Flash Gordon : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Aug 10, 2007
2.2

1. Red5
    Jan 14, 2008
    The only reason this show could even consider having a score above zero is that Baylin is hot. Other than that, weak plot, dialogue, casting and crap visual effects. Oh - and Terry M, who wrote the 28-page rant above, you should spend more time honing your writing for Flash than for Meta critic. I love it when a show's writers come pollute the forums, defending their shoddy work. The only reason this show could even consider having a score above zero is that Baylin is hot. Other than that, weak plot, dialogue, casting and crap visual effects. Oh - and Terry M, who wrote the 28-page rant above, you should spend more time honing your writing for Flash than for Meta critic. I love it when a show's writers come pollute the forums, defending their shoddy work. Bad, bad, bad - and it doesn't matter who's fault it is. It's just awful TV. This marks the beginning of the end of the Sci Fi Channel. Expand
  2. AlexM
    Dec 20, 2007
    This show is horrible beyond belief. In fairness, I have given this show a chance, but it just sucked every time and it goes on and on and on. I cannot believe that SCIFI canceled Dresden Files and Stargate SG1, for something really awful. Also, Ming is more of a tyrant than a metro sexual, but this show gives emphasis on Ming being much more of a metro sexual than a tyrant. Come on. This show is horrible beyond belief. In fairness, I have given this show a chance, but it just sucked every time and it goes on and on and on. I cannot believe that SCIFI canceled Dresden Files and Stargate SG1, for something really awful. Also, Ming is more of a tyrant than a metro sexual, but this show gives emphasis on Ming being much more of a metro sexual than a tyrant. Come on. SCIFI should rethink to reinstate Stargate SG1 and Dresden Files to somehow bring the luster they lost. It does not take a lot of brain power to notice the major suckiness of this show. Expand
  3. WilliamTurner
    Nov 12, 2007
    I think I'm going to be sick..... Even Lexx was better.
  4. PeterF.
    Oct 25, 2007
    The show is abysmally bad. I'll sit through most sci-fi shows but this is horrible. Bad acting, rubbish stories and cheap production. Sci Fi needs to extend the next season to at least 20 episodes for Eureka and bring back the Dresden Files if it hopes to keep it's audience.
  5. AlanB
    Oct 5, 2007
    I like to give a show a chance, besides I was looking forward to this one. I watched the whole first episode, it was horrible. I normally give a show the first episode for stage setting, then judge on the second, I made an exception for this one, I didn't watch anymore.
  6. Scott
    Oct 5, 2007
    Every canceled SciFi show I know of is better than this. SG-1, Firefly, Farscape, . . . The list could go on forever! Bringing anything back instead of this would improve the SciFi channel.
  7. Linker
    Sep 25, 2007
    Wow. This show really sucks. I watched the first episode and thought, maybe it is just the first one. But no, they all suck. What has happened to Sci Fi? They got rid of Dresden Files and made this crap instead? Somebody is making some really poor decisions at that network.
  8. JamesN.
    The worst show on tv.
  9. JoeS.
    Sep 25, 2007
    SciFi Channel cancelled Stargate SG1 and Dresden Files, and only gave Eureka 13 episodes, for this pile of stinky poo? Unbelieveable how some people keep their jobs.
  10. WendyDrury
    Sep 25, 2007
    Gawd awful. Flush Gordon!
  11. BrainSnow
    Sep 25, 2007
    Absolutely horrible. Terrible Acting. Abysmal scripts. Cheesy Dialogue. There are no redeeming qualities to this trite.
  12. MichaelK.
    Sep 22, 2007
    Dale (Gina Holden) as the female lead would not have been my chose. A Flash Gordon with no piloting or fighting skills was kind of a major let down. Sci-Fi canceled The Dresden Files for "THIS". Maybe if you changed writers from the wrestling show this might at least be remembered fondly before being canceled. The new fall tv schedule begins this week and when it does this show is "KAPUT"!
