Fargo : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 15, 2014
Season #: 1, 2, 3
9.0

1. Aug 27, 2017
    At series big name, and here he not such already as original movie. The quite good detective, but is too much nuances. As the detective story series has turned out mediocre and ridiculous. Sometimes action reaches to the point of absurdity, but it is the tragicomedy. Acting is excellent, Freeman has played perfectly. But the told story is too simple and monotonous, and the final opinionAt series big name, and here he not such already as original movie. The quite good detective, but is too much nuances. As the detective story series has turned out mediocre and ridiculous. Sometimes action reaches to the point of absurdity, but it is the tragicomedy. Acting is excellent, Freeman has played perfectly. But the told story is too simple and monotonous, and the final opinion spoils from the crumpled ending. It is too ridiculous and boring against the background of the main action of the events in series. I haven't understood why all so praise series and such high ratings. Expand
  2. Aug 24, 2017
    'Fargo' es una de las series más brillantes que he visto nunca. Siempre me ha costado un poco más ver esta primera temporada que las demás. Es verdad, que al principio (y más si no eres un habitual de los Coen) puede hacerse algo rara tanto la trama como el humor que imprime a veces la serie. Esta temporada no me parece ni mucho menos una obra maestra como han calificado muchos ni mucho'Fargo' es una de las series más brillantes que he visto nunca. Siempre me ha costado un poco más ver esta primera temporada que las demás. Es verdad, que al principio (y más si no eres un habitual de los Coen) puede hacerse algo rara tanto la trama como el humor que imprime a veces la serie. Esta temporada no me parece ni mucho menos una obra maestra como han calificado muchos ni mucho menos la mejor de la serie, más bien la más floja (esto es en términos relativos, ya que "flojo" asociado a Fargo puede ser caviar para otras). Lo que si es verdad, es que esta temporada cuenta con uno de los personajes más fascinantes, fríos y sádicos que he visto nunca a través de una pantalla. La temporada empieza muy arriba, luego es lenta en el desarrollo, a veces de excede, y luego la recta final acelera dejando un nivelazo. En definitiva, es la primera y la que está basada en la película original, lo que quizá la hizo un poco de "losa" pero es un genial comienzo para la serie y es la que empieza todo, pero repito que a mí es claramente la que menos me gusta. Expand
  3. Jul 28, 2017
    While its narrative momentum dwindles in the middle, Fargo’s freshman season is a largely triumphant black comedy–crime drama experiment. The show beautifully expands and honours the world created by the film without ever retreading the plot and characters, as well as introducing an ensemble of well-acted, well-developed new characters & a clever plot to inhibit TV screens.
  4. Jul 27, 2017
    Fargo is one of my favorite shows, due to its suspenseful story, great characters and this always present slight touch of humor. The show took all that was remarkable and great about the movie Fargo, like the unconventional setting and its people with their weird accent and bland personalities, and built a great story around it. If that was not enough to make for a brilliant show, theFargo is one of my favorite shows, due to its suspenseful story, great characters and this always present slight touch of humor. The show took all that was remarkable and great about the movie Fargo, like the unconventional setting and its people with their weird accent and bland personalities, and built a great story around it. If that was not enough to make for a brilliant show, the creators also show great creativity in cinematography and manage to give an interesting and refreshing touch to the typical scenes of murders and interrogations, which we have seen countless times before. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2017
    Fargo is a police-thriller-drama show released by FX.
    I always liked the old film fargo so I was curious how was the TV show and it's one of the best shows at the moment.
    The story in this season has great suspense, great humour and great characters. The characters have great development especially Lester who took an unexpected turn and made the show so much more interesting, and like
    Fargo is a police-thriller-drama show released by FX.

The story in this season has great suspense, great humour and great characters.
    The characters have great development especially Lester who took an unexpected turn and made the show so much more interesting, and like I mentioned, this show is funny which is good because it would've been pretty depressing if it took itself so seriously.

Just watch it, it's everything I want a Tv show to be, it feels like a 10 hour long movie and it's very bingeable, I highly recommend it.
  6. Jun 22, 2017
    I really enjoyed all shows from all 3 seasons. The last episode of season 3.....the last scene with Agent Burgle and the criminal. They left the audience hanging as to what happened to this guy. And it's supposed to be a true story, EXACTLY AS IT HAPPENED. So I didn't like the ending at all...keeping the audience hanging in suspense. Also, she said she was going to take her son to theI really enjoyed all shows from all 3 seasons. The last episode of season 3.....the last scene with Agent Burgle and the criminal. They left the audience hanging as to what happened to this guy. And it's supposed to be a true story, EXACTLY AS IT HAPPENED. So I didn't like the ending at all...keeping the audience hanging in suspense. Also, she said she was going to take her son to the state fair the next day on his birthday. In a prior scene, her son said he was 13 years old...then they show a scene about Stussy getting mudered FIVE YEARS LATER.....then in the last scene, she told the criminal that happened THREE YEARS PRIOR. So that would make her son 21 YEARS OLD. And she's taking him to the state fair for his birthday? That sounds a little strange. Expand
  7. May 24, 2017
    Fargo deserves a high score n it's first outing for originality and character development, Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman are class acts here. It's very pretty, the icy beauty of the north we don’t get see much of normally. It has a touch of Northern Exposure quirkiness, the accents, the weird blend of violence and comedy with a sprinkle of philosophy. It weakens in the middle butFargo deserves a high score n it's first outing for originality and character development, Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman are class acts here. It's very pretty, the icy beauty of the north we don’t get see much of normally. It has a touch of Northern Exposure quirkiness, the accents, the weird blend of violence and comedy with a sprinkle of philosophy. It weakens in the middle but finishes well. Expand
  8. Jun 29, 2016
    This show is smart, sophisticated, dark, sinister, fun and better than any show that's been on HBO in decades.
    RIP HBO.... there's so many other better shows now on cable networks for FREE.
  9. Jun 1, 2016
    İzlediğim En Keyifli Karamizah Yapımı
    Noah Hawley, Coen kardeşlerin yapımı olan Fargo 1996'dan kat ve kat daha iyi bir iş çıkarmış. Filmde olmayan iyi bir hikâyeyi, kaliteli mizahı ve unutulmaz bir karakteri ekliyor. Bunun dışında da ortaya çok iyi bir bütünlük koyuyor.Bu sebeplerden ötürü de karamizah sevmeyen bir insanı bile bağlıyabiliyor bu dizi. Bu gerçekten büyük bir başarı.
    İzlediğim En Keyifli Karamizah Yapımı
  10. Apr 23, 2016
    Excellent! Not very often I give a TV series a 10, but this deserves it (Actually give it a 9.8 but 10 will do). The show is just well written and thought-out. So many shows seem like they think of the episodes on the go (see How To Get Away With Murder, and a host of others) but this show has such a cohesive plot, it's hard to pick at it. Sure, some parts have minor plot-holes (like howExcellent! Not very often I give a TV series a 10, but this deserves it (Actually give it a 9.8 but 10 will do). The show is just well written and thought-out. So many shows seem like they think of the episodes on the go (see How To Get Away With Murder, and a host of others) but this show has such a cohesive plot, it's hard to pick at it. Sure, some parts have minor plot-holes (like how lucky some characters are in some situations, or how convenient a few situations are) but these are very minimal in this show. The show could be a little dark and sadistic for some, but that adds to it's realness and makes me love it the more. A must watch. now time to binge season 2. Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2016
    Watchable, but not great. I'm not sure how anyone could think this really deserves a 10.

