• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 17, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
9.2

1. Mar 13, 2013
    Turning a set of epic fantasy novels as complex as George R.R. Martin's best-selling 'A Song of Ice and Fire' series was always going to be a daunting task that could easily have ended in disaster. Fortunately the creators of Game of Thrones have not only lived up to expectations but excelled them. Featuring multiple story lines, each packed with numerous important characters, most viewers who haven’t read the novels will find the opening few episodes tough to follow (I know I certainly did!) but stick with the show and you will be rewarded. Featuring a fantastic cast including the likes of Sean Bean, Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey Game of Thrones biggest achievement is in maintaining a narrative pace that keeps you engaged even during long scenes of dialogue, of which there are a lot. All of it always feels as though it is required though with much explanation needed to lay out the geography of the seven kingdoms, as well as the various families and dynasties that are fighting for control of this world. In amongst all the explanation there is plenty of, sometimes unnecessary, sex and violence but unlike many shows it is usually there to advance the plot and the ten episodes set things up perfectly for what is sure to be an epic second season.

Throwing all the established television rules out the window Game of Thrones is the best original series in a long time. If you haven’t yet watched it ignore those short sighted critics as this is a must buy.
  2. Apr 4, 2012
    HBO does it again by delivering another must see series. Game Of Thrones is THE show to watch and anyone who hasnt watched it is truely missing out. I love it.
  3. Apr 30, 2014
    One of the best medieval, fantasy stories I have experienced since Lord of the Rings. It's compelling world is filled with interesting and well-acted characters. The plot-lines here are fantastic and sets up season 2 for what looks like some big battles up ahead. This is a show that isn't afraid to shock you. It will kill off big characters to help further the plot in believable ways. Honestly it's one of the best shows that HBO has ever aired. Well, at least this first season is.

The only real complaint I have here is the excessive amount of nudity. Now I know HBO shows are known for their gratuitous nudity, and often that is one of the biggest appeals of their shows, but here the majority of it just feels out of place. Now I like naked women as much as the next guy, but often it can come across as an immature move for a show that prides itself on it's mature story and world. Nudity has worked for shows like Starz's Spartacus series, but here it often doesn't.

Overall though that complaint means nothing when faced with the epic story-lines and backstabbing characters that are so entertaining to watch unfold. It's an absolutely riveting first season, and season 2 looks like it has the promise to top it. I give season 1 a near-perfect score of 9.9/10.
  4. Apr 18, 2011
    I must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, and brilliantly acted. Of the three, "Game of Thrones" seems to have the most characters and storylines onscreen, even after just the pilot and a few on-demand clips. Unlike some viewers, I did not find the pilot confusing (and, no, I haven't read the novel on which the series is based). Watching it a second time, I picked up a few bits of backstory that I missed the first time through, nothing too important. In fact, I think the series does an astonishing job of establishing and differentiating dozens of characters, conveying a keen sense of place (4 times), and setting up essential conflicts, without making us feel as though we're choking on exposition like the fat king chokes on swan. Yes, there's a "Tudors"-meets-"Spartacus" obsession with bare breasts, chiseled torsos, and just-severed heads dribbling blood (and more rear entry than in a whole season of "Wild Kingdom"), but there's also extremely imaginative design--not just of sets and costumes but of whole cultures, including at least one language. And the cast? I loved Sean Bean's under-utilized Odysseus from "Troy" and have been waiting ever since for him to get a good meaty lead, so I'm thrilled by his weary warlord, Eddard Stark. I can't tell yet about most of the others--there were just too many--though a few stood out. Peter Dinklage has won well-deserved kudos as Tyrion Lannister, the outsider best able to understand the bitter dynastic politics of his age--and to enjoy himself in spite of them. I was also quite impressed with Harry Lloyd, who plays Viserys Targaryen, the deposed heir obsessed with regaining his crown and prepared to barter his sister for the chance. Creepy but with just the right sense of entitlement. I'm looking forward to Sunday nights for the next few months, and I hope that I have enough company to persuade the networks to keep up the excellent work! Expand
  5. Feb 19, 2013
    I went into this skeptical. The premise really didn't seem like it would interest me. But after a bit of peer pressure from some friends I sat down and watched it. I loved it! Well, most of it. I found that some of the later episode tended to drag on a bit, and weren't as good as the earlier episodes. Overall: This is a very good series that is far better than I would have imagined.
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    It completely blew me away. I was hooked through to the end, and couldn't wait for the next season, and bought the next volume and read through it, and the next until there were none. This is one of those adaptations where you cannot complain. The show did what was essential to bring the book alive on TV. Apart from a few elements (which I would not spoil here), this is a show rooted in reality, as much as it could be for a fantasy. What I mean is that magic plays a very little part and does not serve as a plot device. The show has some truly amazing characters. The last time I saw a show that comes even close to handling so many characters so well was Lost.