  13. EricG.
    Sep 18, 2007
    Talk about the worst adaptation of a classic !! How the hell can Flash save the universe when he cant even defend his own kitchen? Acting is crap, special effects are crap, and as for the political correctiveness of the whole thing, when did the real world start dictating our imagination ? I want the whole thing just to go away!
  14. EknirkD.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I can't believe this crap! I never saw such a cheap story, bad actors and strange CGI-tricks. It's a shame!
  15. DavidMno
    Aug 29, 2007
    Bad! Bad! Bad!!! do i need to say anything else???
  16. RebeccaM.
    Aug 22, 2007
    So joyless. MIng the Merciless looks like a dyspeptic accountant and he runs and evil water utility. I've seen community theater manage better costumes out of the local goodwill. And "Flash" isn't an astronaut, or even a sprinter. He's a marathoner. But worst of all, no one on this show is having any fun.
  17. jm
    Aug 20, 2007
    this could have been a great show, to bad it seems SciFi did not give a damn about its quality.
  18. RobW.
    Aug 16, 2007
    An insult to a venerable comic strip!
  19. MikeN.
    Aug 15, 2007
    Completely uninteresting.
  20. TodS.
    Aug 14, 2007
    Well It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it doesn't quite rise to mediocre either. This review is based on the first half hour of the pilot, cuz that's when I turned it off.
  21. RalphM.
    Simply unwatchable
  22. CaseyH.
    Aug 13, 2007
    It wasn't Flash Gordon. I'm not a geek but when you say "Flash Gordon" certain images pop into my head. Images of retro rocked ships, evil over the top bad guy, space, (and allot more) and the show has none of that. They took away what makes Flash "Flash". Yes modernise it but keep what makes it Flash. Get rid of the screaming week woman (I hate woman like that no matter what It wasn't Flash Gordon. I'm not a geek but when you say "Flash Gordon" certain images pop into my head. Images of retro rocked ships, evil over the top bad guy, space, (and allot more) and the show has none of that. They took away what makes Flash "Flash". Yes modernise it but keep what makes it Flash. Get rid of the screaming week woman (I hate woman like that no matter what the show/movie is or when it was made) and make them strong non-cowards, update the technology's so they look futuristic too us, update the story so it works better with todays audiences but keep the over the top evil bad guy, give the show a retro look but made with modern special effects and makeup tools, set the vast majority (if not all) of the story on in space and on aliens planets (mostly Ming's planet). But they didn't do any of that. I'd be willing to bet good money that the show wasn't even meant to be a Flash Gordon remake. The title and character name where probably added later to get attention for the show. Well, it hurt it, badly. Beyond the fact that it is not Flash Gordon its pretty good but far from grate. It would make good filler for when they don't have something for a particular time slot. If it weren't Flash, maybe a 4 or 5 but since its supposed to be flash, a big fat zero. Expand
  23. JasonT.
    Aug 13, 2007
    I feel alseep. I want the 2 hrs of my life back.
  24. SteveA.
    Aug 13, 2007
    Flash Gordon was very disappointing--bad acting, bad cast, bad script, and bad effects. It's 90 minutes I will never get back!
  25. JudyT.
    Aug 11, 2007
    I never saw anything this stupid in my whole life. And SciFi canncelled Dresden Files it was 10X better than this.
  26. GlenM.
    Aug 10, 2007
    What a piece of junk, gee lets do smallville meets Sliders and pretend its Flash Gordon. I am 36 years old and i guess i might have to wait another generation for somehow who to create a new version of Flash Gordon that works. Great junk sci fi !!!

As played by Johnson, this 21st Century Flash is likable enough, and the plot occasionally achieves a tick-tock level of efficiency, but there’s little else to recommend this series.
  2. For all the comic-book fans who can't get enough of grown-ups carrying ray guns and discussing the destruction of planet Earth, pretty lame effects and super-stiff acting keep this from being really great camp.
  3. The whole story is over the top, but it's mitigated by the sense of humor it has about its own broad elements. The acting is serviceable enough and--to Rosenthal's credit in the pilot--surprisingly consistent. What the plotting lacks in cohesion and suspense, the production often compensates for in visual appeal.