• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 17, 2011
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
9.1

1. Apr 21, 2011
    Having not read the books, I was thoroughly surprised by the series and found myself enjoying it so far immensely. The show is good because the original author retains control, a "realistic" element runs strong and the backgrounds and extras are adequately fleshed out. Can't wait for more.
  2. Apr 22, 2011
    I am a HUGE fan of the ASOIAF books and have read them multiple times, so my while my expectations were admittedly low, my hopes were very high. My expectations were very low from having them dashed repeatedly by Hollywood treating epic series merely as potential cash cows and "watering" them down to cater to the unwashed masses (eg. The Legend of the Seeker tv series which was based onI am a HUGE fan of the ASOIAF books and have read them multiple times, so my while my expectations were admittedly low, my hopes were very high. My expectations were very low from having them dashed repeatedly by Hollywood treating epic series merely as potential cash cows and "watering" them down to cater to the unwashed masses (eg. The Legend of the Seeker tv series which was based on "The Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind.) My hopes were high because I really love ASOIAF and wanted something that wouldn't embarrass the books. Let's just say that I was completely blown away by just how accurately this show followed (as of Episode 1) follows the books. It's practically a scene by scene unfolding of the written text onto the tv screen. A lot of care and attention to detail had clearly gone into getting each scene and all the characters outfits and mannerisms as close to the books as possible. Everybody looked great and even little details that were in the books were present in the show, even if not mentioned. The acting was superb, especially by that of the person playing Tyrion, one of my favorite characters. The young and innocent Dany is also played really well. I can't wait until my other favorite, Arya, gets more screen time. Expand
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    The show seems to be following the books quite closely, which is mostly good, however there where some parts that probably should have been cut from a tv adaptation. I'll keep watching this as long as they don't deviate significantly from the books. marquis_de_vaux - my advice is to not worry about the direction you think the show will go the plot should be incredible if you have the mindThe show seems to be following the books quite closely, which is mostly good, however there where some parts that probably should have been cut from a tv adaptation. I'll keep watching this as long as they don't deviate significantly from the books. marquis_de_vaux - my advice is to not worry about the direction you think the show will go the plot should be incredible if you have the mind to follow what is happening and can keep the characters straight. Expand
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    Looked incredible. Very strong cast and an excellent translation from book to screen. A lot of information to take in but it was handled well. The shocking end of the first episode left me desperate to see the next, and all my fears over how good they could make this adaptation have been put aside.
  5. Apr 18, 2011
    As a long time fan of the series, I was very skeptical at first. In the opening scenes I found myself mentally comparing everything to my memory of what I had read. Eventually this comparison gave way to marveling out how smoothly the transition from print to screen had been pulled off. For those of you new to the series, stick with it and you'll see why the books have been soAs a long time fan of the series, I was very skeptical at first. In the opening scenes I found myself mentally comparing everything to my memory of what I had read. Eventually this comparison gave way to marveling out how smoothly the transition from print to screen had been pulled off. For those of you new to the series, stick with it and you'll see why the books have been so successful. I signed up for HBO just to watch this show, and so far I'm not regretting it in the slightest. Expand
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    I loved the premiere episode. Some people seem to have issues with the pace and the jumps between scenes etc and I guess I can understand what they mean but when I watched it I didn't even notice a problem with things like that at all. I think it was a very good adaption of the books. The acting is good throughout and even excellent by many cast members even in smaller roles. I think thatI loved the premiere episode. Some people seem to have issues with the pace and the jumps between scenes etc and I guess I can understand what they mean but when I watched it I didn't even notice a problem with things like that at all. I think it was a very good adaption of the books. The acting is good throughout and even excellent by many cast members even in smaller roles. I think that having read the books puts certain things, that some have taken issue with (like sex and racism), into a perspective where it's not the same problem since you know more about the whole world and how various characters think. Expand
  7. Apr 17, 2011
    Through one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows theyThrough one episode this is a wonderful adaptation. The writers thought thru each line of dialogue giving us the viewer insight into the world of Westeros. The art direction and the production of the show is stellar. Sean Bean as Eddard Stark is amazing in his understated reserve but the true praise goes to Peter Dinklage. If the powers that be were to open their eyes to fantasy shows they will see this piece of truly grand workmanship. Us geeks envisioned Peter as Tyrion and he truly brought the character to life. Granted he only has a couple of scenes and those scenes run for a mere seconds but they were doozies. Especially the scene with Jon Snow. Of course Ghost was to have tried to take a piece of him but hey you have to lose a few items during the adaption. If you have read the books then this is a winner. Expand
  8. Apr 18, 2011
    Well-paced, well-acted, well-shot--this is a piece glorious to behold! The production is beautiful, the dialog economical and exceptionally well-delivered, and it is smart in bringing Martin's writing to screen: the spirit is all there, the grim tone, and even the added scenes created to flesh out the characters and the world feel natural, as if lifted from the novels. That's when you knowWell-paced, well-acted, well-shot--this is a piece glorious to behold! The production is beautiful, the dialog economical and exceptionally well-delivered, and it is smart in bringing Martin's writing to screen: the spirit is all there, the grim tone, and even the added scenes created to flesh out the characters and the world feel natural, as if lifted from the novels. That's when you know the showrunners understand the story and deeply appreciates the complexities. Standouts include Peter Dinklage (Tyrion), Maisie Williams (Arya), Isaac (Bran), Kit Harrington (Jon), Michelle Fairley (Catelyn), Sean Bean (Ned), Harry Lloyd (Viserys), Mark Addy (Robert), and Lena Headey (Cersei). That's quite a big roster of favourites, but therein lies the truth: fans of the novel or not, Game of Thrones is a meaty spectacle with an astounding cast. You can't afford to miss this TV event of the year, folks! Expand
  9. Apr 18, 2011
    No one wants a long review but this show is capturing the series perfectly and there is a lot to look forward to. For anyone who is worried about it being cliche, one thing that this series does well is by having a cliche set up unfold in a very non cliche way.
  10. Apr 18, 2011
    The sprawling epic of George R.R. Martin has been successfully brought to the small screen. Production values equalling that of the previous HBO period drama Rome, the attention to detail is stunning. The casting is done masterfully, finding not only extremely fitting adult actors, but finding amazing new talent for the child and teenage characters. This is one series you'd better not miss.
  11. Apr 18, 2011
    Very good adaptation, faithful to the tone and pace of the original novels. Actors and sets are amazing, it was a long wait but it is really worth it.
  12. Apr 18, 2011
    I never read the books, but I was immediately drawn into the world of GoT. There are a LOT of characters and they all seem complex and interesting. The look to the show is jaw dropping, I felt like I was watching an expensive Hollywood film. I'm also glad it's on HBO, not just because of the violence, nudity, language. But because none of the big networks would have allowed topics likeI never read the books, but I was immediately drawn into the world of GoT. There are a LOT of characters and they all seem complex and interesting. The look to the show is jaw dropping, I felt like I was watching an expensive Hollywood film. I'm also glad it's on HBO, not just because of the violence, nudity, language. But because none of the big networks would have allowed topics like incest to be involved in the storytelling. This is why Network television is crumbling and cable and premium channels are now soaring. Expand
  13. Apr 18, 2011
    I must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, andI must say, it's turning out to be a good spring for TV drama: first "The Borgias," then "The Killing," now "Game of Thrones," all evidence that the medium hasn't entirely disappeared beneath the mire of "reality" or the treacle of pseudo-celebrity *ss-kissing. First edited history, then neo-noir, now medieval-inflected fantasy, all well-cast, intelligently written, powerfully filmed, and brilliantly acted. Of the three, "Game of Thrones" seems to have the most characters and storylines onscreen, even after just the pilot and a few on-demand clips. Unlike some viewers, I did not find the pilot confusing (and, no, I haven't read the novel on which the series is based). Watching it a second time, I picked up a few bits of backstory that I missed the first time through, nothing too important. In fact, I think the series does an astonishing job of establishing and differentiating dozens of characters, conveying a keen sense of place (4 times), and setting up essential conflicts, without making us feel as though we're choking on exposition like the fat king chokes on swan. Yes, there's a "Tudors"-meets-"Spartacus" obsession with bare breasts, chiseled torsos, and just-severed heads dribbling blood (and more rear entry than in a whole season of "Wild Kingdom"), but there's also extremely imaginative design--not just of sets and costumes but of whole cultures, including at least one language. And the cast? I loved Sean Bean's under-utilized Odysseus from "Troy" and have been waiting ever since for him to get a good meaty lead, so I'm thrilled by his weary warlord, Eddard Stark. I can't tell yet about most of the others--there were just too many--though a few stood out. Peter Dinklage has won well-deserved kudos as Tyrion Lannister, the outsider best able to understand the bitter dynastic politics of his age--and to enjoy himself in spite of them. I was also quite impressed with Harry Lloyd, who plays Viserys Targaryen, the deposed heir obsessed with regaining his crown and prepared to barter his sister for the chance. Creepy but with just the right sense of entitlement. I'm looking forward to Sunday nights for the next few months, and I hope that I have enough company to persuade the networks to keep up the excellent work! Expand
  14. Apr 18, 2011
    I went in to premiere night expecting to be disappointed, but in the end my only complaints are things only multiple-read veterans of the book series would notice (or probably care about.) I guess it means HBO did a hell of a job here, if all I can throw out there is that I missed Arya getting mocked for her needlework, Jon sitting in the great hall during the feast and feeding his wolfI went in to premiere night expecting to be disappointed, but in the end my only complaints are things only multiple-read veterans of the book series would notice (or probably care about.) I guess it means HBO did a hell of a job here, if all I can throw out there is that I missed Arya getting mocked for her needlework, Jon sitting in the great hall during the feast and feeding his wolf under the table, or Dany finally telling Drogo "Yes" after his many No's. And Lord knows we can't always have everything, especially with a time limit involved.

Well done to everyone involved. If the pilot was this well done, we can all relax and safely expect the rest of the series to be gripping and wildly entertaining.
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    It's almost as wrong to give the show a 10 after one episode as it is to give it a 0 after one episode, but that's what I'm going to do. Not only because I enjoyed it, but because everyone I watched with (including one person who doesn't like fantasy, and the rest of whom would never read the books) all enjoyed it and got the gist of it. Some characters seem stereotypical, but I'm havingIt's almost as wrong to give the show a 10 after one episode as it is to give it a 0 after one episode, but that's what I'm going to do. Not only because I enjoyed it, but because everyone I watched with (including one person who doesn't like fantasy, and the rest of whom would never read the books) all enjoyed it and got the gist of it. Some characters seem stereotypical, but I'm having difficulty remembering any first episode that wasn't just as cliche. Certainly the first episode of the wire they were just gangbangers, cops, and the cops superiors. Nothing's a bigger cliche than cops arguing with their bosses. And there were some standouts, such as Dinklage, the dwarf (using the modern definition of dwarf) with a chip on his shoulder, Ned as John Wayne, and Harry Lloyd as the manic but spoiled exiled prince. In a usual story, the exiled prince would be the main character, the King Arthur to be that we can't wait to see get the throne. Here, we want to stab him.

There is a lot to take in, but it was less confusing than it could have been. Women have a hard time of it, all the more to see them overcome their station in the future. It feels a bit similar to Mad Men, or even the recent Boardwalk Empire, in this regard. Acting is great, and the dialogue is well written, saying a lot without blabbering on with boring exposition. If you aren't paying attention, you are likely to miss most of the subtext, and the nudity may distract from the story, but it's very much a part of it. It never feels as if the sex is meant to excite you, which may leave people expecting that in the dust.

All in all there were a lot of great scenes, the production design paid off, and the story seems to be heading to interesting places. We'll see how it holds up after a few more episodes. Most reviews say it gets better, which judging from the reactions of my family and friends, means we are in for some seriously fun tv.
  16. Apr 17, 2011
    I signed up for Metacritic just so I could write this review. The first episode is AWESOME! I haven't read the books, so I can''t comment on the adaptation, but this **** is real! I can't wait for the rest of the episodes, new favourite show :)
  17. Apr 18, 2011
    Great job so far! Exposition heavy, as pilots tend to go, but very captivating and extremely promising. Characters seem to just jump off the screen, and the extensive dialogue didn't seem to plod along, as it could have. Looking forward to future episodes, when the story starts really chugging along - plus, can't miss next week after that ending!
  18. Apr 18, 2011
    I had been looking forward to this show for well over a year, reading and watching every little tidbit I could find on-line. Having read and loved the book Game of Thrones is based on, I had high expectations. The show did not disappoint, the first episode was far and away the best hour of television I have ever seen. The characters from the book came to life through the amazingI had been looking forward to this show for well over a year, reading and watching every little tidbit I could find on-line. Having read and loved the book Game of Thrones is based on, I had high expectations. The show did not disappoint, the first episode was far and away the best hour of television I have ever seen. The characters from the book came to life through the amazing performances of the cast. Highlights include Peter Dinklage as Tyrion and Maisie Williams as Arya.

Some initial concerns were raised on adapting such a complex series to the small screen, that it might be difficult for the average viewer to follow. I think those fears may now be laid to rest as it seemed to me that the show was very clear and concise, though I shall leave it to the non-readers to answer this question better.

Regarding the plot, I thought the adaption worked very well in creating a beginning, middle and ending that left you wanting more. I don't want to give away any details so as not to spoil the show for anyone who has yet to watch it. Suffice to say it is well worth taking a look to see if it suits you or not.
  19. Apr 18, 2011
    The pilot episode was fantastic! First off, the acting was superb, and it was nice to see that many fan favorites were cast (sean bean, peter dinklage, charles dance, aidan gillen among others) and some new actors that look like they will make names for themselves in this :D. The show doesn't move very fast, but it's incredibly engrossing, and gives the feel of a true epic the way lord ofThe pilot episode was fantastic! First off, the acting was superb, and it was nice to see that many fan favorites were cast (sean bean, peter dinklage, charles dance, aidan gillen among others) and some new actors that look like they will make names for themselves in this :D. The show doesn't move very fast, but it's incredibly engrossing, and gives the feel of a true epic the way lord of the rings does. So far it has stayed really true to the book, and believe me when I tell you the show will only get better! If they stay the course, I can't even imagine how good this show will be... I'm so excited!!! Expand
  20. Apr 18, 2011
    For those of you who have not read the book, prepare for a wild ride! For those of you who have, this is the as faithful an adaptation as I have seen from book to film (or TV in this case.) Like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Ring" trilogy, this series captures the tone and the emotion of the books perfectly, if not exact scenes and dialogue. With characters and situations as real and asFor those of you who have not read the book, prepare for a wild ride! For those of you who have, this is the as faithful an adaptation as I have seen from book to film (or TV in this case.) Like Peter Jackson's "Lord of the Ring" trilogy, this series captures the tone and the emotion of the books perfectly, if not exact scenes and dialogue. With characters and situations as real and as strong as any other literature genre out there, the slight fantasy found in "Game of Thrones" simply adds suspense and emotion to an already beautiful story. Expand
  21. Apr 18, 2011

Having read my fair share

Having read my fair share of fantasy series in years gone by, in the run-up to the Game of Thrones debut I found myself deeply curious as to what it was that made this series sufficiently distinct as to be worthy of a big-budget TV adaptation. So far, I'm not sure. Cliché abounds in the first episode, from unfunny jokes about fat kings to the awkward acquisition of symbolic familiars, from steroidally-enhanced, woad-daubed barbarians (wearing mascara) to rumblings of trouble 'brewing in the north', there's little to set the subject matter apart from the legion of other fantasy universes out there which readers swear blind to be 'brilliant' but that, to many outsiders of the genre, typically seem a little bit silly.

Clearly a great deal of money has been lavished on the series however, with lots of candles, beautiful haircuts, distinctly cut leather armour and fur-trimmed cloaks aplenty. I do have to query why all this pageantry been assembled though - beyond providing a sort of Hercules: The Legendary Adventures for grown ups. And certainly the pilot boasts symbols of maturity - topless ladies appear every fifteen minutes or so, and brooding men with swords frequently use naughty words - but the whole thing, to me, seemed overbearingly camp and, unfortunately, riddled with adolescent preoccupations. Admittedly, there is serious subject matter here, with baddies engaged in incest and hints at the severe duties involved in courtly life, but I ultimately couldn't believe in the universe that the series-makers had fashioned for me, and as a result felt rather like I was watching people play dress-up rather than an exploration of the genuine issues to which the characters were party. So far then, the next big thing in the current Golden Age of TV this ain't.

I'm not suggesting that fans of the swords and sorcery genre won't enjoy Game of Thrones - I imagine that many will - but I would suggest that few viewers who don't will be won over by this pilots' limited charms. It is refreshing to see Peter Dinklage given a central role in a series, and it's also great to see Joseph Mawle receiving some prime-time exposure, but the cast are hard-pressed to convince while discussing such clangingly unreal topics as orphaned dire wolf pups or their eagerness to sell family members into sex slavery. And on that topic, the pilot's eagerness to see women sexually exploited is, to me, a little worrying, and risks alienating many potential viewers before it's even got going.

Undeniably, creating 'grown up' fantasy series' is a tough business, and Game of Thrones' pilot does seem to hint that there will be more depth to proceedings as things develop, but to put Game of Thrones on a level with other top-tier HBO or AMC output is unthinkable. Even The Walking Dead, the subject matter of which many might have thought beyond the interest of the average viewer, managed to fashion itself into a series that was, for the most part, mature and intriguing. Likewise, Mad Men's debut introduced us to a sexist culture in ways that left viewers reeling, and The Soprano's spent time exploring how counterproductive its characters' regressive views were, encouraging us to look at its characters as incredibly dangerous buffoons, and anything but stereotypes.

In its own pilot however, Game of Thrones fails to show any of this promise, or that, in this post-Gladiator, post-Lord of the Rings world, that 'fantasy' has grown up. Although fans of Sean Bean's work in The Black Death, or such similar efforts as Nicholas Cage's recent The Season of the Witch or Michael J. Bassett's Solomon Kane, might lap up Game of Thrones as a big step forward for the genre, those of us looking for nuance, tension, believability - or even plausibility - in a drama set in an imaginary world full of axes, horses and mud... well, it looks like we're destined to be disappointed by this one.
  22. May 24, 2011
    There is very long time that a series does not attract my attention. Game of Thrones makes me eagerly waiting for the next chapter. Cast, scenario, storyline, everything was incredibly detailed. Probably the best of the year and expect it to win most of television academy honors. The best way to describe the series is that Game of Thrones is where Dungeons & Dragons meets Rome.
  23. May 24, 2011
    This series is really something special. Whether or not you enjoy "fantasy" is irrelevant, if you enjoy a great story, outstanding acting, incredible writing, and very high production values......you will love "Game Of Thrones". Watch a couple of episodes.....I DARE you quit watching!
  24. Jun 21, 2011
    As someone who is a fan of the series written by George R. R. Martin, I was worried if TV could really capture the tension and drama and politics of the books, and my goodness, was I amazed. HBO has perfectly created the fantasy world of "A Song of Fire and Ice". All the actors, sets, props, and locations are perfect and nothing is out of place. While actors like Sean Bean, Mark Addy, andAs someone who is a fan of the series written by George R. R. Martin, I was worried if TV could really capture the tension and drama and politics of the books, and my goodness, was I amazed. HBO has perfectly created the fantasy world of "A Song of Fire and Ice". All the actors, sets, props, and locations are perfect and nothing is out of place. While actors like Sean Bean, Mark Addy, and Michelle Fairley do a bang up job of their characters, the real show stealers are the child actors. Not only does Game of Thrones feature one or two child characters, but several, and all of them are fantastic. If I had one bad thing to say about the show, its probably a little difficult to follow if you haven't read the books at first, but doesn't leave anyone behind in the end. I highly recommend this show to anyone looking for action, adventure, drama, and magic. Expand
  25. Oct 29, 2011
    A testament to the George R.R. Martin series of Books and keeps the viewer begging for more. With tantalizing plot twists and a fantasy background of a society not unlike our own will keep any fan of the books or just about any fan of fantasy glued to their seats. Well produced with regards to their small budget and overall a great cast. A must watch for any person who wishes to beA testament to the George R.R. Martin series of Books and keeps the viewer begging for more. With tantalizing plot twists and a fantasy background of a society not unlike our own will keep any fan of the books or just about any fan of fantasy glued to their seats. Well produced with regards to their small budget and overall a great cast. A must watch for any person who wishes to be enveloped by an increasing story and it's only the first season!!! Expand
  26. Nov 2, 2011
    Simply stunning. This is what you call a tv show worth watching. HBO and Showtime (ok, AMC too) are the only channels where you can find quality programming, the rest is just the rest, dumbed down shows.
  27. May 1, 2011
    Excellent acting and photography.
    Interesting characters, intriguing and addictive story.
    It starts slow, but looks promising.
    I don't like fantasy, but this is one of the very few exceptions.
  28. May 3, 2011
    As Game of Thrones was filmed very close by to where I live, I felt that it would be a great idea to watch this programme. Although the plot is fantastic and in great depth, with a large variety of characters within, the strong use of sexual scenes, violence, nudity and swearing closes this to a large part of the audience. Sean Bean's performance as Edd Stark is very believable, along withAs Game of Thrones was filmed very close by to where I live, I felt that it would be a great idea to watch this programme. Although the plot is fantastic and in great depth, with a large variety of characters within, the strong use of sexual scenes, violence, nudity and swearing closes this to a large part of the audience. Sean Bean's performance as Edd Stark is very believable, along with many of the other characters. Definitely a show worth watching, although slow at the start, I would recommend that you should be over 15 before considering watching this. Expand
  29. May 23, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fantastic Series! The story is simply gripping and it it doesn't separate in good and bad characters, The acting is better with every passing episode. HBO delivers quality yet again! Expand
  30. May 23, 2011
    A great series with fine actors. Depends less on sorcery and special effects and more on the many faults and frailty of human nature. Not afraid to kill off main characters makes it more realistic than most fairy tale, scifi-fantasy shows in TV and Movies. If you want the good guys to win and live happily ever after, this is not the series for you, go watch Twilight or Harry Potter.A great series with fine actors. Depends less on sorcery and special effects and more on the many faults and frailty of human nature. Not afraid to kill off main characters makes it more realistic than most fairy tale, scifi-fantasy shows in TV and Movies. If you want the good guys to win and live happily ever after, this is not the series for you, go watch Twilight or Harry Potter. Makes HBO's. Much better than that high school level crap in True Blood. Hopefully HBO will keep this series and do away with that vampire rubbish. Expand
  31. May 24, 2011
    I have not read the books but I find this series to be very entertaining so far and not a Lord of the rings copy that many will probably write it off as when they first hear/see about it. Several things that make this show stand out for me: believable characters with depth and strong acting, a medieval fantasy world with realism (i.e not riddled with magic and trolls being thrown in yourI have not read the books but I find this series to be very entertaining so far and not a Lord of the rings copy that many will probably write it off as when they first hear/see about it. Several things that make this show stand out for me: believable characters with depth and strong acting, a medieval fantasy world with realism (i.e not riddled with magic and trolls being thrown in your face every second), incredible sets and costumes that doesn't completely rely on CGI (how much money did they spend on this show?!), appropriate use of the HBO trifecta (sex, swearing and blood), engaging dialogue that really develops the plot-line and background lore without feeling overwhelmed by detail. I was expecting a show whose entertainment would mostly come from violent sword clashes instead this is simply added in to help drive a politically intertwined fantasy world filled with complex characters. If you have read this far you should have already stopped and started watching this show already. Expand
  32. May 25, 2011
    So this show is the best show ive ever seen.... The only bad part about it is the fact that i have to wait a week to see the next one :( !!! Looking forward to season two!!
  33. May 26, 2011
    I'm a very big fan of the novels. I find it impossible to do better than what HBO did with ASOIAF on TV. Even if the pace is a buit high compared to the books.

Congratulations guys!
  34. NKM
    May 27, 2011
    Great job! Characters are great, actors are fantastic. Especially kids and Peter Dinklage. Sean Bean is amazing as always. This series is A MUST. Do not miss it.
  35. May 28, 2011
    This show is great. Compare the user rating to the critic rating. Look at the date the critics rated the show. Their ratings are all based off one or maybe two episodes. How can you rate the show off one episode? It's an epic tale with so many parts to it, that one or two shows could never do it justice. The show does stay very true to the books though the way it starts out, I wasThis show is great. Compare the user rating to the critic rating. Look at the date the critics rated the show. Their ratings are all based off one or maybe two episodes. How can you rate the show off one episode? It's an epic tale with so many parts to it, that one or two shows could never do it justice. The show does stay very true to the books though the way it starts out, I was impressed. Just realize this series is not for the faint of heart. Expand
  36. May 30, 2011
    Amazin adaptation of the book, the actors are great ande story too. Maybe a little more action could be better, but its ok.

You must watch the show, and enjoy it.
  37. May 30, 2011
    A spectacular presentation of a spectacular fantasy series. The production values are outstanding, the characters richly drawn, and the caste, though largely no names, is terrific.
  38. Jun 1, 2011
    This show blows my mind with each episode. There is a lot going on, plot threads and character development, but it is perfectly put together. Great cast, excellent direction. Not sure I can wait a year for season 2 once season 1 finishes, sadly I have no choice. This series shows that treating the audience as intelligence adults can produce a thought provoking and entertaining program.
  39. Jun 6, 2011
    An epic achievement!! HBO's game of thrones is transitioned flawlessly straight from Martin's books. Game of Thrones is an excellent Drama existing in a historically rich, gritty world with 3 dimensional characters who live and die in shades of gray.
  40. Jun 9, 2011
    I'm completely hooked on this show. The first few episodes were dense with new character introduction and a touch slow which may throw a few people off early on, but now that its into full swing I'm chomping at the bit every week to watch it.

The acting is great across the board, but the real standout of the show is Peter Dinklage. He does a brilliant job of creating a genuinely complex and real character that you can't help but like.

I recommend it to anyone who likes a real meaty bite of episodic television.
  41. Jun 13, 2011
    This is a great show and that is all one really needs to write about it. One could go down into 101 little things that one might not like, but why? Itâ
  42. Jun 14, 2011
    Finally a good book adaption that is very well done. Sean Bean is amazing in his adaption of Eddard Stark, although Peter Dinklage, playing Tyrion Lannister, deserves even the same acknowledgement.
  43. Jun 14, 2011
    I read the book a while ago and didn't really remember all aspects of the story. I re-read it after the first episode on HBO and was amazed at how true the adaptation was to the book! Great scripting, awesome production and amazing acting lead to excellent execution of creating a tv series for the ages. Keep it up HBO! Thanks for having the guts to stick to the book's storyline andI read the book a while ago and didn't really remember all aspects of the story. I re-read it after the first episode on HBO and was amazed at how true the adaptation was to the book! Great scripting, awesome production and amazing acting lead to excellent execution of creating a tv series for the ages. Keep it up HBO! Thanks for having the guts to stick to the book's storyline and capturing the essence of Martin's writing. Expand
  44. Jun 15, 2011
    Great show based on even greater books. By no means is it perfect, but it is quite faithful to the books while still taking liberty to introduce some great new scenes. I have high hopes for the second season to be a great success, and hopefully they will introduce more main characters to kill off in the process.
  45. Jun 15, 2011
    First off I have not read the books. After watching A Game of Thrones I will most definatly will be buying the entire series, what has been released, and will be marking off the calender so I can read through them as fast as I can. Personally this the only TV show that I enjoy watching. If HBO cancels the season, like so many of my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy seasons have been, they will beFirst off I have not read the books. After watching A Game of Thrones I will most definatly will be buying the entire series, what has been released, and will be marking off the calender so I can read through them as fast as I can. Personally this the only TV show that I enjoy watching. If HBO cancels the season, like so many of my favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy seasons have been, they will be going on my black list, like the scify channel and fox. I see that a lot of users are complaining about the production and plot progression. Just saying that for myself it is entertaining and that is what it all boils down to. Are you entertained? Expand
  46. Jun 15, 2011
    Quando saiu o filme SENHOR DOS ANEIS, a primeira coisa que me veio a cabeça qdo terminei de ver o filme no cinema foi: pq não fizeram uma serie ao invez de um filme? Com a GAME OF THRONES, a coisa começou no caminho certo! Mesmo que pareçam poucos epsódios para uma série, mas devemos lembrar que cadaQuando saiu o filme SENHOR DOS ANEIS, a primeira coisa que me veio a cabeça qdo terminei de ver o filme no cinema foi: pq não fizeram uma serie ao invez de um filme? Com a GAME OF THRONES, a coisa começou no caminho certo! Mesmo que pareçam poucos epsódios para uma série, mas devemos lembrar que cada epsódio tem aproximadamente 1 hora de duração. Está muito bem trabalhado, muito bem adaptado e a produção para essa primeira temporada, foi ótima. Espero que continue assim pra melhor, pois a proxima temporada irá exigir mais da produção. Expand
  47. Jun 16, 2011
    Personally i think this is the best TV series i have ever seen. Although it is based on a series of fantasy books it has a certain realism and such a great medieval-like setting that you dont even see on big budget movies. If you haven't read the books like myself, there will be a few references that you may not understand at the beginning. Nothing major though. As the episodes go by youPersonally i think this is the best TV series i have ever seen. Although it is based on a series of fantasy books it has a certain realism and such a great medieval-like setting that you dont even see on big budget movies. If you haven't read the books like myself, there will be a few references that you may not understand at the beginning. Nothing major though. As the episodes go by you get the hang of everything. Till you reach episode 4 you get into the plot and see how things work. On top of everything, there is some top notch acting in it. I recommend it to everyone. Expand
  48. Jun 17, 2011
    Hands down one the best television shows I have ever seen. Everything from the casting, to the acting, to the directing is of the highest caliber. Although I had never read the books or even heard about them before watching this series, I must say that the author r.r. Martin has woven an epic myth that shines a light on the many facets of the human condition. A modern masterpiece. TheHands down one the best television shows I have ever seen. Everything from the casting, to the acting, to the directing is of the highest caliber. Although I had never read the books or even heard about them before watching this series, I must say that the author r.r. Martin has woven an epic myth that shines a light on the many facets of the human condition. A modern masterpiece. The only thing I don't like about the show is that I am now going to have to wait many month for the next season to begin. Truly brilliant! Expand
  49. Jun 18, 2011
    One of the top fantasy series ever made. The small amount of actual "fantasy" used in the plot should make it easy for non fantasy viewers to get hooked as well.

Full of great actors and a writing team of true Martin fans make me sure this will be a long runner.
  50. Jun 18, 2011
    While not a perfect adaption of the books (Some bits that will be important in later seasons were skipped over for the sake of time) it's pretty damn close. HBOs hand is a bit ever-present with the addition of gratuities not really necessary to the story, but they serve well enough. Overall it's a fairly strong adaption of one of the best book series of all time, making it automaticallyWhile not a perfect adaption of the books (Some bits that will be important in later seasons were skipped over for the sake of time) it's pretty damn close. HBOs hand is a bit ever-present with the addition of gratuities not really necessary to the story, but they serve well enough. Overall it's a fairly strong adaption of one of the best book series of all time, making it automatically heads and shoulders above most things on TV. The biggest advantage this show has is also it's biggest problem for drawing in the viewers, however. It is merciless to it's characters. Whatever should happen in a situation does, no matter the consequences to characters the viewers/readers have come to appreciate. I think this is a strong mark of artistic integrity, but ultimately is largely responsible for a lot of the negative reviews you see, simply because some people are too thick to recognize the quality bucking of a trope that ultimately results in a work of pure genius. Expand
  51. Jun 20, 2011
    Some of these negative 0 score reviews are hilarious, who watches an entire season of something if they think it's crap. Either they're masochists or have some vendetta against the show, which is pretty good by the way.
  52. Jun 20, 2011
    I haven't read the books and maybe that's good. I enjoyed this show and it had very interesting characters and a great storyline. It didn't feel like something epic, however and it never gave me an orgasm, so to speak, it just always came close but never delivered.
  53. Jun 21, 2011
    Given how the book adaptations on screen rarely do justice to the books, and as a huge fan of the books, I must admit that this is possibly the first tv show made from books that is actually superb and does justice to the books (although it is impossible for it to be complete). I love the series, and it is enough to look at the cast to remember that those are the faces that we wereGiven how the book adaptations on screen rarely do justice to the books, and as a huge fan of the books, I must admit that this is possibly the first tv show made from books that is actually superb and does justice to the books (although it is impossible for it to be complete). I love the series, and it is enough to look at the cast to remember that those are the faces that we were picturing while we read the books. The creators and Mr. Martin went that far, yes. Awesome awesome series, maybe even the best and most realistic ever even though it is "fantasy". Expand
  54. Jun 21, 2011
    As a long fan of the books, I had a clear vision of Ned Stark. Obviously, Sean Bean who usually plays a morally weak character shattered that image. I think I gave him a fair chance to fill Ned's shoes yet I have to sadly admit (against the grain it seems) he was so miscast being quite unfamiliar with the landscape of a fully fleshed character carrying Ned Stark's demeanor (lookingAs a long fan of the books, I had a clear vision of Ned Stark. Obviously, Sean Bean who usually plays a morally weak character shattered that image. I think I gave him a fair chance to fill Ned's shoes yet I have to sadly admit (against the grain it seems) he was so miscast being quite unfamiliar with the landscape of a fully fleshed character carrying Ned Stark's demeanor (looking downcast throughout the season and mumbling often does not do Lord Stark justice), and for the fact that he aging badly (you call it hitting the wall). I realize Sean Bean was a vehicle for the show's ratings and for that many if not all benefit. It was an unfortunate necessary sacrifice of the main character of the first season. Expand
  55. Jun 21, 2011
  56. Jun 21, 2011
    Edit: score changed to 10. Coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't read George R. R. Martin's novels, but who is a massive fan of high-quality TV drama, I have to confess that, for me, Game of Thrones started in an underwhelming way. Not only that, it shows many worrying signs of being a bit of a stinker, in spite of the effort put into its undoubtedly fancy production design.
  57. Jun 21, 2011
    I wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybeI wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. Expand
  58. Jun 21, 2011
    People who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. To sum up the eventual train wreck of a plot, the very first episode commits a number of fatal mistakes which brings down GRRM's storyPeople who haven't read the books will probably find this show average, maybe even watchable. To fans, however this show is an appalling mess of the worst parts of the book, missed plot points, bad character development, bad acting and forced action. To sum up the eventual train wreck of a plot, the very first episode commits a number of fatal mistakes which brings down GRRM's story tumbling down like a pack of cards. I wanted to see everything i'd imagined from the books in technicolor glory, but so far it's been disappointing. This show is a dispicable representation of its source material. I guess I had too high expectations for the series. I know they had to omit stuff which is acceptable, but they changed things also. Expand
  59. Jun 21, 2011
  60. Jun 21, 2011
  61. Jun 21, 2011
    I have never read the books and I make no plan to read the books. That being said this is one of the best first seasons of a TV show I have ever seen. I considered the Walking Dead season 1 to be the best 1st season i'd ever seen until this show came out and I believe fans of that series will defiantly enjoy this show.
  62. Jun 21, 2011
    After two or three episodes of jolting twists and betrayals, the first season of HBO's Game of Thrones came to a (mostly) subdued close last night with dozens of plot threads still left hanging. But you can't really fault the show for that; the season ended almost exactly as the first novel did, covering almost exactly what the novel covered. It is in fact such a faithful adaptation of theAfter two or three episodes of jolting twists and betrayals, the first season of HBO's Game of Thrones came to a (mostly) subdued close last night with dozens of plot threads still left hanging. But you can't really fault the show for that; the season ended almost exactly as the first novel did, covering almost exactly what the novel covered. It is in fact such a faithful adaptation of the books, that long-time fans of George R.R. Martin's series will always know exactly what's going to happen next. For those who haven't read the novels, however, Game of Thrones serves as an excellent introduction to this compelling historical fantasy.

See my full review here: http://boredomsadvocate.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-game-of-thrones-season-1.html
  63. Jun 21, 2011
    Just finished watching the first season, and it is without a doubt brilliant. Watching the show lead to my reading the book a few steps behind, and watching it with several loyal fans of the book, we were all impressed.
  64. Jun 22, 2011
    I haven't read the books and skimmed the show. That might be a good thing, or at least interesting to fans to know there are people who haven't read the books actually watched the show. I skimmed over it, all episodes. I mean I did get clues (spoilers) from the internet but only a few. And I have to say, that although I kinda knew what was going to happen, I was still alkmost shocked whenI haven't read the books and skimmed the show. That might be a good thing, or at least interesting to fans to know there are people who haven't read the books actually watched the show. I skimmed over it, all episodes. I mean I did get clues (spoilers) from the internet but only a few. And I have to say, that although I kinda knew what was going to happen, I was still alkmost shocked when I fast forwarded to the beheading scene (there are several). I truly seriously enjoyed this show and it had really very very interesting characters and a no-joke amazing, great, like 'wowzers' great, storyline. Having said that, it didn't feel like something that I could 'die watching', and it never made me jump in the air shouting hurray, per se, but it became so so so so sooooooo close that I got up from the couch and and I put my jumpin' shoes on and I did almost kill myself a few times whenever that actress played Dany spoke. But instead I went to get more pie and ice cream and cookies. Expand
  65. Jun 22, 2011
    EFFIN' WOW!! I couldn't get enough, CANNOT get enough. I can't wait to get blueray and all manners of shwag to promote the show!!!!! Buy everything, so that they can get better dragons next year!! This Game of Thrones is BARNONE the best original TV series pushing the limits of realism, grittycism, and imagery (nudes). The best, goriest, nakedest, most original series since Sporanos. InEFFIN' WOW!! I couldn't get enough, CANNOT get enough. I can't wait to get blueray and all manners of shwag to promote the show!!!!! Buy everything, so that they can get better dragons next year!! This Game of Thrones is BARNONE the best original TV series pushing the limits of realism, grittycism, and imagery (nudes). The best, goriest, nakedest, most original series since Sporanos. In fact, the best series to come along since maybe the Golden Age of Television. Game of Thrones is superb in every way, especially the superb finale which during every second was so incredibly sublime. The series started slowly, like a book going slowly and where there are many words you have to read. But then it sped up, faster and faster and faster to a ridiculous fast speed by the end, and the climactic ending was like fireworks green and red and explosions kaboom in the sky. Baboom! Without a shadow of a doubt the best new series to hit tv in the last decade. I daresay perhaps two decade. Effing wow, man. Expand
  66. Jun 22, 2011
    I was sceptical at first if a fantasy tv show would be the right thing to watch. I had seen many bad examples in my childhood, like xena,... . but soon after starting to watch, the show had my full attention. the show has everything from bloodbath to zombies to sex. can't wait to see the next season.
  67. Jun 27, 2011
    I have read the book and been a captive of the series since 1987, I'm pleased to see the the characters fleshed out before me on screen. My one complaint is that 1 hour doesn't seem long enough. Although the characters and some scenes are different then how I envisioned them GRRM involvement in the project alleviates any issues I may have. Bravo
  68. Jun 27, 2011
    I have read the books. This is an excellent adaptation. I have been dissapointed by adaptations of some of my favorite book series in the past (sword of truth, Eragon). This started a bit slow, but then so did the books, and there was a lot of explaining to do because Martins world is so complex. It is one reason I was looking forward to this show but did not expect it to do the booksI have read the books. This is an excellent adaptation. I have been dissapointed by adaptations of some of my favorite book series in the past (sword of truth, Eragon). This started a bit slow, but then so did the books, and there was a lot of explaining to do because Martins world is so complex. It is one reason I was looking forward to this show but did not expect it to do the books justice because he has so many vibrant characters. This show though, is very very good. None of my friends have the read the books, but I have watched it through with 9 different people in 3 different groups, they all love it. I am so glad they killed Ned Stark, he was pitch perfect but I was afraid they would wimp out and keep him alive, but the writers did the right thing and stayed true to the books. I am going to have trouble waiting for season two. Expand
  69. Jun 28, 2011
    I have read the books and I have seen the show. I am here to report good news, that the show is good. The actors are good. The story is good. The sets are good. HMmm. Well, it's good, there you have it. It's not just a show for fantasy fans, also for normal people. I liked it and I am a girl. HBO is so great. I want to buy Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray. And T-Shirts. Also people whoI have read the books and I have seen the show. I am here to report good news, that the show is good. The actors are good. The story is good. The sets are good. HMmm. Well, it's good, there you have it. It's not just a show for fantasy fans, also for normal people. I liked it and I am a girl. HBO is so great. I want to buy Game of Thrones on DVD and Blu-Ray. And T-Shirts. Also people who didn't like it are trolls, you should ignore them. Expand
  70. Jun 30, 2011
    An enthralling new series from HBO that had me on the edge of my seat literally every episode. With betrayal, deception & violence running wild in Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, there's lots of characters to follow who are all interlinked and wish to seize the Iron Throne in their own unique way. I never read the books prior to watching the first season but on the basis of this fantastic newAn enthralling new series from HBO that had me on the edge of my seat literally every episode. With betrayal, deception & violence running wild in Seven Kingdoms of Westeros, there's lots of characters to follow who are all interlinked and wish to seize the Iron Throne in their own unique way. I never read the books prior to watching the first season but on the basis of this fantastic new show, I shall be purchasing them all to read ahead! Already one of HBO's finest works since the Sopranos. Expand
  71. