Friday Night Lights : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.1

1. Oct 13, 2016
    For five seasons, Friday Night Lights was the number one teen drama on television and I have yet to find a single person who didn't love this show. It's impossible to imagine that a show centered around a football team could be so successful, when TV shows centered around sports almost never succeed on television. Looking back, I can't find a single TV drama that was centered around aFor five seasons, Friday Night Lights was the number one teen drama on television and I have yet to find a single person who didn't love this show. It's impossible to imagine that a show centered around a football team could be so successful, when TV shows centered around sports almost never succeed on television. Looking back, I can't find a single TV drama that was centered around a sports team that lasted longer, so why was Friday Night Lights so successful? The answer is quite simple.

While the show was centered around the Dillon Panther football team, football wasn't the end all and be all of the show, it made up a quarter of the series. The other parts focused on the town of Dillon, the Taylor family, and the lives of the players. It's this mix that left something for everything. As a sports fan, I loved the football angle to the show and thought that Coach Taylor was on of the most realistic portrayals of a coach that I have ever seen. For the ladies, there is plenty of romance and teen drama involved with the show, surrounding the players, the high school, and the Taylor's young daughter. As for the adults, there is the family values aspect, as the Taylor's truly care and don't just take care of the students they are entrusted with, but they take an interest in helping the entire town that they are a part of.

The story lines run deep and the character development is as good as you will ever find in any television show. In binging five seasons of this show, I felt as though I knew some of these characters as if they were members of my own family.

As for the stars of the show, Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton had amazing chemistry, which they used to play off each other and the result is that neither of them have ever been better than this. The Taylor's were career defining roles for both actors and they aren't the only ones. This show also launched the careers of Taylor Kitsch, Jesse Plemmons, and Zach Gilford, all of whom have gone on to some very successful roles following Friday Night Lights.

If you're thinking that this show is just some MTV teen drama or a show about football, you couldn't be more wrong. This is one of the best depictions of life in small town Texas, Southern youth culture, and the struggles associated with life in a small town that you will ever find. I highly recommend this show for it's drama, it's exciting action, but most important of all for it's amazingly accurate portrayals and lessons associated with real life in small town America.
  2. Aug 9, 2016
    A bit too focused on high-school and real life drama, Friday Night Lights plays out like a football inspired soap opera. Hell that's probably the point of it. Great show that tugs at the heart, creates excitement in the fictional games, and paces itself nicely. I found myself binge watching, which is rare for me.

If you liked the movie, you're going to at least enjoy the first season.

If you liked the movie, you're going to at least enjoy the first season. It has a lot of parallels. The second season is notoriously weak, but stick with it, it's a great show.
  3. Feb 28, 2016
    It takes you whenever it wants you to go. From the characters and diolgue that seems more real and fleshed out than real life, to the way they all play off each other in this setting. Nearly flawless experience
  4. Jun 14, 2015
    Lovely show. You get engaged with the characters, understand their feelings and their actions and get involved in their daily trouble. From the start point focused on American Football, the show diverges into the character, social status, racism and other topics as progresses, maturing with the time. Even if the focus changes, the quality goes up as the seasons progress until you finishLovely show. You get engaged with the characters, understand their feelings and their actions and get involved in their daily trouble. From the start point focused on American Football, the show diverges into the character, social status, racism and other topics as progresses, maturing with the time. Even if the focus changes, the quality goes up as the seasons progress until you finish the series with the feeling of fulfilment.
    The series achieves transmitting deep emotions, while offering extremely good entertainment.
  5. Aug 11, 2014
    I really loved this show. I had expected not to like it as much because I thought it would be primarily about high school football. But it;s rich in psychological depth through a number of characters and relationships. It's really well crafted drama.
  6. Aug 3, 2014
    Poignant writing, authentic directing, seamless producing, gorgeous acting, and realism & inspiration are all of the ingredients that make FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS one of the most beautifully executed shows in the history of Television.
