• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 17, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
9.2

1. Apr 17, 2011
    Through one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows they will see this piece of truly grand workmanship. Us geeks envisioned Peter as Tyrion and he truly brought the character to life. Granted he only has a couple of scenes and those scenes run for a mere seconds but they were doozies. Especially the scene with Jon Snow. Of course Ghost was to have tried to take a piece of him but hey you have to lose a few items during the adaption. If you have read the books then this is a winner. Expand
  2. Apr 17, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic just so I could write this review. The first episode is AWESOME! I haven't read the books, so I can''t comment on the adaptation, but this **** is real! I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, new favourite show :)
  3. Apr 18, 2011
    I had been looking forward to this show for well over a year, reading and watching every little tidbit I could find on-line. Having read and loved the book Game of Thrones is based on, I had high expectations. The show did not disappoint, the first episode was far and away the best hour of television I have ever seen. The characters from the book came to life through the amazing performances of the cast. Highlights include Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Maisie Williams as Arya.

Some initial concerns were raised on adapting such a complex series to the small screen, that it might be difficult for the average viewer to follow. I think those fears may now be laid to rest as it seemed to me that the show was very clear and concise, though I shall leave it to the non-readers to answer this question better.

Regarding the plot, I thought the adaption worked very well in creating a beginning, middle and ending that left you wanting more. I don't want to give away any details so as not to spoil the show for anyone who has yet to watch it. Suffice to say it is well worth taking a look to see if it suits you or not.
  4. Apr 18, 2011
    Well-paced, well-acted, well-shot--this is a piece glorious to behold! The production is beautiful, the dialog economical and exceptionally well-delivered, and it is smart in bringing Martin's writing to screen: the spirit is all there, the grim tone, and even the added scenes created to flesh out the characters and the world feel natural, as if lifted from the novels. That's when you know the showrunners understand the story and deeply appreciates the complexities. Standouts include Peter Dinklage (Tyrion), Maisie Williams (Arya), Isaac (Bran), Kit Harrington (Jon), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn), Sean Bean (Ned), Harry Lloyd (Viserys), Mark Addy (Robert), and Lena Headey (Cersei). That's quite a big roster of favourites, but therein lies the truth: fans of the novel or not, Game of Thrones is a meaty spectacle with an astounding cast. You can't afford to miss this TV event of the year, folks! Expand
  5. Apr 18, 2011
    Very good adaptation, faithful to the tone and pace of the original novels. Actors and sets are amazing, it was a long wait but it is really worth it.
  6. Apr 18, 2011
    The pilot episode was fantastic! First off, the acting was superb, and it was nice to see that many fan favorites were cast (sean bean, peter dinklage, charles dance, aidan gillen among others) and some new actors that look like they will make names for themselves in this :D. The show doesn't move very fast, but it's incredibly engrossing, and gives the feel of a true epic the way lord of the rings does. So far it has stayed really true to the book, and believe me when I tell you the show will only get better! If they stay the course, I can't even imagine how good this show will be... I'm so excited!!! Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    It's almost as wrong to give the show a 10 after one episode as it is to give it a 0 after one episode, but that's what I'm going to do. Not only because I enjoyed it, but because everyone I watched with (including one person who doesn't like fantasy, and the rest of whom would never read the books) all enjoyed it and got the gist of it. Some characters seem stereotypical, but I'm having difficulty remembering any first episode that wasn't just as cliche. Certainly the first episode of the wire they were just gangbangers, cops, and the cops superiors. Nothing's a bigger cliche than cops arguing with their bosses. And there were some standouts, such as Dinklage, the dwarf (using the modern definition of dwarf) with a chip on his shoulder, Ned as John Wayne, and Harry Lloyd as the manic but spoiled exiled prince. In a usual story, the exiled prince would be the main character, the King Arthur to be that we can't wait to see get the throne. Here, we want to stab him.

There is a lot to take in, but it was less confusing than it could have been. Women have a hard time of it, all the more to see them overcome their station in the future. It feels a bit similar to Mad Men, or even the recent Boardwalk Empire, in this regard. Acting is great, and the dialogue is well written, saying a lot without blabbering on with boring exposition. If you aren't paying attention, you are likely to miss most of the subtext, and the nudity may distract from the story, but it's very much a part of it. It never feels as if the sex is meant to excite you, which may leave people expecting that in the dust.

