From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.0

1. Apr 16, 2014
    Its both like and completely unlike the movie. I saw the film as a kid, and enjoyed it for a guilty pleasure. The series is something I am proud to enjoy. Its kept the thrilling breakneck pace that makes me hold my breath, waiting to see what comes next. But it grew past that annoying Tarantino "ooh, its so shocking" style. I LOVE this. I love the inventive use of Mesoamerican myth. As aIts both like and completely unlike the movie. I saw the film as a kid, and enjoyed it for a guilty pleasure. The series is something I am proud to enjoy. Its kept the thrilling breakneck pace that makes me hold my breath, waiting to see what comes next. But it grew past that annoying Tarantino "ooh, its so shocking" style. I LOVE this. I love the inventive use of Mesoamerican myth. As a lover of mythology I am happy with the inventive way its invoked…In episode 6 I bet a few people caught Carlos' reference to Tezcatlipoca, the Aztec god also called the dark mirror. I love the reference to the Aztec myth of the two brothers who escape Hell, too. Its so fitting! Amazing research. Sadly most people just don't know enough to catch that, but then this series has something for anyone with an open mind. Expand
  2. May 21, 2014
    i love this series so much been a fan of the film since i was 9 :) and i love richie even more in the series he's crazy and lovable just want to cuddle him lol amazing cast and the series has everything i wanted to happen in the film :) cant wait for season 2
  3. Jun 11, 2014
    I am currently on episode 8 and so far the show is great, it has expanded upon everything that is in the movie and done it very well.

The casting is excellent and besides expanding upon the story and characters of the movie they are delving deeper into the supernatural elements in some interesting ways.
  4. May 5, 2014
    Great series. It has all the big dumb schlocky charm of the original movie, only expanded to fill about 10 hours worth. Rather than just padding out the runtime with filler, the show actually adds new content that fits into the existing framework without wrecking it. Dare I say, in some cases is bolsters it, for example explaining why Ritchie is a little off without resorting toGreat series. It has all the big dumb schlocky charm of the original movie, only expanded to fill about 10 hours worth. Rather than just padding out the runtime with filler, the show actually adds new content that fits into the existing framework without wrecking it. Dare I say, in some cases is bolsters it, for example explaining why Ritchie is a little off without resorting to "because he's crazy, duh" like the film did.

The casting for the various parts is actually pretty well done. While nobody can be George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino except Clooney and Tarantino, the Seth and Ritchie in this series are different enough that you don't really miss them past the end of the first episode. D.J. Cotrona's Seth is a dashing rogue that sits a little closer to the rogue side than Clooney's turn as the character, while Zane Holtz's Ritchie leaves you simultaneously afraid of and feeling sympathetic for him.

If you're looking for a 1:1 recreation of the movie, this isn't if. If you're looking for an updated re-interpretation of the material that still hits all the same key points while adding a few new ones, you will be pretty damn happy.
  5. May 23, 2014
    Well i've seen a lot of negative mentions about the series, and mostly they were from fans of original film.
    Okay i watched original film when i was kid and i liked it. But let's be honest, the original film was pretty stupid and i can't call it a serious film, it was just a trash horror with a touch of humor.
    And now look into the series, it's well conceived. There are a really
    And now look into the series, it's well conceived. There are a really structured setting, characters with history and smooth storyline. So you can't simply compare series with film or vice versa, because these two products represents two completely different genres.
    I liked the series, it's interesting, it looks like something familiar but still new. And hey, it's a fresh vision on the vampire stuff, among all of current TV-shows about the bloodsuckers =)
  6. May 29, 2015
    I think From Dusk TIll Dawn is a very nice, but inconsistent(esp. the story) tv show ! It has pretty badass moments, but also very boring sequences, but it´s worth a shot !
  7. Feb 13, 2016
    This is well made diligently following the movie events but with a twist. Keeps you wanting to watch the next episode. I've not seen season 2 yet which moves the story out of the movie events but so far its good to watch.
  8. Feb 24, 2016
    Rarely does a movie derived show come along where the deviation takes a more entertaining path. Jessie Garcia outshines every role until this show, where he portrays Freddie Garcia, there is believable conviction, spot on. Eiza Gonzalez, this is the first time I've ever seen her acting, honestly, not that bad. Zane Holtz plays it perfectly suited in the Richard Gecko role, precise andRarely does a movie derived show come along where the deviation takes a more entertaining path. Jessie Garcia outshines every role until this show, where he portrays Freddie Garcia, there is believable conviction, spot on. Eiza Gonzalez, this is the first time I've ever seen her acting, honestly, not that bad. Zane Holtz plays it perfectly suited in the Richard Gecko role, precise and haunting. In the midrange you have Jake Busey who is has, to some extent made Gary proud. Quite possibly strongest role worth watching for is Wilmer Walderrama, he shows enormous potential as an actor, I was quite pleasantly surprised. Weakest role, D.J Cotrona, he seemed more like a tertiary character for the most part.