  7. Aug 27, 2013
    i can watch the show over and over and over again. probably one of my all time favorite shows! need more shows like this one. it had everything a good television drama needed
  8. Aug 16, 2013
    This was the worst 2 minutes of my life. I saw the worst acting ever, even I could do better than that. Also it's about jockeys and people who were retarded about football, it was just stupid. This has a score that was 9.1 too high. horrible.
  9. Aug 7, 2013
    An absolutely amazing series. I was put off initially by the football theme, but in essence this is just the backdrop to everything else going on. The entire cast are superb, but it is Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton that shine. Britton in particular should be an A list actress of the cinema with her stunning looks. Her performance is full of nuances and she is totally believable in everyAn absolutely amazing series. I was put off initially by the football theme, but in essence this is just the backdrop to everything else going on. The entire cast are superb, but it is Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton that shine. Britton in particular should be an A list actress of the cinema with her stunning looks. Her performance is full of nuances and she is totally believable in every scene. The shows writers are to be commended for the great restraint they show with their characters, and at times the show is extremely moving without being overly sentimental or mawkish. In its entirety (5 seasons) this has to rank as one of the greatest tv shows ever made. Expand
  10. May 28, 2013
    I loved this series. From one of THE best pilots ever written for television to the much deserved Emmy award winning series finale, Friday Night Lights is show that has a lot of heart and it is not about football.

It's about being a fly on the wall in the fictitious town of Dillon, Texas. And while the town is absolutely football crazy, it is about adversity and friendship and loyalty and a town that has to come together after a tragedy. The coming of age stories are told through the prism of high school football. The coach and his guidance counselor wife are the parents we all wish we could have. They have what has been described as 'the best marriage on television,' in that it is a true partnership. This rock solid marriage anchors the show and allows for teenage angst and turmoil to storm all around them and yet the drama is resolved and does not veer out of control.

There is a famous 2nd season storyline that is highly criticized, but in fairness to the show occurred during a long writers strike and a shortened season when the show was cancelled by NBC and luckily picked up by DirectTV. While on NBC, the show was moved around and not allowed to pick up a core audience.

Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are stellar as Mr. and Mrs. Coach. And the younger stars: Adrienne Palicki, Scott Porter, Zach Gilford, Taylor Kitsch, Gaius Charles, Jesse Plemmons, Michael B. Jordan, Jurnee Smollett, and Matt Lauria are outstanding. You will see these talented actors in other roles again and again. Brad Leland, Louanne Stephens, Blue Deckert, Liz Mikel, and D.W. Moffett deserve shout-outs for their portrayals of the town's most flavorful character, as are other guest starts.

If you haven't seen the show, give it a 3 episode test and see if you don't become as hooked as I did. You won't be disappointed.

That is why the show is enjoying a much deserved 2nd life on Netflix, Amazon and DVDs.
  11. Mar 29, 2013
    Friday Night Lights is one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. From the amazing chemistry, to the kind of show that just touches your heart. It's one of my favorite shows in quite a while.
  12. Feb 27, 2013
    Based on the book and movie of the same name Friday Night Lights tells the story of the Dillon Panthers, a high school football team in a small Texan town where very little else of consequence takes place. With local radio stations dissecting every game in detail and virtually everyone in town taking an interest team members are treated like celebrities whilst new coach, Eric Taylor, findsBased on the book and movie of the same name Friday Night Lights tells the story of the Dillon Panthers, a high school football team in a small Texan town where very little else of consequence takes place. With local radio stations dissecting every game in detail and virtually everyone in town taking an interest team members are treated like celebrities whilst new coach, Eric Taylor, finds himself under pressure everywhere he goes.