Pros: Most of the acting is great. Cons: The music is absolutely horrible. At worst, I shouldn't notice the music. At best, it should enhance the show. But here, it's s constant distraction and doesn't seem to have any cohesion at all. It certainly doesn't match what the show is apparently

Pros: Most of the acting is great.

Cons: The music is absolutely horrible. At worst, I shouldn't notice the music. At best, it should enhance the show. But here, it's s constant distraction and doesn't seem to have any cohesion at all. It certainly doesn't match what the show is apparently trying to achieve.

It repeats itself, and I don't mean for the trademark Fargo-style way of talking for comedic effect. I mean the same characters have the same interactions with the same other characters saying the same thing.

For me, the odd simultaneous "artsy" shots in season 2 take away from the show.

The writing seems poor.

The characters are generally unlikeable.

The names. "Solverson?" Really? Did John Waters write this?
  12. Feb 29, 2016
    I didn't expect much from it but still it could do better. What we have here is a rather poor achievement, compared with Coen brothers stuff it looks meager even if it's desperately trying (is it?) to stay on the level. Regretfully, the more it tries, the more a disparaging difference is clear, when in Coen brothers movie we have something masterful and ingenious, here we have insteadI didn't expect much from it but still it could do better. What we have here is a rather poor achievement, compared with Coen brothers stuff it looks meager even if it's desperately trying (is it?) to stay on the level. Regretfully, the more it tries, the more a disparaging difference is clear, when in Coen brothers movie we have something masterful and ingenious, here we have instead something soggy and phony, a clumsy imitation.

First of all, it's not a dark comedy, it's not funny, even if the contrast between Martin Freeman's overacting ( his worst performance as far as I can judge ) and Billy Bob Thornton's underacting ( his worst performance as far as I can judge ) may be somehow entertaining. Lester embodied by Martin Freeman is getting less and less plausible as events unfold, sometimes he's plunging in a total idiocy and shows a complete lack of self-control and then again he's a cold-blooded, shrewd, well-calculating, impeccable perpetrator without fail and remorse. Other characters also are made mostly of different kinds of stretches and improbabilities. If seen apart, some scenes may be credible and even enjoyable, but as a whole, the plot is a forced attempt to botch together several spectacular killings and a dozen of poor jokes scattered here and there without any claim for plausibility and logic. No, it's not an intelligently elaborated psychological criminal drama as well, have no illusions.

Almost everything that is good ripped off from brothers Coen classic movie - an ambiance, nature, some streaks of characters, some shades, moods, undertones. There are a couple of good scenes, a deaf guy is amazing, photography is rather well-staged, especially outdoor views... But these rare bits of merit don't make up for all disastrous fails and blunders that evidently prevail.

For a Coen brothers buff, it's a disastrous disappointment.
  13. Feb 21, 2016
    This is an excellent show. Television at its best. Fantastic cast, great script and awesome cinematography. I am always enthusiastic about a great drama with action and Fargo doesn't fail in any way.
  14. Feb 13, 2016
    Its way too long... there's absolutely no reason for it to be a 10 episode series. At max this should be told in 4 tops 5 episodes. The acting is ofcourse top class but why o why would you want to stretch this thing out so much. And the conclusion is just a lame duck.
  15. Jan 18, 2016
    I am shocked by all the good reviews of this show. With the exception of Billy Bob Thornton's character, everyone in the show is stupid and most have the emotional maturity of a spoiler 10th grader. If I were from MN, I would be insulted by the way this movie portrays everyone as simple-minded. The movie (which I loved) made gentle fun of the MN accents but the show is mean-spirited.I am shocked by all the good reviews of this show. With the exception of Billy Bob Thornton's character, everyone in the show is stupid and most have the emotional maturity of a spoiler 10th grader. If I were from MN, I would be insulted by the way this movie portrays everyone as simple-minded. The movie (which I loved) made gentle fun of the MN accents but the show is mean-spirited.

By contrast, Billy Bob Thornton is omnipotent. While he's fun to watch, there's also not much suspense if you know he can talk his way out of any situation.

Several of the reviews say that the cop, Molly, is a smart cop foiled by a stupid boss. While her boss is unbelievably stupid, Molly is frustratingly stupid. She harasses her main suspect, collecting "evidence" that would be thrown out of any court. She fails to say the obvious. She dismisses her boss' theory, even though it is technically accurate. In the movie, Francis McDormand's character follows the evidence systematically. By contrast, Molly is like a bull in a china shop. She develops a theory, considers no alternatives, and has no regard for procedures.