All in all there were a lot of great scenes, the production design paid off, and the story seems to be heading to interesting places. We'll see how it holds up after a few more episodes. Most reviews say it gets better, which judging from the reactions of my family and friends, means we are in for some seriously fun tv.
  8. Apr 18, 2011
    The sprawling epic of George R.R. Martin has been successfully brought to the small screen. Production values equalling that of the previous HBO period drama Rome, the attention to detail is stunning. The casting is done masterfully, finding not only extremely fitting adult actors, but finding amazing new talent for the child and teenage characters. This is one series you'd better not miss.
  9. Apr 18, 2011
    For those of you who have not read the book, prepare for a wild ride! For those of you who have, this is the as faithful an adaptation as I have seen from book to film (or TV in this case.) Like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Ring" trilogy, this series captures the tone and the emotion of the books perfectly, if not exact scenes and dialogue. With characters and situations as real and as strong as any other literature genre out there, the slight fantasy found in "Game of Thrones" simply adds suspense and emotion to an already beautiful story. Expand
  10. Apr 18, 2011
    Great job so far! Exposition heavy, as pilots tend to go, but very captivating and extremely promising. Characters seem to just jump off the screen, and the extensive dialogue didn't seem to plod along, as it could have. Looking forward to future episodes, when the story starts really chugging along - plus, can't miss next week after that ending!
  11. Apr 18, 2011
    No one wants a long review but this show is capturing the series perfectly and there is a lot to look forward to. For anyone who is worried about it being cliche, one thing that this series does well is by having a cliche set up unfold in a very non cliche way.
  12. Apr 18, 2011
    I never read the books, but I was immediately drawn into the world of GoT. There are a LOT of characters and they all seem complex and interesting. The look to the show is jaw dropping, I felt like I was watching an expensive Hollywood film. I'm also glad it's on HBO, not just because of the violence, nudity, language. But because none of the big networks would have allowed topics like incest to be involved in the storytelling. This is why Network television is crumbling and cable and premium channels are now soaring. Expand
  13. Apr 18, 2011
    I must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, and brilliantly acted. Of the three, "Game of Thrones" seems to have the most characters and storylines onscreen, even after just the pilot and a few on-demand clips. Unlike some viewers, I did not find the pilot confusing (and, no, I haven't read the novel on which the series is based). Watching it a second time, I picked up a few bits of backstory that I missed the first time through, nothing too important. In fact, I think the series does an astonishing job of establishing and differentiating dozens of characters, conveying a keen sense of place (4 times), and setting up essential conflicts, without making us feel as though we're choking on exposition like the fat king chokes on swan. Yes, there's a "Tudors"-meets-"Spartacus" obsession with bare breasts, chiseled torsos, and just-severed heads dribbling blood (and more rear entry than in a whole season of "Wild Kingdom"), but there's also extremely imaginative design--not just of sets and costumes but of whole cultures, including at least one language. And the cast? I loved Sean Bean's under-utilized Odysseus from "Troy" and have been waiting ever since for him to get a good meaty lead, so I'm thrilled by his weary warlord, Eddard Stark. I can't tell yet about most of the others--there were just too many--though a few stood out. Peter Dinklage has won well-deserved kudos as Tyrion Lannister, the outsider best able to understand the bitter dynastic politics of his age--and to enjoy himself in spite of them. I was also quite impressed with Harry Lloyd, who plays Viserys Targaryen, the deposed heir obsessed with regaining his crown and prepared to barter his sister for the chance. Creepy but with just the right sense of entitlement. I'm looking forward to Sunday nights for the next few months, and I hope that I have enough company to persuade the networks to keep up the excellent work! Expand
  14. Apr 18, 2011
    I went in to premiere night expecting to be disappointed, but in the end my only complaints are things only multiple-read veterans of the book series would notice (or probably care about.) I guess it means HBO did a hell of a job here, if all I can throw out there is that I missed Arya getting mocked for her needlework, Jon sitting in the great hall during the feast and feeding his wolf under the table, or Dany finally telling Drogo "Yes" after his many No's. And Lord knows we can't always have everything, especially with a time limit involved.

