• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 17, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
9.2

1. Oct 28, 2012
    In terms of location shooting, language and imagination this show has no parallel in the history of television. It's a profoundly artistic adaptation of George R R Martin's book. There are some flaws but so what? These are so easy to overlook with all that this show brings to the screen.
  2. Apr 6, 2012
    I didn't like Rome or Spartacus much but this show gets beyond just violence in olden days and delves into an Earth like middle ages where men are men and power rules, and the women are pretty amazing too. It's dark, well scripted, characters are deep, and morality raises it's head on occasions. Almost all the actors are from the UK (save Dinklage, who is my favorite character), and that's the way it should be. They have access to so many varied english accents. Expand
  3. Apr 2, 2012
    Wow. Wow, wow, wow. I could end it there and it would still be a serviceable review. I mean, God, rarely is TV this level of quality. It, in my opinion, is floating around in that area just under The Wire and Breaking Bad with shows like The Sopranos and The West Wing. It's a masterpiece. Fantasy that is actually transposable onto TV. When has this ever happened? How could dragons and mystical lands fit in so well on the HBO line-up. How? Because it's just the greatest **** show. Not the most intelligent, not the most well-written, although it is very high up in both of those categories. But it is just the most entertaining. It doesn't demand much of you like The Wire but it simply just gives you what you want without pandering to an audience. It's not simple but it is totally accessible. It's The Sopranos clashed with Lord Of The Rings and slowly told with such grandiosity for a TV show. Expand
  4. Apr 3, 2012
    Such a wonderful, wonderful show based on wonderful, wonderful books. Great characters, great storyline, great sets, and Tyrion Lannister all make sure to give you the best of everything. Honestly though, I do think it could do without the sex.
  5. Apr 16, 2013
    Season 2 of Game of Thrones seems to be all about a slow build. So many story arcs, so much mayhem. It all stirs up a thrilling, and at times chilling, adventure through a world I'm committing myself to more and more. Game of Thrones is getting better without resolving to big-budget tricks and tons of action. The character development and constant veering with the story and what you think is going to happen keeps everything from being predictable. I like it. I do think this is probably the best thing on TV now. Looking forward to season 3! Expand
  6. Apr 3, 2012
    I unfortunately had the first part of this season spoiled for me. Knowing the result of the ensuing battles is a bit of a letdown, yet somehow I had forgotten all about that during the 1 hour episode that lead off this season. It's a testament to the quality of the show, where acting, set design and writing take precedence over everything else.
  7. Jul 6, 2012
    I have been done with season 2 for a good week now and have tried watching breaking bad, but I just can't stop thinking about game of thrones! Probably my favorite show!
  8. Mar 21, 2013
    As a reader I loved how they handled the large volume of A Clash of Kings. The first book fit very well in a 10 episode framework, and I was worried about how things would be handled as the series has a ton and a half of characters and relationships to track. Consequently, things get quite different from the book, but a slavish devotion to source material would only serve to hamper this tv version, in my opinion. The acting is magnificent and the production is great. I look forward to the next season more than anything on tv! Expand
  9. Apr 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a big Game of Thrones fan and have read all the books. That said, I am finding Season Two a little disappointing. This is perhaps inevitable, as the producers and writers have to follow (mostly) George R.R. Martin's increasingly meandering narrative. In the first season, there were five distinct families: The Starks, the Night's Watch, The Targaryens, the Lannisters and Baratheons. And there were five distinct locations: Winterfell, The Wall, King's Landing, The Eyrie, and the East. All the characters fit fairly well into one or more of these families and locations. As a result, each episode could spend 15 minutes or more on an individual location or family. In Season Two, we are in the first stages of the disintegration of George R.R. Martin's narrative. Book Two, Clash of Kings, is still compelling, but by Book Three, which we should reach in Season Three, the wheels will have come off for good and the producers and writers are going to have some serious decisions (and triage) to perform. In Season Two, the number of characters has already expanded radically, as have locations. We now have the Greyjoys of Pyke, the Baratheons of Dragonstone, and fairly soon we will encounter the Baratheons, Tyrells and Martells of the South, as well as the Tullys of Riverrun and will make the acquaintance of several more loathsome Freys. This is barely supportable in a book, but not in a TV miniseries. As a result, we are already losing characters and locales (anybody notice Sansa, Rickon, or the Vale of Arryn recently?) and some key characters, such as Littlefinger are temporarily revived in pointless scenes that did not occur in the book, just to remind us that they exist and will play an important part later in the story. Fifteen-minute segments are gone, and now we are down to five or ten-minute scenes. Soon, with the proliferation of characters, we won't even have that, and the story will become more and more disjointed, just like George R.R. Martin's books. As time goes on, Martin's story becomes more dreamlike, with no beginning and no end, just a frittering away of the narrative in pointless blind alleys and ever more complicated stories with more and more and still more characters and locales added to the mix, and obvious plot pathways