In short, the show is stylish but stupid.
  16. Jan 6, 2016
    I really liked the series at first, up until the 6th episode when everything just falls apart. The first few episodes were excellent and I couldn't wait to see the next episode but half way through the series, the plot takes a nosedive into absolute implausibility and all the clichéd characters, dumb as a box of rocks police characters, plot conveniences and plot holes just pile up to theI really liked the series at first, up until the 6th episode when everything just falls apart. The first few episodes were excellent and I couldn't wait to see the next episode but half way through the series, the plot takes a nosedive into absolute implausibility and all the clichéd characters, dumb as a box of rocks police characters, plot conveniences and plot holes just pile up to the point that it just becomes too contrived to even suspend disbelief to follow the story. Great up until half way through the series, then the story just falls apart and I gave up after the 8th episode it was so contrived. Expand
  17. Dec 27, 2015
    A brilliant show filled with fantastic writing, direction, and acting. The story was wonderful and the show is ever so funny and ridiculous. Brilliant show.
  18. Nov 27, 2015
    Wonderfully entertaining: serious enough for raw crime drama yet, funny and whimsical enough to produce belly shaking laughter at just the right moment. Great cast and writing! Keep it up!
  19. Nov 13, 2015
    Fargo (Season 1) is about as good as TV gets. It boasts phenomenal acting, beautiful cinematography, an engaging plot, quirky characters and lots of humor.
  20. Nov 5, 2015
    Truly an amazing TV show. Billy Bob Thornton did a fantastic job playing the role of Lorne Malvo, who is one of the most interesting and mischievous villains I have seen on any TV show. The score fits extremely well into the show and helps build tension and give more feel to scenes. While being a more serious drama, the writing is very well done and comedy is nicely infused to give theTruly an amazing TV show. Billy Bob Thornton did a fantastic job playing the role of Lorne Malvo, who is one of the most interesting and mischievous villains I have seen on any TV show. The score fits extremely well into the show and helps build tension and give more feel to scenes. While being a more serious drama, the writing is very well done and comedy is nicely infused to give the audience some nice chuckles. An absolute must watch TV show! Expand
  21. WJS
    Sep 16, 2015
    I loved the way this show capture the spirit of the original movie even with its changes in cast, characters and story. It's very well acted, written and directed and feels very cinematic in style. Kudos to all involved!
  22. Sep 4, 2015
    Retaining the same (very) dark sense of humour as the movie on which it is based Fargo is one of the best series I've seen in a good while. Aside from one or two occasions where it relies a little too much on convenient occurrences it is brilliantly written and features a fantastic cast and I watched the entire 10 episodes on Netflix in about 3 or 4 days as I just couldn't what to see whatRetaining the same (very) dark sense of humour as the movie on which it is based Fargo is one of the best series I've seen in a good while. Aside from one or two occasions where it relies a little too much on convenient occurrences it is brilliantly written and features a fantastic cast and I watched the entire 10 episodes on Netflix in about 3 or 4 days as I just couldn't what to see what was going to happen next. Expand
  23. Aug 20, 2015
    This does pass the ultimate test of merit for a TV show: Does it have you waiting for the next episode? Very stylish and quirky in the vein of the original film by the Coens capitalizing on the regional accents and culture. It's a little too cute at times, and some of the detail from the period is sloppy.
  24. Jun 18, 2015
    This show is on par with such great series as Breaking Bad and Homeland. The cast is simply great and Martin Freeman is a very compelling as Lester. The style is very original and violent which makes the series even more interesting to watch especially when dark moments are being intervened by the atmosphere of a small town which creates some dark humour.
  25. Jun 16, 2015
    Fargo, great movie eh,? Witty, well acted, choose your superlatives...If you have not seen it go do so now! As for the TV show, well, did you diligently keep on watching South Park while others tuned out over a decade ago? Do you use sandpaper in the lavatory? I could tell you how great Billy Bob Thornton is, but through my eyes he is still living down Chopper Chicks In Zombie Town, whichFargo, great movie eh,? Witty, well acted, choose your superlatives...If you have not seen it go do so now! As for the TV show, well, did you diligently keep on watching South Park while others tuned out over a decade ago? Do you use sandpaper in the lavatory? I could tell you how great Billy Bob Thornton is, but through my eyes he is still living down Chopper Chicks In Zombie Town, which btw, I would still recommend over this show. If you think I'm not funny, try watching the show! Expand
  26. May 27, 2015
    Wow! Una comedia negra deliciosa. Siempre sorprende. la ambientación magnifica y las actuaciones son geniales. Billy Bob Thornton (muy especialmente) y Martin Freeman, extraordinarios: Lorne Malvo, junto con Kai Proctor (Banshee) de los mejores "villanos" que he visto.
  27. Apr 28, 2015
    One of the Best TV Shows i have seen, made especially memorable by its cast
    Worthy of a day of binge watching and defined in its quality by having a known length and end date
  28. Apr 23, 2015
    It's worth watching though it's not the big deal that some of these reviews would suggest. It may be based on Fargo but it doesn't feel anything like it. The movie is increasingly claustrophobic. The t.v. show isn't, perhaps because it is much longer. If anything it reminded me of a second rate Twin Peaks. There's also some pretty poor casting. I'm not sure how I feel about expandingIt's worth watching though it's not the big deal that some of these reviews would suggest. It may be based on Fargo but it doesn't feel anything like it. The movie is increasingly claustrophobic. The t.v. show isn't, perhaps because it is much longer. If anything it reminded me of a second rate Twin Peaks. There's also some pretty poor casting. I'm not sure how I feel about expanding a movie into a t.v. show, is it creative or just further evidence of how exhausted the entertainment industry is? Expand
  29. Mar 19, 2015
    I must admit: the first time I heard or saw this show, it seemed boring and not worthy watching. But after finishing the first season I realized these:

Pros: - Pleasant story - Impecable actors - Representative faces for this show - Original intrigue Cons - Poor backstory - Clicheed ending Even though, this show is one of the few amongst the very much that impresses through

Pros:
    - Pleasant story
    - Impecable actors
    - Representative faces for this show
    - Original intrigue

Cons
    - Poor backstory
    - Clicheed ending

Even though, this show is one of the few amongst the very much that impresses through story, acting and interactions.
  30. Jan 11, 2015
    Nach Breaking Bad wieder eine richtig gute Serie, ohne Effekthascherei, mit intelligenter Story und tollen Darstellern. Klare Empfehlung dieser ersten Staffel
  31. Dec 25, 2014
    If you watched the Coen brothers movie "Fargo" and liked it, you will love this.
    It is pretty much a well-made 10 hours long version of the aforementioned movie that shines with very good acting and clever expanding of the initial plot-line.
  32. Dec 17, 2014
    Good shows are out there for those willing to watch them - and Fargo is one of them. Recapturing vibe from the Coen film, it casts us in a wintry whiteout of philosopher hitmen, murderous insurance salesmen and the obvious incompetent police, all surrounded by Minnesota nice and the dark humour from the source material. A brilliant cast, refined photography, and catchy score ensure theGood shows are out there for those willing to watch them - and Fargo is one of them. Recapturing vibe from the Coen film, it casts us in a wintry whiteout of philosopher hitmen, murderous insurance salesmen and the obvious incompetent police, all surrounded by Minnesota nice and the dark humour from the source material. A brilliant cast, refined photography, and catchy score ensure the success of Fargo. "Heck" is all one can say. Expand
  33. Dec 4, 2014
    People say the movie wasn't really a true story, but I remember the news story years before the movie ever came out, so at least the basics of the plot were true. The TV series is an entirely different story, different characters; it just finagles a way to work a pregnant cop and Fargo N. Dakota into the new tale to give it a flavor similar to the movie. It too says the story is true. ButPeople say the movie wasn't really a true story, but I remember the news story years before the movie ever came out, so at least the basics of the plot were true. The TV series is an entirely different story, different characters; it just finagles a way to work a pregnant cop and Fargo N. Dakota into the new tale to give it a flavor similar to the movie. It too says the story is true. But this time, not even the basics are true. It's totally made up. I gave the story a pass for some key coincidences that seemed cheap toward the end of season 1, based on my belief that it was a true story. I guess calling it true is a way to try to be forgiven for sloppy writing.