Well done to everyone involved. If the pilot was this well done, we can all relax and safely expect the rest of the series to be gripping and wildly entertaining.
  15. Apr 18, 2011
    As a long time fan of the series, I was very skeptical at first. In the opening scenes I found myself mentally comparing everything to my memory of what I had read. Eventually this comparison gave way to marveling out how smoothly the transition from print to screen had been pulled off. For those of you new to the series, stick with it and you'll see why the books have been so successful. I signed up for HBO just to watch this show, and so far I'm not regretting it in the slightest. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    Deep, noir, more alternatively historical then traditionally fantasy tv-show. Acting is just brilliant. Especially young Arja and Tyrion are exact match. Great job HBO!
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    Looked incredible. Very strong cast and an excellent translation from book to screen. A lot of information to take in but it was handled well. The shocking end of the first episode left me desperate to see the next, and all my fears over how good they could make this adaptation have been put aside.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    The show seems to be following the books quite closely, which is mostly good, however there where some parts that probably should have been cut from a tv adaptation. I'll keep watching this as long as they don't deviate significantly from the books. marquis_de_vaux - my advice is to not worry about the direction you think the show will go the plot should be incredible if you have the mind to follow what is happening and can keep the characters straight. Expand
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply stunning for a tv series. The costumes and scenery are spot on and really give the sense of gritty reality that permeates the show. While not exactly like the book, it is very close and it is obvious George the pirate (George Arr Arr Martin) has had a guiding hand in the production. It is great to live in a time where fantasy can finally be brought to the screen in all its glory. I pity the small minded individuals without any imagination that think the fantasy genre is just for kids. This series is going to be truly magnificent and we can only hope they will continue production with the second book once this is completed (which might actually make him finish writing the series finally) Expand
  20. Jun 21, 2011
    The first 5 minutes were atmospheric, cinematic (except for fake dead girl doll), but then it went downhill. It felt like I was flipping the channel between two late night cable shows and a national geographic nightmare. People talked a lot--idle chit chat. I had no problem getting the main characters, but I found them to be pre-made stereotypes. It was like I was peeking into the fantasies of a 13 year old boy. And the narrative was telling me, not showing me, a bunch of information that I didn't care about, never helping care for any of these people or whatever situation they are in. The terrible editing was the final straw for me. The transitions between scenes were very disruptive, giving me no hope for immersion into the show. At last I became fully aware I was watching a show I didn't want to watch. I realized no amount of hype could get me to forgive the problems of the show and the fact that I am not in the target audience. I simply don't care for this world or its characters. I did see the last scene, the intended "wow, shocking, now you must come back" message but since I had absolutely no time to care for anyone, it felt like a great exit cue never to return. The episode was rushed. I think if they had slowed down and given me a sense of the world and what these people did, as if they were real and not just players on a stage, I would have been pulled in. I would give this show a score of 0 which I believe in metacritic terms equals a mixed review scoring 40. Expand
  21. Jun 21, 2011
    Having not read the books, I was thoroughly surprised by the series and found myself enjoying it so far immensely. The show is good because the original author retains control, a "realistic" element runs strong and the backgrounds and extras are adequately fleshed out. Can't wait for more.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    I loved the premiere episode. Some people seem to have issues with the pace and the jumps between scenes etc and I guess I can understand what they mean but when I watched it I didn't even notice a problem with things like that at all. I think it was a very good adaption of the books. The acting is good throughout and even excellent by many cast members even in smaller roles. I think that having read the books puts certain things, that some have taken issue with (like sex and racism), into a perspective where it's not the same problem since you know more about the whole world and how various characters think. Expand
  23. Jun 21, 2011
    It was the great geek hope. A good friend of mine told me this would change my mind about fantasy. But it didn't happen. I thought it was a cardinal rule of fantasy to have bearded dwarves and this was different. But beardless dwarves is not enough to make me want to go play miniatures and dice in a basement. The nudity was obviously gratuitous [edit score changed to 10]
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    Game of Thrones achieved something I didn't think was possible. It managed to capture the essence of the books, but in such an amazing way that even someone who hasn't read the books is able to follow the story.
    One thing I especially loved was the way they made show's intro a piece of an explanatory process. It shows you the world and the places the story is taking place so that you can
    have an idea of where exactly the characters are located.
    Being a huge fan of the "Song of Ice and Fire" series I'm extremely glad show lived up to all my expectations and I'm anxiously awaiting the upcoming episodes and am also extremely glad it already got renewed for the second season!
  25. Apr 21, 2011
    A great adaptation of the books. They changed just enough to make it a good tv experience, keeping the spirit of the books. The first chapters will be a bit slow, but it will only get better as all the characters are introducted, and the exposition isn't as needed for the non-readers.
  26. Apr 21, 2011
  27. Apr 21, 2011
    A brilliant adaptation of George R. R. Martin's fantasy masterpiece. The book's cast of hundreds has been necessarily reduced to a cast of dozens, but this series will satisfy both devotees and newbies. The cast is excellent (particularly Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister Sean Bean as Eddard Stark), the sets and camera work are stellar, and the whole production brings a breath of fresh air to a stale genre. Expand
  28. Apr 22, 2011
    Game of Thrones is the TV adaption from the books of George R.R. Martin, A Song of Ice and Fire. Where television adaptions usually fail, Game of Thrones succeeds. The characters, cast, scenery, costume, etc., all looked incredible and had the feeling I was really a apart of this world. Although not every little detail was translated perfectly from the books, and some scenes I would have like to have seen were missing, the pilot episode was still grand achievement in setting down the main story.

The first episode tries it's best to set down this complex storyline. Some people might feel a little lost, or uncomfortable with this new world at first. You also have to keep in mind that this story is an adult story, and as I said, it is complex. For those who have never read the books and found the pilot interesting, trust me it gets better and better with each episode. Stick with it, and you'll get to witness one of the best stories ever told!
  29. Apr 22, 2011
    needed more monsters and less nudity how can I make that at least 150 characters long? ok it also needed less incest and more actual politics strategy and fighting. and maybe a real plot
  30. Apr 22, 2011
    I am a HUGE fan of the ASOIAF books and have read them multiple times, so my while my expectations were admittedly low, my hopes were very high. My expectations were very low from having them dashed repeatedly by Hollywood treating epic series merely as potential cash cows and "watering" them down to cater to the unwashed masses (eg. The Legend of the Seeker tv series which was based on "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.) My hopes were high because I really love ASOIAF and wanted something that wouldn't embarrass the books. Let's just say that I was completely blown away by just how accurately this show followed (as of Episode 1) follows the books. It's practically a scene by scene unfolding of the written text onto the tv screen. A lot of care and attention to detail had clearly gone into getting each scene and all the characters outfits and mannerisms as close to the books as possible. Everybody looked great and even little details that were in the books were present in the show, even if not mentioned. The acting was superb, especially by that of the person playing Tyrion, one of my favorite characters. The young and innocent Dany is also played really well. I can't wait until my other favorite, Arya, gets more screen time. Expand
  31. Apr 23, 2011
    Well plotted and paced; excellent, has taken the fantasy genre to another level. Excellent masterpiece. I should also say that if this show is a commercial failure, or even a commercial mediocrity, I will never forgive society.
  32. Apr 23, 2011
    Awesome show! Never read the the books but know someone who has and said it's pretty accurate so far.
    Has that Gladiator Lord of the rings feel to it. A must watch if your a fan of the two movies!
  33. Apr 23, 2011
    When I first heard of Game of Thrones, I was intrigued. I started reading the first book in the series and I love it. I say something on Gameinformer that said something like "Not as many noobs as Aseroth, ans not as eno as Middle-Earth." I think that quote fits perfectly. For anyone who enjoys fantasy, this should be a must watch.
  34. Apr 23, 2011
    Fantastic series with extraordinarily high production values. The show does a sterling job in introducing some of the very large cast and making emotional connections early on. The story is fantastic and I cannot wait to see what the show has in store. This blows everything currently on television out of the water.
  35. Apr 23, 2011
    I really enjoyed the entire episode. I am happy to finally have a show that reminds me of D&D and doesn't look like a $2 production or a kids show. The town was realistic looking and the characters behaved as I would expect them to in the dark ages. The way the episode started I thought wtf. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting a great sword battle. It didn't come but the White Skins made the scene just as exciting. I have never read the books and I'm not sure if I will. Thanks HBO for creating a show that us original D&D players and DL Chronicle readers can enjoy. Expand
  36. Apr 24, 2011
    Pace was always going to be difficult when trying to introduce this many characters, but under the circumstances they did a good job, its only going to get quicker from here. Really enjoyed the first episode.
  37. Apr 25, 2011
    I will state from the beginning, I am a fan of the original book series. I went into the premiere having never seen an HBO show before, and I will admit, my expectations were low. To be able to condense all of the information from the book into a television series seemed like an impossible feat, but after watching the pilot I am confident that they can do it. The production quality was astounding, the casting unbelievable, and altogether I believe this is a fantastic start to something greater. The action is convincing enough to keep viewers entertained, the subject material different enough to pull in people who haven't read the books, and the series as a whole is faithful enough to keep those who have read the series happy. It started strong and I am confident that it will stay that way. Expand
  38. Apr 25, 2011
    Magnificent, Game of Thrones is by far the best series I have seen to this day. Each episode so far has been packed with a rich and intriguing story that keeps you glued start to end, the only downsider is having to wait another week to watch the next episode ! For any of the uninitiated, I highly recommend the series but don't go into the show thinking of classical goblins, dragons etc throw those used notions away and allow the series to absorb your interest you won't regret it.

