• Network: HBO
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
9.2

Universal acclaim- based on 2041 Ratings

1. Dec 20, 2011
    i am so hooked on this show it really well done, hbo has really out done its self and i hope it does well and continues to make me want to watch more. the actor{s roles have been devloping quite nicly in a way that prompts mistery.
  2. Apr 26, 2011
    From all apects i found the show a breath of fresh air, with is no holds barred approach and decent acting i really look forward to its progression and seeing how it can continue to push the envolope and hopefully make the other networks work to have some shows that arent do it yourself renovation, cooking, celebrity crap, talk shows or the how hum CSI/COP/oh its a mystery that will go no where show, such as LOST.

Well done keep the season moving.
  3. Dec 27, 2011
    I haven't read the books (yet), but this series really intrigued me. Plot, characters and their development are all top notch. Best fantasy show I ever watched...
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    I entered this unaware of George R.R. Martin or the series. I've exited a huge fan. As a middle of the road, sort-of armchair fantasy fan I wasn't sure when I first heard about this series, maybe it would be too much fantasy, too far from life. Now, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe, that's what it's meant to be, but I never like fantasy that went too far from life. Luckily for me, it's not like that. Luckily, it's from HBO; a network who's shows have always dealt with reality. I may be a bad fan of fantasy. I may be doing it wrong, I probably am, but if this show had been purely dragons and such things I would surely have exited the show early; disappointed. But the real-life aspects have kept me enthralled, kept me relating to certain characters. It isn't up to The Wire in levels of realism, but it's the closest a show like this could get. Great acting, great writing and exactly what I wanted. Thanks George for writing, thanks HBO for adapting. Expand
  5. Apr 18, 2011
    I must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, and brilliantly acted. Of the three, "Game of Thrones" seems to have the most characters and storylines onscreen, even after just the pilot and a few on-demand clips. Unlike some viewers, I did not find the pilot confusing (and, no, I haven't read the novel on which the series is based). Watching it a second time, I picked up a few bits of backstory that I missed the first time through, nothing too important. In fact, I think the series does an astonishing job of establishing and differentiating dozens of characters, conveying a keen sense of place (4 times), and setting up essential conflicts, without making us feel as though we're choking on exposition like the fat king chokes on swan. Yes, there's a "Tudors"-meets-"Spartacus" obsession with bare breasts, chiseled torsos, and just-severed heads dribbling blood (and more rear entry than in a whole season of "Wild Kingdom"), but there's also extremely imaginative design--not just of sets and costumes but of whole cultures, including at least one language. And the cast? I loved Sean Bean's under-utilized Odysseus from "Troy" and have been waiting ever since for him to get a good meaty lead, so I'm thrilled by his weary warlord, Eddard Stark. I can't tell yet about most of the others--there were just too many--though a few stood out. Peter Dinklage has won well-deserved kudos as Tyrion Lannister, the outsider best able to understand the bitter dynastic politics of his age--and to enjoy himself in spite of them. I was also quite impressed with Harry Lloyd, who plays Viserys Targaryen, the deposed heir obsessed with regaining his crown and prepared to barter his sister for the chance. Creepy but with just the right sense of entitlement. I'm looking forward to Sunday nights for the next few months, and I hope that I have enough company to persuade the networks to keep up the excellent work! Expand
  6. May 26, 2011
    This is the only show on TV that I go out of my way to watch. Sex, violence, humor, fantasy, romance.. this show has it all wrapped around a good story. The acting is top notch, as are the sets and everything else you'd expect from HBO.
  7. Jun 9, 2012
    Game of Thrones is fantastic and a premium HBO triumph. The series drowns in its lore, in a good way, so that when each episode is over you'll be crying for more. From the stellar cast, the gorgeous imagery, to the fantastic soundtrack and the clinching story Game of Thrones triumphs in every possible way imaginable. Highly Recommended for Lord Of The Rings and Skyrim fans!
  8. Jun 14, 2011
    This show is amazing. I hardly ever watch tv shows but this is pretty good. Know why? Because it's pretty much an almost 1:1 rendition the book, which was a super fun and interesting read. It's really fun to see the video version of the book millions read years ago.
  9. May 22, 2011
    I haven't read the G.R.R. Martin books yet, but I definitely will now after watching the five episodes released so far. Excellent acting, engaging characters, darkly intriguing story, beautiful locations and sets with a somber gothic atmosphere. The soundtrack also does an awesome job of complimenting the tone without being a distraction. All in all awesome production values. I will be buying the entire collection on dvd when it comes out. Expand
  10. May 25, 2011
    My initial reaction was 'meh'. After 2 and a bit episodes, I'm totally sold on GoT and am helplessly gripped after 6. This is the finest fantasy since Lord of the Rings to make its way onto film. Excellent.
  11. Oct 2, 2011
    Easily one of the best series ever created!!! The critics who don't give this show at least 90% should not be critics because they suck!!!Awesome awesome series!!!