Truth be told many of the storylines aren’t particularly original but the showrunners infuse proceedings with such a sense of realism and intensity that few other drama series can match that this isn’t really an issue. The excellent writing would of course would be nothing without some great performances whether it be from more experienced cast members, such as Kyle Chandler as coach Taylor and his wife played by Connie Britton, or younger stars, such as Zach Gilford as the initially shy Matt Saracen, who suddenly finds himself thrust into the limelight. Importantly the football scenes are also very well shot. Again this helps to maintain a sense of realism to the point where it is sometimes hard to believe you are not actually just watching a real game. All in all Friday Night Lights first season would rank amongst the best of any drama series and, whether or not you know anything about American Football, it is certainly worth a watch.
  13. Oct 30, 2012
    Damn this show is tight. I am not really into the whole football culture that they have down there in Texas but that's not really the point of the show. Most of the characters are quite complex and what they have to go through feels very real. I don't remember seeing a show that painted rehab and the consequences of a serious injury like this before. It just felt right. I would definitelyDamn this show is tight. I am not really into the whole football culture that they have down there in Texas but that's not really the point of the show. Most of the characters are quite complex and what they have to go through feels very real. I don't remember seeing a show that painted rehab and the consequences of a serious injury like this before. It just felt right. I would definitely recommend it since it's nearly flawless. Expand
  14. Jul 5, 2012
    A must watch for thoughtful people-----The most gloriously honest, compelling, intelligent show I've ever seen on network TV, and maybe beyond. It's poignantly scripted, unnervingly well acted (UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are two of the best performers I've ever seen.), and gorgeously shot. I want to scream from the mountain tops about this show. ...REALA must watch for thoughtful people-----The most gloriously honest, compelling, intelligent show I've ever seen on network TV, and maybe beyond. It's poignantly scripted, unnervingly well acted (UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY. Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are two of the best performers I've ever seen.), and gorgeously shot. I want to scream from the mountain tops about this show. ...REAL ART on TV... I didn't know it was possible before FNL. Expand
  15. Mar 11, 2012
    Did I lose a friend? Well that is how I felt after watching the last episode. Friday nights lights and parenthood are the best shows I've seen in awhile.
  16. May 26, 2011
    This is just a great show. Amazing, subtle, strong acting and fully fleshed characters that constantly explore the divide between class, race, and genders. It is not just about football (I admit that I am not much of a football fan)--it is about life.
  17. Mar 15, 2011
    Nearly flawless. Realistic, poignant, inspirational...and it really should be watched by many more people. Myself and a crew of friends just got hooked...and my wife loves it too. Just finished season one...
  18. Aug 17, 2010
    Without a doubt, Friday Night Lights is one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The story is so well done and realistic that it makes you feel as if all these characters are real people who you could actually visit if you went to this small town in Texas. I highly recommend Friday Night Lights for anybody who is a fan of good TV.
  19. BrianC
    Apr 7, 2009
    Best show on television. Ridiculous that it's almost been nixed so often and that people eat up dross like Dancing With the Stars when they have such a literary, poignant drama they could watch instead. Football may be the template for FNL, but it's really a show about quotidian existence and small town American life - only such an awesomely talented cast could make such a theme Best show on television. Ridiculous that it's almost been nixed so often and that people eat up dross like Dancing With the Stars when they have such a literary, poignant drama they could watch instead. Football may be the template for FNL, but it's really a show about quotidian existence and small town American life - only such an awesomely talented cast could make such a theme so insightful, interesting, and compelling week after week. The pilot is simply breathtaking. Expand
  20. MeatG
    Mar 15, 2009
    From the opening theme to the closing credits this show twists my emotions with such a skillful blend of hope and despair that by the end I have lost track of what I am supposed to feel and am instead riding along with the triumphs and defeats of these incredibly real characters.
  21. ToriG
    Jan 21, 2009
    This show is like a movie that keeps on going! LOVE IT! I was converted to the show and now I can't give it up:)
  22. JoAnnG
    Jan 16, 2009
    One of the few TV shows that I watch. It is very good.
  23. danielw
    Nov 19, 2008
    I love the show. I can't wait to watch it every week. The acting is awesome. The coach has such a dynamic character. I hope the show stays on for a long time.