My advice, though, is to read the books first because if you watch the show before that, it would be too good for you to come back to reading the books, which would be a shame since ASoIF is the best written fantasy series IMO.
  7. Apr 16, 2013
    Game of Thrones provides that Lord of the Rings epic with superb storylines and acting. In its first season, it's hard to imagine how this show could go wrong. Sean Bean is fantastic as always, as are many of the other actors cast in this sure-hit series. It's not geared for the younger crowd in any way, which is why you'll find this only on HBO, but if you can stomach the mature content you'll be in for quite an experience. This may be the best thing on TV right now. Expand
  8. Jan 7, 2012
    Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister character) definitely deserves a Globe for his witty performance. The show overall is eccentric in telling the story as well as a lot of ego and pride for power to rule. Plenty of power play!
  9. Jun 27, 2012
    Game of Thrones is an absolute treat! Everything about this show is marvelous. The first episode of the first season only was able to get my attention and interest me in watching the whole season. There is no doubt about acting or the brilliance of cinematography and when you watch it, you can tell that a lot of money has been spent on making this show look even more than great.
  10. Jun 11, 2013
    This show. WOW. I just can't get enough of it. It's plot twists, wars, and etc.. Just MIND-BLOWING. Normally I don't go for these type of shows.. I go for mysteries, or science fictional powered shows for example once upon a time but Game of Thrones.. It's one of the top of my favorite shows and let me warn you I watch a lot of shows. I mean it A LOT. I'd place Game of Thrones 4th of my very long list. Expand
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    Esta primera temporada de Game of Thrones fue brillante, la lucha de las familias por el control del trono de hierro no es solo eso, es sobre la historia de rodea a varios personajes y la situacion que deben enfrentar en un mundo plagado por la traicion y la corrupcion.
  12. Jul 10, 2012
    Yes, Game of Thrones is graphic. And it's obscene. And I love it. The acting, the writing, everything about this show proves Game of Thrones is really a winner. The production quality of this show is also really commendable. I recommend this to anyone, even people who aren't really into fantasy. Also, as an adaptation, this show is really excellent.
  13. Jul 10, 2014
    Hablaban muy bien de esta serie y la empecé a seguir en 2011. Hoy en día la sigo viendo y no me arrepiento. Buenos actores, tramas algo enrevesadas pero adictivas con el paso del tiempo, buenos efectos, decorados, etc.
    La primera temporada fue genial, al principio era un poco lenta pero tiene buenos momentos, sobretodo en los últimos cinco capítulos.
    Si alguien aun no la ha visto se la
    recomiendo. Y por supuesto, el mejor personaje es Tyrion :) Expand
  14. Nov 9, 2012
    Game of Thrones is a new breed of television, besting the futile attempts of previous HBO shows such as Rome and, though many did like it, The Tudors. No, Thrones is more. It's deeper. It's brilliant.
  15. Jul 27, 2013
    An extremely good first season. Game of Thrones is a fantastic show with fantastic performances by near the entire cast. The writing is good in the first season and the writing does a great job of following the first book very closely.
  16. Nov 25, 2013
    I am falling in love with this show. It is interesting and the costumes and set designs are great still. Can't wait to finish seasons 2 & 3 before season 4 in the Spring.
  17. Mar 23, 2014
    I'm so excited the big anticipated wait for season four of Game of Thrones is near. One thing I don't like about this show is it seems the good die young and the show is full of villains. That's why I cant until the blonde beauty 'Calisi (mother of dragons) comes to kicks azz (I HOPE) and knock a few off their high horses!!
  18. Jun 26, 2014
    Game of Thrones is full of complex yet immersive storytelling, relatable characters, solid writing, and fine acting. Season one is definitely worth your time.
  19. Feb 18, 2012
    This is an exceptional series that puts its sizeable budget to good use by convincingly creating a unique fantasy world. The story, the writing, the acting; they are all consistently excellent. The ensemble cast give great performances which is essential in any show that features a fantasy world. We need to be sold on it by the genuine nature of its inhabitants. The story feels epic in scope by focusing on different characters and areas. The show always has new tricks up its sleeve to keep viewers hooked and I can't wait for the new season. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2011
    Definitely one of HBO best series. Incredible plot with terrific acting. A lot happens in each episode. The show has a lot of gore and has a complicated plot (if you haven't read the book), because there are so many different characters. Sometimes I had to read recaps to understand some of the details in the beginning, but this is a show worth sticking with.
  21. Nov 29, 2013
    Uma grande e estrondosa série de intrigas políticas e psicológica, eriçada com personagens vivos, unidos pelo enredo tentador e temperado com um toque de fantasia, isso Game of Thrones.
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    They're doing a great job adapting the books to the screen. This season was very well paced and very well written. On top of that, the acting and scenery were phenomenal. Great show for anyone that likes a good epic fantasy.
  23. Jan 3, 2014
    A tremendous adaptation of Martin's novels, it probably helps that he does control many aspects of the television series; Season 1 of GOT is nearly a replica of the actual novel. And like the novel, it succeeds tremendously as an entertaining, violent, and epic success.
  24. Jun 22, 2014
    Absolute amazing, every scene completely dazzled me, truly amazing, masterfully filmed.