The season starts strong. About halfway through it flags for a couple of episodes, but picks up again for the last 4 episodes; but unfortunately those last episodes are marred by some very crappy coincidences that were hastily thrown into the script to bring things to closure at the end. Also, I would have preferred stronger character development of the cops involved, given the amount of time we spend with them. And Lester, he has no redeeming qualities. None. If he had been struggling a little internally. If we could have ever seen a glimpse of a good man long lost to overpowering weakness, he would have been much more interesting. But he was basically two dimensional, and no one with that much screen time should be two dimensional. He never wrestled or struggled with anything, except how to get away with what he did. He was just as much of a sociopath as Malvo. Problem is, once you get over the shock of what they do, sociopaths are boring. That's why in Dexter and Silence of the Lambs, the killers are not really written as sociopaths, even if they are called sociopaths in the movie. But in Fargo the TV series, Lester and Malvo were written as bona fide sociopaths. Thus the boredom (on my part) with their characters after the first couple of episodes.

Overall I give this a 7. The weaknesses are significant but the plot keeps you going and surprises do abound.
  34. Oct 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Series is boring as socks and full of unlikeable and stupid backwoods, of course there is Billy Bob but anything you know about him from the first scene is all that you ever get to know about him.
    During the first season it seems that they save the background stories and thrilling plots for the second but then this fu**in **** in my face End comes and shows me three wombats on a couch.
    "Can't wait for season two".
  35. Oct 2, 2014
    Честно, не знаю чем зацепил многих данный сериал... Хотя нет, знаю, но к сожалению мне он не приглянулся. Ставлю - 7, только за некоторые потрясающие сцены с Лестером.
  36. Sep 20, 2014
    Brilliant black comedy. This is what the Coen brothers do best. This may even be better than the movie. Yes the dialogue is a bit stretched and i'm sure Minnesotans don't say oh yaaaaa every 2min but it is still a unique and hilarious series.
  37. Sep 19, 2014
    This is a must-see if you have a fundamental understanding of good film/TV making. It's well written, brilliantly directed, artisticly beautiful, funny, painful and disturbing. All at once. Every scene gushes precision. Many scenes do things I have never seen before. Also, I read some of the bad reviews here, and I can say is don't trust them. You can tell they're the types not to enjoyThis is a must-see if you have a fundamental understanding of good film/TV making. It's well written, brilliantly directed, artisticly beautiful, funny, painful and disturbing. All at once. Every scene gushes precision. Many scenes do things I have never seen before. Also, I read some of the bad reviews here, and I can say is don't trust them. You can tell they're the types not to enjoy this type of production. Expand
  38. Sep 17, 2014
    The series starts pretty good, with nice mix of comedy and detective action, getting viewers to sympathize with protagonist, even despite what he/they have done. Unfortunately, the show takes nosedive in Vegas episode, with problems and contrived conveniences pilling up rapidly, culminating in convoluted ending.

