it's taking too long
  13. Apr 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I hope they will study carefully to scenario for the next season so we won't regret wait to watch season 4. I want Falling Skies to regain its excitement because it is a crazy project and they take a huge risk. Expand
  14. Mar 13, 2014
    Incredibly stupid. Seriously, the characters are dumb, they act dumb, think dumb, which is frustrating. Aliens too, they are just stupid, do illogical things.
    But the worst part is the "hooray America the great free nation will save the world" syrup poured all over this pile of boring dogpoo.
    Avoid this series, unless you like looking at stupid people doing stupid things.
  15. Feb 20, 2014
    The Walking Dead of alien invasions, but not as bad.

The Walking Dead of alien invasions, but not as bad.

This show is just weak all around. Starting with, it makes no bloody sense, action scenes are ridiculous beyond comprehension, character decisions are baffling poor, scenario choice is cheap and poor, and the way things evolve is to say the least, utterly unbelievable, finally ending with the boring endless touching drama scenes that just don't connect in any way... I could go on and on about it.

What saves this show is that the characters have some value, the acting is ok, the characters actually evolve and sometimes they even learn, and there's an alien invasion in an apocalyptic world.
  16. Jan 16, 2014
    This show is awesome! It is superbly paced, intensely active, suspenseful and eerie, and visually exciting. Falling Skies is a superior sci-fi TV show.
  17. Dec 2, 2013
    Falling skies is and interesting and compelling story of a group of survival, whom are at the threat of extinction due to aliens forces. The series may had started slow although it has improved and is in my top listed tv series next to the Walking Dead.
  18. Oct 10, 2013
    I used to call Falling Skies, the Walking Dead with aliens (see my review of the Walking Dead for why that's bad). However the show has dramatically improved in its second season. Now, I can comfortably say it's like the Walking Dead, done right. Featuring a cast of characters that are actually likable, and enemies whom are capable of fighting back. The show has many elements. Survival,I used to call Falling Skies, the Walking Dead with aliens (see my review of the Walking Dead for why that's bad). However the show has dramatically improved in its second season. Now, I can comfortably say it's like the Walking Dead, done right. Featuring a cast of characters that are actually likable, and enemies whom are capable of fighting back. The show has many elements. Survival, espionage, shootin-tootin, drama, and it's not without the occasional much needed love story. Overall, its a well-rounded show that is for sure worth watching if you are a fan of Science Fiction, Action, Aliens, or Survival stories. Expand
  19. Sep 14, 2013
    just boring and bland. its not terible but boy howdy it is not particularly good either. hard to put a finger on the faults but its pretty slow moving, reasonably predictable, does not really explore the created world to any sort of satisfactory level and when it does it devolves into safe cliches and bad dialogue. the long haired biker guy (havent watched an eposiode for awhile, i amjust boring and bland. its not terible but boy howdy it is not particularly good either. hard to put a finger on the faults but its pretty slow moving, reasonably predictable, does not really explore the created world to any sort of satisfactory level and when it does it devolves into safe cliches and bad dialogue. the long haired biker guy (havent watched an eposiode for awhile, i am forgetting his name) is a total pantomime villain, and I dont understand why he is treated the way he is, its like the creators are trying to impose a cliche societal standard where evceryone is respectful and goody two shoes; maybe this is the problem, the characters themselves are wooden, one dimensional and not well rounded. I lost interest at some point in the second season, ill probably go back and watch them all in order at some stage, its a little bit more interesting that way. Expand
  20. Sep 7, 2013
    Excellent show, it beats the walking dead hands down. I love the setting of aliens attacking and the actors in this show are amazing. I think its a 10/10
  21. Sep 3, 2013
    Slow action, incredibly dimwitted characters, predictable plot, boring scenery. This show is a huge disappointment. It could have, it should have been great! Post apocalyptic rebuilding, or sci-fi action, or tense thriller, but no. This series fails at all levels. Even the otherwise good actors seem to have lost most of their skills.
  22. Sep 2, 2013
    Aliens' weapons of conquer are boredom and dullness...
    Aliens' weapons of conquer are boredom and dullness...
    It is really unbeliveable how characters of this show are dumb. Really. The only reason why invaders haven't won yet is because they are even more stupid than humans! The plot is boring and has gap holes as big as the solar system, the characters always (yes, ALWAYS) act with brainless strategies and the only reason why they are still alive is because the so technological advanced aliens seem not to have a proper radar or heat sensor. (no really, how can a flying alien drone not notice a caravan just because it has a blanket on its engine? How can a bad-ass alien terminator not notice human presence 1 meter away?)
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    A good show, fun to watch. Could´ve been better, more complex maybe, although, a fine entertainment for weekend´s afternoon.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat.
  24. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Started off as a great show, it remained great up until the 4th season. Now the characters are rather dull and the plot just annoys me in so many ways. The men that were fighting for their lifes are now rambos slaughtering aliens. Expand
  25. Jul 9, 2013
    This show is absolutely the most immature and pathetic sci fi show I have ever seen. It makes sponge bob squarepants look like an intellectual leviathan alien, it's just so feeble. It's like a sci-fi version of the 1960s batman series, but without any of the laughs.
  26. Jun 19, 2013
    Falling Skies is a somewhat entertaining TV show, however every I time I watch it I'm really just thinking "When's The Walking Dead going to be back again?" The plot is understandable, but lacks the addictiveness that TWD provides.

The cast has decent actors that know what they're doing, but aren't extremely experienced. This is a good show, but there are better.
  27. Jun 17, 2013
    I've been speed-watching this with my family. We started watching the show about three weeks ago, and finally caught up to real-time for the premiere of the third season. It's a great yet simple plot that allows for the series to focus on small events and ideas that are bits and pieces of the overall alien invasion story. Instead of a global focus the viewer's focus is on a singleI've been speed-watching this with my family. We started watching the show about three weeks ago, and finally caught up to real-time for the premiere of the third season. It's a great yet simple plot that allows for the series to focus on small events and ideas that are bits and pieces of the overall alien invasion story. Instead of a global focus the viewer's focus is on a single American militia that is more civilian than military. People are stepping up in the fight, but real world and family-level problems are very present.

The movie suffers, in a sense from have such good writing and acting that one naturally compares it to its peers which due to its caliber is only met by movies or the greatest of TV shows. Here the special effects not always shine. This is easy to forgive and pretty easy to overlook most of the time.

The characters and relationships are what really keeps things together in my opinion. There are so many of each, but it doesn't feel like too much. It feels like what one would expect in this fantastic scenario. It feels as real as you can get in a science fiction storyline such as this.
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    This show is surprisingly good. It is better than I expected. The show does keep me interested, and the overall concept, although done before, is played out well. The acting is good, and the show leaves few things unturned and pays attention to detail.
  29. Apr 29, 2013
    There has certainly been no shortage of alien invasion stories in film or on TV but Falling Skies seeks to differentiate itself by starting at the point in which the humans have already lost. Minutes into the opening episode we learn that the majority of the human race that survived the attack have banded together under military protection (well, what is left of it at least) and are forcedThere has certainly been no shortage of alien invasion stories in film or on TV but Falling Skies seeks to differentiate itself by starting at the point in which the humans have already lost. Minutes into the opening episode we learn that the majority of the human race that survived the attack have banded together under military protection (well, what is left of it at least) and are forced to remain on the move if they are to avoid detection from the alien creatures and mechs roaming the Earth.

