• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 25, 1999
8.8

1. Dec 3, 2010
    This is just am amazing tv show. Honestly, it is the best school-based tv show. The characters are realistic but at the same time un-boring and lovable. The show is just simply extremely funny. This show cant compare to any shows these day (for example glee). Not saying glee is bad, just that Freaks And Geeks is a lot easier to follow, a lot more comedic and is not overdone.
  2. Nov 2, 2010
    Probably one of the best shows that was ever on TV. All the characters very realistic, the script was good and so were the plots. This show depicts a very real high school life
  3. Feb 6, 2013
    This is the Wonder Years with a bit of an edge. Full of actors that most 30 somethings know and enjoy, and produced by Judd Apatow this show was great fun. It is very disappointing that it didn't have more than an 18 episode run.
  4. Mar 24, 2011
    The best school television shows ever made by the hilarious director Judd Apatow. This show shouldn't be canceled when it did. All of the characters are great.
  5. Nov 29, 2012
    Pure magic so simple, oh the days of old i love you.
    everything in this show i did back in the day, hell i remember the day we got an Atari system in the late 70's
    and this show brought me back to that day, thank you.
  6. Nov 7, 2013
    It's a shame this show didn't last more than one season. You've probably never heard of it, and I hadn't either until just a month ago when I started watching it. Its got stars before they were stars (Franco, Rogen, and others), managing to accurately capture a piece of the high school experience. This show is genuine, unique, and develops its characters expertly. It would be a shame toIt's a shame this show didn't last more than one season. You've probably never heard of it, and I hadn't either until just a month ago when I started watching it. Its got stars before they were stars (Franco, Rogen, and others), managing to accurately capture a piece of the high school experience. This show is genuine, unique, and develops its characters expertly. It would be a shame to pass on this captivating series. Expand
  7. Aug 7, 2016
    Created by two of the most noticeable comedy directors of modern times Paul Feig and Judd Apatow Freaks and Geeks is one of the most realistic portrayals of high school to ever grace the screen and unfortunately it only lasted for one season (the show was actually cancelled before the season finale ever aired). Freaks and Geeks works so well because the characters were so well crafted andCreated by two of the most noticeable comedy directors of modern times Paul Feig and Judd Apatow Freaks and Geeks is one of the most realistic portrayals of high school to ever grace the screen and unfortunately it only lasted for one season (the show was actually cancelled before the season finale ever aired). Freaks and Geeks works so well because the characters were so well crafted and loveable. The cast really brought their characters to life and the scripts gave each character and opportunity to shine. The show is now famous for launching the careers of James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel, but the stand outs of the show were actually the Weir children played Linda Cardellini and John Francis Daley. Both Lindsay and Sam and their respective groups of friends were able to make us connect with their experiences with themes like finding your first love, doing drugs for the first time, finding yourself and there are actually a few dramatic episodes that cover the adulterous actions of one of the children's father. Sam Levine and Martin Starr may not have made big waves after the show ended but they were both very loveable in their roles as two of Sam's fellow freaks. Most supporting characters got a least one episode to show what was happening with some the characters that took a backseat. Even the guidance counsellor Mr Rosso (played by Dave Allen) gets a bit more attention in one episode to have him evolve into a bit more than just an authority figure. All the characters are loveable and the storylines never get old. One great thing about Freaks and Geeks was it really didn't run for long enough to do anything wrong. Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2015
    WATCH THIS SHOW!!! One of the most amazing top notch shows to ever get cancelled. But, I think that if this show hadda taken off(and it DEFINITELY would have) the 3 freaks who went on to become HUGE stars, may have never gotten as big as they did, because they may have become typecast as moronic stoner types(completely ruining Franco's career).
  9. Aug 14, 2015
    THIS SHOW IS SO GOOD. SUCH A GREAT STORYLINE AND CAST. All the best comedy stars and executive producing by Judd Apatow, while Paul Feig created it all.
  10. Oct 28, 2016