I like the fact that the writing, production and execution has not been wasted in going over the top, there are some moments where in typical Rodriguez style, there's a moment shown to remind you that this is a TV show, however, it never seems to take much away from the overall presentation. The slow paced moments do seems a little longer compared to other shows, however enduring these scenes you will find some humorous moments.
  9. Apr 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 9 out of 10 i have to see what the second season does with the story, since season one is the expansion of the film. But man oh man what a great show that this is. big surprises with the acting of Richie, wow he is amazing like a cross of Cillian Murphy crossed with Michael Shannon, and Fez from that 70's show is so hammy and amusing. Robert Patrick outshines Harvey Kitel. its fun and intriguing with the expansion of the mythos how these vamps are like snakes with scales cobra fangs instead of the usual pointy teeth. and seth does his very subtle George Clooney inspired performance, with head bobs and shakes, inflections and tone. i'm very surprised by the show and cant wait for more, it has to be better then the direct to video movie sequels. Expand
  10. May 13, 2014
    I think the series is amazing, a lot of differences between the movie (which was more fun) and the series. I'm waiting to see the end of the first season and i'm sure the second is going to be even more interesting. Good job.
  11. Apr 14, 2014
    Come on people, i think this is more structured than the film, anyway many people compare the film to the series, i thinks is a good job, more dark and much a deep history.
  12. Mar 22, 2014
    Antes que nada, no he visto la película y creo que mas que nada es por eso que el piloto me pareció totalmente genialmente, porque la mayoría de los que le dan criticas desfavorables es porque comparan con el film.
    Espero que el resto de la temporada se mantenga tan entretenido como fue el piloto.
  13. May 29, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, I wanted to like the show because Rodriguez himself was behind it and the actors seem likeable. I also wanted to like it because previous Netflix orginals were amazing and this show was sure to be one as well. However, this show fell extremely short of my expectations. I kept trudging on from episode to episode, expecting it to get better. Alas, with each episode, IDon't get me wrong, I wanted to like the show because Rodriguez himself was behind it and the actors seem likeable. I also wanted to like it because previous Netflix orginals were amazing and this show was sure to be one as well. However, this show fell extremely short of my expectations. I kept trudging on from episode to episode, expecting it to get better. Alas, with each episode, I grew not to love the Gecko brothers, but to hate them and every. single. character. I ultimately had to end my suffering after five episodes.
    This show lacks one very important thing - good writing. The writing is not only weak, but it insults the viewer by assuming the viewer is dumb. It's infuriating to watch the Fullers and Freddie make irrational decisions as well as for the Gecko brothers to keep slipping past police in ways that obviously won't happen in the real world. Human beings can't possibly be as stupid as they are depicted on the show! The actual dialogue is uninspired - filled with corny sayings and lacks the sharpness found in other Netflix shows like House of Cards or Orange is the New Black.
    I'm not going to get into the acting or the strange pacing of the show because I can go on and on about those things and several other faults of the show. Instead, I'll end off with one positive: the movie was great and this show had so much potential to expand on the stories of the characters as well as the mythology. Anti-heroes, characters with mysterious pasts, and ancient Mesoamerican supernatural beings? This is the recipe for a great show! Some better writing could have made this show one of my favourites.
    I'm giving this show a 4 as opposed to the 2 or 3 that it deserves because I still have hope that the remaining five episodes I have yet to watch were somewhat of an improvement. Sadly, I don't think I can stomach it and so, my journey with this show ends at episode five.
  14. Jul 1, 2014
    This show sucks. It ruins the original movie in every single way. The original movie was perfect, I loved it. This is just an abomination. On the show they talk about the monsters being some kind of snake monsters. They were originally vampires and I hate this new take on them. They look stupid to me with the snake fangs and the scales.