  24. DavidW.
    Aug 18, 2008
    Literally one of the best shows I have ever seen on a network. Solid acting and often very moving and inspiring.
  25. BrentH.
    Jun 5, 2008
    This is the kind of show that will build in popularity as the" word of mouth" about how great it is, spreads. I bet it's already number 1 in West Texas.
  26. Alex
    Mar 17, 2008
    This is a great show which I hope comes back into the programming.
  27. CindyB
    Feb 22, 2008
    This is one of the best shows on television. The writing and the acting are excellent. I look forward to watching the show every week.
  28. mark
    Feb 16, 2008
    This show fits into that narrow category in which it is so good that you need to verbalize it to your viewing partner at every commercial break. It's not about football...but the football stuff is engaging as hell (I'm not a football fan). It's about human beings living together and it's delivered with superlative acting, scripting, production, etc. Sure there's This show fits into that narrow category in which it is so good that you need to verbalize it to your viewing partner at every commercial break. It's not about football...but the football stuff is engaging as hell (I'm not a football fan). It's about human beings living together and it's delivered with superlative acting, scripting, production, etc. Sure there's eye candy but even the worst of them can act well. On most shows, tragedies like divorce/infidelity are delivered with excessive moralism and we're spoon-fed how we should feel about it. This one delivers it as it exists in life: complicated, and not one-sided. It's so good it even survives goofy plot twists b/c it's the rare TV program that's about how it's told, even more than what is told. My one criticism is that the hand-held camera can be a bit too self-conscious and over-done from time to time, it doesn't make you dizzy like some that employ this technique, it just needs to stick to genuine use, without accentuation. Some moments are so artful, painterly, and beautiful that it hurts. The last scene in the show my wife and I watched tonight (online) with Tammy and coach looking in the mirror after their evening out was pitch-perfect. It would be a real shame for this show to end...or would it? I hope that someone on cast and crew sees this and shares it around b/c the show is so good it really makes me want to thank and congratulate them all. Whomever plays Tammy and Landry in particular are phenomenal but it's really a tour de force. Tammy acts better just with her eyes than most other network actors can do with their whole bodies. I'll cut it here lest I sound too wacko to be taken seriously b/c of my gushing. Man, it's that good though. Expand
  29. AnaA.
    Feb 7, 2008
    i love this show its the greatest i hope they don't cancel it. I'm not the only one who feels this way.
  30. DavidKi
    Jan 28, 2008
    Consistently the finest shot, acted and written series on television. I eagerly look forward to each and every show.
  31. MichaelH
    Jan 18, 2008
    This is the best thing on television in a long time...as good or better than the first season of Lost. The writing is just amazing, the directing amazing, the acting amazing. Unfortunately stuck in the Friday night slot by NBC. I would compare it to some of the best pieces of TV "art" like the Sopranos...for that matter many excellent movies. In fact, some of the currently top rated This is the best thing on television in a long time...as good or better than the first season of Lost. The writing is just amazing, the directing amazing, the acting amazing. Unfortunately stuck in the Friday night slot by NBC. I would compare it to some of the best pieces of TV "art" like the Sopranos...for that matter many excellent movies. In fact, some of the currently top rated movies on this site (No Country for Old Men) are different but maybe not even as good as this show. Expand
  32. Adrian
    Dec 11, 2007
    Jonathan Storm should quit his job since he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
  33. MichaelM
    Nov 10, 2007
    I wish more people would watch this series. It's without a doubt the best dramatic series on television. I couldn't have less interest in football or any strong connetion to Texas. It's simply the strong acting, intelligent storytelling and terrific writing that keep me going back every week.
  34. DallinM.
    Oct 21, 2007
    As a high school teacher and coach in Texas, all i can say is they are getting it right.
  35. JosephW.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Smart, well-written, infinitely watchable television that feels like NBC stole a page out of HBO's playbook (excuse the bad sports analogy; but see good storying and solid acting in: all HBO shows).