    A nostalgic work, wonderful take on the high school experience with an honest perspective. Freaks and Geeks uses the cliches we're all used to and puts an introspective take on them. It's funny and endearing, dramatic and familiar. The brilliant writing doesn't come from shocking plot devices, but from a place that you know the creators couldn't have put any other way.
  11. Mar 18, 2013
    Freaks and Geeks is yet another series that can be added to the list of network shows that was not watched by very many people when it initially aired (in 1999) only to gain cult status after it was cancelled. A comedy drama set in the 1980s it centres on two groups of high school students and former model student Lindsay Weir, the excellent Linda Cardellini, in particular as she attemptsFreaks and Geeks is yet another series that can be added to the list of network shows that was not watched by very many people when it initially aired (in 1999) only to gain cult status after it was cancelled. A comedy drama set in the 1980s it centres on two groups of high school students and former model student Lindsay Weir, the excellent Linda Cardellini, in particular as she attempts to find a new niche among the school’s burnouts (The Freaks). Her younger brother, Sam and his friends ‘enjoy’ a completely different social status as the so called geeks of the school and much of the drama, and indeed the comedy, is derived from viewing their vastly different high school experiences. Despite running for just 18 episodes, Freaks and Geeks was almost universally praised by fans and critics for its sharp script and honest portrayal of teen life. Having finally had the chance to watch the show for myself I can safely say that the praised is fully justified and the fact that much of the cast, including the likes of James Franco and Jason Segal, have gone on to have such successful careers off the back their roles here speaks volumes for its enduring qualities. Funny in parts and capable of genuine emotion there aren’t many shows with better first seasons than Freaks and Geeks. Expand
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    A strong contender for the best show about teenagers ever made.
  13. Jul 29, 2017
    A wonderful cast of characters bring joy and life to this high school drama/comedy. The first season does such a wonderful job exploring the problems and joys of misfits and ill-adjusted adolescents that you can forgive its hokier or more cliched moments (which, thankfully, are few and far between). The cancellation of the show after the first season remains one of the biggest mistakes inA wonderful cast of characters bring joy and life to this high school drama/comedy. The first season does such a wonderful job exploring the problems and joys of misfits and ill-adjusted adolescents that you can forgive its hokier or more cliched moments (which, thankfully, are few and far between). The cancellation of the show after the first season remains one of the biggest mistakes in television history, but the survival of the entire first season on Netflix and other places makes sure that future generations will be able to revisit this stellar ensemble cast, whether you are young or young at heart. Expand
  14. May 6, 2015
    Some decent writing and good acting makes this little Apatow engine that couldn't a surprise hit. A few dud episodes here and there, but ultimately a funny little show about fitting in and standing out.
  15. Oct 9, 2013
    Freaks and Geeks was so great. Lovable, awkward, funny, underrated when airing; a cult hit. One of the best teenage shows because it is realistic and comical at the same time.
  16. Nov 1, 2013
    This show was truly brilliant and truly realistic. It resonates with a great amount of parents and teens, with a very funny voice added in. This show started the careers of many famous faces, like Seth Rogen, James Franco, and Jason Segel. A hidden gem. On Netflix instant streaming
  17. May 29, 2015
    I had never heard of this show before I actually started watching it on Netflix a few weeks ago. as soon as i started watching it, I instantly became a fan after a few episodes.The show is very good and every episode is just as interesting as the last. Its characters are extremely realistic and relatable and not just cardboard cutouts that you see in TV shows today. This is one of thoseI had never heard of this show before I actually started watching it on Netflix a few weeks ago. as soon as i started watching it, I instantly became a fan after a few episodes.The show is very good and every episode is just as interesting as the last. Its characters are extremely realistic and relatable and not just cardboard cutouts that you see in TV shows today. This is one of those shows I wish I could have seen more of, I wish it had lasted more than 1 season. Expand
  18. Aug 23, 2014
    It’s no wonder why this show is a cult classic. This show launched the careers of many of the main cast especially James Franco, Seth Rogen and Jason Segal as well as the creators of the show Paul Feig and Judd Apatow.