To anybody skeptical about watching Game Of Thrones, put aside your worries, turn of your neglect and just watch.

Or u could read the books
  25. Sep 16, 2013
    Cómo la web me pide un mínimo de 150 caracteres, y necesito hacer el review para poder tenerla archivada en mi perfil, pues suelto este rollito y mi votación es de 9. Un saludo.
  26. Jun 22, 2011
    I was sceptical at first if a fantasy tv show would be the right thing to watch. I had seen many bad examples in my childhood, like xena,... . but soon after starting to watch, the show had my full attention. the show has everything from bloodbath to zombies to sex. can't wait to see the next season.
  27. Sep 4, 2011
    I am not a big fantasy nor historical watcher, but Game of Thrones "got" me from the first show. I got the book after the season finale and liked it very much (boy, are these books long!). I have already read the second book and looking forward to book 3.
  28. Sep 27, 2011
    A smart, well acted show that offers the viewer just about everything that he/she could ever want. Captivating story, beautiful cinematography, loads of 3 dimensional characters makes for one of the best shows on tv.
  29. Dec 13, 2012
    Love this show, once you start watching you truly can't stop. I loved the story of the Starks, and you will really start to care for the characters. Everything is so well done.
  30. May 28, 2012
    As a fan of the books, I can honestly say this is a great transition from book to screen. The acting is very, very good. The show might be a little slow at some points, but if you stick around, the show gets very exciting. The only complaint I have is that It doesnt seem as epic and grand of scale as it could, and the action seems very unnatural and coordinated.
  31. Jan 24, 2014
    An epic medieval fantasy with incredible action, gory and intense action, and a a brilliant and engaging storyline, coupled with fantastic writing. Despite the ensemble, the breakout is Peter Dinklage, who has found the perfect role; the sardonic, clever, and persuasive dwarf Tyrion Lannister, who by far is the most captivating of all with his schemes and clever and powerful insults and overall look at life, all make him the character who will leave you laughing. Normally, I'm not a fan of fantasy, but this has changed my mind. Expand
  32. May 23, 2011
    A great series with fine actors. Depends less on sorcery and special effects and more on the many faults and frailty of human nature. Not afraid to kill off main characters makes it more realistic than most fairy tale, scifi-fantasy shows in TV and Movies. If you want the good guys to win and live happily ever after, this is not the series for you, go watch Twilight or Harry Potter. Makes HBO's. Much better than that high school level crap in True Blood. Hopefully HBO will keep this series and do away with that vampire rubbish. Expand
  33. Feb 14, 2013
    started reading this series 20 years or so ago with the release of the first novel. ive found the show to be a brilliant visual companion to one seriously well written series. not sure how well it would play out to someone who hasnt read the books as there are probably too many characters and plotlines to explore in a way to brief a season. as along time lover of the books i have no complaints. especially impressed with lena headey's portrayal of the twisted cersai. im not one to give 10's, but for me this is flawless tv. if only there were more hours in a season Expand
  34. Sep 25, 2013
  35. Sep 16, 2011
    I had never even heard of G.R.R.M before HBO brought out the teasers, but boy am I glad I got educated. I absolutely loved Season 1 Game of Thrones. The characters, twists, turns, backstabbing, maneuvering, sex, battles, comedy, mystery, mystique, guts & glory. It's everything I ever wanted in a show, and everything I expect from HBO's quality programming. These guys know how to pick and create winners. As much as I would like to go out and start reading Martins books, there is no way in hell I'm going to ruin this ride with spoilers. Until the curtains close on this outstanding series, I'll be content in my ignorance having never read a single page, all the while tuning in weekly to see what happens. HBO.... I'm pickin up what you're puttin down. Expand
  36. May 25, 2013
    Outstandingly realized adaptation of one of the best fantasy novel of our generation. Cast is well chosen, except for Renly. Acting is amazing (Peter Dinklage fits the role of the Imp perfectly). Let's hope that HBO will be able to adapt all "Song of Ice and Fire" saga. Great start
  37. Jun 19, 2013
    There is not much that I can say that hasn't already been said. This is one of, if not the best, show on TV today. Characters are great and wonderful writing. A must watch
  38. Aug 30, 2013
    With beautiful and expensive production design but even better, with good acting and great writing and direction, Game of Thrones is one of the best TV shows of the year.
  39. Apr 26, 2011
    From all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go no where show, such as LOST.