ignored. Martin's books are a work in progress, and they will probably never be finished, as Martin has been suffering from periodic writer's block for the past several years. The obvious conclusion to the story, a few volumes after Book Five, should be the confrontation of Fire and Ice, represented by Daenerys and her dragons on one side, and the White Walkers and Wights on the other, fighting over a Westeros devastated by the increasingly chaotic and pointless struggle of pretenders to the Iron Throne. But at the end of Book Five, Winter has still not come, Daenerys has still not invaded Westeros, the White Walkers have not come south of The Wall, and the number of pretenders to the Iron Throne just grows and grows. This is a dream that has no end, and the producers of Game of Thrones are going to have some major decisions to make. I don't envy them. With regard to the current season, I would like to see a lot more of Tyrion (Peter Dinklage), who justly has top billing now, and a lot more of Daenerys (Emilia Clarke) too, who has only gotten started. Weâ Expand
  10. Oct 1, 2013
    It's amazing that after two seasons, this show is still able to deliver an amazing episode after another. The plot is so complex with so many details, yet coherent. The characters are very rich and deep, and the actors and actresses playing them are top-notch. Twists and turns, emotionally moving scenes, brutal and sometimes sadistic scenes, this show has it all. Fantastic.
  11. Apr 19, 2012
    it is the best tv series ever created. After so long time a trully world that can compete against LOTR. The actors did an amazing job and every episode has an intriguing story. Its like consuming drugs, you want more and more, I cant wait for the next episode.
  12. Sep 17, 2012
    An already brilliant series experienced a massive leap in quality in it's second season. Possibly the greatest drama on television, and one of the best of all time.
  13. Apr 2, 2012
    HBO has so many great shows, and the highest compliment I can pay GOT is that it ranks right up there with The Wire and Deadwood. Actually, nothing can compare to The Wire, but if that possibility existed, GOT would be right there knocking at the door.
  14. Apr 6, 2012
    I first thought that this season would be awesome. Then I remembered the third book, and oh well, it's gonna get even better. I'm already dying to see the next episode. An incredible epic saga to be remembered.
  15. Jun 20, 2012
    They totally screwed up this series when compared with the book. It really is unwatchable and you do yourself a great disservice if you watch this over the book. They cut characters, changed the plot, skewed motivations and alignments. I can understanding leaving out some of the back story due to time constraints but to change the events that happened completely is not acceptable. Not to mention the terrible filming of scenes set in darkness. A total train wreck. Expand
  16. Apr 1, 2012
    This is easily the best show on TV right now, and one of the best of all time. The acting is consistently solid, the plot so intricate that it's nearly overwhelming, and the characterization is deeper, more realistic, and richer not only than any other show besides The Wire, but deeper/more realistic/richer than half of the real people I've met. Epic in every sense of the word, and just as likely to be surprisingly touching as it is to be gut-wrenchingly brutal. Expand
  17. Apr 2, 2012
    That was SOMETHING! Alan Tailor is gonna be famous after this! Beautiful acting, dialogs, perfect sets and certainly story.. Robb and Jaime had an awesome dialogue. Melisandre, Dawos and Stannis fitted just perfectly. And I cant say about all cast, but they ALL were brilliant. Tnx for a great show! Gonna re-watch episode later..
  18. Apr 3, 2012
    Game of Thrones makes a triumphant return with an epic story, superb cast and some of the best writing on TV. Season 2 tells a tale of greed, loyalty, revenge and family through multiple viewpoints, giving the series an immense scope that has never been so successfully achieved on television.
  19. May 16, 2012
    Sets the standard for epic story telling for years to come. There has never been a world this rich and expansive on TV. I will go back and read the books now! Peter Dinklage is a genius!
  20. Apr 10, 2012
    There isn't much to say about this show that hasn't already been said. The characters are dynamic and deep, the multiple plot concept keeps audience members on the edge of their seats as twists and turns of beautiful written work comes to reality.
  21. May 18, 2012
    Best....show....EVER! I never even heard of G.R.R.M before HBO brought out the teasers. Man, am I glad I got educated last season. I absolutely love Game of Thrones. The characters, twists, turns, backstabbing, maneuvering, sex, battles, comedy, mystery, mystique, guts & glory. It's everything I ever wanted in a show, and everything I expect from HBO's QUALITY programming. These guys know how to pick and create winners. As much as I would like to go out and start reading George's books, there is no way in hell I'm going to ruin this ride with spoilers. Until the curtains close on this outstanding series, I'll be content in my ignorance having never read a single page. Expand
  22. Apr 1, 2012
    In season 1 the first few episodes were character development and not so entertaining. In season 2, the creators are more confident and you can see that in the flow of scenes. Season 2 will have more of everything! WATCH IT! NAO.
  23. Apr 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An Amazing start to the new season that's on par with the best of last season. The episode serves as an introduction to the many new characters of Westeros, and thus the time spent with fan favourites is limited, but these new characters are so good I found I didn't even notice. The CGI is a big step up from last season, and the larger than life wolves look incredible. There are some beautiful vistas to be found and Dany's dragons are just as good as was promised in the closing minutes of the last season.