I'm on episode 7 now, trying to give this show a

I'm on episode 7 now, trying to give this show a fair shake but this is almost unwatchable for me. I just can't get past how ridiculous the monsters look. This show is not doing the original movie any justice at all.
  15. Apr 6, 2014
    Episode one, even though weird in its structure, looked kind of promising. Episode 2 was already on a very low level and by episode 3 they really reached the bottom. No story line, constant flashbacks. Non-linear timeline didn't work for the 'Event' and it definitely won't work for a supernatural horror story on snake humans. DJ Cotrona seems to be a good actor but his talents totallyEpisode one, even though weird in its structure, looked kind of promising. Episode 2 was already on a very low level and by episode 3 they really reached the bottom. No story line, constant flashbacks. Non-linear timeline didn't work for the 'Event' and it definitely won't work for a supernatural horror story on snake humans. DJ Cotrona seems to be a good actor but his talents totally wasted on this show. Expand
  16. May 21, 2014
    At first, with the hallucinations and such, I was not sure if I wanted to keep watching, But by the 4th episode I was hooked. These people attempting to critique the series based on the first couple episodes don't have anything going for them. A well thought-out series with the only downside being the wait for the next season!
  17. Apr 2, 2014
    God. I was hoping that this one would be good. I wasn't a really big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, so I wasn't expecting much. Rodriguez hasn't made a tv show after a long time, so at least that got me excited. When I switched on Netflix and watched about 5 minutes of the first episode- i wasn't happy. The starting was really bad, and when you notice that 5 MINUTES into the show, you knowGod. I was hoping that this one would be good. I wasn't a really big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, so I wasn't expecting much. Rodriguez hasn't made a tv show after a long time, so at least that got me excited. When I switched on Netflix and watched about 5 minutes of the first episode- i wasn't happy. The starting was really bad, and when you notice that 5 MINUTES into the show, you know something is wrong. The characters are washed out. The story is washed out. The thrills are washed out. And the acting, please don't make me laugh. DJ. Cortona as Seth Gecko!????!!! Zane Holtz as Richard Gecko?!!!! What were they thinking? These boys have no charm like the original George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino, which makes it washed out acting. Well, Fake blood, stupid washed out story, characters, screenplay and acting- are all what FDTD has to offer you. Do yourself a favor and watch the trailer for the new 24 tv show. Expand
  18. Apr 1, 2014
    I watched the first 2 episodes and was like meh...halfway into episode 3, I said no way! 3 episodes in, there's constant flashbacks, bad acting and in all honesty, whats the point??? About 20 minutes into the third episode, I said 'F' this and put on the movie instead; I really do not need to waste my time with all this fluff. Richie drawing some BS symbol and hearing/seeing vampires?!?I watched the first 2 episodes and was like meh...halfway into episode 3, I said no way! 3 episodes in, there's constant flashbacks, bad acting and in all honesty, whats the point??? About 20 minutes into the third episode, I said 'F' this and put on the movie instead; I really do not need to waste my time with all this fluff. Richie drawing some BS symbol and hearing/seeing vampires?!? WTF!!! Shows like this and movies like Machete Kills is what's wrong with the people...we eat anything up....will NOT be tuning in again... Expand
  19. May 21, 2014
    This was one of the most boring pilot episodes ever! Nothing caught my attention. I didn't feel anything. Characters are just blank. It's wtf. I'm deeply disappointed.
  20. Mar 21, 2014
    Two episodes into the first season and I'm not sure.

Two episodes into the first season and I'm not sure.