Well done keep the season moving.
  40. Jun 13, 2011
    This is a great show and that is all one really needs to write about it. One could go down into 101 little things that one might not like, but why? Itâ
  41. Oct 25, 2011
    The brilliant first season of Game of Thrones turns out to be a very well-crafted adaptation of Martin's epic first novel in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. The cast is both talented and suited to their roles, and the twists and turns of the convoluted story should keep viewers spellbound.
  42. Jun 18, 2012
    Very very good tv show, a bit too brutal for my taste, but it adds to the realism of it which makes it very high quality! Love the character portrayals by everyone, all very good actors and actresses! Just, wow, Can't wait for Season 3.
  43. Jul 20, 2012
    Thrones is the fantasy epic to end all fantasy epics in my opinion. The world they'e created is so believable, as are the characters and their political wranglings that you'll be sucked into this universe for the duration of each episode. It's gritty, dark, brutally violent and very reminiscent of our own dark ages. That's why Thrones appeals to such a large target audience. Alhough it IS fantasy, dragons warlocks, zombies, etc, it doesn't bludgeon you with the nerdiness. My friend hates fantasy, Lord of The Rings drove him nuts, but he loves this as he says it's very realistic in terms of the ways things were. The action is awesome, the acting is perfect, the dialouge is spot on - just all-round brilliance really. If every TV series were like this we'd be laughing. Expand
  44. Sep 23, 2012
    Everything good about this show has already been said. It's very enjoyable, though confronting at times, and not as predictable as one might think. Just watch it. I bought the books (all of them) halfway through the season.
  45. Dec 8, 2012
    This show is nothing less than a masterpiece. It follows the books quite well, deviating a little here and there for artistic sake, but nothing major I've noticed (though I bet some of you ASoIaF lovers will probably pick up some I missed). The acting on all fronts is superb, though I was most impressed by Peter Dinklage and the child actor playing Arya Stark, both of whom deserve some sort of award if they haven;t got one already.

