• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 9, 2008
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.3

1. Oct 8, 2014
    From the creators Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who always are working closely with J.J Abrams, comes one of the most mysterious and entertaining TV-Shows.

I totally love Fringe, because it keeps me asking more and more questions about the mysterious events in the series, which truly keeps me watching the show. The high amount of science fiction truly is fascinating to watch, even if
    that it's not something completely new and original, because many things in Fringe I've already seen in sci-fi shows like Stargate and Star Trek, but in the end are all the episodes in Fringe awesome to watch. The intro of Fringe is another thing that I truly adore about fringe, so touching!

When it comes to a TV-show like Fringe, the quality of every episode may vary much, and this first season felt like it became drama-like after the 10th episode, which I didn't find entertaining at all. Another thing is that the mysterious feeling surrounding Fringe kind of disappeared after the 10th episode, but eventually got it's mojo back in the season finale. Overall is Fringe an awesome sci-fi show that I find is superb to watch, even that the CGI isn't the best I've seen.

Fringe is a TV-show that truly is packed with action, sci-fi and much entertaining and mysterious things, and I wouldn't consider this show to be a supernatural drama genre, it's just a highly advanced sci-fi show.

The average score for each episode is: 7.79
    Fringe: Season 1 get a 8/10
  2. Aug 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this show. While I initially resisted watching it, I was so drawn in by the awesomely fascinating pseudoscience (giant monsters, advanced telekinetic powers, and alternate universes just to name a few) that I had no choice but to become a fan. I wish we even had half of the crazy science **** that Walter and Peter cook up on a daily basis.

Also, the acting of Anna Torv, Lance Reddick, Joshua Jackson and in particular the multi-talented John Noble, was incredible. Noble never failed to inspire awe at his talent, moving me from uproarious laughter to near tears in a single episode on many occasions, and his great dynamic with Joshua Jackson as his son Peter was a touching relationship from beginning to end. While Torv and Jackson may not have had the best relationship chemistry on screen, the choice in placing the two of them in those roles was a good one, and rarely distracted from the big picture.

The last season did seem cobbled together in service of wrapping everything up neatly, however the strength of all the previous episodes balances it out.
  3. Jul 15, 2014
    Fringe is the best TV show I've ever watched. The first season begins slowly BUT it becomes really fascinating and interesting in the middle of the first season.
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    It's rare for me to give a television show a perfect rating, but I will say, without hesitation, that Fringe is the best original Science Fiction show to come along in thirty years. When J.J Abrams started working on his follow up to Lost, he wanted to create a show that touched on everything that had been done before it. Fringe takes elements of Star Trek, The X-Files, The Twilight Zone, and others, and incorporates them all into his story. It was a show that was truly ahead of it's time and initially had a lot of network support.

The premier episode on FOX is the most expensive pilot episode ever made and the fans love it. The first two seasons of Fringe were highly rated, but not in the top ten. Not realizing what they had or the cult following it had behind it, FOX started moving the show around, eventually putting in on Friday nights, where it died after just 100 episodes. Today, the show is carried on in books and several of the cast have talked about the possibility of having it turned into a film franchise.

The story of Fringe began in 2008, when an airplane with 250 passengers on board, landed itself in Boston, without any survivors. All the agencies show up, including the FBI, who send their liaison officer, Olivia Dunham (Anna Torv). Dunham and her partner/lover are sent to do the dirty work, but stumble upon something unexpected, which puts them at the head of the investigation team. Not believing what she saw, Dunham goes in search of help, and finds a brilliant scientist, who used to do classified experiments for the U.S. Government. There is a problem of course, as the scientist, Dr. Walter Bishop (John Noble), has been in a mental institution for 17 years. In order to get him out, Dunham must track down and recruit the help of Bishop's son, Peter (Joshua Jackson), who is a con-man, working out of Iraq. With the team in place, they work to solve the impossible case and are asked by Col. Peter Broyles (Lance Reddick), to become part of a classified team of FBI members, who are assigned to work on the strange and unexplainable.