  36. David
    Oct 10, 2007
    I love High School football but I am trying to be objective here. Anyone that expects absolute realism in a TV show and rates this accordingly is missing the point of entertainment and the shows apparent weaving of real life scenarios around HS Football to entertain. I am giving it a SIX because of the over use of sex in the series. The writers seem to obsessed with proving to us that I love High School football but I am trying to be objective here. Anyone that expects absolute realism in a TV show and rates this accordingly is missing the point of entertainment and the shows apparent weaving of real life scenarios around HS Football to entertain. I am giving it a SIX because of the over use of sex in the series. The writers seem to obsessed with proving to us that teens are engaged in sex at every turn. Regardless of the truth one way or the other, we don't need that in front of us or our children. I really enjoy the football drama but hate the sex scenes and tune them out. Some have complained about the camera work, but I think they miss the point there too. The camera shots bring us to a realism that escapes most shows and I for one think they are brilliantly done in putting us right there with the actors. If it were not for the sex scenes running rampant, I would have rated this show at least a 9. Expand
  37. ZenH.
    Oct 5, 2007
    The camera work sucks on this show! None of my buds are I can stand to watch. They need to book some good handhelds! Big time. The look is so amateurish--like a TV Production 101 crew shooting every episode!
  38. TomM
    Oct 2, 2007
    Best show on television for the last 5 years.
  39. Toddw.
    Sep 30, 2007
    it is an amazing show and accurately depicts the pressures of highschool football.
  40. ChrisB.
    Sep 26, 2007
    I honestly thought the premise to the show was hokey, and I hadn't seen the movie. I had however, given the cast and writers a chance and am quite pleased with the result of their work and effort. I look forward to the new episodes every week during the season.
  41. BrookeM.
    Aug 18, 2007
    LOVE this show. After rumors of Rosie O'Donnell appearing this fall, we may be less likely to watch. She is to controversial for such an already great show. Keep Rosie out.
  42. Jessica
    Aug 16, 2007
    love it, love it, love it! Can't wait til it returns.
  43. GailC.
    Aug 5, 2007
    I love this show - I know nothing about football, and it doesn't matter. I've lived in small towns and this is so real it's tangible. The acting is superb - I've loved Kyle Chandler since "Homefront" and Connie Britton is a relvalation taking her role way beyone the film version. Cannot wait for the new season, hope more people check this one out!
  44. joep.
    Jul 10, 2007
    Couldn't get into it at all, found it really boring.
  45. andyl
    Jul 5, 2007
    Best show on tv. Smart and keeps you on the edge of your seat. It's amazing!
  46. BethB
    Jun 28, 2007
    I didn't watch this during the season because I thought I wasn't interested in a football drama, but am watching it online and love it--great writing, complex characters, and the coach and his wife are one of the most realistic but lovling couples I've seen.
  47. BetsyE.
    Jun 25, 2007
    heartbreaking, realistic, touching, you name it.... characters you really, really care about.. The best show on television
  48. WilliamD
    Jun 24, 2007
    This show is absolutely the best on television, and this is coming from someone that appreciates great shows like Lost, The Sopranos, Dexter, and The Wire.
  49. DerekB
    Apr 26, 2007
    The best show on television - No questions asked
  50. LucyJ
    Apr 22, 2007
    I am not a foodball fan, but I cannot help but enjoy Friday Night Lights. Each and every episode is a refreshing relief from the ridiculous overabudance of reality programs, game shows, and fantasy dramas. I certainly hope NBC realizes the potential of this program and what a future-ratings gem it will be!
  51. ArchK
    Apr 15, 2007
    This amazing program only got better as the seaon went on. Where the hell are the "TV has no good family programs" bunch? Rarely has a program earned their respect and support so througly, yet they remain silent. NBC: PLEASE KEEP IT RUNNING
  52. LisaT
    Apr 14, 2007
    Best show in years! All actors are perfectly cast-head coach and wife are a hot and interesting couple for older people to watch. Get this show a time slot away from American Idol and it will explode! Please bring it back next season!!!