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    Having not read the books, I was thoroughly surprised by the series and found myself enjoying it so far immensely. The show is good because the original author retains control, a "realistic" element runs strong and the backgrounds and extras are adequately fleshed out. Can't wait for more.
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Looked incredible. Very strong cast and an excellent translation from book to screen. A lot of information to take in but it was handled well. The shocking end of the first episode left me desperate to see the next, and all my fears over how good they could make this adaptation have been put aside.
  14. Aug 16, 2011
    Best Show On Television Period. Amazing character development, action sequences, and story. A must watch for everyone. I can't wait for Season 2 to start.
  15. Jul 20, 2012
    Thrones is the fantasy epic to end all fantasy epics in my opinion. The world they'e created is so believable, as are the characters and their political wranglings that you'll be sucked into this universe for the duration of each episode. It's gritty, dark, brutally violent and very reminiscent of our own dark ages. That's why Thrones appeals to such a large target audience. Alhough it IS fantasy, dragons warlocks, zombies, etc, it doesn't bludgeon you with the nerdiness. My friend hates fantasy, Lord of The Rings drove him nuts, but he loves this as he says it's very realistic in terms of the ways things were. The action is awesome, the acting is perfect, the dialouge is spot on - just all-round brilliance really. If every TV series were like this we'd be laughing. Expand
  16. Jun 20, 2011
    Some of these negative 0 score reviews are hilarious, who watches an entire season of something if they think it's crap. Either they're masochists or have some vendetta against the show, which is pretty good by the way.
  17. Sep 16, 2013
    Magnificent. I never read the books, so the story was quite amazing to me, and the twists and turns caught me completely off guard. What is very great about the story is how fully realized the complex world is, and how the different plot lines intertwine together into one massive saga that surely still has much to offer in the coming seasons. I read that there are 7 novels in total. Will be exciting to see how they are played out. Another great thing about the story, is how it relates to many historical elements in medieval Europe. Yet the story feels original. Overall, it is a beautifully crafted TV show that is definitely worth checking out. Expand
  18. May 26, 2011
    Absolutely great. A breath of fresh air in the worn-out Disney-fied Fantasy-Genre. This is Fantasy for Grown-Ups! Understandaby a bit slow in the first few Episodes, after all, everything needs to be explained, and there's a lot to explain. But it starts picking up pace from Episode 5.
  19. Apr 23, 2011
    I really enjoyed the entire episode. I am happy to finally have a show that reminds me of D&D and doesn't look like a $2 production or a kids show. The town was realistic looking and the characters behaved as I would expect them to in the dark ages. The way the episode started I thought wtf. I was on the edge of my seat awaiting a great sword battle. It didn't come but the White Skins made the scene just as exciting. I have never read the books and I'm not sure if I will. Thanks HBO for creating a show that us original D&D players and DL Chronicle readers can enjoy. Expand
  20. Jun 1, 2011
    Always been a casual fan of great fantasy literature - LOTR, Forgotten Realms, and even the occasional Dragonlance; GoT stands among them as one of the best, both in book and television form. Great characters, political intrigue and a hint of fantasy make for one epic story indeed. I'm glad I jumped on this series right away.
  21. May 26, 2011
    Simply amongst the best TV I've ever watched. In one word, Epic. The story, the characters, the drama, the darkness, this show has it all. It might be fantasy which is not to everyones tastes but the world of Westeros is so real and believable. The fact that a lot of this was shot in Northern Ireland makes me so proud. I must point out how dark this is however and my shock some people, for me that's a good thing. It makes Lord Of The Rings feel like its for kids. Real must watch TV. Expand
  22. Apr 17, 2011
    Through one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows they will see this piece of truly grand workmanship. Us geeks envisioned Peter as Tyrion and he truly brought the character to life. Granted he only has a couple of scenes and those scenes run for a mere seconds but they were doozies. Especially the scene with Jon Snow. Of course Ghost was to have tried to take a piece of him but hey you have to lose a few items during the adaption. If you have read the books then this is a winner. Expand
  23. May 22, 2011
    I saw this in a magazine and because it was fantasy, I wasn't really bothered. I took the time to watch it and was amazed by the amount of effort HBO put in. It is as good as, if not better then Band of Brothers, the characters and their actors are amazing and it has a great story. I wouldn't recommend this to children though, its not like Lord of the Rings in any way and is much darker and grittier. The best TV series I have ever seen, truly outstanding work. Expand
  24. Apr 18, 2011
    I went in to premiere night expecting to be disappointed, but in the end my only complaints are things only multiple-read veterans of the book series would notice (or probably care about.) I guess it means HBO did a hell of a job here, if all I can throw out there is that I missed Arya getting mocked for her needlework, Jon sitting in the great hall during the feast and feeding his wolf under the table, or Dany finally telling Drogo "Yes" after his many No's. And Lord knows we can't always have everything, especially with a time limit involved.