My only regret is that I haven't read any of George R R Martins novels yet.
  39. Apr 26, 2011
    From all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go no where show, such as LOST.

Well done keep the season moving.
  40. Apr 27, 2011
    It is very rare that an adaptation can live up to the images we keep in our heads from a book. Often I hear "the book was better". Occasionally I hear "the adaptation was better". This is quite literally the first time I've seen an adaptation that is simultaneously not the story I imagine from the book and yet still hits every note I think the story should have had. Extra scenes feel like added bonus material. Cut scenes feel like bonus information for book readers. Performances are fantastic. Sets are gorgeous. The music is awesome. Even the opening title sequence is inspired. Is it for non readers? I can't judge that, the biggest problem for them is avoiding spoilers on the net. All that said. This is a politics and power piece. This won't bring in the action fans, but it will have elements interesting to fans of horror, thrillers, suspense, mystery, historicals, and preludes to war. Those who demand shows adhere to their particular belief systems will also find many elements of the show distasteful. There is sex, violence, and squick, but they all serve the plot or symbolism rather than just be placed to titillate. If shots of pumping blood, disembowlment, or unpleasant sex so engross your mind that you can't pick up the quality of the rest of the performances, this show won't be for you. It's for people who like to eat steaks from sacred cows.

I find complaints about stereotypes in this show hilarious. One can't show people bucking a stereotype without setting them up as one to begin with, and one can't show people bucking an oppressive system without having that oppressive system to begin with.
  41. Apr 27, 2011
    The relationships of the book are well realized and the telling of much with subtle and nuanced performances all adds up to an intriguing show. As a personal preference I might have liked a slight toning down of the nudity but it's no major detraction and to be fair it is in good keeping with the source material. Importantly wherever there is vulgarity the acting is good enough to justify it by virtue of sheer
    personality.

The entire cast feels well chosen, particular favorites so far that
    have caught my attention by their emotionally loaded portrayals are
    Arya and Tyrion, but also John, Rob and Eddard which bodes well for
    the series at large since they are all such major characters.

The dire wolves and the medieval vistas are presented with a haunting
    level of authenticity that captures the imagination and stays grounded
    all at once.

The ill hid contempt of the Queen for her dwarf brother and the
    protectiveness of family both amongst the Starks and their rivals are
    portrayed easily and captivatingly. It's also what lays a solid
    foundation for the action.

Motivations, loyalties, ambitions, passions and embitterments are done
    pleasing justice with a script that suits the tone and atmosphere of
    a chaotic and embattled medieval society with teeth of corruption and
    claws of bravery, the series gives its own enhanced perspective and
    for as long as everyone is fighting out of their own hearts all is
    well in the lands of Westeros.
  42. Apr 30, 2011
    This is a brilliant transition from book to film thus far. I have never seen a movie or TV series follow the book so well. The high production value and great casting just adds to the immersion. It would be best to watch the whole season one episode after another to get the full effect, And now with HBOGO available we can do it on our iphones/ipads! Can't wait to see how they handle 3 very interesting characters that appear at the very end of the first book! Expand
  43. May 1, 2011
    Excellent acting and photography.
    Interesting characters, intriguing and addictive story.
    It starts slow, but looks promising.
    I don't like fantasy, but this is one of the very few exceptions.
  44. May 1, 2011
    Having read the entire book series, multiple times, I had some concerns coming into the televised series. Thankfully they have been proven unfounded. The acting, writing, and set design are all excellent!
  45. May 4, 2011
    A Game of Thrones asks the question: "What if the War of the Roses was fought not by two families, but over half a dozen? The show does justice to the extremely popular book series that it's based on. HBO has done a fine job of recreating the much loved characters, as well as the various sub-plots that they're involved in. While at the time of this review the different layers of conflict haven't fully emerged, the stage is being well set for the chess game that is coming, with different characters as the pieces.

My only real concern is the level of back story new audiences are being asked to take in; the solution of which HBO is addressing through their Game of Thrones website which provides a great deal of explanation. This is a good solution to the commonly used tactic of having characters discuss back story that the involved characters are fully aware of.

