Firefly: Browncoats Unite : Season 1

7.9

1. Oct 12, 2016
    First of all, let me say that I, like you dear reader, am their biggest fan.

First of all, let me say that I, like you dear reader, am their biggest fan.

Browncoats Unite is a 1-hour special aired on the Science Channel in celebration of the tenth anniversary of Firefly. The main theme is that members of the cast and some staff sit around a table and reminisce about the good old days. The special also showed some footage of the comic-con convention later that day in which a part of the Firefly team participated.

It needs to be noted that quite a few members of the crew weren't present during the round-table conversation and weren't present at the comic-con gathering as well. For example Jewel Staite wasn't present at the round-table, but she was a member of the comic-con panel later. Also absent were Morena Baccarin, Gina Torres and Ron Glass. To compensate for their absence taped interviews of the absentees were added as a supplement, but Ron Glass was entirely absent. I felt quite disappointed that during the round-table the team wasn't complete. I know they had duties elsewhere but eh, I'm a fan so what can I say? What they had to say is a little of this and that, forcing smiles whilst trying to be funny and whilst trying to set a cozy atmosphere and complaining about how the series was treated badly by the network. That's the gist of it. The most notable thing was that the conversation at the table is heavily orchestrated. More than a few conversations were glued together with cut-scenes, and multiple obvious out-of-place scenes (gestures, laughs, looks) were cut in. That happened if - for example a smile was needed, so they glued that artificially in. You know how it goes with scripted reality right? Well this was no different.

I wish I could be more positive about this TV Special, but the simple truth is that this footage aimed at fans with blind love for that series (and the movie) and would accept just anything. I'm not one of those persons. The setup was entirely cheesy and corny and that's the honest truth. I think the typical fan simply loved the lateral approach of the original series and the movie. Yet when an anniversary is setup like this then to me it's a huge disappointment. I'd rather have them half prepared, maybe even stuttering through the questions and stories, but at least they'd be real and it would complement the original take on things entirely.

I don't see any reason to judge the release by blind love. I love the crew, I love the series and there's a lot of sentimental value involved which is related to how I was introduced to Firefly and Serenity. So you can understand it's not easy for me to be this critical. But it has to be done if it's the truth.

Nevertheless, enjoy!

1. Reviewed by: Chris Conaton
    Nov 12, 2012
    It's a lively conversation that's nicely balanced between oral history and behind the scenes anecdotes.
  2. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Nov 9, 2012
    In a sort of oral history style, a moderator leads them through the show's tumultuous birth, its low ratings, demise and resurrection as the 2005 motion picture "Serenity." But what's most interesting about Browncoats Unite is learning how what was going on behind the camera impacted what viewers saw on TV.
  3. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Nov 9, 2012
    You don't have to know a thing about "Firefly" to enjoy this fascinating victory dance.