Well done to everyone involved. If the pilot was this well done, we can all relax and safely expect the rest of the series to be gripping and wildly entertaining.
  25. Apr 18, 2011
    No one wants a long review but this show is capturing the series perfectly and there is a lot to look forward to. For anyone who is worried about it being cliche, one thing that this series does well is by having a cliche set up unfold in a very non cliche way.
  26. May 22, 2011
    I loved the books, and at first I thought the show wasn't living up to its potential.

By the second episode I was hooked though, and it just gets better each episode. Even if I do remember what is coming the show still amazes.
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    Deep, noir, more alternatively historical then traditionally fantasy tv-show. Acting is just brilliant. Especially young Arja and Tyrion are exact match. Great job HBO!
  28. May 24, 2011
    Having seen six episodes so far, and being a huge fan of the books, I can happily say that this is the best fantasy series ever to appear on television, as well as a very faithful and excellent adaptation of the books. The acting is top notch, with stand-out performances by Sean Bean as Eddard Stark, and Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. My personal favorite among the cast is Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. The sets, costumes, and locations they use are all well designed and compliment the story. The music is good enough, but the only memorable tune I've heard so far is the opening theme (which is fantastic). If you go into Game of Thrones expecting typical fantasy fair (such as monsters and wizards) you will find a much different and 'realistic' take on a fantasy setting. Instead of spells and goblins you will find a gritty, politically charged world filled with intrigue and numerous compelling characters. This is a show everyone must see, regardless of whether or not you like fantasy. So far this is the best new TV show of the year, and as long as the next episodes and seasons remain high quality, it will be one of the best shows ever created. Expand
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    The show seems to be following the books quite closely, which is mostly good, however there where some parts that probably should have been cut from a tv adaptation. I'll keep watching this as long as they don't deviate significantly from the books. marquis_de_vaux - my advice is to not worry about the direction you think the show will go the plot should be incredible if you have the mind to follow what is happening and can keep the characters straight. Expand
  30. Feb 18, 2012
    This is an exceptional series that puts its sizeable budget to good use by convincingly creating a unique fantasy world. The story, the writing, the acting; they are all consistently excellent. The ensemble cast give great performances which is essential in any show that features a fantasy world. We need to be sold on it by the genuine nature of its inhabitants. The story feels epic in scope by focusing on different characters and areas. The show always has new tricks up its sleeve to keep viewers hooked and I can't wait for the new season. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.