HBO has also done a great job at finding ways to reduce costs while putting together a fine story; I only mention this because many fans are afraid of the show being cut due to costs. We can only hope that interest will remain high as this is a show that far surpasses the plethora of mind numbing sitcoms that are so popular amongst audiences today.
  46. May 8, 2011
    Long story short. This show is really good. If your looking for a typical fantasy with orcs, dragons and wizards along with sensless violence then game of thrones isn't for you. Overall great characters and great story! I strongly recommend this to anyone who doesnt watch desperate housewives.
  47. May 8, 2011
    If your somewhat a fan of fantasy stories and games, whats not to like? Really enjoy the story thus-far and I only hear from people who have read the book that it only gets far better. Really excited to see how the season will pan out!
  48. May 9, 2011
    I have never read the book that this is based upon(Song of Ice and Fire I believe). But I will now. This is probably one of the best television series that I have ever watched. There is no sugar coating for the kiddies but a realistic portrayal of a dark gritty fantasy world complete with Shakespearean dramatics. The visuals and cinematography are some of the best I have seen for this genre. The acting is superb and draws the viewer into this realm like no other. If I could go higher than 10/10 I would. Collapse
  49. May 13, 2011
    I have never read the books, so I thought I might get lost initially - my fears were unfounded however, this show is building something great that's equally brilliant in pace of story and character development.

Every episode gives more insight into the large character pool which is comparable to the excellent 'The Wire'. The depth of the various groups and individuals in Westeros blows
    me away more each week, and you get glimpses of what each focal character's potential has in store for them... I can only imagine how great this show is for readers of the books.... I really can't say enough about the quality and class of spectacle on show here - 10/10 with a big red cherry on top! Expand
  50. May 15, 2011
    Epic, amazing - hadn't read the books so I went out and bought them all. Making my way through the first one now and there are a few differences - mainly that they have cut some characters, which I guess makes sense as there is a load to remember in the book. I'm wondering now whether I should continue to read past where the show is up to - I think I will, from what I heard it only adds to the value. This is how fantasy should be done on TV. Expand
  51. May 17, 2011
    This show is just amazing. It features one of the best put together cast in recent times. Most of the actors are unknown; but boy can they act! Especially the young actors (Arya and Bran for example), they do a terrific job of playing their roles.
    As the show goes on you sympathize with their characters, you feel what they are going through. The show is full of deceit, backstabbing,
    violence, outstanding dialogues, intriguing characters and much more. I would even go as far as putting this show up with the likes of The Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, Deadwood and the Shield. It's by far one of the best shows in recent times.

Of course this show won't appeal to everyone. If you're not into the genre then there's a chance you will not enjoy all other amazing aspects of Game of Thrones.

A special note should go to the performances of Ned Stark (Sean Bean) and Tyrion Lannister (Peter Dinklage). Especially the Imp :). He plays his character with so much wit and style that he even outclasses Sean Bean. He's by far the best actor in this series.
    He owns every scene he is in.

There is however one thing that I dislike about the show and that's King Robert (Mark Addy). I'm sorry but he's the weakest link here.
    Other than that, there's not much to dislike about Game of Thrones.
    I'm always a little sad that I have to wait another week for the next episode! haha.

oh and I like this show so much that I even went ahead and ordered the books :)
  52. May 18, 2011
    Well Acted, scripted and directed. The story is Engaging and enthralling , this show has renewed my faith in television as an entertaining medium after years of being subjected to waves of drab mediocrity
  53. May 19, 2011
    Started with a bang and follows through perfectly. HBO has done the books a great justice. Not too over the top with adult subjects but just enough to pull you into it. The vast amount of background and lead-up knowledge the books provide isn't as much needed as you straight away get an idea of what characters are like. In a make-or-break genre this has come out roaring. We want more!
  54. May 22, 2011
    I saw this in a magazine and because it was fantasy, I wasn't really bothered. I took the time to watch it and was amazed by the amount of effort HBO put in. It is as good as, if not better then Band of Brothers, the characters and their actors are amazing and it has a great story. I wouldn't recommend this to children though, its not like Lord of the Rings in any way and is much darker and grittier. The best TV series I have ever seen, truly outstanding work. Expand
  55. May 22, 2011
    I haven't read the G.R.R. Martin books yet, but I definitely will now after watching the five episodes released so far. Excellent acting, engaging characters, darkly intriguing story, beautiful locations and sets with a somber gothic atmosphere. The soundtrack also does an awesome job of complimenting the tone without being a distraction. All in all awesome production values. I will be buying the entire collection on dvd when it comes out. Expand
  56. May 22, 2011
    I loved the books, and at first I thought the show wasn't living up to its potential.