I'm not sure if Coen brothers' involvement was the cause of this, but I'm

I'm not sure if Coen brothers' involvement was the cause of this, but I'm inclined to think so, considering their past works
  39. Sep 11, 2014
    Tiresome, slow and not at all exciting. What a waste of time. Will not be waiting for Season 2! Probably one of the worst I've ever watched- for all it's good reviews. Oh well!
  40. Aug 27, 2014
    I don't really understand the praise for this show. It was good, but it didn't blow me away. The pilot was incredible, and the final couple of episodes were as good, if not better. But I can't say I took away very much from everything in between.
  41. Aug 26, 2014
    I'm not sure why this is enjoyable if you have already seen the movie. If that's the case we all know what happens. Was tedious trying to watch a story I knew in advance. Acting is good and its well written, but the movie was already very good and watching this results in diminishing returns no matter how well its done.
  42. Aug 14, 2014
    A great TV-show with humor. Martin Freeman is great as Lester Nygaard. I really did feel sorry for him. The first episode was great and it had a good ending!!
  43. Aug 6, 2014
    Wow, all these good reviews.. This doesn't looks fake at all!
    This show is plain average. Some great performances especially by BBT but overall the writing is reeeeeally subpar, especially when you have to compare it to the goddamn Cohen brothers who are masters of this genre. It fails at drama, it fails at humor, it fails at being silly even. Oh and it fails at freaking logic.
    Good
    Wow, all these good reviews.. This doesn't looks fake at all!
    Good casting, poor dialogue and pacing, ok production values. A sad mixed bag, that could have been much more, but also much worse! It's decent, at the end of the day, but barrely.
  44. Aug 5, 2014
    The series starts off with possibly the greatest pilot ever and it stays just as good through out season 1. The series isn't as dark as the movie but still has the atmosphere and humor of the Coen Brother's 1996 classic. The film has great casting and great performances by all the actors. Billy Bob Thorton could play this role in his sleep, I wasn't too sure of Martin Freeman but all myThe series starts off with possibly the greatest pilot ever and it stays just as good through out season 1. The series isn't as dark as the movie but still has the atmosphere and humor of the Coen Brother's 1996 classic. The film has great casting and great performances by all the actors. Billy Bob Thorton could play this role in his sleep, I wasn't too sure of Martin Freeman but all my doubts went in the pilot, he delivers the BEST performance of his career. The show has great writing, brilliant humor and legendary performances, it really helps prove that in this day and age, TV is better than Movies. Expand
  45. Aug 4, 2014
    Top notch. Everything about this show is just that. With the departure of Breaking Bad, the void was surprisingly filled by True Detective, but to have a second show come along so quickly that is of BB caliber is pretty amazing.Can't say one bad thing about Fargo other than I'm not sure how i feel about a second season as the one and done approach is why, I believe, the writers were ableTop notch. Everything about this show is just that. With the departure of Breaking Bad, the void was surprisingly filled by True Detective, but to have a second show come along so quickly that is of BB caliber is pretty amazing.Can't say one bad thing about Fargo other than I'm not sure how i feel about a second season as the one and done approach is why, I believe, the writers were able to give is a masterpiece with each ensuing episode. Expand
  46. Aug 3, 2014
    Not my favorite show of the season. I have to say that it is good, though. The acting is great; I particularly loved Martin Freeman's and Allison Tolman's work. Watch it!
  47. Jul 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Has some similar looks with Breaking Bad, black humor, excessive violence, photography ..Billy Bob was amazing, Odenkirk too, but I think some scenes were little unreal, last scene, with his broken leg was incredible...but it captivates us without doubts. Expand
  48. Jul 22, 2014
    Absolutely amazing show. Perfectly cast. Brooding, dark, but cerebral instead of in your face. Shows the nature of humanity with some dark humor too. Show is better than almost any movie you could see, and there are 10 episodes already! Absolutely no reason not to binge watch immediately.
  49. Jul 20, 2014
    One of the best serie (maybe it's a miniserie) j've watched . There's everything dark humor ,sex , surrealism ,feelings..... all mixed in a story that keeps you in front of the screen floating in disbelief but at the same time curious and astonished.
  50. Jul 14, 2014
    Fantastic season of Television. The writing and acting are top-notch. There are some dull moments but "thee" big scenes make up for it. Bill Bob Thornton could and hopefully will win an Emmy for this because he is amazing in it.
  51. Jul 2, 2014
    This Tv show is simply over rated . I have watched all 10 episodes some how and it was moving like a snail most of the time. Credits be given to Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman for their impeccable acting else this would have been 2-3 rated show for me .
    I dont how most rated it so high, may be the movie was good but this one was simply a predictable story line with lotta ice here and there .Martin Freeman some times looked like he has stammering disease and then all of a sudden he is mr scarface planing and dealing dead bodies and ****
    The villian was acted as realistic by Billy Bob Thornton and the deputy role too was okay in the hands of Allison Tolman. Seeing the saul goodman of breaking bad, (Bob Odenkirk) in such a dull avatar was painfull, he is a guy suited for some energetic character and this one was the exact opposite of that. All in all, its just a watchable show , if you miss it nothing is gonna happen, simply over rated everywhere because of the old oscar winning movie
  52. Jul 1, 2014
    Intense dramatic climaxes with a steady build and solid acting. Billy Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo; a ridiculously good serial killer, is a true standout, no legendary performance and the show deserves a watch.
  53. Jun 30, 2014
    The pilot was interesting and it's a great good versus evil parable. The lead actress is refreshing and Billy Bob is terrific. After the pilot there are many eps that are slow, boring and poorly plotted. But it comes together in the end with a strong finish. Overall if it were half as long I'd like it twice as much. Many, many scenes about nothing. But then something cool happens.
  54. Jun 27, 2014
    A chilling dark comedy that is a stroke of genius. Noah Hawley has created something very special with Fargo, based in the same universe as the 90s classic. Billy Bob Thornton is excellent in this almost perfect show, as is Martin Freeman, Allison Tolman, Jokey King and Collin Hanks. 9.710 for Fargo.
  55. Jun 26, 2014
    I was sad when Breaking Bad ended and I thought nothing would be as good as BB. But then a TV show like this came along and I was wrong. This had me at the edge of my seat at every turn and the characters had feeling and personality in them like BB did with Walter White. The plot turns never had me confused and I always loved how they incorporated dark humor with the grim, killer vibeI was sad when Breaking Bad ended and I thought nothing would be as good as BB. But then a TV show like this came along and I was wrong. This had me at the edge of my seat at every turn and the characters had feeling and personality in them like BB did with Walter White. The plot turns never had me confused and I always loved how they incorporated dark humor with the grim, killer vibe they had. I enjoyed every minute of it and I personally thought it was better than Breaking Bad. The Coen Brothers delivered with this and I'm happy. Couldn't love another TV show more than this one. Expand
  56. Jun 25, 2014
    Easily my favorite show of all time. I've watched and seen over 40 shows fully through and this is the best. Excellent storytelling, acting, and pace. Billy Bob Thornton plays the best character in any show ever. You will love this show.
  57. Jun 23, 2014
    The best new TV show of 2014, "Fargo" is faithful to the Coen brothers in style and tone only and that's the only area where it counts. With fresh characters (embodied to perfection by an electrifying cast) and an original storyline, "Fargo" is both a homage to the original film and a reinvention. In its rich, seamless fusion of dark, ironic gallows comedy, intricately-crafted mystery,The best new TV show of 2014, "Fargo" is faithful to the Coen brothers in style and tone only and that's the only area where it counts. With fresh characters (embodied to perfection by an electrifying cast) and an original storyline, "Fargo" is both a homage to the original film and a reinvention. In its rich, seamless fusion of dark, ironic gallows comedy, intricately-crafted mystery, thrills and chills and full-blooded violence, Fargo is unpredictable, gut-wrenching and totally absorbing - mercilessly so. Expand
  58. Jun 23, 2014
    I wasn't expecting much from this show but after watching all 10 episodes, I am pleasantly surprised. The acting is phenomenal and it's one of those shows that makes you want to keep on watching. It may be a little slow in parts but the WOW moments really make up for it. I really hope there is a season 2 but it will have to be pretty good to match season 1.
  59. Jun 23, 2014
    On first viewing I thought, this is great. However, it is not great, and for me it does not work as a Black Comedy. As the series has progressed, the storyline has become gradually just plain stupid - not believable (not even suspended disbelief plausible) - I even find it annoying to watch now. For me, most of the central characters have unravelled as the story and the scenarios haveOn first viewing I thought, this is great. However, it is not great, and for me it does not work as a Black Comedy. As the series has progressed, the storyline has become gradually just plain stupid - not believable (not even suspended disbelief plausible) - I even find it annoying to watch now. For me, most of the central characters have unravelled as the story and the scenarios have disintegrated into an pile of rubble attempting to disguise itself as quirky. The historical captions at the start of each episode are now the only black comedy component left of this failing output... Expand
  60. Jun 22, 2014
    Fargo is by far one of the best shows I've seen. The acting is brilliant especially from Martin Freeman and Billy Bob Thornton. The story-lines are gripping as is the dialogue.Furthermore although it is dark it manages to put some effective humour in. It had left me craving more after each episode.
  61. Jun 18, 2014
    Truly some of the best T.V I have ever witnessed! If you're a fan of the original movie then you should give this a watch, quite possibly better than the movie and that's a damn good movie! I won't say much but I will say [practically everything about it it great. Fargo is must watch T.V No need to do a stand-out episode for this one, they're pretty much all great!
  62. Jun 18, 2014
    Absolutely amazing. Thorough character development. Excellent plot. Awesome acting all around.

