Friday Night Lights : Season 4

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
8.6

1. BAM
    Dec 22, 2009
    This is one of the consistently outstanding series on TV. Peter Berg is a master and the cast is perfect.
  2. AK
    Oct 30, 2009
    One of the best dramas on television - hands down.
  3. Gianni
    Jan 10, 2010
    Amazing series, realistic to the core, spare nothing of the cruel do-it-or-die that everyone who dreams of leaving a smalltown must face. It can get any better than this.
  4. MichaelM
    Nov 27, 2009
    This is the best thing on television right now. I'm not from small town, I'm not American, and I don't care about football. But these characters and the brilliance of their stories... I absolutely love this show.
  5. MollyJ
    Nov 9, 2009
    The best show on TV. Absolutely dead on with the character portrayals. I love the way the new characters are evolving-- so many directions it can take us! Can't wait!! :)
  6. BrianC
    Dec 16, 2009
    WOW! Still the best show on television hands down. It really has a literary aspect missing from most shows with high-production gloss. Which is not to say it doesn't LOOK good--the shots are often amazing, and moments are often most poignant when nothing is said and you see the beaming Texas sun. Season 4 started off a little lukewarm, but damn if they didn't jump into full WOW! Still the best show on television hands down. It really has a literary aspect missing from most shows with high-production gloss. Which is not to say it doesn't LOOK good--the shots are often amazing, and moments are often most poignant when nothing is said and you see the beaming Texas sun. Season 4 started off a little lukewarm, but damn if they didn't jump into full stride by episodes 5 and 6. The relationship between the whole Taylor family shows THE most believable and dignified family dynamic I've EVER seen on television. Each character develops at a fluid pace in direct concordance with the events of their life, and even the brand new characters in season 4 impress with their interpretive abilities--something makes me think the new actors were required to study up on the past seasons to get a feel for how to interact with the classic characters. I get the chills watching this show at times, and it's never from cheap plot twists or dramatic impossibilities. The only unbelievable aspect is the actual football, but then this never was a "sports" show anyway. If you're as annoyed and can't be troubled with banal plot cliches as I am, check out episode 5 of season 4, and watch the artful way which Matt Saracen acts upon his grief (I won't give away why he's grieving). As usual subtle art like this will go largely unnoticed, but art rarely has populist appeal--instead I take comfort in the knowledge that I will own all the season DVDs from this show, however long it lasts, and be able to share them with my children some day. Expand
  7. KathyW
    Jan 12, 2010
    Fantastic characters, storylines, acting, everything. Should be recognized by more people as one of the BEST show out there.
  8. Oct 23, 2010
    I'd never seen the show before, but I was hooked from the first episode of season 4. The characters are all realistic and varied. When they're going through hardships, you stick with them, and when they succeed, you can't help but cheer. Great acting, too. Glad to see Connie Britton and Kyle Chandler get some love at the Emmy's, even if it's kinda late already!
  9. Aug 17, 2010
    Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV. Season 4 adds a few new characters since many of are oldWithout a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV. Season 4 adds a few new characters since many of are old favorites have moved on but manages to make these new characters just as interesting to watch as the oldies. Expand
  10. Feb 27, 2013
    With Coach Taylor now in charge of the penniless East Dillon Lions Friday Night Lights serves up yet another fantastic season.

Much like many other great drama series Friday Night Lights greatest strength is the way it allows the viewers to really get to know each and every one of the main characters and this is helped greatly by its fantastic script and universally great performances. As a result it is all but impossible not to start to really care what happens to the people of Dillon and I can think of very few TV shows that have had the same emotional impact on me as Friday Night Lights.
  11. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. Friday Night Lights has been a personal favorite of mine since it started airing on Sky Atlantic last march. The show does a great job of conveying our heroes major triumphs and their rock bottoms. Anyway the 4th season of Friday Night Lights began airing a couple of months back and I have to say I have not been left disappointed

The 4th season feels like a whole new chapter of Dillon as our main hero, Coach Eric Taylor lose his job with the Panthers and takes on the role of Head Coach of the East Dillon Lions. A lot of the major characters departed last season (farewell Smash, Street, Tyra and Lyla)but we are treated to some new faces in the form of Vince, Luke, Becky and Jess and basically a new environment as the crime ridden East Dillon is worlds away from the safe and community orientated Dillon we are accustomed to.

Friday Night Lights also features its best episode thus far in the form of The Son, an episode dealing with the grief a young man can face when confronted with the death of the father he never knew. Truly powerful stuff, with one actor deserving of a Emmy nomination for his outstanding performance

Other issues are featured in season 4 such as teen pregnancy and abortion, and as Friday Night Lights usually does, handles the subject matter extremely delicately.

All in all I would say that that this season is probably my favorite season of the show so far, and from the season finale I think that the show could reach new levels of greatness in it's swansong season.

This year, the challenge is to create fresh, interesting story lines for new and returning high school characters, integrate the post-high school crowd into the show and mix the stories of the East Dillon team with those of the Panther players. It’s a tall order, but in the early going, the show seems up to it.
  2. It's a brand new ballgame. It looks to be a winner.
  3. There's definitely a joy to this series, no matter how dire things get for its characters.