This is certainly not a show without (a number of) faults. The script for example is slightly lacking compared to the best drama and sci-fi shows of the last decade such as Battlestar Galactica and problems are all too often resolved rather to easily, with little to no consequences, in order that the plot can progress. Budgetary restraints also mean that the show regularly builds anticipation towards an upcoming event only for said event to take place off-screen, an attempted attack on an alien stronghold towards the end of the season being a perfect example of this.

Despite these faults Falling Skies is certainly an enjoyable show in many ways. The large ensemble cast contains enough interesting (if slightly stereotypical) and likable characters in order that viewers start to care about want happens to them and the majority of the performances are more than adequate for a sci-fi show. The twists and turns in the narrative are also unpredictable enough to keep most people guessing at what will happen next with some genuinely interesting revelations dotted throughout this first season.
    In the end I found it best to just ignore the plot holes and convenient coincidences and take the show for what it is. I for one am willing to give it a second chance next season.
  30. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Acting, directing and CG is ok or even good for a show thats more of a drama than a sci-fi.

What gets my blood pressure is the incredible stupidity of the characters and script. If at any point, there are two options of which one is stupid or counter-productive they will invariable choose that one. They catch one alien alive, which apparently hasn't been done before. The supposedly smart doctor wants to kill it without questioning it first. Seems an incredibly dumb suggestion as it's already been stated that they know next to nothing about the aliens.
    One character suddenly forgets that they are in the immediate vicinity of some bad-ass aliens and starts shouting as to make certain that everybody gets killed. This happens twice by the way. One would think that people who have survived by guerilla warfare for 6 months would be smarter than that.
    The discover that the aliens reuse ammunition cartridges from guns made on earth but nobody thought of trying it in their own weapons.
    One kid's mind gets transformed by the aliens but it doesn't seem to occur to anyone that he might have useful information. Medical procedures that in one episode are described as complex and time consuming, can be done on ~10 people at once a few episodes later.
    The script is extremely predictable. The record for me was 5 minutes. That is, 5 minutes before I'd correctly guessed what was going to be the twist in the episode.

I REALLY hope season 2 is as good as they say as that's the reason I stayed with season 1. Oh yeah, I also hope the script writers for season 1 got fired.
  31. Jan 30, 2013
    Fantastic show. I think they are spending money in the right places because the graphics, storyline, and character building are all of very high quality. With that said, I have just one recommendation for the writers, producers, etc. that I think would make Falling Skies even better than it is (if that's even possible). I would like to see a few episodes dedicated toward flashbacks toFantastic show. I think they are spending money in the right places because the graphics, storyline, and character building are all of very high quality. With that said, I have just one recommendation for the writers, producers, etc. that I think would make Falling Skies even better than it is (if that's even possible). I would like to see a few episodes dedicated toward flashbacks to the day the aliens arrived and the first few days, weeks that followed. I think well timed flashbacks have a place throughout the series indefinitely. I think this is a perfect place to show off the kind of chaos an alien invasion would create. It would only serve to further enhance our relationship with the characters as we could see first-hand some of the tough decisions they had to make in leaving loved ones behind, their homes, pets, money. I envision the process of flashing back much like the way LOST did it. When a character is in the midst of a particular conversation, after a pause on their face, the bright light overcomes the screen (much like when they showed us the flashbacks of Tom's time on the alien spaceship in season 2) and *POOF* we're back in the past. Expand
  32. Jan 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The shows plot is predictable, cliched and slow.
    None of the actors could act to save their lives
    The CGI is rubbish.
    And all the characters are completely unoriginal.
    Basically, its a **** show that will rob you of your time and of your brain cells
  33. Dec 12, 2012
    While I did try to like this show, I just found it boring. Very little original in it as it borrows from countless sci-fi, horror and/or survival movies/shows that have come before it. Colin Cunningham's character is perhaps this shows only saving grace, being perhaps the only character with some depth and development. Overall: A really faceless show that just does not deliver based onWhile I did try to like this show, I just found it boring. Very little original in it as it borrows from countless sci-fi, horror and/or survival movies/shows that have come before it. Colin Cunningham's character is perhaps this shows only saving grace, being perhaps the only character with some depth and development. Overall: A really faceless show that just does not deliver based on what it is. A miss. Expand
  34. Nov 20, 2012
    It seemed from the first episode that all this show was is more empty hype and wasn't good. As soon as you hit the 6th or 7th epsiode it completely changes and gets you hooked. Stay with it. It might be a bit too Spielberg-y at first but the writing and great cast make up for it. It will surprise you!
  35. Nov 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Falling Skies season 1 has serious pacing issues. The characters in the show never evolve beyond their storyboard framework. The show's character development feels forced and unfulfilling. The shame is that there is so little scifi on television these days that fans of the genre are reduced to enduring a show like this. Minor spoilers here,****, but elements of the humans fight against the aliens makes me have to switch off my brain because it's so unbelievable. It's in the same vein as the movie Signs. Aliens capable of traveling millions of light years through space and landing on another planet understand so little about basic science concepts like radio frequencies. All that being said, the show has room to improve and it was picked up for a second season. With any luck, the characters will be more fleshed out and the acting feel less rigid. I don't blame the actors either because it's obviously the material they are working with. Expand
  36. Aug 20, 2012
    The show has had a great plot so far. The action is intensifying as the story continues to progress. It's one of the best TV shows out there that I've seen so far. It's been an interesting ride, and I can't wait until Season 3. Unfortunately, I can't stand waiting a whole year to watch another season of 10 episodes. All in all, it is definitely an awesome show.
  37. Aug 15, 2012
    I cant believe I actually tormented myself to view the whole season.
    After the first 2 episode I thought... Nothing special, but might still pick up!
    But it didnt. It was bland the whole season. Even the most action and suspense packed scenes made me yawn. This is Spielberg quality? Thats sad, because the story is boring, because it has been there hundreds of times before, the
    I cant believe I actually tormented myself to view the whole season.

This is Spielberg quality? Thats sad, because the story is boring, because it has been there hundreds of times before, the characters all are boring too hell and so are the dialogues.

Anyway, I wont watch the second season. I seriously cant understand how this crap is even getting a second season while good series like Stargate Universe, Enterprise, Altlantis, SCC, or Firefly got axed so soon.
  38. Aug 10, 2012
    This was a TV Science Fiction show. The characters are good, the cast of a show looked okay also sound effects doesn't sound familiar. Rating: 8/10
  39. Jul 27, 2012
    For some reason I have committed myself to watching this show. Having said that, I feel like that entitles me to say with all confidence that this is one of the worst television shows I've ever seen. I could basically summarize the entire first two seasons in less than a paragraph. That's right, less than a paragraph.

Two seasons in and NOTHING remotely interesting has been revealed.