Best show ive seen outside of pay per view channels since breaking bad. Easy 10/10
  63. Jun 18, 2014
    This is the best show that I've ever seen. The writing was incredibly good, the direction was amazing, the cinematography was incredible, the acting was outstanding, etc. The story was so rich that each episode left me satisfied, and the amount of throwbacks to Coen Bro's films was really interesting. The writing goes so much deeper than what can be seen in each episode, and you reallyThis is the best show that I've ever seen. The writing was incredibly good, the direction was amazing, the cinematography was incredible, the acting was outstanding, etc. The story was so rich that each episode left me satisfied, and the amount of throwbacks to Coen Bro's films was really interesting. The writing goes so much deeper than what can be seen in each episode, and you really have to peruse the forums (I like reddit.com/r/fargotv) in order to get the full meaning behind everything. Terrific show. Mark my words -- this will not be topped for years to come. Expand
  64. Jun 18, 2014
    I don't even watch TV and the show was awesome. If you like the movie you'll absolutely, love the show When Billy Bob Thornton died, I was heartbroken!! Fantastic show, please don't end!!
  65. Jun 13, 2014
    I must say I never inspected this serie was going to be that good but that makes it even better. The first episode was amazing and that's only the beginning. If you are person like me that watch a lot of series but aren't caught away with some cheesy storyline than I advice you to watch Fargo. It's so well written and with small touch of comedy, this serie is worth a 10.
  66. Jun 12, 2014
    Awesome show! I really like the writing and the story it is awesome. I am really surprised I like it because I did not like the movie because I thought it was stupid and I did not like the writing, or story, so nice job writers of Fargo.
  67. Jun 5, 2014
    The story is the Wicked/BIZARRE Truth, and some great actors, BUT I’m left totally ripped off of my time trying to watch this mixed up bogus filming filled mostly with COMMERCIALS>> and the stupid REPEATS of all the has happened since DAY ONE
    (as their LAME WAY they are using such to fill in the gaps… as they insult your intelligence with such SLOW-POKE story telling THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN WAY BETTER COMPLETED AS JUST ONE 2 HOUR MOVIE!!) *** NO ONE APPRECIATES WAITING SO LONG TO FIGURE OUT THIS STORY IN THEIR “MOVE A CRUMB STEP FORWARD ONLY TO GET 3-5 STEPS BACK” IN BETWEEN A TON OF COMMERCIALS! EVEN THE COMMERCIALS ARE ALL THE SAME >> AND BORING AS CAN BE!
    I love Billy Bob as a supreme actor, but with this bs, now i worry about his Acting career…settling for such a BORING show.