This show is an alternate universe medieval type action/drama. It's set in a place called Westeros and revolves around the different leaders of the respective areas and outlying areas, and their religious beliefs and throne-hunger driving them to war. The show features supernatural elements as well, including magic and mythical creatures. It's very much everything you'd expect from an adult medieval drama, and a lot of things you wouldn't. It surprises, and astounds around every corner. The visuals and sets are beautiful, and the story is one you must experience to truly enjoy.
  46. Sep 16, 2013
    Magnificent. I never read the books, so the story was quite amazing to me, and the twists and turns caught me completely off guard. What is very great about the story is how fully realized the complex world is, and how the different plot lines intertwine together into one massive saga that surely still has much to offer in the coming seasons. I read that there are 7 novels in total. Will be exciting to see how they are played out. Another great thing about the story, is how it relates to many historical elements in medieval Europe. Yet the story feels original. Overall, it is a beautifully crafted TV show that is definitely worth checking out. Expand
  47. Jun 27, 2014
    Game of Thrones is the new series that i'm rooting for! excellent acting, character and dialog is some of the best I have seen, period! Great action scenes, sets and trilling environments that may be over used in recent years however, this time around it stand out! Season 2 here I come.
  48. May 24, 2011
    Having seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The sets, costumes, and locations they use are all well designed and compliment the story. The music is good enough, but the only memorable tune I've heard so far is the opening theme (which is fantastic). If you go into Game of Thrones expecting typical fantasy fair (such as monsters and wizards) you will find a much different and 'realistic' take on a fantasy setting. Instead of spells and goblins you will find a gritty, politically charged world filled with intrigue and numerous compelling characters. This is a show everyone must see, regardless of whether or not you like fantasy. So far this is the best new TV show of the year, and as long as the next episodes and seasons remain high quality, it will be one of the best shows ever created. Expand
  49. Jul 5, 2011
    I've read all the books of the "Songs of Ice and Fire" series, and it's one of those stories that you're reading and get to a point and yell and throw the book across the room, angry about what the author did. But that's part of it's charm as well. The series stuck very close to the book, and even explained some things that I could never understand from the novels. If you're looking for a great story, with great characters and unexpected twists, you need to check out this show. Expand
  50. Mar 12, 2012
    A nearly flawless adaptation of the amazing first book in the series. The cast was chosen with great care. The story was told with precision. The results were fantastic.
  51. Apr 27, 2013
    Many of the early critical reviews have just dismissed this as a TV version of 'The Lord of the Rings'. I feel that is extremely unfair analysis of the show. Game of thrones is by far one of the best programmes on TV now, next to Breaking Bad. One of the brilliant aspects of the show is even though it is filled with magic and fantasy creatures, at its heart it is a thrilling political drama.
  52. Feb 14, 2014
    Really, really, really good. More of a 9.5, but hell, this show is so well built and interesting the difference is insignificant. Try an episode or two, very much worth a shot.
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    Deep, noir, more alternatively historical then traditionally fantasy tv-show. Acting is just brilliant. Especially young Arja and Tyrion are exact match. Great job HBO!
  54. Nov 2, 2011
    Simply stunning. This is what you call a tv show worth watching. HBO and Showtime (ok, AMC too) are the only channels where you can find quality programming, the rest is just the rest, dumbed down shows.
  55. Apr 9, 2012
    A simply perfect season. Amazing characters, an interesting plot, twists and turns, a fantastic world created by George R.R Martin, great sets and, of course, really really really good actors, who bring the characters of the book to life. Bravo HBO, Bravo Producers, and the entire team!
  56. Jul 30, 2012
    This is one of the best TV shows of all times. For those who love epic stories it is a gift, and for those who don't, too. The acting is exquisite, the detailed scenarios are completely convincing and the intensity of each episode leaves the spectator more than satisfied. Very well done. Congratulations.
  57. Dec 3, 2013
    The critics on this site are borderline retarded. Season 1 of Game of Thrones gets a lower rating than Dexter Season 7. No GOT seasons are below a 90. Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones/The Sopranos/Walking Dead/Boardwalk Empire are +90 shows. And Homeland from what I hear. But I've only seen about 6 episodes of Season 1. But the "fans" have much better judgment than the critics, sadly.

+ The Wire. And The Wire.
  58. Jul 1, 2014
    Pure perfection, best TV show ever. Highlights from the show:

Dothraki wedding
    Khal Drogo kills Mago
    Daenerys' dragons as she comes out of the funeral pyre
    Tyrion's trial by combat
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    Having not read the books, I was thoroughly surprised by the series and found myself enjoying it so far immensely. The show is good because the original author retains control, a "realistic" element runs strong and the backgrounds and extras are adequately fleshed out. Can't wait for more.
  60. Aug 10, 2011
    such a great show! the first couple of episodes are a little slow but it soon picks up.
    epic characters, great casting, amazing set design and the plot is to die for even though it can be a little confusing at times.
    watch watch watch.
  61. Dec 28, 2011
    overall its pretty spectacular and everybody looks AND plays the part beautifully. the best character easily Peter Dinklage as the short yet powerful Tyrion Lannister. Though a bit inappropriate for anyone younger than 16 it shines as one of the best new shows of the year.
  62. Jan 22, 2012
    This is second best TV show (Breaking Bad is first). The acting in this show is wonderful and so if the story. The episode, Baelor, almost gave me a heart attack! Call me weird, but I gave a standing ovation in my living room at the end of the last episode. Best new show of 2011!
  63. Jun 13, 2013
    Novel adaptations like this are made for television. Many times epic literary works are reduced to the bare bones because people aren't willing to sit through a film longer than 3 hours. Game of Thrones is an excellent adaptation of Martin's work, with exceptional acting and beautiful visuals. If you have to pick one series to follow, it should be this one.
  64. Sep 5, 2013
    I cant explain in words how happy I am they finally made this series, and they did it right. The level of production, the sets, locations and the top actors they've gotten to do this makes this easily one of the best first seasons in HBO cable TV history. Throw in the fact that this show stays very close to the source material, and you have the best "thing" on TV. If the end of this season proved to those unknowing of this series anything don't get attached. Expand
  65. Apr 17, 2011
    Through one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows they will see this piece of truly grand workmanship. Us geeks envisioned Peter as Tyrion and he truly brought the character to life. Granted he only has a couple of scenes and those scenes run for a mere seconds but they were doozies. Especially the scene with Jon Snow. Of course Ghost was to have tried to take a piece of him but hey you have to lose a few items during the adaption. If you have read the books then this is a winner. Expand
  66. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply stunning for a tv series. The costumes and scenery are spot on and really give the sense of gritty reality that permeates the show. While not exactly like the book, it is very close and it is obvious George the pirate (George Arr Arr Martin) has had a guiding hand in the production. It is great to live in a time where fantasy can finally be brought to the screen in all its glory. I pity the small minded individuals without any imagination that think the fantasy genre is just for kids. This series is going to be truly magnificent and we can only hope they will continue production with the second book once this is completed (which might actually make him finish writing the series finally) Expand
  67. Jun 1, 2011
    I've seen the first seven episodes of Game of Thrones and I can safely say that it's the most entertaining series on television at the moment. Nudity aside, GoT is well constructed - from the sets/atmosphere, to the costumes/cast, it's a beautiful piece of television. I have not read the books so I cannot attest to how well the show parallels them, but I've wholly enjoyed watching. The most notable (and best acted) characters are the dwarf, the dude from lord of the rings, and the little girl who wants to learn swordplay. Check this show out if you have any inclination towards medievil fantasy. It's a good one. Expand
  68. Aug 8, 2011
    Well I for once have not even looked at the books, heck I got to know about the books after I finished the first season and was hungry looking for more episodes. Sadly, the next episodes won't be coming anytime soon. Game of Thrones is a fascinating display of how power is distributed between rich houses, such as the Starks. In the series there will be drama, action, mystery, and I don't know what else. It has a touch of fiction of course, fantastic display of myths, creatures and original fantasy development. In short words, I like it. Expand
  69. Aug 30, 2011
    Best Show Ever! Such deep, round characters...each one with different allegiances and motivations, some caught in their circumstances, others rebellious of theirs. I often say about shows with kids in them, it can only be as good as the kids are(great ones modern family, married with children, etc). Game of Thrones has awesome kids, Anya and Sansa are brilliant. I dont wanna get into too many spoilers, so I will say this, watch and pay attention(so you can follow all the relationships) and you will be rewarded by a deep, intelligent, suspenseful show. I want to single out some acting but it is literally all magnificent, beautifully shot too. i am going to rewatch again... Expand
  70. pkd
    Oct 30, 2011
    I have read the novels and thought they were exceptional and fabulous. With high expectations I watched the pilot and ch. 2 and was disappointed - I had this strange feeling that the actors were not immersed in their characters, as if their acting was too mechanical. But from ch. 3 on this sentiment has been replaced by a total admiration to the acting as well as the successful adaptation of the novels. King Baratheon, Ned Stark, Arya & Sansa, Tyrion and all the rest - it's such an enjoying story and even more enjoyable acting. With True Blood & Game of Thrones HBO succeeded in creating two formidable adaptations which are equal to their source in the amount of generated pleasure. It's unique. Expand
  71. Nov 4, 2012
    Game of Thrones is one of the few times where a visual adaptation surpasses its source material - the A Song of Ice and Fire series. That's not to say the books are bad, on the contrary, up until A Feast For Crows they're extremely entertaining when the author isn't giving you a long-winded explanation on what someone had for breakfast! The show essentially takes the plots from the book, and delivers something with more adrenaline and more action, with the opportunity to expand on characters beyond the POV's from the books. Never before have I seen a show with such good acting, so many likeable characters - even female characters, and so many unforeseen plot twists. Usually you'd expect a fantasy based drama to suffer from the usual hammy acting and the like, but this is nothing of the sort. You'll care about characters, you'll be intrigued by the story, and you'll love the soundtrack. Its only real downfall is the unnecessary sex scenes in almost every single episode - even more so than the books. Expand
  72. Nov 16, 2013
    There is nothing you can dislike about game of thrones, every episode is interesting and every character is important. I think it's one of the best tv series ever created.
  73. Jan 14, 2014
    I read the novels several times in the past few years, then finally got to watch most of the HBO series. The acting is superb, and the feel is true to the novels, which are as much a history lesson on the brute vileness that was Medieval Europe as a fantasy series.
  74. Mar 20, 2014
    I don't give this a 10 lightly: this is bar-none the best TV series I have ever seen in my life. So much so that I actually buy multiple DVDs to gift to family members just to support it. The atmosphere, the complex character relationships, and the sheer magnitude of the story just make this something to sink into. I haven't been able to "feel like I'm part of the universe" when watching media since I was a teenager. This is one show that lets me do that. I turn off all external sensory items and just get absorbed into the piece, enjoying every minute. There's only two flaws so far: they couldn't dye the eyebrows blonde (you get used to it), and the first few episodes are very heavy for people who cannot handle far-arching stories and characters. This is the only show where when someone is in danger (and sometimes not even in danger) I feel the threat and cannot just assume everything will work out alright (looking at you serial shows where the main characters survive everything several seasons in). I sure hope media in general learns from GoT and this is not the only piece of such great caliber in my lifetime. Expand
  75. Jun 16, 2014
    Other than the seemingly consistent attempt to shove homosexuality down our throats, this show is utterly spectacular. Now we have the long and arduous task of waiting for the next season.
  76. Apr 17, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic just so I could write this review. The first episode is AWESOME! I haven't read the books, so I can''t comment on the adaptation, but this **** is real! I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, new favourite show :)
  77. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome show! Never read the the books but know someone who has and said it's pretty accurate so far.
    Has that Gladiator Lord of the rings feel to it. A must watch if your a fan of the two movies!
  78. Jun 6, 2011
    Excellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northern England accents like me! A BD purchase too I reckon... Expand
  79. Jul 9, 2011
    Casting is dead on, production value is high, and the writers have a great knack for identifying the dramatic moments of the book and building episodes around it.