From parallel universes to time travel to human experimentation and even monsters, Fringe really incorporated everything they could into the story, in one way or another. Anna Torv stars as Agent Olivia Dunham and what a star she is. How J.J. Abrams found her is nothing short of amazing in and of itself. Torv hadn't been in very many things, but had an impressive background, that includes her being a martial arts expert, who speaks multiple languages. They put her talents to use and make her the new head investigator of the Fringe division. Torv was the action star of the show, who turned out to be even more, when the cast met their duplicates from the alternate universe in season 3. I really can not express in words how terrific this woman was and how important her character was to every fascist of the story.

As for the other main character of the story, that's Dr. Walter Bishop played by John Noble. Noble is one of those guys, you've seen in movies and on television all the time, but also the kind of guy whose name you probably didn't know. With Dr. Walter Bishop, John Noble established himself as a Sci-Fi legend. Much in the way his former partner William Bell, played by Leonard Nimoy, is associated with Spock, Noble and Bishop will be forever linked. Not only does his character bring a brilliant mind to the cast, but also brings humor to the show. After being locked in a mental hospital for 17 years, there isn't much Walter won't say or do. He loves to eat, do LSD, and tell people exactly what he thinks, leading to some of the best one-liners I have ever heard in a Science Fiction series.

Fringe isn't all about the strange and unusual, it's also about family, action, love, and humor. I can tell you that it is the single most addictive show I've seen in my entire life. I wound up watching all 100 episodes in under 3 months, and now that it's over, I find myself missing it and thinking about it often. Even though I'm a Netflix member with a large collection, for almost 2 weeks now, I have been sampling other series, looking for something to fill the void. I'm finding myself having trouble even getting into similar shows, the way I got into Fringe. It is one of the best television shows I have ever seen. If you're into Science Fiction this show is an absolute must see. If you're not into Science Fiction, there is still a ton of stuff here for you as well. Do yourselves a favor and treat yourself to this remarkable show while it is still streaming on Netflix.
  5. Feb 22, 2014
    In much the same way as The X-Files the first few episodes of Fringe are very much of the ‘case of the week’ variety and, seemingly at least, unconnected. As a result it didn't initially become must watch TV for me despite the interesting characters and darkly humorous script.

Once the show’s overarching plot started to take shape however I was hooked as J.J. Abrams yet again
    demonstrated his ability to tell a captivating story that has you itching to watch the next episode. Now for season two. Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2013
    Fringe will forever be one of my favourite things. I remember watching the first episode for the first time in 2008 and I was fascinated by it. I instantaneously fell in love with it. The first few episodes of the season is slightly formulaic as it introduces us to this crazy world of Fringe science, however the intensity of the show emerges a couple of episodes in. If you have never seen it before, watch it. The season finale is excellent, as is season two and three. Expand
  7. May 28, 2013
    I'm shocked to see the ignorance of some critics, this is one of the most original and engaging science fiction of modern television. And John Noble's acting is outstanding, the notion that he was't nominated for Emmy for best supporting actor is ridiculous! Now season 1 has an interesting main plot, but some side stories makes it shine even more!
  8. Apr 2, 2013
    Excellent show. Smart, intelligent, great characters. The show's twists and cliff-hangers are reminiscent of Lost. The storylines continue to grow and intrigue the more you watch. One of my all-time favorite shows, stick with it!
  9. Mar 18, 2013
    Terrible terrible terrible.

For the majority of the season, 15 out of 20 episodes, it's just filler, as nothing is happening. Random episodes, or "monster of the week" episodes, most of them NOT being interesting.

A few (but I insist on A FEW) contain a some information about the mythology behind the series, which at times SHOWS that it can be an interesting one. It's too bad all the
    good stuff is separated by all the incredibly boring stuff. HONESTLY, if someone didn't have recommended me to watch this, I would've probably stopped at episode 10. With the exception of the pilot, which sets a good tone for the series, the following 6 episodes are just reharshes of the second episode. But almost NOTHING of worth ever happens. Don't believe someone who says this START OFF A LITTLE WEAK. It's start of pretty damn bland. And it remains that way for the most of the first season. I have watched only the first 2 seasons so far, and the second season fares better, if slightly. RESULT: 6 out of 10. Expand
  10. Jan 28, 2013
    I love Fringe. It's what science fiction should be about. The actual science may not be 100% accurate (pointed out by some of my scientist friends), but can it tell a story. Throughout all 5 seasons, the cast, crew, writers, and directors make you care about the characters so deeply, you feel as though you become a part of it.