Two seasons in and NOTHING remotely interesting has been revealed. Characters who come and go without reason have little to no development and the writing constantly tries to hit you over the head with these emotional moments that just come off as trite and annoying. In fact, I didn't even know most of the characters names until the second season. This entire show is a big gaping plot hole that the writers/producers never even attempt to fill. In fact, when the opportunity arises for a little damn exposition, it's skipped for more trite, emotional BS. Look, I'm all for heart in a story but Falling Skies neither has the capacity to pull it off or the story to back it up. I've seen every episode of this show and the fascination only comes from how amazingly bad this show is. And yet it gets picked up for a third season. My hate is real. There is nothing remotely interesting or compelling about this show. At all.
  40. Jul 25, 2012
    This first season of Falling Skies makes for interesting sci-fi TV moments. But Spielberg and crew don't ever quite find their footing until the show is several episodes in. Viewers: you'd be sorry to give up on the show only after a couple episodes. The real life of this show is only just beginning. It's one of the better shows to find on TV during the summer months, and the castThis first season of Falling Skies makes for interesting sci-fi TV moments. But Spielberg and crew don't ever quite find their footing until the show is several episodes in. Viewers: you'd be sorry to give up on the show only after a couple episodes. The real life of this show is only just beginning. It's one of the better shows to find on TV during the summer months, and the cast shows lots of promise. Expand
  41. Jul 22, 2012
    I anticipated Falling skies very much but was disappointed by the lame storytelling and the too obvious logical flaws there are. People are constantly struggling more with their relationship issues in dialogues as common as it can be and not driving the story itself. Battlestar or Lost performed a lot better in ways of interweaving plot lines and displaying everyday relationship issues inI anticipated Falling skies very much but was disappointed by the lame storytelling and the too obvious logical flaws there are. People are constantly struggling more with their relationship issues in dialogues as common as it can be and not driving the story itself. Battlestar or Lost performed a lot better in ways of interweaving plot lines and displaying everyday relationship issues in the wake not as the main-topic in an interesting setting. Sad, very sad. But perhaps the second season will get better. Expand
  42. Jul 21, 2012
    Great show and i really loved this show don't pay no mind to all those with bad review probably never watched it since the start of the show. I would encourage everyone to watch it . This show is one of the best.
  43. Jun 4, 2012
    Love the show. TNT is full of crap and producing a serial drama series like this with Wyle in a lead role. SEASON 2 just around the corner. any problems look to be fixed with new showrunner
  44. Jun 4, 2012
    FALLING SKIES is a great show. By the end, I was hooked. The show had some problems, but they were overshadowed by what the series excelled in, like Noah Wyle's brilliant acting and the great special effects.
  45. May 31, 2012
    Falling Skies Falling Skies Falling Skies!!! I think this is one of the best new sci-fi epic series since Battlestar Gallactica graced the small screen. I almost feel wrong for enjoying the world of the 2ND Mass, a post apocalyptic land full of 6 legged aliens with their mysterious overlord bosses all being protected by some pretty serious military hardware. Yikes, just when it can'tFalling Skies Falling Skies Falling Skies!!! I think this is one of the best new sci-fi epic series since Battlestar Gallactica graced the small screen. I almost feel wrong for enjoying the world of the 2ND Mass, a post apocalyptic land full of 6 legged aliens with their mysterious overlord bosses all being protected by some pretty serious military hardware. Yikes, just when it can't any worse...we learn they are taking our children and subjecting them to some pretty serious genetic manipulation in attempts to increasing thier numbers. Good writing, good effects, good cast = good times. For those who expect the world because Spielberg is attached should relax and remember, this is a weekly serial and it seems that the aliens are vary much in control. So enjoy it for what it is. I know I am. Expand
  46. Apr 9, 2012
    Falling Skies is an epic series with a good story pace. It always leaving you wanting more while at the same time answers all the questions you had about the episode before it. It has aliens inhabiting Earth and taking over kids as slaves. While the characters are trying to survive without getting kilt and they're kids being controlled. It is one of my most favorite tv shows. Can't waitFalling Skies is an epic series with a good story pace. It always leaving you wanting more while at the same time answers all the questions you had about the episode before it. It has aliens inhabiting Earth and taking over kids as slaves. While the characters are trying to survive without getting kilt and they're kids being controlled. It is one of my most favorite tv shows. Can't wait for it to come back on in Summer of 2012! Expand
  47. Feb 8, 2012
    Brilliant. Love the show xant wait for blu ray release. wyle is briiiiiiliant in the lead...