Downside: the series moves too quickly to really understand the motivations and background of all the many characters. My hope is that season 2 only covers part of the second book, so we have the time to really comprehend why
    the characters do what they do.

This is a strong series and probably the best thing on HBO with Entourage winding down. Possibly the best thing on TV period.
  80. Aug 30, 2011
    This show is awesome. I am a big fan of the books and the adaptation is really perfect, actually better than i thought it could be. The cast is just perfect, The young actors are really good (Maisie Williams!), Peter Dinklage is perfect for his character, so are Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey... well the entire cast is. I have watched each episode twice and several friends of mine are now huge fans of the show too. Expand
  81. Dec 12, 2011
    I have read the book and I can tell that, despite many things are not told as it should, we're in front of one of the best TV Shows ever produced or directed.
  82. Dec 20, 2011
    i am so hooked on this show it really well done, hbo has really out done its self and i hope it does well and continues to make me want to watch more. the actor{s roles have been devloping quite nicly in a way that prompts mistery.
  83. Apr 17, 2012
    Fantastic show. For quite awhile I've wanted an 'original feeling' medieval show to watch, and good god does it deliver. The production value is high, the scenes are well shot and it is absolutely worth watching on bluray (which I recently did).

Characters feel very real, you even start to love some of the 'bad' guys.

The only thing that keeps me from recommending this to my own family
    is the nudity, sometimes a bit too much. Other times though some purely stunning scenes of artistic nudity are acceptable, but the straight up porny elements make viewing sometimes a bit awkward. Still, it does not really detract from such a fantastic show and I hope they don't change the formula, its great. Expand
  84. May 30, 2012
    It is not easy trying to bring life in to all of the complex characters of G.RR Martins amazing books, but this show certainly has succeeded! You never know what is about to happen, who will die next and where the story ends up. It is simply brilliant!
  85. Jun 2, 2012
    Recently I finally watched this series after being told repeatedly of how amazing it was, and I have to say I agree. I don't think I've ever seen such amazing production design for a television show, allowing the world of Westeros to feel very real and authentic. The cast is superb as well. Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are the standouts in Season 1, but the whole cast does a good job of embodying their characters. Furthermore, the plot of the series is completely engaging, I found it hard to tear myself away from the screen. In fact I finished the first Season in just three days because I just couldn't stop watching. If you're a fan of medieval history or fantasy than this is definitely a show that you should watch. Expand
  86. Apr 2, 2013
    King in the North! When I first saw this season I had never read the books. But after I had read them, I came back to this and honestly, it is probably one of the most faithful adaptions of a book (a real book, not your weak 300 pagers) I had ever seen. Long live The Bean! For he is a true actor. Dinklage is also perfect, but Sean Bean anchors the show for the first season before letting it go free, so that newbies, like myself, were deftly introduced to the show and the Starks before the chaos ensnared. Expand
  87. May 6, 2013
    BEST MEDIEVAL FANTASY TV SHOW FOR ME only complain from me that they release only 10 episodes every year...They could had add way more episodes and expand the story based on the books of Martin
  88. May 18, 2013
    A very great show. Interesting storylines, interesting characters, great acting, story just a very good show. It takes a lot of attention to get every detail but the show is still very great. Kind of like a TV version of Lord of the Rings.
  89. Jun 9, 2013
    Amazing show. In the middle of all the mediocre television shows being produced in recent years Game of Thrones is an exception and a must watch. The show is filled with action, and fast-paced (in my opinion, when compared to other shows I've seen recently such as the Walking Dead).
  90. Mar 29, 2014
    One of the best tv series ever produced. Based on amazing material (books). Excellent dialogues, characters, settings, clothes, music....I can go on... Not to be overlooked!!!An absolute must.
  91. Apr 21, 2011
    A brilliant adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy masterpiece. The book's cast of hundreds has been necessarily reduced to a cast of dozens, but this series will satisfy both devotees and newbies. The cast is excellent (particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister Sean Bean as Eddard Stark), the sets and camera work are stellar, and the whole production brings a breath of fresh air to a stale genre. Expand
  92. Apr 24, 2011
    You have to give HBO credit for not only attempting to put this on the screen but also remaining faithful to the source material. Although I think "The White Walkers" sequence could have been handled better and that the Khal Drogo parts were a bit too stylized for my taste (They should have been dirtier and more brutish), overall HBO has done an amazing job. I'm looking forward to watching it all unfold and seeing (as well as reading, if he ever decides to finish the book series) how it ends. Expand
  93. Apr 27, 2011
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing show. As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify it by virtue of sheer
    personality.