This version of FARGO will never reach the level of the movie FARGO, and no way does it even come close to “BREAKING BAD” did, which Breaking Bad controlled me and everyones stay home and TV watching schedules for something AMAZING to give up an hour for!
    What a waste FARGO!
  68. Jun 3, 2014
    Fargo captured my attention with its first episode and has turned into can’t-miss-it TV. Not since Walter White of Breaking Bad entered my life have I so fervently hoped for a good outcome for a deeply flawed character – Lester Nygaard. Martin Freeman is wonderful as the submissive, subservient husband and life insurance salesman. Even though he is doing bad, bad things, I am rooting forFargo captured my attention with its first episode and has turned into can’t-miss-it TV. Not since Walter White of Breaking Bad entered my life have I so fervently hoped for a good outcome for a deeply flawed character – Lester Nygaard. Martin Freeman is wonderful as the submissive, subservient husband and life insurance salesman. Even though he is doing bad, bad things, I am rooting for him to not get caught. While the show is loosely based upon the Coen brothers’ movie, there are enough twists and turns that it feels very fresh. Billy Bob Thornton as Lorne Malvo is brilliant as the quietly-menacing villain, although he’s rocking a very bad set of bangs. The show ranges from laugh-out-loud humor to deeply disturbing often within seconds of each other. The entire cast is superb, even Kate Walsh whom I normally can’t stand. This show has the quirks and dark humor of the original movie with enough new storyline to keep you guessing. Expand
  69. Jun 2, 2014
    If Martin Freeman is from Minnesota then I am from Pluto... It doesn't hold a candle to the original film and it's a real shame they had to tarnish the legacy. The film was a real bare insight into a difficult situation and the mystery behind it was slowly revealed whilst the show is just layers upon layers of waffle designed to fill up the hours needed for a season.
  70. May 31, 2014
    I diligently have tried to find a copy of the movie but haven't been able to find it, so I gave the series a chance. Fargo is very cunning. A series lead by the Coen masterminds, Fargo stars Martin Sheen as a loser insurance salesman whose life cracks in just a couple of days thanks to a drifter names Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton) as a series of murders are cleverly covered up, two cops MollyI diligently have tried to find a copy of the movie but haven't been able to find it, so I gave the series a chance. Fargo is very cunning. A series lead by the Coen masterminds, Fargo stars Martin Sheen as a loser insurance salesman whose life cracks in just a couple of days thanks to a drifter names Malvo (Billy Bob Thornton) as a series of murders are cleverly covered up, two cops Molly (Allison Tolman) and Gus (Colin Hanks) help each other out to bring the murderers to justice. Fargo is eerily creepy and psychotic to the point where it is interesting. Truly we have found a suitable replacement for Breaking Bad. Expand
  71. May 28, 2014
    fantastic incredible unbelievably brilliant show with top class acting and script. this is the best show i have seen .the story is said to be true but i find it hard to believe, even so the story is told so well and the script is so humorous that the entertainment value is immence.love it!!!
  72. May 28, 2014
    Fargo is the perfect tv hour to fill your Breaking Bad void, it is a dense show which brings amazing quirk to television. Great casting, great characters and great storyline, Fargo has it all.
  73. May 21, 2014
    Sat through two episodes before giving up on this series. The characters had zero appeal and it seems to be making fun of Minnesota natives by stereotyping them, instead a making them believable. Not worth it.
  74. May 21, 2014
    Perfect casting except for the South African or Australia bit role in the Chinese restaurant, great location, plot keeps moving along and like Game Of Thrones, the dumb get killed. What else could you want?
    It's gonna be a tragedy if Lorne Malvo doesn't make it to Season 2.
  75. May 20, 2014
    Up to now, the series is great. The actors are terrific and the storytelling is slow but very good. The dark humor of the Coen brothers film is well use. There's maybe the charm of the music and the wide shots of characteristics places that were used in the movie that would have been a great plus but overall it's great.
  76. May 14, 2014
    Wow. After Breaking Bad ended, I was looking for a great new show to fill that void, but I was doubtful I could find one. Fargo has filled that void. The amazing casting alone makes this show a success. A lot of the "mainstream" networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, TNT) fill their shows with actors who are bland "model types" - people who are just boring to watch. It's refreshing to find a showWow. After Breaking Bad ended, I was looking for a great new show to fill that void, but I was doubtful I could find one. Fargo has filled that void. The amazing casting alone makes this show a success. A lot of the "mainstream" networks (NBC, ABC, CBS, TNT) fill their shows with actors who are bland "model types" - people who are just boring to watch. It's refreshing to find a show that casts interesting actors who aren't just cookie-cutter Ken and Barbie clones. The writing is great, but the interesting and likable actors really take this show to another level. It's great when you can tell the casting director wasn't trying to just fill all the roles with "hot people", but rather trying to find people who were charismatic and believable in their roles. Expand
  77. May 12, 2014
    Superb casting. Light comedic touches complimented by a dark gritty storyline with an excellent performance from Billy Bob Thornton. It's an overall joy to watch and is completely living up to my expectations which were set pretty high after the film. By far the best series I have seen for years. What more is there to say? It is absolutely great. 10/10 so far.
  78. May 8, 2014
    FARGO is now 4 episodes old and I am already into it, completely hooked up. The story is intense and brilliant. It will end up being one of the best shows ever. Malvo will be crowned as one of the best villain ever. For people who has not started watching this amazing show, buy yourself some time and watch this.
  79. May 7, 2014
    I've never seen a television remake of a successful movie that is true to the original. It only took one episode to hook both my husband and I. If I didn't know better, I would bet that the Coen brothers themselves were producing this quirky, thought provoking escape from reality. Not only does this show require your attention to track the interwoven plots and characters, but also makes itI've never seen a television remake of a successful movie that is true to the original. It only took one episode to hook both my husband and I. If I didn't know better, I would bet that the Coen brothers themselves were producing this quirky, thought provoking escape from reality. Not only does this show require your attention to track the interwoven plots and characters, but also makes it a necessity to watch every week in order to keep track of the back stories, flash backs and homage the incidents in the movie. It's right up there with Lost. Expand
  80. May 5, 2014
    Maybe the best pilot yet. Totally enjoyable from beginning to end. I'm not Billy Bob's biggest fan but he was perfect in this part. If you don't enjoy this show you better stick to The Kids Network or something like The View.
  81. May 3, 2014
    Писати рев'ю суржиком на англомовному сайті? Вмію, практикую, як то кажуть. Сезон тільки розпочався, але сюжет захоплює з перших хвилин пілота. Каст теж вражаючий: мені достатньо Біллі Боб Торнтона та Мартіна Фрімена, але й Кіт Керредін, Колін Хенкс з Декстера та Боб Оденкірк з ББ органічно вписалися в сюжетну павутину. Маст вотч цього року!Писати рев'ю суржиком на англомовному сайті? Вмію, практикую, як то кажуть. Сезон тільки розпочався, але сюжет захоплює з перших хвилин пілота. Каст теж вражаючий: мені достатньо Біллі Боб Торнтона та Мартіна Фрімена, але й Кіт Керредін, Колін Хенкс з Декстера та Боб Оденкірк з ББ органічно вписалися в сюжетну павутину. Маст вотч цього року!
  82. Apr 23, 2014
    I've been looking for a 'new show', I've watched TONS of highly rated, pilots and early episodes, but this, this is THAT show! Some shows just have "that magic".
  83. Apr 23, 2014
    Starts off a bit slow but I think Fargo may become my favorite series on TV. A star studded cast that certainly lives up to the hype with plenty of room for plot development despite being in a small town. Can't wait to see how the show gets as the season goes on.
  84. Apr 23, 2014
    What a miserable attempt at revisiting the charm and filmmaking skill of the movie Fargo. Don't waste a minute of your life on this. It's so awful in so many ways that I'm shocked the Coen bros. were a part of this.
  85. Apr 21, 2014
    After watching the pilot episode, I find it hard to believe that they will make the rest of the season as consistently good as the first episode. It is probably the best pilot episode ever made. But if somehow they manage this, it will be a triumph!
  86. Apr 21, 2014
    I haven't actually seen the original movie, but for a pilot episode, it looks like this show has some serious potential. Billy Bob nailed his character, and the show juggles comedy + crime + action + drama delicately. Looking forward for next episodes.
  87. Apr 20, 2014
    I'm remaining skeptical until I see the rest of the season but the first episode was pretty great. The first 30 minutes were a bit slow but it picked up. Billy Bob Thornton's acting was fantastic as well, not a big fan of Martin Freeman's accent but it didn't take me out of the show.
  88. Apr 19, 2014
    It is the great character actors that make this such a great pilot. Everyone from Martin Freeman (so great as "Watson") to Billy Bob are spot on. Funny, scary, disgusting, and so much more describes this version of Fargo. The broadcast stations just do not produce anything near as good as the shows we find on the cable stations. Fargo can join with Breaking Bad, Justified, The WalkingIt is the great character actors that make this such a great pilot. Everyone from Martin Freeman (so great as "Watson") to Billy Bob are spot on. Funny, scary, disgusting, and so much more describes this version of Fargo. The broadcast stations just do not produce anything near as good as the shows we find on the cable stations. Fargo can join with Breaking Bad, Justified, The Walking Dead, and others in the pantheon of television programs. Expand
  89. Apr 18, 2014
    One episode in and wow. What a promising introduction. From the first musical note of the title scene to the last second of the end credits...enthralling. (So far) It's careful, quiet and suspenseful all while being pushed through a heavily darkened ambiance of cool-handed murder. And Billy Bob is bad as f*ck. Dope material right here. I even laughed out loud a couple of times.
  90. Apr 17, 2014
    Holy cow is this show wretched bad, some of these 10s must be show staffers. My wife got up and left the room after 20 mins, while I plowed through to the bitter end. I heard from my dad the next day, who said he made it to the 3rd commercial break. I'm from MN, but spent 15 years on the E.Coast, and am back in MN now. So I have both the perspective of being a local, as well as havingHoly cow is this show wretched bad, some of these 10s must be show staffers. My wife got up and left the room after 20 mins, while I plowed through to the bitter end. I heard from my dad the next day, who said he made it to the 3rd commercial break. I'm from MN, but spent 15 years on the E.Coast, and am back in MN now. So I have both the perspective of being a local, as well as having lived elsewhere and been privy to how others view us. The movie DID capture something about MN. When a beloved local theatre guy played the local sweeping the snow off his driveway, it was idiotic that the director forced him to use a broom (we don't sweep snow, we shovel it), but the dialogue ("kinda different") and accent were spot on. Marge too. Not so with this show, it's crap. The purported MN accents are bizarre and lame, all the "heck", "darn" & "uff da" (uff da, really???) dialogue is cheap & superficial. Saying things passive-aggressively and being non-committal, that's how Minnesotans talk. Fargo the TV show misses the mark completely, such a let down from a great movie. Expand
  91. Apr 17, 2014
    One can expect quirkiness from the Coen's but this seems to be heavily leaning into satire land. Imagine "Lark Rise To Candleford" done by Cormac McCarthy. Evil or stupidity abounds in Bemidji Minnesota which seems to be another mid west town ridiculed by Hollywood of late ("Nebraska," "Osage County,") and where having Canadian accents guarantees a drop in IQ and social graces. Only oneOne can expect quirkiness from the Coen's but this seems to be heavily leaning into satire land. Imagine "Lark Rise To Candleford" done by Cormac McCarthy. Evil or stupidity abounds in Bemidji Minnesota which seems to be another mid west town ridiculed by Hollywood of late ("Nebraska," "Osage County,") and where having Canadian accents guarantees a drop in IQ and social graces. Only one character seems to have a chance at evolving and that's the deputy Sheriff doing a Columbo McDormand reprise. By my count there's 4 dead bodies and at least three facial contusions and possibly a dimwit made more brain damaged. Hang on we're in for a bumpy ride. Expand
  92. Apr 16, 2014
    Most realistic police story ever.Who wrote this awesome story? .it's strange writers were able to expand dark nature of humans and choices they made and put it in to a TV show.This is way better than true detective and in the same league of Sherlock.When you watch it you don't feel like they acting.
  93. Apr 16, 2014
    After Breaking Bad came to an end I thought it would be a long wait before TV dished up something as captivating. I was wrong.