Colin cunningham and will patton are great too......... This and Breaking Bad and Boardwalk and AHS are the best on TV!!!
  48. Dec 20, 2011
    Falling Skies is far from perfect, but is not as bad as the user score might lead you to believe. The characters while lacking development are not stereotypes and are pretty interesting to watch. The story is engaging and I love how it abandons the classic and overused formula of an Alien Invasion being beaten embarrassingly easy. It's a post-apocalyptic action series first, and a sci-fiFalling Skies is far from perfect, but is not as bad as the user score might lead you to believe. The characters while lacking development are not stereotypes and are pretty interesting to watch. The story is engaging and I love how it abandons the classic and overused formula of an Alien Invasion being beaten embarrassingly easy. It's a post-apocalyptic action series first, and a sci-fi drama close second. It may not be for everyone (that much is certain) but give the pilot episode a watch and see how it fits. Expand
  49. Dec 1, 2011
    isso é uma lixo. nao recomendo nem para o meu pior inimigo! péssima, péssimo roteiro, péssimos atores. nao tem nada que salve e espero que nao tenha uma segunda temporada!
  50. Oct 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Boring, bad, dumb, slow, but above all this show is incredibly annoying. Whether the dialogue, action scenes, poor (lack of) logic or character building, every aspect of this show is incredibly annoying. It is so annoying that I was forced to skip scenes at an exponentially increasing rate, after episode 3 I skipped the rest of the show. OK let me try to give you an idea how annoying this show is. So, aliens came to earth and defeated every military and nation around the world. The show is about the last survivors of the human race (+ a dog) and their resistance against the superior alien enemy. The aliens have superior technology, higher intelligence and had the advantage of a surprise attack, that is why they won, right? Nope, apparently the aliens won because nobody knows how to kill them. It's told a couple of times, they knew you would start skipping the dialogue and wanted to make sure you catch that. However, the hero of the show is determined and wont give up. He is a professional history teacher and explains numerous times how history is full of examples of inferior forces winning battles. He also uses his history lesson airtime to shove a medium portion American patriotism down your throat, just in case you missed your daily dose of any other generic American TV show or forgot to sing the national anthem in front of the flag. Luckily, our hero finds a way to kill the evil invaders, you know, you just have to get close. Yes, that's it, if only the combined military powers of the world with their fancy special forces, jets and nuclear weapons knew this intriguing secret before they were utterly defeated. With shocking knowledge in mind and handguns loaded the untrained, partially underage resistance fighters of the earth stand a chance again. It's obvious that humanity can't win head on, that's why hundreds people walk around in broad daylight to regroup with other groups of people who I guess also walk around in broad daylight without being spotted by the extraterrestrials. That makes total sense, these aliens must have skipped technological conveniences like satellites, aerial reconnaissance, night vision, effective weapons etc., instead they went directly after space travel, mind control, autonomous robots and a device to find earth in the vast universe. Also the aliens are morons, just like the humans. All these facts combined make for mind-blowing action scenes. So, once again our group of heroes has to leave the larger group of people who are totally safe by the way, because anything noteworthy in this universe happens in the immediate surroundings of one of the characters you know the name of, except being killed. The objective is as always getting supplies from an seemingly abandoned warehouse, but surprise an alien is hiding behind that box someone is grabbing. Here I should mention there are two types of aliens, the first one is a walking robot that can shoot, the second one is the actual alien. The actual alien has multiple legs, sharp teeth, wears an armoured vest, makes strange noises, is capable of mind control and can only fight by catching people and biting and maybe punching. So again, the second type alien is hiding behind some box in an abandoned warehouse in anticipation of someone to grab it, because that's what you do after you have decisively won an interplanetary war. Finally, some unsuspecting fool grabs the box, *waaagghhhgheeee* the alien screams and waits for the humans to react. They do, by running around waving their weapons in front of their groin and shooting in full auto. *Pweew*, *ching* all the missing bullets surprisingly do no damage, the ones that statistically have to hit some part of the aliens body do no damage either. You have to get close man! You see, when you get close you can beat them even with a flashlight. Luckily the aliens don't have walkie-talkies, would be a pain encountering more than two aliens at once. After a while the next battle starts, this time it's the robot alien. Usually our heroes spot them first, hide behind a car at a throwing distance and make an attempt at strategy. However, it never works out as planned, either someone runs out of cover screaming *insert dog's or loved one's name* or someone tips something over while doing something that was completely unnecessary to begin with. Robot alien activates it's advanced weaponry, multiple slightly differently colored laser beams converge on the target's head, advanced battle AI identifies target as an extra, boom, dead. If the laser beams spot a regular cast member, robot alien activates dramatic mode that freezes the target and makes it stare. After the target was dive saved the robot usually fires it's other weapon, a small rocket that makes cars go boom. Well, the really annoying stuff is the romance sub-plot, the moronic god talks and the father-son relationship building exercises while everybody is staring.SorryNotEnoughSpaceToExpressAllMyHate Expand
  51. Oct 16, 2011
    What? The talent of the Spielberg factory couldn't come up with a different looking invader? They look like the offspring of the "War of the Worlds" family. And how many times does Noah Wylie have to comfort his sons about how things will be all right? I'm happier watching re-runs of the old "V". Now that was fun! Oh well, another boring "epic" from Spielberg. Thank the stars for "TheWhat? The talent of the Spielberg factory couldn't come up with a different looking invader? They look like the offspring of the "War of the Worlds" family. And how many times does Noah Wylie have to comfort his sons about how things will be all right? I'm happier watching re-runs of the old "V". Now that was fun! Oh well, another boring "epic" from Spielberg. Thank the stars for "The Walking Dead"! Expand
  52. Oct 5, 2011
    It only gets worse... and worse... and worse as the season progresses. I had high hopes, you bet. I love sci/fi. This is not SciFi. This is a bunch of paintballers who don't shower and hang out at the local school without taking a shower. They hold candlelight vigils and spend lots of time in touchy feely conversations because it is easier than actually writing a scifi script. TheIt only gets worse... and worse... and worse as the season progresses. I had high hopes, you bet. I love sci/fi. This is not SciFi. This is a bunch of paintballers who don't shower and hang out at the local school without taking a shower. They hold candlelight vigils and spend lots of time in touchy feely conversations because it is easier than actually writing a scifi script. The first time I saw the aliens i wanted to laugh because the graphics were more cheesy than World of Warcraft. The sound that the metal aliens make when they march up... what's with that sound... is it supposed to be scary? I've heard more scary sounds in techno music. Everything fails. It is impossible to care about any of the characters because the acting and the script are terrible. FAIL. Expand
  53. Oct 4, 2011
    Light years better than Speilbergs other 2011 televised attempt. Better paced, better acted, better written, better art direction and better effects. The characters have depth and Noah Wylie, Colin Cunningham and Will Patton are doing a mighty good job with their roles. The effects while not outstanding like one would hope from a Speilberg production (ie not as good as BSG from), they areLight years better than Speilbergs other 2011 televised attempt. Better paced, better acted, better written, better art direction and better effects. The characters have depth and Noah Wylie, Colin Cunningham and Will Patton are doing a mighty good job with their roles. The effects while not outstanding like one would hope from a Speilberg production (ie not as good as BSG from), they are still on par or better than most other shows today. The writing in comparison to Terra Nova is far deeper. Instead of throwing a bunch of wild ideas at the veiwer all at once, it takes it slow. Allowing viewers to aclimbatize to the situation slower, making it more meaningiful. A promising series and in comparison it shows that SPeilbergs trust lies more with this series than it does with the flaming wreckage that is Terra Nova. Expand
  54. Aug 30, 2011
    The only thing bad about this show was that it was only 10 episodes long. The writing was fantastic, the actors top-par, and the effects were top of the line. This is what Syfy needs to look at when making a Science Fiction show. Hopefully they will extend next season to more than 10 episodes, as it was really too short.
  55. Aug 29, 2011
    Everyone in my family enjoyed this show. It was not great but it was entertaining. We were always left wondering what was going to happen in the next episode. I would recommend it
  56. Aug 26, 2011
    Falling Skies is a prime example of a show trying to do something amazing but falling short of it. To summarize, Falling Skies revolves around a human resistance against invading aliens. Which sounds like it'd be great fun, but unfortunately, it isn't.

Getting right down to it, Falling Skies has very sub-par writing. It's B-movie material that's unfortunately given to a great cast of actors- it's basically what you'd expect out of a rough draft from a 15 year old's "epic" movie idea. The "romance" bits are shoehorned in, along with all the other bits of cliche "character bonding" moments.

It can't be all bad though, right? Even generic, B-level action movies can still be well liked, if only because of the overly gratuitous action. But it lacks that campy charm from, say, Starship Troopers. The action takes the backseat to the many conversation scenes that take place in the human shelter, which unnecessarily drags the show on and on. When the action finally happens, it's very slow and predictable. To top it off, it all comes across as serious- at least with a B-movie, you know it's a B-movie. However, Falling Skies tries to act like Spielberg's other alien-themed production, War of the Worlds- without any of the feeling of a constant threat, terrifying invaders, or even a somewhat realistic sense of human survival. All of the good things you'd expect from Falling Skies just don't come true.