By the second episode I was hooked though, and it just gets better each episode. Even if I do remember what is coming the show still amazes.
  57. May 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic Series! The story is simply gripping and it it doesn't separate in good and bad characters, The acting is better with every passing episode. HBO delivers quality yet again! Expand
  58. May 23, 2011
    A great series with fine actors. Depends less on sorcery and special effects and more on the many faults and frailty of human nature. Not afraid to kill off main characters makes it more realistic than most fairy tale, scifi-fantasy shows in TV and Movies. If you want the good guys to win and live happily ever after, this is not the series for you, go watch Twilight or Harry Potter. Makes HBO's. Much better than that high school level crap in True Blood. Hopefully HBO will keep this series and do away with that vampire rubbish. Expand
  59. May 24, 2011
    Having seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The sets, costumes, and locations they use are all well designed and compliment the story. The music is good enough, but the only memorable tune I've heard so far is the opening theme (which is fantastic). If you go into Game of Thrones expecting typical fantasy fair (such as monsters and wizards) you will find a much different and 'realistic' take on a fantasy setting. Instead of spells and goblins you will find a gritty, politically charged world filled with intrigue and numerous compelling characters. This is a show everyone must see, regardless of whether or not you like fantasy. So far this is the best new TV show of the year, and as long as the next episodes and seasons remain high quality, it will be one of the best shows ever created. Expand
  60. May 25, 2011
    My initial reaction was 'meh'. After 2 and a bit episodes, I'm totally sold on GoT and am helplessly gripped after 6. This is the finest fantasy since Lord of the Rings to make its way onto film. Excellent.
  61. May 25, 2011
    So this show is the best show ive ever seen.... The only bad part about it is the fact that i have to wait a week to see the next one :( !!! Looking forward to season two!!
  62. May 26, 2011
    Absolutely great. A breath of fresh air in the worn-out Disney-fied Fantasy-Genre. This is Fantasy for Grown-Ups! Understandaby a bit slow in the first few Episodes, after all, everything needs to be explained, and there's a lot to explain. But it starts picking up pace from Episode 5.
  63. May 26, 2011
    This is the only show on TV that I go out of my way to watch. Sex, violence, humor, fantasy, romance.. this show has it all wrapped around a good story. The acting is top notch, as are the sets and everything else you'd expect from HBO.
  64. May 26, 2011
    Simply amongst the best TV I've ever watched. In one word, Epic. The story, the characters, the drama, the darkness, this show has it all. It might be fantasy which is not to everyones tastes but the world of Westeros is so real and believable. The fact that a lot of this was shot in Northern Ireland makes me so proud. I must point out how dark this is however and my shock some people, for me that's a good thing. It makes Lord Of The Rings feel like its for kids. Real must watch TV. Expand
  65. May 27, 2011
    This is most definitely the best fantasy show of late. When looking at the user Score of 9.0 it is clear that the show is receiving fantastic feedback from a wide verity of viewers. I for one agree with the positive feedback i have seen here. Well done. TV show quality reaching better and better highs. Congratulations in order for producers & such :)
  66. NKM
    May 27, 2011
    Great job! Characters are great, actors are fantastic. Especially kids and Peter Dinklage. Sean Bean is amazing as always. This series is A MUST. Do not miss it.
  67. May 28, 2011
    This show is great. Compare the user rating to the critic rating. Look at the date the critics rated the show. Their ratings are all based off one or maybe two episodes. How can you rate the show off one episode? It's an epic tale with so many parts to it, that one or two shows could never do it justice. The show does stay very true to the books though the way it starts out, I was impressed. Just realize this series is not for the faint of heart. Expand
  68. May 28, 2011
    I am a fan of the genre, but I started watching as a skeptic. I was not at all convinced that HBO could create a compelling fantasy property. Boy was I wrong. This series is absolutely blowing me away. The acting is brilliant, the story lines are engaging and sophisticated, and HBO has clearly given everyone involved the creative license to challenge us, appall us, and delight us. If you are not watching Game of Thrones you are missing the best show on TV bar none. Expand
  69. May 29, 2011
    Watched the first 4 episodes and so far, so excellent. Gripping stuff and great characters. Will be interesting to see how things develop. Impressive that each episode, even more storyline threads are woven in without it becoming confusing or overwhelming. Recommended.
  70. May 30, 2011
    A spectacular presentation of a spectacular fantasy series. The production values are outstanding, the characters richly drawn, and the caste, though largely no names, is terrific.
  71. Jun 1, 2011
    This show blows my mind with each episode. There is a lot going on, plot threads and character development, but it is perfectly put together. Great cast, excellent direction. Not sure I can wait a year for season 2 once season 1 finishes, sadly I have no choice. This series shows that treating the audience as intelligence adults can produce a thought provoking and entertaining program.
  72. Jun 1, 2011
    I love this show, it is intriguing, provocative, entertaining, and enjoyable. It's production is on a massive scale that one has to appreciate. It's also just fun to watch. The story has many subplots that tie into one another that most people should want to watch through to the end.
  73. Jun 1, 2011
    Always been a casual fan of great fantasy literature - LOTR, Forgotten Realms, and even the occasional Dragonlance; GoT stands among them as one of the best, both in book and television form. Great characters, political intrigue and a hint of fantasy make for one epic story indeed. I'm glad I jumped on this series right away.
  74. Jun 2, 2011
    Really nice series so far; brilliant and entertaining and without compromises - should you compare it to the book. Also it's becoming clear this thing will rock your world even more as the second season starts off! I'm sure the show will grow up to be COLOSSAL in the best ways possible!
  75. Jun 5, 2011
    I came into Game of Thrones without knowing anything about it or the books behind it. I only heard about the series from the guys at machinima.com. I'm glad now I bothered to look it up as I have never enjoyed or watched a series quite like this. Each episode is more intense then the last and will leave you swearing at your TV when it finishes, it's no surprise that the series as earned the nick name "Game of Holy F#cks". Do yourself a favor and check it out... there's boobs ;) Expand
  76. Jun 6, 2011
    Excellent. The characters are rich, the plot twists and turns nicely. It's good to see something with the political intrigue and sophistication of some of the weightier HBO stuff nicely mixed in with some sword fighting and battles.... One of it's key strengths is building character and giving it all a palpable sense of danger. Plus, all the decent northerners speak with proper northern England accents like me! A BD purchase too I reckon... Expand
  77. Jun 6, 2011
    An epic achievement!! HBO's game of thrones is transitioned flawlessly straight from Martin's books. Game of Thrones is an excellent Drama existing in a historically rich, gritty world with 3 dimensional characters who live and die in shades of gray.
  78. Jun 9, 2011
    I'm completely hooked on this show. The first few episodes were dense with new character introduction and a touch slow which may throw a few people off early on, but now that its into full swing I'm chomping at the bit every week to watch it.