Although it's too early to say for sure, on the strength of the first episode I think this could be a hell of a ride. Here's hoping.
  94. Apr 16, 2014
    Thoroughly enjoyed the pilot episode and look forward to more of the same. Fine casting/acting and excellent script. I was born and raised in MN and spent half of my adult life there. The accent and syntax that was first introduced in the movie, Fargo, as "Minnesotan" is pretty close to the mark, though there's some understandable exaggeration to make the point. The accent is sometimesThoroughly enjoyed the pilot episode and look forward to more of the same. Fine casting/acting and excellent script. I was born and raised in MN and spent half of my adult life there. The accent and syntax that was first introduced in the movie, Fargo, as "Minnesotan" is pretty close to the mark, though there's some understandable exaggeration to make the point. The accent is sometimes described as "Minne-wegian," a combination of Minnesotan and Norwegian. I first heard it so labeled in describing Sarah Palin's accent. It's also worth noting that it's heard mostly in rural areas. One rarely hears anyone talk like that in the Twin Cities, though we Minneapolitans used to throw in a "ya, shure, you betcha" now and then just for the fun of it. Expand
  95. Apr 16, 2014
    There is something quietly magical about watching FX's Fargo. Despite sharing so many qualities with the 1996 film – the frivolous, ubiquitous small talk; the washed-out sets and arctic blue exteriors; the ironically cinematic score (which works even better on television); the facetious, heavily accented overuses of "oh yeah," "well heck," and "aw jeez" – this FX original is not Fargo. TheThere is something quietly magical about watching FX's Fargo. Despite sharing so many qualities with the 1996 film – the frivolous, ubiquitous small talk; the washed-out sets and arctic blue exteriors; the ironically cinematic score (which works even better on television); the facetious, heavily accented overuses of "oh yeah," "well heck," and "aw jeez" – this FX original is not Fargo. The characters have been tweaked, reimagined, and shifted to match a more dynamic, open-ended storyline. The infuriatingly clueless and eternally weak Lundegaard is replaced with a more willful and self-aware Nygaard. Comfortable, stable Marge Gunderson becomes aspiring, youthful Molly Solverson. But most significantly, the dysfunctional kidnapper duo is trashed in favor of a drifting assassin, the instigating and innately cynical Lorne Malvo. The inclusion of these different characters provides for a unique dynamic not found in the original.
    And yet, this new series manages to emulate the witty and unmistakably signature charm that made the original such a cult hit. 1996 Fargo's appeal was rooted in its unprecedented mix of dark comedy, tragedy, and heroism. Although the FX series doesn't line up perfectly with its muse (nor does it try to), it still succeeds in capturing its situational hilarity, absurd gravity, and profound melancholy through its impressive writing, mindful directing, and laudable acting. Alison Tolman plays her part stunningly, but the best performances come equally from Billy Bob Thornton and Martin Freeman, who could not have been cast any more perfectly. So although FX's Fargo is not entirely Fargo, it's heart and skin is Fargo through and through, and that's what matters the most.

FINAL SCORE: 92.5 (almost perfect -----o--------------- perfect)
  96. Apr 16, 2014
    Its really great. Like the movie it has that dark comedic undertone all the while keeping serious. The writing is superb, the acting is also very good due to the casting choices being spot on. I love this show and cannot wait to see more of it.
  97. Apr 16, 2014
    Although very different from the movie, this show looks and feels the same. It still captures that dark, comedic tone of the original and tells a new story heavily influenced by the film. Everything in Fargo just makes sense. I love it.
  98. Apr 16, 2014
    We've been talking about this for years now, but it's a sad state of affairs when the first episode of a TV season is better than 90% of all movies released in a given year. This is truly superb stuff. Brilliant casting, serious as a heart attack, and yet has the light comedic touches of the film. They certainly didn't waste any time getting into the nasty bits.
  99. Apr 16, 2014
    That was probably one of the best pilots I've ever seen. Even with the weight of expectations based on the success of the film, the creators reinvented the series while keeping the tone of flavor for that part of the country. Billy Bob is an inspired choice. I can't believe they covered as much ground as they did in the very first episode. Reminds me of the final half season ofThat was probably one of the best pilots I've ever seen. Even with the weight of expectations based on the success of the film, the creators reinvented the series while keeping the tone of flavor for that part of the country. Billy Bob is an inspired choice. I can't believe they covered as much ground as they did in the very first episode. Reminds me of the final half season of Breaking Bad. No messing around. I can't wait to watch the rest of this series. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jun 25, 2014
    Only a fool would deny Fargo’s polish and verve, its stylized razzle-dazzle. But, for me at least, after a year of gulping down chili peppers, it takes more to make a meal.
  2. Reviewed by: Kristi Turnquist
    Jun 24, 2014
    The setting is convincingly snowy and wintry (it was filmed in Calgary, Canada), the writing is clever, and the actors are outstanding.
  3. Reviewed by: Diane Garrett
    Apr 15, 2014
    At times, however, Hawley goes a little too heavy on the quirk, and Thornton, who last regularly appeared on TV in the John Ritter political comedy “Hearts Afire” in the early 1990s, overly indulges in that smirk. Bits between mob enforcers Mr. Numbers (Adam Goldberg) and Mr. Wrench (Russell Harvard) also wear out their welcome. The overall quality of TV's Fargo is high.