• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 19, 1999
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.6

1. Jan 21, 2014
    It was with a perhaps-unhealthy amount of skepticism I approached this show, not having heard anything about it before starting the first episode on Netflix.

I didn't immediately fall in love with it, it starts of corny and overtly silly in the way only space opera can be,
    However, the characters intrigued me, as the performances suggested greater depth than their unique (but at first
    silly) design.

I stuck around to see more of these characters, and soon the writing caught up and showed me that it is truly a GREAT series. The rough patch in the beginning (and at points throughout the show) are worth sitting through to appreciate the moments of great science fiction, character drama, and daring storytelling.

Give this one a watch, and you won't be able to stop. Very, very, memorable.
  2. Dec 19, 2012
    italian
    i primi episodi della stagione non sono un granchè ma poi verso la fine migliora

english
    the first episodes of the season are not like much, but then towards the end improves
  3. Nov 22, 2012
    This is one of the best, if not the best, sci-fi shows out there. The seasons get progressively better, the plot gets more serious, as does character psychology and production value, and the universe keeps getting darker. I would not rate Season 1 higher that a 7, but since its two-part finale it quickly rises up to 10 and then beyond awesome. There is a decent portion of geek humour as well, but it does not detract from the general serious tone of the series. Oh, and anyone saying that season 4 finale is not THE most epic sci-fi show finale ever must be joking. I would personally rate this higher even than BSG exactly because BSG series 4 finale was so incredibly lame - this one leaves you craving for more. Check out Peacekeeper wars, the miniseries made after season 5 was cancelled, to find some closure. It is rushed, given the limited resources and time available for it, but still worthwhile. Expand
  4. Nov 18, 2012
    My favourite show of all time. The cast, acting, ideas, story, wardrobe, design is superb. I never got attached so strongly to any show and characters before. I literally bought comics after watching the series to get a bigger fix of the farscape crew and continued story. The only negative was that the movie wasn't that great but it had to be rushed to explain the outcomes after the goofs decided to cancel the show, luckily there was a fan outcry and the movie "The peacekeeper wars" was made. This shows is a gem which every sci-fi fan should give a chance. Expand
  5. Mar 25, 2012
    The guy just below me said it well: "PLEASE WATCH THIS SHOW.. if you end up not liking it, there is something wrong with you." Really, he's right, it is not the show, it is you! If you don't like this show, either you lack imagination, or you don't have a sense of humor. Either way, you have basically lost touch with your inner child - that's your problem right there! Everyone's inner child smiles from ear to ear from watching Farscape! Having said this, the show is definitely not perfect. The first season in particular is of varying quality. You can feel the budget constraints at times. And the very first episode is unfortunately the least impressive of them all. It's sluggish and starts out boringly sentimental, and is not at all representative of what the show is going to blossom into over four amazing seasons. I'm just telling you, so you don't watch the first episode and give up! Hang in there, you will be richly rewarded! Expand
  6. Feb 5, 2011
    Ok... I don't care what anyone else says about this show, because it is simply the best sci-fi show out there. It is the show with everything: wit, comedy, emotion, thrill, and plenty of action. It is my favorite TV show and I wish they hadn't canceled it after the 4th season. Some episodes are self-contained, but for the most part each episode advances the roller-coaster plot in some way. I found myself falling in love with each character. So in conclusion: PLEASE WATCH THIS SHOW.. if you end up not liking it, there is something wrong with you. (jk)... no, but really. Expand
  7. Jan 1, 2011
    Farscape: A show unlike any other, sending off astronaut John Chricton into a wormhole and into the other side of the universe, meeting wierd and wonderful creatures. He travels alongside escaped prisoners Ka D'Argo, a luxan (think Worf from Star Trek with a squid for a head), Zhann a bald blue priestess and Dominar Rygel, a pompous little toad who hovers about in a chair who wants to reclaim his throne. With them is Peacekeeper (Intergalactic military) Aeryn Sun, who was described as "contaminated" and sentenced to death, Pilot, an awesome creature who controls Moya, the living pregnant ship. They are all on the run from the Peacekeepers, led by Captain Bailar Crais, who's obsessed with hunting John down, as John accidently killed his brother.

Overwhelmed yet? It's alright, even the fans were a bit. The first series can be a bit disjointed at times, producing some dire episodes (you can skip "Jeremiah Chricton" and "Bone To Be Wild", trust me you'll want to) but the good episodes outnumber the bad ones. Throught the series, you get glimpses into the characters backstories (D'argos is the most compelling, you'll feel for him) and by the series finale, a lot of the plot lines come together for a finale that'll leave you wanting to see the second series ASAP.

More prominent characters join the series later on, such as Greyscale nympho Chiana and the latest insane peacekeeper (and one of TV historys greatest villains) Scorpious. He may look like a gimp Mr Burns whos had the life sucked out of him, but he's menacing as hell and will leave a lasting impression.

And thus begins the first season of one of historys greatest sci fi shows.
  8. Sep 21, 2010
    This is kind of old school sci fi serie, not far from Babylon 5, but that comparison also took the joy of it from me. During all episodes, I was wishing for something related to Babylon 5 to happen, and after the first season I realized I just wished I was watching that instead. It also appeared to have many filler episodes, which were entertaining, but too many.

1. Reviewed by: M.S. Mason
    Jul 18, 2013
    "Farscape" is not only fun, it is often thoughtful and probes issues of good and evil. [7 May 1999]
  2. Reviewed by: Ed Bark
    Jul 18, 2013
    Farscape is thoroughly first-rate in the special-effects department. As for the writing, it at least shows flashes of promise. [19 Mar 1999]
  3. Reviewed by: Scott D. Pierce
    Jul 18, 2013
    If you watched the show with the sound turned down, you might well be blown away. But, as has been an unfortunate trend in non-Muppet Henson productions, most of the effort seems to have gone into making the series look great while giving short shrift to the writing. [12 Mar 1999]