Kinda hipstery without being hip. Tarrantino-inspired script but lacking Tarrantino. Big explosions that used to be cool a few decades ago, mostly silly nowadays. Gunshots that either always miss or never. A vampire situation that isn't particularly dreadful or scary. And speaking of hit-or-miss, the acting, the dialogue, everything really. Hinckley from the New York Daily News said 'Fans of the film will devour the TV series' and I beg to differ as a fan of the original film. Jury is still out, sometimes shows like this can catch a stride, but for me anyway, it hasn't yet.
  21. Apr 14, 2014
    nothing new added , just a remake in tv series of the movie
    a series for fans of the movie, with a new aproach in the maniac mind of Richie
    nothing more to add
  22. May 1, 2014
    I truly like this show, it has its own version of the movie. The actors are good and I love Eiza Gonzales. If anything they need to add a little sex into it. Other than that. Thumbs up!!
  23. Jan 26, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. horrible , the story changed to much from the movie . now richey is not a serial killer rapist . nope now he is a totally sane guy possessed by a knife and he no longer rapes anyone or even wants to rape anyone . wtf guys its so bad avoid it like the plague .
    thats just the tip of the ice berg .everything has changed its not authentic in the slightest . carlos now SETS THEM UP TO GO TO THE BAR BECAUSE HE IS THE HEAD VAMPIRE ,INSTEAD OF SAVING THEM FROM THE BAR LIKE HE DID IN THE MOVIE . rightttttttttttttttt nuff said so bad so bad .
  24. Aug 24, 2014
    A different spin on the first movie. It's got a more serious tone and provides some interesting twists on characters and events from the first film. While I felt the movie was more of a turn your brain off and enjoy the carnage and craziness, the show has got a little more going on. The plot is deeper and there's an overall theme that something more sinister is going on in the background.A different spin on the first movie. It's got a more serious tone and provides some interesting twists on characters and events from the first film. While I felt the movie was more of a turn your brain off and enjoy the carnage and craziness, the show has got a little more going on. The plot is deeper and there's an overall theme that something more sinister is going on in the background.

Much like the movie the vampires don't show up until the second half. Also much like in the movie the show takes on a different feel and tone, although here it's not quite as noticeable. The show can feel like it's being stretched out a little too much at times. Like the writer/writers are trying hard to take one plot element and try to fill the episodes running time with it. It can lead to a feeling like there just isn't enough content in the movie to make for a show, even with the new inclusions. Speaking of new inclusions it feels like the new character played by Jesse Garcia was created only to help fill the void. Unfortunately I feel his character and plot-lines fall short.

So this first season gets a little rocky at times, but overall it's still a lot of fun. Fans of the movie should enjoy this new take on the material, and those who found the movie a little too goofy for their tastes should enjoy the more serious tone. The show does get better as it progresses, and the ending hints at greater things to come in season 2. As it stand now it's an enjoyable first season, and I give it a 7.8/10.
  25. Jun 11, 2016
    Somewhere in a dusty liquor store along a high road between anywhere and nowhere(probably Mexico) two Texas rangers, the shopkeeper and about a dozen bottles of booze get downed in a shootout. The perpetrators are two young men who take their dress code cues from those criminals in Reservoir Dogs, the movie by Tarantino.

Robert Rodriguez is at the helm of the pilot as its producer

Robert Rodriguez is at the helm of the pilot as its producer which means we get the same level of violence we know Tarantino for, but none of the great dialog, brilliant situations and stellar cast. Rodriguez has gotten himself a cult following after making a movie about vampires that bears the same name as this series and this has convinced someone that money should be sunk into this series. It has otherwise barely anything to do with the movie, except that it has the same title, has the two psychopaths in suits on the run bearing the same name and women of the young nubile kind that are actually monsters. Monsters mind you, not vampires.