Without giving it away, Fringe enters into the realm of
    fringe science with the help of Dr. Walter Bishop who did dozens of experiments back in the 70s and 80s with the help of Dr. William Bell. Strange things are happening to the world and the Fringe division go out and try to find out who's behind it and why. The show enters the first season with investigations and from the second season forward they venture into areas that you can't even imagine. Definitely worth a watch. Expand
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    Suffer through the first 2 or so seasons and end up with an amazing show. The current season is the best so far (season 5). I can't believe it got almost cancelled.
  12. Oct 12, 2012
    Fringe begins on a low note, but builds upon its baseline a creative and intriguing storyline, never repeating itself, always different, and always moving forward. It can be confusing at times, the plot rivals that of doctor who in complexity, but for the open-minded fringe stimulates the mind and asks important questions about the nature of humanity. Stay on the rollercoaster, and you will be entertained for a very long time! Expand
  13. Sep 12, 2012
    Fringe, is simply put, the best sci-fi series since X-Files season one. I NEVER miss an episode. The writing, acting, stories, and production is flawless!!!! I am going to be devastated by the loss of this, my favorite tv series in ages!!!!
  14. Jul 10, 2012
    Unlike J.J. Abram's other projects, Fringe really takes some time to shine. But when it does, the show is incredible. Give Fringe some time, a show with this much creativity and personality is rare. John Noble is a standout star in the first season of the show. If you love J.J.'s other projects Lost and Alcatraz, or were a fan of The X Files or The Twilight Zone, this show is a must-see.
  15. Jun 6, 2012
    One of the best shows to ever come across a TV screen. As others have pointed out, the 1st season does take a few episodes to hook you in. But once that happens, the show gets better every single episode. Definitely worth checking out.
  16. May 28, 2012
    Deeply disappointed that this show is coming back for only one more season. I love the characters and the interesting stories produced each week. I especially love this season and the message that true love between soul mates cannot be erased. By far, the best series FOX has produced since the X-Files. I wish SyFy would pick up this series.
  17. Apr 14, 2012
    Outstanding performances from Anna Torv, John Noble, and Blair Brown. Engaging concept, intelligent writing, gripping cliffhangers. Able directing, skillful photography, exciting action sequences.
  18. Apr 14, 2012
    Fringe is an amazing show. I've been watching it ever since around the middle of the first season which hooked me in. If you miss an episode, you have to see it. The show can get very confusing if you don't follow along well. If you do keep up, though, and you pay attention, it's a very funny, scary, awesome, and just all around great show to watch. I give it an 8 because of the fact that it can get very confusing. Expand
  19. Apr 2, 2012
    Another great show. Can only fault it in that sometimes it can get a bit confusing due to the amount of information that the viewer needs to remember. Enjoying the acting & the storyline but would like to see the current arc ending soon & a return to the original format at least for a while.
  20. Mar 2, 2012
    Fringe is currently the greatest show on television. I know everyone says that, but in my opinion this is true. It is undoubtedly the most complex, intelligent, and startlingly beautiful story that a TV show could be. The myriad of twists and turns, incredible characters (supported by absolutely fabulous acting), and wonderful plot developments draw you in. Once the viewer is past the first few weaker episodes, the viewer reaches the event horizon and is slowly destroyed while thoughts of Fringe occupy almost every waking moment (at least for me :D). This show is art in its greatest form. Expand
  21. Feb 17, 2012
    To many episodes that don't make plot roll, resuming you could have done this entire season in 12 episodes , that makes a little boring to watch, Although, the series have some good sci-fi police action.
  22. Jan 25, 2012
    Fringe is simply amazing and John Noble is as well. It's the best sci-fi show in T.V!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  23. Jan 21, 2012
    I'm giving fringe an 8. It doesn't deserve it. Season 1 was okay. I lost interest but then regained it sometime later and watch about halfway from season 1 to the end of season 2. Season 2 was good. Season 3 was "wow" Then, almost out of nowhere, what happened? I mean, really, like, um, huh, what, why, stoopid. Yeah. That's how I feel about season 4. I misspelled stupid on purpose it was that stoopid. It's so unfortunate that such a great show will soon be cancelled without continuing the great story line from seasons 2 and 3.