Freaks and Geeks has a great balance between comedy and drama and its 80s high school setting felt realistic without going through the cliches of a high school TV show.

The cast performances in the show are great and many of the actors played their roles very well. The character development could have been more elaborated if NBC didn’t cancel this show. This show had potential and NBC missed it. This show is a perfect example of networks mistreating a well written TV show.

The writing in the show is great. However, the show doesn’t have a definite arc storyline in the show and each episode felt like a 45-minute sitcom but this can be easily overlooked.

I cared for the characters in the show and I could understand the Freaks even though I consider myself a Geek. I relate both the Weir siblings very much that I really wished that they had more interaction onscreen.

The show has a great soundtrack especially for the Freaks to belt out while the Geeks can jam to.

The final episode is a great de-facto series finale for the show. It unintentionally wrapped things up and the viewers could speculate on themselves on what happens next.

If you’re interested in a TV show with a realistic high school setting, relatable characters, great writing, cast performances and soundtrack, this show is worth checking out.
  19. Jun 6, 2016
    “Freaks and Geeks” es un clásico de culto, es una de las primeras series americanas en evidenciar los problemas adolescentes desde un punto de vista más crudo, un adelantado a su tiempo.
    El eje central de la serie son los hijos de la familia Weir, Lindsay (Linda Cardellini), una adolescente que trata de revelarse al sistema cambiando su imagen, transgrediendo los límites, conociendo gente nueva; mientras que Sam (John Francis Daley), el hermano menor, es el opuesto, un introvertido pero agradable miembro de un grupo de geeks que prefiere no desafiar el status quo.
    La historia no tiene mucha continuidad entre episodios, se presenta una situación que trata de concluirse en un mismo episodio, lo que facilita al espectador involucrarse sin importar desde qué punto se enganche. Se contextualiza dentro de un año lectivo dentro de la secundaria Michigan.
    Una de las grandes virtudes es el elenco, presentando a una de las escuelas comedia que en el presente son humoristas reconocidos, como James Franco (Daniel), Seth Rogen (Ken), Jason Segel (Nick) o Samm Levine (Neal). Inclusive se da el lujo de tener como extras a personajes importantes de la cultura pop como Ben Stiller o Shia LeBeouf.
    “Freaks and Geeks” es una comedia con mucha personalidad recomendable para un público nostálgico o que simplemente se quiera enganchar por la inteligente exposición de temas tabú.
  20. Oct 9, 2017
    Had never heard of this show till a friend suggested we try it. It was Boom! brilliant, funny, nostalgic and totally believable as the cast grew into their characters. I was the same as age the shows characters in 1980 so I related totally with so much of the storyline. I'm now 50 but felt 15 as I relived my youth as the series continued. Why it was cancelled I have no clue but whoeverHad never heard of this show till a friend suggested we try it. It was Boom! brilliant, funny, nostalgic and totally believable as the cast grew into their characters. I was the same as age the shows characters in 1980 so I related totally with so much of the storyline. I'm now 50 but felt 15 as I relived my youth as the series continued. Why it was cancelled I have no clue but whoever decided it killed a truly wonderful program. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Terry Kelleher
    Jun 27, 2013
    The young actors are natural and convincing, and the high school characters manage to be funny without too much Dawson's Creek glibness.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Jun 13, 2013
    This may be the first TV show since Pee-wee's Playhouse to treasure youth even as it embodies all of its contradictions, craziness, hopes, and fears (and I'd like to point out that Freaks is the only hour-long sitcom I've ever seen that sustains funniness for its full 60 minutes).
  3. Houston Chronicle
    Reviewed by: Ann Hodges
    Feb 27, 2013
    Freaks and Geeks shows promise of touching the same common chord that The Wonder Years played so well for the classes of the '60s. [25 Sept 1999, p.7]