The pilot might have taken five minutes to show the gunfight and thus ended there and then which is a little too short to be acceptable.Therefore someone has decided upon having lengthy flashbacks interrupting and garble the flow of the tale. This includes one for a character that gets offed in the pilot and thus is a waste of time.. But even that is not enough to stretch out the running time, so the people who get shot do not die, but instead linger on so that they can exchange spoken text and even get up to shoot at the two suits again.
    But even that is not enough therefore we get several monologues and weird conversations that aspire to be Tarantino like but aren't.
    Next to that the women that are taken hostage are bound and have their mouth taped, yet they are not some scenes later. So what is it? They even get to kick one of the suits who is lying on the ground repeatedly while his buddy just gawks at them. This despite the fact that a few minutes previous they were contemplating killing everyone as to leave no witnesses, but they decided to kill everyone but not the two girls. But apparently the girls can just kick their asses without so much as being slapped or threatened by the disturbed criminals. They just walk out as if nothing has happened. I guess it all gets explained eventually

The whole wouldn't have mattered if there had just be someone to cheer on. But even the cop that survives being shot several times and is bend on justice of the revenge kind, doesn't endear. And certainly not the two serial killers and the monstrous women, however pretty they all look.

A pilot is supposed to give you a taste of the series. So if you like series that bears the same name as the movie about vampires that does not play between dusk and dawn, has no vampires, has no compelling characters, has no engaging dialog and lacks a coherent script then this is the one for you. It might even be called: pretty Rodriguez like.
  26. Aug 21, 2015
    The acting is not always good and the CGI effects are sometimes horrible but this series is interesting, gory and really entertaining.No it's not a big carnage with a lot of blood like the movie and some fans of the original movie might be disappointed but it's still a great TV show.
  27. Sep 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It resembles the original movie in many ways and also un-resembles the movie in many ways, for example the vampires are snake vampires and have venom in their fangs,instead of vampires I refer to them as snakepires, I've watched episode 1-7 so far and the snakepires seem to tolerate sunlight pretty well, except one of the main snakepires played by actor Wilmer Valderrama from that 70's show wears a pair of gloves or a hat when he is out in direct sunlight, also after drinking blood he can take the forms of various people morphing into them. I also enjoyed seeing actor Jake Busey who is the son of Actor Gary Busey in this TV series, Jake plays a professor and goes undercover as "sex machine" at the bar and has a loaded gun for his private parts playing off of the character "sex machine" from the original movie played by actor Tom Savini, Jake Busey also stared in the movie starship troopers (1997) so it was interesting see Jake in this movie ! The Tv series also takes the madness of Richard Gecko further than the movie did, in the TV series it turns out to be snakepire queen Santanico Pandemonium playing on Richards enter thoughts and driving him to the brink of madness with various hallucinations ! Also actor Don Johnson pays a visit to the Tv series playing the character Earl McGraw who is a Texas ranger, of course the TV series as fun as it is, is not as good as the original movie, it does have some cheese to it, but over all I must say I'm enjoying the series thus far ! Expand
  28. May 30, 2015
    "From Dusk Till Dawn" was a 1996 movie starring George Clooney, Quentin Tarantino (who also wrote the movie), and Juliette Lewis. The basic premise is the Gecko brothers go on a crime spree and end up south of the border in some VERY unexpected consequences.

Season 1 of TV show (also directed by Robert Robert Rodriguez) follows the same path as the movie and then continues elsewhere. A season 2 is also in the works. It originally aired on the El Rey channel (which I dont get) and then went to Netflix.

Visually the show is beautiful. There were also some standout actors including Wilmer Valderrama as Carlos Madrigal and Eiza Gonzalez as Santánico Pandemonium. Don Johnson and Robert Patrick also make appearances.

I wont give away any more of the plot since the big reveal is what's so much fun. Dont expect to completely follow the story. It's not important. We're here for fight scenes, frightening hallucinations, and fun eye candy. If you like your horror with a side of camp, this is a series for you.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 11, 2014
    It's probably enough to say that if you like this sort of thing, this is just the sort of thing you'll like. (If the tautology fits, wear it.) Rodriguez knows how this machine works as well as anyone alive. Whether such sensationalist kicks are good for us "as a people," or indeed as people in particular, is a question the culture and its guardians and gadflies have been batting around for years. A decision is not due any time soon.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Mar 11, 2014
    Fans of the film will devour the TV series, and nonfans might give it a shot. Just be forewarned that it’s not “Blue Bloods.” It’s more like cold blood.
  3. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Mar 11, 2014
    The original film’s strengths are washed out in this version, which is instead mining it for televisual drama.