The acting is great across the board, but the real standout of the show is Peter Dinklage. He does a brilliant job of creating a genuinely complex
    and real character that you can't help but like.

I recommend it to anyone who likes a real meaty bite of episodic television.
  79. Jun 9, 2011
    I hate to be one of those pretentious people who points out that the original source material is better than the show. In this case, I actually don't have to say that because the writers of the show have tried to stay as faithful as possible while taking some minor creative liberties to occasionally flesh out a character. Where the books do a great job of explaining what a POV character is thinking, or what drives them to behave the way they do, the show does lose that because we can't tell what a character is thinking on the show beyond the words that come out of their mouth, and the occasional nuances noted in the faces of the excellent cast. Where was I going with this? I forget... Oh right, the show. It's great. In fact, anyone who doesn't like the show will fall into one (or more) of these categories:

(1) You don't like any semblance of fantasy story telling and you're trying to tear the show a new one by pointing out the fallacies associated with the world of Westeros.
    (2) You are an idiot, who cannot read, write, spell, and you have the attention span of a Michael Bay fanatic, and the lack of explosions and slow motion is making you antsy.
    (3) You are expecting things to move more quickly, which is really surprising if you like any show on HBO. Has anybody here seen the Wire? Talk about slow development, but talk about rewarding. I feel the same is true for Game of Thrones.
    (4) You just are impossible to please. Period.

The casting is exemplar and the acting chops of some of them are downright brilliant. Tyrion? Easily one of my favorite characters. Some of the characters have been made a little older, but that's fine. Certain characters, you love to hate (Cersei, Joffrey), while others you hope will turn out to be less douchey than they initially seem (Renly, Varys). Of course if you have read the books, you know what's coming so you do lose that surprise aspect... Regardless, this is a great show that will reward its viewers (through the excellent story as created by Martin). If you don't have the patience for it though, grab that Transformers 2 DVD and save us all the annoyance of having to read your whining.
  80. Jun 13, 2011
    This is a great show and that is all one really needs to write about it. One could go down into 101 little things that one might not like, but why? Itâ
  81. Jun 14, 2011
    This show is amazing. I hardly ever watch tv shows but this is pretty good. Know why? Because it's pretty much an almost 1:1 rendition the book, which was a super fun and interesting read. It's really fun to see the video version of the book millions read years ago.
  82. Jun 14, 2011
    I read the book a while ago and didn't really remember all aspects of the story. I re-read it after the first episode on HBO and was amazed at how true the adaptation was to the book! Great scripting, awesome production and amazing acting lead to excellent execution of creating a tv series for the ages. Keep it up HBO! Thanks for having the guts to stick to the book's storyline and capturing the essence of Martin's writing. Expand
  83. Jun 15, 2011
    First off I have not read the books. After watching A Game of Thrones I will most definatly will be buying the entire series, what has been released, and will be marking off the calender so I can read through them as fast as I can. Personally this the only TV show that I enjoy watching. If HBO cancels the season, like so many of my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy seasons have been, they will be going on my black list, like the scify channel and fox. I see that a lot of users are complaining about the production and plot progression. Just saying that for myself it is entertaining and that is what it all boils down to. Are you entertained? Expand
  84. Jun 15, 2011
    Quando saiu o filme SENHOR DOS ANEIS, a primeira coisa que me veio a cabeça qdo terminei de ver o filme no cinema foi: pq não fizeram uma serie ao invez de um filme? Com a GAME OF THRONES, a coisa começou no caminho certo! Mesmo que pareçam poucos epsódios para uma série, mas devemos lembrar que cada epsódio tem aproximadamente 1 hora de duração. Está muito bem trabalhado, muito bem adaptado e a produção para essa primeira temporada, foi ótima. Espero que continue assim pra melhor, pois a proxima temporada irá exigir mais da produção. Expand
  85. Jun 16, 2011
    Personally i think this is the best TV series i have ever seen. Although it is based on a series of fantasy books it has a certain realism and such a great medieval-like setting that you dont even see on big budget movies. If you haven't read the books like myself, there will be a few references that you may not understand at the beginning. Nothing major though. As the episodes go by you get the hang of everything. Till you reach episode 4 you get into the plot and see how things work. On top of everything, there is some top notch acting in it. I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  86. Jun 21, 2011
    There is something sinister going on here. HBO is using an existing story/book franchise with an established reputation as some kind of human shield. The culprit holding it at sword-point as they shuffle along for ten hours is a t*ts & as* ratings-grabber. The opening scenes appear to be written by, directed, shot and edited by a completely different crew to the one responsible for the rest of the first episode. Which is probably why I enjoyed the opening. It contained well-executed scenes and a promise of a story with intrigue and action to come. And there ended the budget. From then on, it becomes a domestic family feud soapie with bad dialogue and a story that leaves you drifting off and patting the cat. This costume test of a show is hacked up with laughably gratuitous sex scenes, and we all know what that really means in a program this immature - naked women scenes. Usually prostitutes. HBO loooves prostitutes in their shows - no time wasted introducing superfluous female characters there for one thing - instant boobs and bum shots, and [only] occasional full frontals. Let's not cheapen it. Some of the main actresses tend to pull down the show with the weight of their carefully casted boobs, too. But not very far - it's at no great height to begin with. But at least these actresses get three lines of dialogue and storyline invested in them before it's tops off. And that's just sad. If a show reeeaally is designed to be a camp, sexy ratings vehicle, at least be equal opportunistic. Clearly this is yet another old-fashioned fuddy-duddy-made show with double standards, where only women are portrayed gratuitously and there is a glaringly obvious disorder of sexynudemanphobia. I'll give the creators a tip here - perhaps that's why the sex scenes don't work? You need both/all parties to appear remotely sexy? Let's face it, how many juvenile homophobic males who don't understand that aspects of a show might not be aimed at them can there be? Maybe one day, these shows will grow some balls [pardon the pun], or even better - grow some story and action and lose the crotch altogether. I mean, crutch. Oh I know I've rambled on mostly about the gratuitous sex [naked female] scenes. But really - what else is there to this show? Promotion from an existing book? It's like a bad ad - if the audience can see they're being manipulated, it just doesn't sell. Expand
  87. Jun 17, 2011
    Hands down one the best television shows I have ever seen. Everything from the casting, to the acting, to the directing is of the highest caliber. Although I had never read the books or even heard about them before watching this series, I must say that the author r.r. Martin has woven an epic myth that shines a light on the many facets of the human condition. A modern masterpiece. The only thing I don't like about the show is that I am now going to have to wait many month for the next season to begin. Truly brilliant! Expand
  88. Jun 18, 2011
    While not a perfect adaption of the books (Some bits that will be important in later seasons were skipped over for the sake of time) it's pretty damn close. HBOs hand is a bit ever-present with the addition of gratuities not really necessary to the story, but they serve well enough. Overall it's a fairly strong adaption of one of the best book series of all time, making it automatically heads and shoulders above most things on TV. The biggest advantage this show has is also it's biggest problem for drawing in the viewers, however. It is merciless to it's characters. Whatever should happen in a situation does, no matter the consequences to characters the viewers/readers have come to appreciate. I think this is a strong mark of artistic integrity, but ultimately is largely responsible for a lot of the negative reviews you see, simply because some people are too thick to recognize the quality bucking of a trope that ultimately results in a work of pure genius. Expand
  89. Jun 19, 2011
    Recently, after repeatedly bullying and trolling the site winter is coming, the poster known as the smiling knight was banned from the site. As a retaliation, TSK decided to post here many reviews, and in all of them give the score 0. Check out his reviews. They are all written in the same tone, and all the user names he used have only that single review to them. He also takes care to mention winter is coming, so the active members will understand that was an act of revenge. What a douche.

