Season #: 1, 2, 3
7.0

1. Jul 1, 2014
    This show sucks. It ruins the original movie in every single way. The original movie was perfect, I loved it. This is just an abomination. On the show they talk about the monsters being some kind of snake monsters. They were originally vampires and I hate this new take on them. They look stupid to me with the snake fangs and the scales.

I'm on episode 7 now, trying to give this show a

I'm on episode 7 now, trying to give this show a fair shake but this is almost unwatchable for me. I just can't get past how ridiculous the monsters look. This show is not doing the original movie any justice at all.
  2. Apr 6, 2014
    Episode one, even though weird in its structure, looked kind of promising. Episode 2 was already on a very low level and by episode 3 they really reached the bottom. No story line, constant flashbacks. Non-linear timeline didn't work for the 'Event' and it definitely won't work for a supernatural horror story on snake humans. DJ Cotrona seems to be a good actor but his talents totallyEpisode one, even though weird in its structure, looked kind of promising. Episode 2 was already on a very low level and by episode 3 they really reached the bottom. No story line, constant flashbacks. Non-linear timeline didn't work for the 'Event' and it definitely won't work for a supernatural horror story on snake humans. DJ Cotrona seems to be a good actor but his talents totally wasted on this show. Expand
  3. Apr 2, 2014
    God. I was hoping that this one would be good. I wasn't a really big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, so I wasn't expecting much. Rodriguez hasn't made a tv show after a long time, so at least that got me excited. When I switched on Netflix and watched about 5 minutes of the first episode- i wasn't happy. The starting was really bad, and when you notice that 5 MINUTES into the show, you knowGod. I was hoping that this one would be good. I wasn't a really big fan of From Dusk Till Dawn, so I wasn't expecting much. Rodriguez hasn't made a tv show after a long time, so at least that got me excited. When I switched on Netflix and watched about 5 minutes of the first episode- i wasn't happy. The starting was really bad, and when you notice that 5 MINUTES into the show, you know something is wrong. The characters are washed out. The story is washed out. The thrills are washed out. And the acting, please don't make me laugh. DJ. Cortona as Seth Gecko!????!!! Zane Holtz as Richard Gecko?!!!! What were they thinking? These boys have no charm like the original George Clooney and Quentin Tarantino, which makes it washed out acting. Well, Fake blood, stupid washed out story, characters, screenplay and acting- are all what FDTD has to offer you. Do yourself a favor and watch the trailer for the new 24 tv show. Expand
  4. Apr 1, 2014
    I watched the first 2 episodes and was like meh...halfway into episode 3, I said no way! 3 episodes in, there's constant flashbacks, bad acting and in all honesty, whats the point??? About 20 minutes into the third episode, I said 'F' this and put on the movie instead; I really do not need to waste my time with all this fluff. Richie drawing some BS symbol and hearing/seeing vampires?!?I watched the first 2 episodes and was like meh...halfway into episode 3, I said no way! 3 episodes in, there's constant flashbacks, bad acting and in all honesty, whats the point??? About 20 minutes into the third episode, I said 'F' this and put on the movie instead; I really do not need to waste my time with all this fluff. Richie drawing some BS symbol and hearing/seeing vampires?!? WTF!!! Shows like this and movies like Machete Kills is what's wrong with the people...we eat anything up....will NOT be tuning in again... Expand
  5. May 21, 2014
    This was one of the most boring pilot episodes ever! Nothing caught my attention. I didn't feel anything. Characters are just blank. It's wtf. I'm deeply disappointed.
  6. Jan 26, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. horrible , the story changed to much from the movie . now richey is not a serial killer rapist . nope now he is a totally sane guy possessed by a knife and he no longer rapes anyone or even wants to rape anyone . wtf guys its so bad avoid it like the plague .
    thats just the tip of the ice berg .everything has changed its not authentic in the slightest . carlos now SETS THEM UP TO GO TO THE BAR BECAUSE HE IS THE HEAD VAMPIRE ,INSTEAD OF SAVING THEM FROM THE BAR LIKE HE DID IN THE MOVIE . rightttttttttttttttt nuff said so bad so bad .
  7. Jun 11, 2016
    Somewhere in a dusty liquor store along a high road between anywhere and nowhere(probably Mexico) two Texas rangers, the shopkeeper and about a dozen bottles of booze get downed in a shootout. The perpetrators are two young men who take their dress code cues from those criminals in Reservoir Dogs, the movie by Tarantino.

Robert Rodriguez is at the helm of the pilot as its producer

Robert Rodriguez is at the helm of the pilot as its producer which means we get the same level of violence we know Tarantino for, but none of the great dialog, brilliant situations and stellar cast. Rodriguez has gotten himself a cult following after making a movie about vampires that bears the same name as this series and this has convinced someone that money should be sunk into this series. It has otherwise barely anything to do with the movie, except that it has the same title, has the two psychopaths in suits on the run bearing the same name and women of the young nubile kind that are actually monsters. Monsters mind you, not vampires.

The pilot might have taken five minutes to show the gunfight and thus ended there and then which is a little too short to be acceptable.Therefore someone has decided upon having lengthy flashbacks interrupting and garble the flow of the tale. This includes one for a character that gets offed in the pilot and thus is a waste of time.. But even that is not enough to stretch out the running time, so the people who get shot do not die, but instead linger on so that they can exchange spoken text and even get up to shoot at the two suits again.
    But even that is not enough therefore we get several monologues and weird conversations that aspire to be Tarantino like but aren't.
    Next to that the women that are taken hostage are bound and have their mouth taped, yet they are not some scenes later. So what is it? They even get to kick one of the suits who is lying on the ground repeatedly while his buddy just gawks at them. This despite the fact that a few minutes previous they were contemplating killing everyone as to leave no witnesses, but they decided to kill everyone but not the two girls. But apparently the girls can just kick their asses without so much as being slapped or threatened by the disturbed criminals. They just walk out as if nothing has happened. I guess it all gets explained eventually

The whole wouldn't have mattered if there had just be someone to cheer on. But even the cop that survives being shot several times and is bend on justice of the revenge kind, doesn't endear. And certainly not the two serial killers and the monstrous women, however pretty they all look.

A pilot is supposed to give you a taste of the series. So if you like series that bears the same name as the movie about vampires that does not play between dusk and dawn, has no vampires, has no compelling characters, has no engaging dialog and lacks a coherent script then this is the one for you. It might even be called: pretty Rodriguez like.

1. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 11, 2014
    It's probably enough to say that if you like this sort of thing, this is just the sort of thing you'll like. (If the tautology fits, wear it.) Rodriguez knows how this machine works as well as anyone alive. Whether such sensationalist kicks are good for us "as a people," or indeed as people in particular, is a question the culture and its guardians and gadflies have been batting around for years. A decision is not due any time soon.
  2. Reviewed by: David Hinckley
    Mar 11, 2014
    Fans of the film will devour the TV series, and nonfans might give it a shot. Just be forewarned that it’s not “Blue Bloods.” It’s more like cold blood.
  3. Reviewed by: Sonia Saraiya
    Mar 11, 2014
    The original film’s strengths are washed out in this version, which is instead mining it for televisual drama.