  53. DavidS
    Apr 14, 2007
    Great show. Best on TV.
  54. MARYm
    Apr 12, 2007
    The best T.V. show since the Sopranos. Everything about this drama is perfect-Why isn't everyone watching??????
  55. chrish
    Apr 12, 2007
    By far, the best show on TV!
  56. IriaH
    Apr 11, 2007
    Best show ever, would be a shame if it doesn't get renew
  57. AilssaM
    Apr 9, 2007
    the best show!!! as a teenager, totally realistic and easy to relate to
  58. AlexisL
    Apr 9, 2007
    this is the best show on television right now!! it is extreamly easy to relate to, and has wonderful acting! i am totally addicted! I hope this show has another season!!!
  59. MichaelK
    Apr 9, 2007
    Amazing show. Very fun to watch.
  60. AJF
    Apr 7, 2007
    Best acting on network TV. The coach and wife are a phenomenal TV couple.
  61. BillD
    Apr 7, 2007
    Definitely one of the best shows on television over the past few years. I can't believe how low it's ratings are. It's better than anything on right now. Get it out of the Idol time slot. The writing, acting, music, everything is just off the charts.. Incredible show.
  62. GregH
    Apr 5, 2007
    I may be a bit older than the average viewer for this show (mid 40s), but I'm hooked. My feeling is that FNL is the best television show ever aired, and I have a lot to compare it to. I actually came a little late to the show (about week 4), but thanks to the free eps on NBC.com, I'm now hooked and a rabid fan. This is the kind of show that actually makes you want to be loyal to I may be a bit older than the average viewer for this show (mid 40s), but I'm hooked. My feeling is that FNL is the best television show ever aired, and I have a lot to compare it to. I actually came a little late to the show (about week 4), but thanks to the free eps on NBC.com, I'm now hooked and a rabid fan. This is the kind of show that actually makes you want to be loyal to the advertisers. Great job NBC for taking a chance on this show. Expand
  63. ZinaD
    Apr 4, 2007
    Please have this return to NBC next season. It is the best show in such long time. It is different and enjoyable.
  64. KayaJ
    Apr 3, 2007
    This is the most consistently beautiful and moving show on network tv. It's a stunning achievement that deserves all the praise that it receives. Bravo and thank you!
  65. ericau
    Apr 3, 2007
    best show on nbc. if they get rid of it their making a huge mistake!
  66. BoB
    Apr 2, 2007
    By far the best show on TV! Possibly the best show EVER!!! Let's just hope gives us enough years to make that statement a reality! Watch it... you'll get addicted!
  67. BonnieE
    Apr 1, 2007
    Want more seasons.
  68. KatieR
    Mar 29, 2007
    Brilliant, beautiful, perfect. Television as art.
  69. AnneS
    Mar 26, 2007
    You don't have to be a football fan to be addicted to this show. It is one of the best written shows I have ever seen .Hopefully NBC will renew it for season 2, move it to FRiday night and keep it in the same time slot .... That would increase viewers Reruns during the summer will help as well....
  70. KrisP
    Mar 23, 2007
    The movie was awesome, this is even better. Hopefully they'll continue on with a second season.
  71. ENewt
    Mar 16, 2007
    The best show on television. Bar none.
  72. LuisR
    Mar 4, 2007
    So far, this has been one of the best single seasons of TV I've ever seen.
  73. dwsholl
    Mar 2, 2007
    Terrific bit of Americana. Unusually good casting for a TV show and wouldn't replace any of them!
  74. WarrenD
    Mar 1, 2007
    Brilliant. Watching it on ITV4 in Pommieland at the moment.
  75. JoeM
    Feb 28, 2007
    This show is amazing. Every episode is very intriguing and keeps me watching every week. It has an excellent cast and I hope NBC keeps it around because the ratings will eventually come.