All in all, Falling Skies is a show that's a great idea that pretty much completely fails to deliver.
  57. Aug 24, 2011
    the basic concept of the show is excellent the 1 problem with the show is that they arent really trying to stop the aliens just kind of avoiding them for way too many episodes
  58. Aug 18, 2011
    My biggest complaint with this show is that it often fails to capitalize on the subplots that it opens. In this season alone there were at least two major subplots resolved in one or two episodes that could have filled at least half a season each. That said, it gripped me enough to make me want to come back for another season, and that's certainly something.
  59. Aug 16, 2011
    Every time there was a shoot out I just wanted to see blood and guts and have it so much grittier, its trying to be a family friendly Walking Dead and that can not happen, the characters never feel in danger, the kids annoy me, they start it off really bad and there is never any true back story to some characters. Also it feels like more time has been spent on the aliens than the humansEvery time there was a shoot out I just wanted to see blood and guts and have it so much grittier, its trying to be a family friendly Walking Dead and that can not happen, the characters never feel in danger, the kids annoy me, they start it off really bad and there is never any true back story to some characters. Also it feels like more time has been spent on the aliens than the humans although most shows like this do just think of the aliens as a crap generic enemy.But yet I still watch to see if there is a new trailer for the new Walking Dead series, because when this ends that is bound to start. Expand
  60. Aug 14, 2011
    One of the worst shows on TV! Bad writing, bad camera work, bad acting! Even Mystery Science Theater would not bother with lampooning this one! It is just that bad!!!
  61. Aug 11, 2011
    I had a lot of hope going into this series. With Steven Spielberg producing it, the series should have been an instant classic, right? Not so much. Noah Wyle's character is the only character worth caring about. Everyone else is trite and melodramatic. The whole show focuses on saving the children. "We have to save the children!"... Oh my lord. Could this be more cliched. I think not. TheI had a lot of hope going into this series. With Steven Spielberg producing it, the series should have been an instant classic, right? Not so much. Noah Wyle's character is the only character worth caring about. Everyone else is trite and melodramatic. The whole show focuses on saving the children. "We have to save the children!"... Oh my lord. Could this be more cliched. I think not. The special effects aren't very special and the writing is mind numbingly boring. I realize this is a cable show but they could have pumped in a little bit of money for some more action sequences and alien scenes. There's an entire battle that happens in the last episode that is only eluded to when the main character arrives at the location it was supposedly fought at. This is supposed to be the major climactic episode to keep us hooked for another season! They didn't even want to spend the money to make the last episode cinematically dynamic or explosive. I am so disappointed in Spielberg, who has hundreds of millions of dollars to produce box office blockbusters but only put enough into this show to let his reputation carry the series. In conclusion, this series is not worth your time. If you want good characters, watch reruns of Lost. If you want great alien action scenes, watch Cloverfield. If you want good dystopian sci/fi writing, read 1984 by George Orwell. Expand
  62. Aug 11, 2011
    I admit I've only seen a few episodes but already I can see this series should have been much better than it is. Straightaway I see what the problems are. The pilot starts off with the humans making a frantic effort to secure supplies. It's dark. There are mechs shooting them, aliens kidnapping them, but somehow some of the humans get back to their base. However the hero doesn't seemI admit I've only seen a few episodes but already I can see this series should have been much better than it is. Straightaway I see what the problems are. The pilot starts off with the humans making a frantic effort to secure supplies. It's dark. There are mechs shooting them, aliens kidnapping them, but somehow some of the humans get back to their base. However the hero doesn't seem phased by what should have been a traumatising experience. He brings back some food and someone makes a joke about the price of tuna. The base they are in seems very relaxed when in reality they should all be anxious, stressed and depressed. For a more realistic and believable view of how people would behave in situations like this look at the original terminator film or the more recent walking dead. Expand
  63. Aug 10, 2011
    I've tried hard to like it but by the 4th episode I wasn't really interested in watching it anymore. I confess the Spielberg name made me go so far or else I'd quit watching it fom the middle of the 2nd episode ahead.
  64. Aug 9, 2011
    Hey Haters the idea aliens invade earth is not Original But ALMOST EXACTLY everything Else is 100% Original and I dont like the fact that the kid started off talking but it told us what had just happened, I think this is my Top 10 Tv Shows and or Movies included to Ever! Open up the kid part is one part, At the end it gets you to really watch the next episode because It leaves u like "WhatHey Haters the idea aliens invade earth is not Original But ALMOST EXACTLY everything Else is 100% Original and I dont like the fact that the kid started off talking but it told us what had just happened, I think this is my Top 10 Tv Shows and or Movies included to Ever! Open up the kid part is one part, At the end it gets you to really watch the next episode because It leaves u like "What the **** thats how it ends comeon Tell us what happened!" but thats how it gets u hooked Expand
  65. Aug 8, 2011
    Falling Skies is one of the few shows I kept watching, even though I found it to be horribly bad, because I couldn't stop wondering how much worse it could still get. Doing so, I found out that it actually got better halfway through the season, but only a little and not nearly enough.
    My greatest issue with the show is, that the setting is completely implausible and has plot holes ranging from background to on-going story arc, which are so huge that tanks could be parked in them. A score of 1 instead of 0 is deserved, because most of the characters are well cast, even though the writers did not manage to do anything useful with them. The biggest minus in my opinion is the horrible quality of the special effects, which makes the menacing alien machines look like nothing more thrilling than broken Lego toys.
  66. Aug 5, 2011
    Turgid, ill-thought out, cloyingly sentimental: all the things Spielberg now stands for. Could it be rescued by dramatic revelations? I doubt it: the plodding acting, writing and directing aren't up to it. Only the creature animation is adequate.
  67. Aug 5, 2011
    The beginning episodes were dreadfully boring. I was expecting a lot more from this production. It isn't as high quality as I was looking for. The action and intensity was extremely low. I would sit and wonder, "When is something going to happen?" I will say that as the series has progressed and the relationships have evolved it has become more intriguing. Some plot elements leaveThe beginning episodes were dreadfully boring. I was expecting a lot more from this production. It isn't as high quality as I was looking for. The action and intensity was extremely low. I would sit and wonder, "When is something going to happen?" I will say that as the series has progressed and the relationships have evolved it has become more intriguing. Some plot elements leave questions in your head so you want to continue watching. I was about to give up on it until the final 3 episodes. It has really gotten better and I am ready to see the season finale. Expand
  68. Aug 3, 2011
    I have to say I love this series. I think the acting is fine, the story good and the presentation polished enough for TV. it's not the Walking Dead but it's entertaining and I can't wait to see the finale and season two.
  69. Aug 2, 2011
    This is a good show, I really enjoy it & I hope it lasts for many years to come. It's entertaining to say the least, acting is pretty good, and hey, it's got aliens.
  70. Aug 1, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a really cool show. At first I didn't think it was gonna be too good, but I saw it was executive produced by Steven Spielberg and started watching it. And I loved it. It's a really cool look at another way aliens could invade earth. Not with all that destruction and stuff. I enjoy it either way but its a good break off of the disaster alien invasion stuff. It really shows how a bunch of refugees can survive against an enemy of a whole different world by working together and good strategy. This show is a really cool interesting and extremely entertaining to watch and i watch it every week. Awesome show and I highly recommend it. Expand
  71. Aug 1, 2011
    Great show with an AMAZING cast. If you want simple aliens blowing everything up then this is not the show for you. But if you want a complex plot, plenty of twists and you don't mind a few cliches now and then, then I highly recommend this show. Stick with it for a couple of episodes as the plot starts off strong and can be confusing at times. With a second season already ordered theGreat show with an AMAZING cast. If you want simple aliens blowing everything up then this is not the show for you. But if you want a complex plot, plenty of twists and you don't mind a few cliches now and then, then I highly recommend this show. Stick with it for a couple of episodes as the plot starts off strong and can be confusing at times. With a second season already ordered the future looks bright for Falling Skies. Expand
  72. Jul 31, 2011
    It had better warm up pretty quickly or i'm afraid the big bad six legged cancellation monster is gonna come a'knocking on the shows front door.
    Its a shame i was really looking forward to this one. It seems that all sci fi shows since Lost, seem intent on stringing the audience along drip feed fashion.
  73. Jul 31, 2011
    The reason this show is so disappointing is because it's a hybrid of Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, but not nearly as good as either. The pace is way to slow. The characters make idiotic decisions to keep the story going. The show has wasted way too many episodes on the story arc of getting their kids back, being stupid enough to lose them, and then have to rescue themThe reason this show is so disappointing is because it's a hybrid of Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, but not nearly as good as either. The pace is way to slow. The characters make idiotic decisions to keep the story going. The show has wasted way too many episodes on the story arc of getting their kids back, being stupid enough to lose them, and then have to rescue them again. At least it has taken the place of V, another horrible attempt of a Sci-Fi show. Expand
  74. Jul 31, 2011
    personally, this is one of the shows i wait all week for. i find the action and suspense great and i like not knowing what to expect. i feel that with aliens, anything can happen.
  75. Jul 26, 2011
    This is a very run of mill post apocalyptic program. This is not a patch on Jericho or the waking dead. The characters are dull. The stories are generic to the max, and I don't care about any of the characters. I made it through 3.5 episodes before giving up.
  76. Jul 21, 2011
    If you're a fan of Sci-Fi, I highly recommend this show. Great special effects, enough mystery to keep you coming back for more, and the show is well-cast with very good acting. The pacing of the show is perfect; unlike with the rush-job of season two of Stargate Universe, the relationships between characters is given time to develop into something meaningful, and the action sequencesIf you're a fan of Sci-Fi, I highly recommend this show. Great special effects, enough mystery to keep you coming back for more, and the show is well-cast with very good acting. The pacing of the show is perfect; unlike with the rush-job of season two of Stargate Universe, the relationships between characters is given time to develop into something meaningful, and the action sequences are set far enough apart to keep the show away from being just about fighting aliens and make it much more of a post-apocalyptic drama, which is what it should be.