The entire cast feels well chosen, particular favorites so far that
    have caught my attention by their emotionally loaded portrayals are
    Arya and Tyrion, but also John, Rob and Eddard which bodes well for
    the series at large since they are all such major characters.

The dire wolves and the medieval vistas are presented with a haunting
    level of authenticity that captures the imagination and stays grounded
    all at once.

The ill hid contempt of the Queen for her dwarf brother and the
    protectiveness of family both amongst the Starks and their rivals are
    portrayed easily and captivatingly. It's also what lays a solid
    foundation for the action.

Motivations, loyalties, ambitions, passions and embitterments are done
    pleasing justice with a script that suits the tone and atmosphere of
    a chaotic and embattled medieval society with teeth of corruption and
    claws of bravery, the series gives its own enhanced perspective and
    for as long as everyone is fighting out of their own hearts all is
    well in the lands of Westeros.
  94. Apr 30, 2011
    This is a brilliant transition from book to film thus far. I have never seen a movie or TV series follow the book so well. The high production value and great casting just adds to the immersion. It would be best to watch the whole season one episode after another to get the full effect, And now with HBOGO available we can do it on our iphones/ipads! Can't wait to see how they handle 3 very interesting characters that appear at the very end of the first book! Expand
  95. May 15, 2011
    Epic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds to the value. This is how fantasy should be done on TV. Expand
  96. Jun 20, 2011
    Having just watched ep 10, I truly feel this series gets it just right. Acting, production values, plot, intrigue are all in line with the feel and tone of the books. It has been over a decade since I started reading them and watching the series brought all of the major plot points right back as if I had just laid the books down. While the 9th ep is the best of the season, the last one has set up the second season well and I can't wait for next spring. I just hope they plan more than 10 episodes! Expand
  97. Jul 17, 2011
    i've never been a fan of this type of tv series or movies...but this one got me hooked pretty much in the first 3 episodes. the show didnt really waste any time for the stories to progress. its not all drama, you sense something is coming, and just when you thought the story would be somewhat predictable, it took a turn... for the better though.... it is one of the most entertaining show on tv.
  98. Aug 16, 2011
    Best Show On Television Period. Amazing character development, action sequences, and story. A must watch for everyone. I can't wait for Season 2 to start.
  99. Oct 13, 2011
    Brilliant Photography, Brilliant Scenarios ( it's just mesmerizing). Brilliant Storyline & Storytelling . Brilliant Cast. Without starting to describe each and every detail of this 10 episode tv show, i can only say; THIS is how you make a successfull tv show. Congratulations HBO, you've done it again.
  100. Dec 21, 2011
    Game of Thrones is arguably one of the best TV shows to land in 2011; the intriguing story lines, the twisted plots, the camera work, the production, the stellar acting, and the set of the show create this wonderful masterpiece that it is impossible not to fall in love with the show- even if you are not into Fantasies. It is important to note the strength of the child actors- the actors who play the unruly Joffrey Baratheon, Bran Stark, Arya, and Sansa do an excellent job at reflecting the character depicted in the novels. What many folks leave out is the landscape of the work; the landscapes chosen matches those that are portrayed in George R.R. Martin's novels- well done. Seriously, people need to watch the show and abandon any prejudices they might have against the show for whatever purposes- A Great Show. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.