  76. DavidK
    Feb 23, 2007
    I can only assume the low star posters above are from extremely jealous network employees of competitors forced to respond here. Anyone who watches this show can tell something unbelievably unique is happening. There will NEVER be a show that captures the emotion and complexity of real life the way FNL does, NEVER! I would give up watching every other program to keep this series going for I can only assume the low star posters above are from extremely jealous network employees of competitors forced to respond here. Anyone who watches this show can tell something unbelievably unique is happening. There will NEVER be a show that captures the emotion and complexity of real life the way FNL does, NEVER! I would give up watching every other program to keep this series going for the next twenty years. I suggest new readers watch all of the old episodes online for free and enjoy the amazing ride. Last weeks show was a masterpiece! Expand
  77. sues
    Feb 22, 2007
    Without a doubt, this is the best show presently on the tube
  78. JuileB
    Feb 21, 2007
    The highest praise for Berg and the cast's imuy suave telescoping of high school football, no, make that, Texas high school football, for the tube. This one's gripping, darkly humorous, compassionate. No wonder it's doomed.
  79. ErinC
    Feb 19, 2007
    I'm 21 years old and this is the only TV show I make sure I'm home to watch!! I love it!!!
  80. JenniferR
    Feb 19, 2007
    The best show on network television, it would be a shame to have only one season. The acting, directing, and storylines are far superior to anything else offered in prime time.
  81. birthsherpa
    Feb 12, 2007
    My mom was recently paralyzed in a bicycle accident. I was upset that there weren't more people with disabilities represented on TV. This show does it well, and they've done their homework on spinal cord injuries and quad rugby.
  82. mstaff
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of those shows that is so bad it's good! I CAN'T stop watching it!
  83. JessieD
    Feb 9, 2007
    This show is awesome. There is nothing else on television that compares! I will sell my soul to NBC if we get another season!
  84. anonymous
    Feb 8, 2007
    I love this show. I look forward to Friday Night Lights each week. I hope this series has a long and successful run on television.
  85. TonyT
    Feb 7, 2007
    I Tivo this show every week. It has to be the stupidest written show on TV. It is so unrealistic. It's been 35 years since high school but I doubt if it's anything like what is portrayed on this show.
  86. CamS
    Feb 1, 2007
    Great
  87. EricL
    Jan 31, 2007
    Wow. I've just seen the last 3 eps and I'm kicking myself for not watching earlier. As good as anything on TV, broadcast or cable, in the last 20 years. I could go on for pages....but please do watch this gem of a work. EL
  88. HuongP
    Jan 26, 2007
    Awesome. Could have more football action for the ment.
  89. jimw
    Jan 24, 2007
    This is the best drama on TV, and it just keeps getting better. Bravo.
  90. AnthonyM
    Jan 16, 2007
    The show is great and i watch it every week. I especially like Jesse Plemons in the show for his on point theatrical skills and what he brings out for the rest of the characters. I'm extremely looking forward to watching the last few episodes. keep it up cast.
  91. TylerB
    Jan 4, 2007
    Best show, of ALL-TIME!
  92. JackieV
    Jan 4, 2007
    Best show on this tv season and lots of others seasons. Reminds me of Hill Street Blues which struggled initially. Hope this show can be saved because it is excellent. NBC is going for the younger demog raphics with the website featuring all the young actors, however, it is a mistake not to feature Kyle Chandler. He definitely has high appeal the middle age group. I still remember his Best show on this tv season and lots of others seasons. Reminds me of Hill Street Blues which struggled initially. Hope this show can be saved because it is excellent. NBC is going for the younger demog raphics with the website featuring all the young actors, however, it is a mistake not to feature Kyle Chandler. He definitely has high appeal the middle age group. I still remember his performance on Grey's Anatomy . Grey's messed up bad by getting rid of Denny. A LOT OF WOMEN WERE UPSET. Kyle Chandler has that same type of appeal to women. This might be a stupid suggestion but whe the football season ends soon start showing it on Friday nights when fans are in football withdrawal. I hope Wednesday end up being an improvement... if not .. give it a thought. We need to save this show! Expand
  93. Margaret
    Dec 31, 2006
    This show is poignant and feels real.