The designs of the aliens is original, so you wont feel like you're watching the TV version of Aliens, or Battle: LA. Apart from the "mechs" and "harnesses" put on the children, most of the alien technology has yet to be revealed, which as I stated before gives the show a certain mystery that keeps you coming back from more. The giant alien "bases" build over all the major cities (which you know will eventually be infiltrated by the resistance) is a perfect example of the show giving you a glimpse of something that you really want to know more about, but pulling back to tease you and build suspense.

While some of the plot may be predictable (how many shows these days are any different?), the majority of the story is highly original and the writers have taken this show in a very original direction for a show about an alien invasion. Also, you feel very involved in the "resistance" and it's goals, which I have to give props to the writers for pulling off. At the beginning of the show the humans are very ignorant of how to deal with the aliens. Killing them is hard, missions go wrong, and fighting the "mechs" is straight-up suicide. Slowly though they learn more and more about the invaders and what they're doing, and more importantly how to kill them. Well, at least how to deal with the "skitters"; the "mechs" are still best avoided at all costs, unless you enjoy getting fragged. I'm sure as the show progresses though, the "mechs" will get theirs. Hopefully. The show has such smart writing that things could go very wrong for the "resistance" and the civilians they are protecting and there would still be a great show to watch.

By the way, from the start you get a feeling of the developing animosity between the "fighters" and civilians. Just another plot point that could turn things very interesting in future episodes.

I really hope that more people will give this show a chance and as far as this site goes, give it the scores and reviews it deserves. With the cancellation of SGU there is a serious lack of good Sci-Fi on TV right now and I hope Falling Skies' popularity and ratings remain high enough so that it's renewed for additional seasons in the future. The potential of this show is huge, and with good writing, producing, and consideration of fan input, this show could be a classic.
  77. Jul 20, 2011
    Falling Skies has an interesting and creative premise. Too bad the execution is so, well, stupid. The army officers do not follow army protocol, they do not know exhibit any army or common sensical expertise, much less how to set up a perimeter, and treat the civilians like dogs. Really Spielberg? Really?

Is this supposed to be great TV? The silliness extends everywhere in every episode.

Is this supposed to be great TV?

The silliness extends everywhere in every episode. These people are supposed to be fighting for their lives. Losing the doctor was a horror show of stupidity and unrealistic drama. Can't there at least be one smart guy in the room, or this just in general bad writing?

Good lord.
  78. Jul 19, 2011
    Dreadful. For a kick off, the best thing about a season 1 premier, especially a sci-fi one, is that you usually get a good chuck of a 'Genesis' story line to set the scene. So I was looking forward to a good story and some nice visuals depicting how the characters in this story first encountered the aliens. No chance. instead we are brought up to speed with a childs view of the events andDreadful. For a kick off, the best thing about a season 1 premier, especially a sci-fi one, is that you usually get a good chuck of a 'Genesis' story line to set the scene. So I was looking forward to a good story and some nice visuals depicting how the characters in this story first encountered the aliens. No chance. instead we are brought up to speed with a childs view of the events and the visuals are provided by kids drawings of aliens shooting folks. I suppose it's supposed to be thought provoking and edgy, but I just saw it as a blatant effort to save on an FX budget. And on a whole the FX shots that we do get are pretty poor. The plots are rubbish too. This is just a bunch of no-body actors walking around fields and derelict houses with dirty faces and guns. Rubbish. Don't waste your time Expand
  79. Jul 18, 2011
    Great show, well paced. It took a couple episodes for this series to really grab hold, but now after the first 5 I am hooked. There are 1 or 2 characters that I feel may have been mis-cast but the majority are spot on. Do yourself a favor and watch a few episodes, if it doesn't suck you in, no harm no foul. Speaking for myself, once an episode ends, I immediately want the next to start.Great show, well paced. It took a couple episodes for this series to really grab hold, but now after the first 5 I am hooked. There are 1 or 2 characters that I feel may have been mis-cast but the majority are spot on. Do yourself a favor and watch a few episodes, if it doesn't suck you in, no harm no foul. Speaking for myself, once an episode ends, I immediately want the next to start. Watching the pilot I wasn't sure if they could get me to care about Tom and his children, they succeeded.

I love sci-fi but hate the stereotypical cheese that so often accompanies it. I am very thankful cheese isn't on the menu for Falling Skies. I'll take a good sci-fi drama any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Hope you enjoy this show as much as I do.
  80. Jul 16, 2011
    It's another generic alien invasion show where a bunch of survivors struggle to make their way out of an alien-infested city, but Falling Skies was done well enough that I enjoyed it regardless.
  81. Jul 13, 2011
    Not bad. The series showed a lot of promise in the 1st episode, but the 2nd one was really slow and plodding. Don't need to be reminded every 5 minutes about how "hard" the invasion is on all the kids by constantly going back to them.