Fringe, i'll give you an 8 for the past enjoyment you have given me, but, R.I.P.
  24. Jan 19, 2012
    It's entertaining at its best, but never exciting.. I'm watching the 1st season now, but it never makes me care what happen to the characters; the hotchpotch of sf-themes don't improve things either..
  25. Jan 6, 2012
    Fantastic series and fantastic actors. It is the worthy heir of x-files, Take it and renew. I don't understand the negative votes. only defect: it's too short
  26. Nov 18, 2011
    Absolutely amazing series! Has a bit of a slow start building up the story line and plot but once it gets going there is no stopping it. The story is very well written and expands on a lot of different concepts which are complicated but are explained well so that any viewer can understand them. I highly encourage any sci-fi and fictional fans to watch and get into this series as there is alot more to come! Expand
  27. Oct 27, 2011
    Fringe is an excellent show that is its own. The reviews saying that it is a bad x-files knockoff are groundless. Just because it is about unusual scientific occurrences doesn't mean that it is trying to be like x-files. Fringe has its own story and likable characters with its own direction. The only time I was disappointed was when it turned into a cartoon under circumstances that would spoil the show if I said. One review wrote off Fringe simply because of the advertising campaign which is complete and utter balls. Expand
  28. Oct 23, 2011
    Ok, where to begin with why this show sucks and is one of the greatest wastes of time I've ever seen. "I Know it, I know what we need! Oh, I need a root beer float actually....and I just pissed myself." Watch it, you'll see what I'm talking about.
  29. Sep 18, 2011
    It's an incredible show, I've seen a lot of series but nothing with the quality of Fringe.You see the episodes and only gets better and better.Unquestionably the best show on TV
  30. Aug 17, 2011
    JJ is a genius! This show become more and more intriguing every episode. There are no words to describe Anna Torv.... When she smiles my heart stops beating!
  31. Jul 22, 2011
    Simply amazing. I have no words for describing this show. One of the best shows ever made. Good acting, good story, amazing development.... A must see for sci-fi fans.
  32. Jul 14, 2011
    SEASON BY SEASON REVIEW: FIRST SEASON: Where you'll be forgiven for making an X-files comparison. This season is more procedural and monster of the week format where the lead characters are just starting to get familiar with each other while greater mysteries are introduced. Don't let the X-files snobs who think the unending angst of the Scully/Mulder relationship that takes a decade to develop is the be-all and end-all of mystery television. I found this show to actually evolve their character relationships season to season. Only this season has an echo of the X-files dynamic to it. SEASON 1 SCORE - 7.5 SECOND SEASON: First half builds into some of the most poignantly acted family drama I've ever seen done in the second half. Continues to take you from heartbreaking and hilarious seamlessly like a high quality movie every week and invests you in the characters. SEASON 2 SCORE - 9.5 1st half, 10 second half. THIRD SEASON: The first half expertly executes hard to predict twists and turns that keep you on the edge of your seat and guessing and yes, sometimes I was screaming at the TV at the many OMG moments. I can't think of any episodes on TV that have ever been better then these episodes. EVER. The 2nd half gets a little quieter because unlike other dramas this one actually lets the characters breathe and grow a bit after their experiences. Some may find it lags after the earlier intense excitement but I found this turn to be true to its stellar character development the show excels at. Then it gives you a big bang of OMG exciting plot twists at the end of the season to set up for what's sure to be a wonderfully brain twisting season 4 that will keep you guessing. There is good reason why it has been talked about as one of if not the most shocking season finales of the year. SEASON 3 SCORE: 10 first half, 9 middle half except for a 10 for the whole 3 part finale. IN CONCLUSION: Yes this has been billed as a sci-fi show, but I find the sci-fi elements have only been to serve the greater themes of exploring what it means to be a family and what it means to be you, a human being. If you're someone who likes a good Oscar winning drama that explores the human condition you'll love this show. IMO that's why I think it hasn't gotten the recognition it deserves - its been too easy to call it 'a sci-fi show' in the press not realizing the stereotype drags it down. Hope this review has been helpful to you. Expand
  33. May 7, 2011
    This is one of the greatest shows on TV! The characters are interesting and fantastic, the episodes are enjoyable intriguing and the series just gets better and better. JJ Abram's has done a fantastic job at creating such a fantastic show. Can't wait to see what else the show has to offer.
  34. Apr 23, 2011
    Huge fan of Fringe! Ever since the first episode this show has rocked every crazy thought of our reality and the world we live in! Great acting, great production value and cool effects, what more can i say, this show rocks!!
  35. Apr 22, 2011
    fringe is ok and entertaining. it's got some good ideas and concepts but the execution, storytelling and characters don't always feel plausible or believable. imo the x-files did this genre better.
  36. Apr 6, 2011
    Slow at first, but still good, the first season of Fringe was a decent start to a series that would eventually graduate to the level of completely amazing.
  37. Mar 18, 2011
    It starts out slow, but finishes fantastic. It is NOTHING like the X-files, besides the fact that both are about companies exploring the unexplainable. Again, it's NOT an X-files copy. I was skeptical about Anna Torv, (the leading female) and her acting was lacking at first, but she's gotten better. WAY better. Joshua Jackson is great, but the best acting comes from John Noble (Dr Walter Bishop). This show is well done and I can't wait to watch every single episode. Expand
  38. Mar 8, 2011
    The plot is a little hard to follow, but is an excellent story, worth watching. Great creative concept. Good actors. Perfect mix of action, humor, scifi and drama.
  39. Feb 16, 2011
    Best written show on TV right now, with phenomenal work by John Noble and Joshua Jackson. Anna Torv started out shaky but has grown with seasons 2 and especially here in season 3.