There are some poignant scenes in this episode that highlight how the show is not just typical fantasy fare, but a powerful drama. The execution of Robert's bastards was one such scene, and the interaction between Robb and his mother was very heart-warming - the actors have great chemistry. It was also great to see so many of the cast from skins seasons 1 and 2 in the show. Both Gendry and Craster's daughter/wife Gilly were familiar and very welcome faces.

I truly hope this season is as good for those who haven't read the books as for those who have because I want this show to continue for many years to come, enjoy.
  24. Mar 13, 2013
    Many fans of the books on which the series is based have been somewhat critical of the changes and edits made in this second season. Having not read the books myself I can’t comment on that but judged purely on its own merits, as really it should be, Game of Thrones continues to excel in every department.

As with the first season there are still plenty of long scenes of dialogue
    required in order to explain the complex world of Westeros but thanks to some fantastic writing and brilliant performances from the entire cast these are just as interesting as the often brutal action interspersed between. Quite how the creators have managed to create such an epic series on a television budget, even one as large as HBO have provided, I will never know. Expand
  25. Jun 6, 2012
    I've been a big fan of season 1 and even read ALL game of throne books after watching that. All books except for the first one. After that, the second season is quite disappointing. The entire book chapters have been condensed into 30 second scenes or so, and honestly, if I did not read the book, I wouldn't even know what's going on on the screen half the time or how it's connected to the story.
  26. Apr 23, 2012
    I was a little disappointed about how they've changed the story around, made Little Finger look like a jackass, whereas in the book he's a step ahead of everyone. Some more poor casting choices, Asha is hideous, Stannis should have been played by the guy playing the Davos the pirate, and vice-versa, Marjory isn't innocent as she is in the book, not a breathtaking beauty as in the book. That being said, still the best show going on TV today, heads above most stuff. It's too bad this series will never finish, took the Martin 7 years to write the last book and it went absolutely no where. Expand
  27. May 14, 2012
    Minus the forced HBO sex stuff the show gets better with each episode. I am also a big fan of less episodes when it brings higher quality but I think there is more than enough story to stretch the season a few additional episodes.
  28. Apr 1, 2012
    My favorite show next to The Walking Dead and Justified. Game of Thrones is just incredible. Seriously the best show on TV. Move over Mad Men and Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones is the new hit, you just wont find anything better.
  29. Apr 7, 2012
    Game of Thrones is the best series in TV. The story is just astounding and addicting. If you see the first episode then you become a fan right away. Each and every single one of characters have a rich personality and amazing acting abilities.

Is Game of Thrones one of the great HBO series? It's too early to tell, though judged purely as an immense yet improbably graceful narrative machine, I'd have to say yes.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Apr 2, 2012
    Game of Thrones starts less like an epic and more like a session of "Medieval Sims."
  3. Reviewed by: Daynah Burnett
    Apr 2, 2012
    The new episodes present an almost a too intricate meditation on power. Game of Thrones demands that you pay attention or be left behind.