The show is missing some urgency and suspense. Humans are supposed to be facing extinction, but they never seem to be in much danger. The 3rd episode does show some hope tho.
  82. Jul 13, 2011
    Pilot double header was OK, but subsequent episodes have been duller and duller. The characters tend to hang around being mopey or doing stupid things. The potentially interesting story line of what the bugs are doing on earth, why they are so hostile and how they have such an extraordinary grasp of human biology that they can enslave children with a "harness" is playing out excruciatinglyPilot double header was OK, but subsequent episodes have been duller and duller. The characters tend to hang around being mopey or doing stupid things. The potentially interesting story line of what the bugs are doing on earth, why they are so hostile and how they have such an extraordinary grasp of human biology that they can enslave children with a "harness" is playing out excruciatingly slowly. The rest is sentimental and dull and annoying. Expand
  83. Jul 12, 2011
    This showed some promise when it got started but things go lame real quick. After a few episodes we discover the Roach-like aliens don't really have a motive other than killing people and having their robots blow stuff up. And none of that is any exciting. But what's really unsettling is all the religious ideology. Tough love, redemption and an eye for an eye are common narratives. TheThis showed some promise when it got started but things go lame real quick. After a few episodes we discover the Roach-like aliens don't really have a motive other than killing people and having their robots blow stuff up. And none of that is any exciting. But what's really unsettling is all the religious ideology. Tough love, redemption and an eye for an eye are common narratives. The last episode I watched had the latina girl at the table holding hands for a prayer session. And the kids with the alien attachments are nothing more than a metaphor for drugs and premarital sex. They walk around all doped up neglecting their loved ones. Heeeelarious! Expand
  84. Jul 11, 2011
    Again... another good scifi idea so wrong used.
  85. Jul 8, 2011
    Yes it was a alien and I hate Alien shows but this one stood out. A great drama with a great twist of the alien concept, good show.and I highly recommend it.
  86. Jul 7, 2011
    Wow - could the mainstream critics be more up the arse of Speilberg? Because that's the only way to make sense of the discrepancy between them and the user scores. This was the most disappointing and boring pilot I've seen in a long time. Everything about it just seemed to strike the wrong note. The premise makes little sense- as others have mentioned, what alien species that couldWow - could the mainstream critics be more up the arse of Speilberg? Because that's the only way to make sense of the discrepancy between them and the user scores. This was the most disappointing and boring pilot I've seen in a long time. Everything about it just seemed to strike the wrong note. The premise makes little sense- as others have mentioned, what alien species that could take over the planet then doesn't finish the job? And having Noah Wylie walking around talking about the numerous times in history during which small groups of people fought off a larger enemy seemed utterly desperate. And it was SAPPY too. The acting was poor and even some of the casting was pretty crap. (that guy that is leading their unit- he plays the same guy in every show he's in and they are always really annoying) You don't really see much alien action and what action you do see is often in a darkened atmosphere so they can get away with CGI sloppiness. The alien design has been stolen too.. I can't remember from what other show or movie, but I've definitely seen those before. Very rarely do I give up on a show that I was interested in after only one episode but I feel justified in it on this one. Expand
  87. Jul 6, 2011
    Forgot to score it. This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was hoping for more, but will probably watch it anyway. (Spoilers follow) What's good: So far, Noah Wyle. What's not good: The aliens are lame and boring. The "skitters" or "skidders" look like "Yoda." The "mechs" stomp around like giant metal chickens with weaponry borrowed from "Predator," but take forever to aimForgot to score it. This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was hoping for more, but will probably watch it anyway. (Spoilers follow) What's good: So far, Noah Wyle. What's not good: The aliens are lame and boring. The "skitters" or "skidders" look like "Yoda." The "mechs" stomp around like giant metal chickens with weaponry borrowed from "Predator," but take forever to aim and still can't seem to hit their targets (a lot like Star Wars). (If an organism has technology advanced enough to travel to Earth it should have more advanced weaponry don't you think?). The team goes on a dangerous mission to an armory to get weapons and they take along a kid who puts the whole team in jeopardy when he goes running in direct sight of a "mech" to save his puppy. Should have been shot. The kid not the puppy. And then the father sees his son who has been turned into an alien zombie automatons and again puts everyone in jeopardy by yelling and screaming for him knowing that the bad guys will hear him and come a running. In general, most of the characters are stupid. And, yes, as someone else mentioned, the girl who is always preaching about god is very annoying. And the "skidders" sleeping like vampire bats under the overpass was really stupid too. The came all the way from another solar system. Don't you think they would find a nice hotel room to hang around in instead? Expand
  88. Jul 4, 2011
    This show is a perfect example of how scifi should not be made. It tries to mix generic unintelligent drama with scifi which is by design something designed for intelligent receivers. You can not mix this, scifi fans do not need cheap drama and underdeveloped characters, while drama lovers do not need scifi. Until this way of making scifi series change, they will keep ending as cancelledThis show is a perfect example of how scifi should not be made. It tries to mix generic unintelligent drama with scifi which is by design something designed for intelligent receivers. You can not mix this, scifi fans do not need cheap drama and underdeveloped characters, while drama lovers do not need scifi. Until this way of making scifi series change, they will keep ending as cancelled cliffhangers, which is the direction this show is also taking. Expand
  89. Jul 4, 2011
    As of now this show is just above terrible. I wanted to like it. I'm still trying to like it but the direction is really bad, the actors should be ashamed. V was way better and BSG put this to shame.
  90. Jul 3, 2011
    Decent show, but that one girl that has to talk about god in every conversation is pretty annoying. No problem with her being religious, it just makes the show feel pretty preachy.
  91. Jul 2, 2011
    the last 'spielberg' sci fi show I watched (taken) was great, and I had hopes for this one. but I was disappointed almost instantly. the characters acting is really bad, and the special effects of the show are not better. the atmosphere is too nicely for the kind of situation those people are in. the people almost seem as if they are not afraid at all. There is no suspence, nothing gory.the last 'spielberg' sci fi show I watched (taken) was great, and I had hopes for this one. but I was disappointed almost instantly. the characters acting is really bad, and the special effects of the show are not better. the atmosphere is too nicely for the kind of situation those people are in. the people almost seem as if they are not afraid at all. There is no suspence, nothing gory. Quite boring all in all.
    UPDATE: well, after watching two more episodes, I change my rating from 3 to 0 points for this show.
  92. Jun 29, 2011
    The pilot launch of Falling Skies (containing the first two actual episodes) is not even close to being innovative or especially original. But it does pack two solid hours of entertainment and adventure into its post-apocalyptic alien invasion storyline. The cast is mostly effective and effort is clearly being made to give these characters depth without focusing too much on mysteries andThe pilot launch of Falling Skies (containing the first two actual episodes) is not even close to being innovative or especially original. But it does pack two solid hours of entertainment and adventure into its post-apocalyptic alien invasion storyline. The cast is mostly effective and effort is clearly being made to give these characters depth without focusing too much on mysteries and plot devices. It's not the best thing on TV, but it's worth watching. Score: 8/10

UPDATE: The third episode of Falling Skies continues with the same quality of the pilot. It's solid if not spectacular. The show hasn't done anything to turn off viewers that liked the pilot but it will need to crank out some twists and turns to keep the momentum going. Score: 8/10
  93. Jun 28, 2011
    Three episodes in: Treacle upon ill-considered premise upon ill-advised plot maneuvers all wrapped up in a heap of sci-fi and post-apocalypse cliches and barely shimmering fx. This show makes Walking Dead look real good even if it isn't.
  94. Jun 27, 2011
    I should know by now to expect a Spielberg sci-fi show to be full of bad-acting kids, bad science, marginal special effects, and sappy dialogue. In fact, I think Spielberg ruined "Super 8" as well along these lines. (Abrams, you did fine with Cloverfield, you DON"T NEED SPIELBERG!)

Take Battlestar Galactica (new) (yes, we have Cylons and Baltar on land), merge with Robert Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters", add kiddies, remove all good actors/acting, water down the violence and drama, and slash the budget. And throw in the name of a former director has-been who was relevant 35 years ago.

This should have been made by Joss Whedon if you wanted a great series.
  95. Jun 27, 2011
    My new favorite show. And for all you people writing poor review, i guarantee its because you only watched the first episode..... I will admit the first episode was rather bland, but it got much better at the end and there was much more action. Just keep watching
  96. Jun 27, 2011
    Below par on all levels. The dialogue is oversimplified. The CG is poor. The plots are recycled. With the exception of the Pope character, the characters are generic, plagued by stiff acting. It basically says "NBC" on all levels. Falling Skies has very obviously attempted to replicate elements of Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, which are some great shows to emulate.Below par on all levels. The dialogue is oversimplified. The CG is poor. The plots are recycled. With the exception of the Pope character, the characters are generic, plagued by stiff acting. It basically says "NBC" on all levels. Falling Skies has very obviously attempted to replicate elements of Battlestar Galactica and The Walking Dead, which are some great shows to emulate. Unfortunately, the show fails to deliver even a fraction of the quality. Expand
  97. Jun 27, 2011
    This show is brilliant in its idiocy. On first look, nothing makes sense at all in this show. But if we take a moment and look deeper we find that all of this not-making-sense stuff actually, when taken as a whole... makes no sense.