It will be tragic when FOX kills it with this move to Friday nights.
  40. Jan 23, 2011
    For me Fringe is one of the best series ever made in the past. I really hope there will be a 4th season because I love Fringe!! And John Noble play his part very brilliant!! 10.0
  41. JLB
    Nov 29, 2010
    It's similiarities to the X-Files are superficial. Fringe goes places the X-Files had never even considered. Alternate realities, and their monsters and psychos. It's like the Fantastic Four.
  42. Nov 21, 2010
    An original show that is able to make you think yet feel like your just along for an exciting ride!
    I think this show is boldly taking sci-fi to a totally different realm away from aliens and crazy unimaginable/otherwordly gadgets and concepts to something extraordinary yet believable and it is opening up the sci-fi genre to be more widely accepted by not only regular sci fi fans but new
    fans that were originally turned off of the regular sci fi Expand
  43. Nov 3, 2010
    The first season of this show was the only one worth watching. The show did a good job at differentiating itself apart from other similar shows before it. While it still maintained some healthy similarities. I liked this season a lot. Just wish some series actually had a planned ending and not a never ending plot extension to make more money.
  44. Oct 18, 2010
    I love the first season of Fringe. It really opened up some interesting questions about science and the nature of reality. I find all three main characters interesting and compelling.
  45. Oct 17, 2010
    The first season provided some really interesting and bizarre cases, but the highlight, for me, was John Noble's portrayal of Walter. The fact that he did not receive an Emmy nomination was blasphemous, and the show is worthy as well.

The last half-hour of the pilot is by far the best part of Fringe; it’s full of twists, turns, action and suspense. And the first 20 minutes or so, in which a team of federal agents investigate a mysterious occurrence on a commercial airliner, is brisk and efficient, if (like much of Fringe) a little bombastic and overdirected. Aside from a cinematic dream sequence, the middle hour of Fringe is much more problematic.
  2. It has good characters and plenty of action. It keeps its science fiction accessible, not abstract. Maybe best of all, it has a great sense of humor.
    Lots of good action and lots of fun to boot.