9.0

1. Aug 13, 2010
    The best season of the best drama series on television. Departing from the overly dramatic stories of season 2, season 3 brings FNL back to basics. The story lines and characterization is so spot on that sometimes I felt like I was watching a real documentary. I would highly recommend this show to anyone looking for something fresh that will make you cheer and weep all at the same time.
  2. Aug 17, 2010
    Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV. Season 3 is just as good as Season 1 if not better!
  3. Feb 27, 2013
    Due to the writers’ strike of 2007/08 Friday Night Lights second season came to an end before we had seen the conclusion of the Dillon Panthers football calendar. The creators therefore took the decision to jump ahead to the following school year for this third season, a decision which proved to be the right move despite the fact that a few lingering plot-lines from the second season were all but ignored (What happened to Santiago?).

Much like the excellent Mad Men, Friday Night Lights greatest strength lies in the fact that its drama is always firmly routed in reality. Aside from a couple of poorly received storylines in season two it is easy to believe that we are watching real people going about their everyday lives, dealing with the sorts of problems that many of us may face at some point. Of course this would all be very dull if it weren't for the superb writing that never resorts to having to spell everything out for the viewer as well as the fantastic performances from the entire cast. Whether you have any interest in American Football or not Friday Night Lights is one of the most underrated shows of the last decade and anyone with an interest in quality drama could do a lot worse than pick this up on DVD.

The show may not quite be as immersive as it was at its best; we may not see the likes of FNL’s breathtaking first season again. But in Season 3, it’s more evident than ever that many of FNL’s most powerful moments occur when there’s no dialogue at all.
  2. The premiere doesn't necessarily have the sort of mythical, spine-tingling moments that the first season provided from time to time, but the acting remains strong (particularly by Chandler and Britton, the First Couple of primetime) and it feels like an episode of Friday Night Lights in a way that very little of season two did.
  3. One of television's best shows has been the exclusive province of DirecTV's 101 Network for months now, but finally "Friday Night Lights" is returning to NBC, with a third season that feels more like the first. In other words, no homicides, accidental or otherwise, just the very real human drama of life in a Texas town where football touches nearly everyone's lives.