In a world where billions are dead, apparently the doctor who figured a way to remove the harnesses from the children by using a blowtorch (using a blow torch so near to skin definitely wouldn't burn said skin), also knows the "professor," in fact they apparently were friends! And not only that, this doctor apparently hid while the aliens invaded leaving the professor's wife to die alone in the street. The professor is able to figure all this out because he somehow found his wife's body after the invasion and she had a bag near her that was very, very heavy (so heave she couldn't carry it on her own), so the conclusion must be the doctor left her to die! Such drama! Oh yeah aliens are killing off all of humanity too.

The criminal the 2nd Mass captured complained so vocally about the food that they decided to make him... the cook! Thank God, because the whole theme of how the food they was being prepared was driving me crazy with anticipation. I can't wait to see what he cooks up for the rag tag 2nd Mass next! Luckily the military leader of the 2nd Mass is smart enough to take time away from trying to survive, protect the civilians, train his "fighters" and kill aliens, to oversee this criminal as head cook. Thank God the military knows how to prioritize! Oh yeah aliens are still killing off all of humanity too.

Some people think harnessing children, turning them into zombified kids and having them collect scrap metal is silly. I disagree. This is a wonderful plot point! As everyone knows, aliens are huge do-it-yourselfers - just look at how passionate they are about their DIY Earth Invasion! For the aliens, Earth is DIYer's dream planet! And what better way to collect all that yummy scrap metal than by using zombified children! OK, sure, using advanced machinery (or a magnet) would be far more efficient and wouldn't require taking robocop guards away from slaughtering the rest of humanity - but DIYing isn't always about efficiency, it's also about fun! And what's more fun than invading a planet, wiping out the civilization and turning children into zombies who collect the scrap metal? I hear in episode 7 they're going to display some of the alien's art work.

These aliens are also smart when it comes to getting paid by the networks. For example, when the robocops fire weapons at people behind barricades they use bullets that ricochet harmlessly away. When they see the professor, unprotected in the street, they fire missiles. Luckily the missiles, fired point blank, don't kill or even seriously wound the professor. They also wisely don't kill the show's "stars," instead they "stun" the show's "stars." By not killing the "stars" the aliens can keep the show running longer which will mean way bigger residual checks when it goes into syndication on SYFY.

I think the aliens also have aq bit of the matchmaker in them. See I think the aliens saw that the professor and the doctor would like each other. So they planned this invasion to bring those two together. I mean if I knew two people should be together and I was a member of an alien race with far superior technology, I'd invade a planet, kill billions and destroy their civilization if I thought it would help a couple of people hook up. Well, if they lived on a planet with plenty of DIY scrap metal I would anyway.

Anyway, brilliant show. I hope the writers can maintain this level of quality throughout.
  98. Jun 25, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished watching the pilot, and here are a few thoughts on what I have seen so far. First, the story premise is interesting, but I would really like to see something more than an armed rabble taking on aliens who are obviously militarily superior in every way. As one of the characters noted, what we really need is a B-2 with nukes to go after that alien skyscraper hovering over Boston. Hey, even the Mujahedin had Stingers.

I like the cast. One very pleasant surprise was the appearance of Colin Cunningham, one of my favorite villains from "Da Vinci's Inquest." I was so entertained by his version of an outlaw psycho that I was even willing to forgive the various plot manipulations that allowed him to remain among the living. In real life, poor Colin would have been hanging from the nearest lamp post by now, little lamented by his captors.

Another pleasant surprise was the appearance of Moon Bloodgood, who has to be the hottest A-10 pilot ever ("Terminator Salvation") and is very watchable as a post-Apocalyptic doctor. Hopefully she will continue to have a major role in the series.

One of my pet peeves is the appearance, yet again, of undisciplined and overly emotional teenagers (this seems to be an obligatory plot device in the "Earth vs. Aliens" genre). If it was up to me, every time they asked to run off and take on the aliens all by themselves, I would say "Go right ahead!", and pray that they all got killed off as quickly as possible. I understand that "Falling Skies" has to appeal to the teenage demographic, but couldn't the current crop of teen warriors at least be endowed with a little more common sense? After all, they did survive the virtual extermination of the human race. You might think that would have taught them something. Finally, one intriguing comment, made by Colin, I believe, is a question as to why the skitters have six legs but the mechs only have two. This raises the interesting possibility that maybe the skitters are not the master race, but that there might be some other group of aliens out there in charge of things. I certainly hope so. Negotiating with skitters can only be done through the barrel of a gun, or perhaps a big can of Raid. On balance, although the show definitely has room to improve, it's good enough to keep watching, and I very much hope it will be successful.
  99. Jun 25, 2011
    Very, very generic, cliche'd and they even have stereo typical black guys. So white folk can feel good that black people having been included! Yay! There's also 1 Asian, yay! Beside the racial quota filling in generic ethnic roles that Caucasian's aren't allowed to portray.. It's all family **** and not what I expected.. I hope the aliens win. The Walking Dead is 110% more realisticallyVery, very generic, cliche'd and they even have stereo typical black guys. So white folk can feel good that black people having been included! Yay! There's also 1 Asian, yay! Beside the racial quota filling in generic ethnic roles that Caucasian's aren't allowed to portray.. It's all family **** and not what I expected.. I hope the aliens win. The Walking Dead is 110% more realistically written. Which was what I was hoping for... An alien invasion version of The Walking Dead. I felt like I needed to strap a bow tie to my hair, put on a pink dress and suck a lollipop by the end of this show. Here's the math... Generic+Stereo typing+Idiocy+Family+Family Dog+Aliens+Ugly people all dead+Doc Carter= Falling Skies.. Sesame Street is more hardcore.

I was really looking forward to this show.. For people that want a less sillier review... I'll grant you one.
    This series is aimed towards a family audience and when you do that.. There are about 50% of scenarios and language that you cannot use. Realism cannot be successfully portrayed here.
    The characters are generic and nobody is outstanding. The acting is ok but clearly everybody seems to have graduated from day time TV acting school. Even Will Patton is average and this guy was great. Noah Wyle is just Noah Wyle.. the rest you can take it or leave it..
    Judging from the pilot, I doubt we will see much alien activity as the show will aim towards the usual "we are the our own worst enemy" type of story.... To save on budget I guess. I agree we are our worst enemy but it would be nice to see something different. Just about everything on this show is too predictable and clumsy. Top it up with average writing and acting, then Falling Skies will not last long at all.

I'll watch it all though due to fact it's still going to better than all the cop shows, hospital and law dramas out there. Though if it doesn't improve I will have to abandon it. It's not looking good because the pilot is where most most of the money is spent and where some of the best stuff is written before they run out of steam.
  100. Jun 24, 2011
    Pretty good show. Not sure why everyone in here is hating it. 1's and 3's come on. Its not that bad. I thought it was pretty enjoyable to watch for a tv show, that isn't amc/hbo.

1. Reviewed by: Curt Wagner
    Aug 1, 2011
    Falling Skies, although competently directed, acted and sometimes written, goes off on more than a few tangents and paint-by-numbers subplots of the genre. It's best when it sticks to the main thread, and that's the battle for survival and to learn what the six-legged freaks are doing with the children.
  2. Reviewed by: Jonathan Storm
    Jun 20, 2011
    Falling Skies generates its own excitement, very much worth the ride, like Lost and Jericho, to watch characters develop as they struggle under confusing and life-threatening circumstances.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jun 20, 2011
    The characters lack the depth of those in smarter, premium cable dramas like "The Walking Dead," but they do show some growth as the series goes on. What Falling Skies does best is create a sense of the struggle for survival.