  94. JulieN
    Dec 30, 2006
    I love this show!
  95. DominickS
    Dec 28, 2006
    Remarkable stuff. I'm 45 years old and not one prone to gushing over TV shows.... but this is truly an exceptional program. Rather than provide a laundry list of the ways this show distinguishes iteself from anything else on commercial TV, I'll just give one very small example. One of the secondary characters in the show is named Buddy Garrity. He's the father of one of the Remarkable stuff. I'm 45 years old and not one prone to gushing over TV shows.... but this is truly an exceptional program. Rather than provide a laundry list of the ways this show distinguishes iteself from anything else on commercial TV, I'll just give one very small example. One of the secondary characters in the show is named Buddy Garrity. He's the father of one of the female leads (Lyla Garrity), and a booster for the football program. To top it off, he's a car salesman. There was a scene where he was involved in negotiating accomodations with the officials of a school the team would be playing in an all-black (or nearly anyway) city. In discussing with the coach's wife (the other school representative) how they should approach the negotiations, he made a not-too-veiled racist remark. Something like "You know how these people are...." Now in most every other show I've ever seen, that would be a signal to expect two things. First, a passionate dramatic rebuke by the coaches wife. And second that he would be uniformly sleazy in all aspects of his character, having no redeeming features whatsoever. That is, he would become a charicature. A racist, car-dealer....surely the devil himself! Niether happened. Instead the coaches while, somewhat taken aback, just continued her dialog with him, taking care of business. That is, she dealt with it like a NORMAL PERSON would. And later we got to see the Garrity character dealing with his daughter's anguish over becoming a school pariah. How does he act? Like a loving dad. Not a Father-Knows-Best. But surely a father who loves his daughter with all his soul. Again, a real, abeit seriously flawed character. I could give similar examples for every character. Suffice it to say that if you're interested in interesting, well-spun stories about REAL people, please please check out this show. You won't regret it. Dominick Expand
  96. mikef
    Dec 22, 2006
    Best new show of the season.
  97. mikek
    Dec 21, 2006
    Finally a show on tv that I can watch.
  98. HanL
    Dec 11, 2006
    I'm at a loss to remember the last time I found a television drama as intelligent, engaging, and hewn to the highest standards as this one. Perhaps the first season of ER comes close. The acting, photography, and editing are all top notch, but it's the writing that keeps this viewer glued to the screen for the first time in a decade, perhaps more.
  99. jacobt
    Dec 8, 2006
    Camera work made me want to puke. Nice cast though
  100. JoeAverage
    Dec 3, 2006
    I recently caught an episode, and I must say I was instantly hooked. NBC have gotten some decent shows this season, huh? (Heroes also comes to mind) I live in a large (northern) city and have never had much interest in football or religion, so I have no idea if the show's an accurate depicition of life in smalltown Texas. The characters run the gambit of cliches, and you can see most I recently caught an episode, and I must say I was instantly hooked. NBC have gotten some decent shows this season, huh? (Heroes also comes to mind) I live in a large (northern) city and have never had much interest in football or religion, so I have no idea if the show's an accurate depicition of life in smalltown Texas. The characters run the gambit of cliches, and you can see most of the ' BIG TWIST's in the storyline from a mile away, but the show overall? Wow. Maybe its the refreshing earnestness of the whole production. Can't place a finger on exactly why this show leaves all the other's in its desert dust, but definitely a keeper. Too bad about the ratings though. Expand

1. The biggest and most pleasant surprise of the season.
    Surprisingly wise and moving.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    Has the same quick-cut look, crisp dialogue and bone-crunching game scenes [ast the movie].