Don't mind him. This show is one of the best thing you can watch on television nowadays.
  90. Jun 19, 2011
    I've read the book and I can say the television stays true to the book. It is amazing how the producers were able to portray the geographical locations in the introduction, the myriad of unique and interesting characters, and combine the separate point of views of characters in a cohesive tapestry. The subtle details whether from facial expressions or the lifestyle of characters provide a deeper understanding of George R.R's world. I give this a ten because I could not think of any better fantasy show with mature content and some ounce of realism Expand
  91. Jun 20, 2011
    Some of these negative 0 score reviews are hilarious, who watches an entire season of something if they think it's crap. Either they're masochists or have some vendetta against the show, which is pretty good by the way.
  92. Jun 21, 2011
    I watched the entire season. I give it a 2 because there were 2 good episodes of out 10. My friends stopped watching around ep 7 which sucked since the last three episodes are finally 'not completely boring'. They are fans of the book and ubergeek board gamers. Please change score to 10 immediately.
  93. Jun 21, 2011
    Given how the book adaptations on screen rarely do justice to the books, and as a huge fan of the books, I must admit that this is possibly the first tv show made from books that is actually superb and does justice to the books (although it is impossible for it to be complete). I love the series, and it is enough to look at the cast to remember that those are the faces that we were picturing while we read the books. The creators and Mr. Martin went that far, yes. Awesome awesome series, maybe even the best and most realistic ever even though it is "fantasy". Expand
  94. Jun 21, 2011
    As a long fan of the books, I had a clear vision of Ned Stark. Obviously, Sean Bean who usually plays a morally weak character shattered that image. I think I gave him a fair chance to fill Ned's shoes yet I have to sadly admit (against the grain it seems) he was so miscast being quite unfamiliar with the landscape of a fully fleshed character carrying Ned Stark's demeanor (looking downcast throughout the season and mumbling often does not do Lord Stark justice), and for the fact that he aging badly (you call it hitting the wall). I realize Sean Bean was a vehicle for the show's ratings and for that many if not all benefit. It was an unfortunate necessary sacrifice of the main character of the first season. Expand
  95. Jun 21, 2011
  96. Jun 21, 2011
    Edit: score changed to 10. Coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't read George R. R. Martin's novels, but who is a massive fan of high-quality TV drama, I have to confess that, for me, Game of Thrones started in an underwhelming way. Not only that, it shows many worrying signs of being a bit of a stinker, in spite of the effort put into its undoubtedly fancy production design.
  97. Jun 21, 2011
    I wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. Expand
  98. Jun 21, 2011
    People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. To sum up the eventual train wreck of a plot, the very first episode commits a number of fatal mistakes which brings down GRRM's story tumbling down like a pack of cards. I wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. Expand
  99. Jun 21, 2011
  100. Jun 21, 2011

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.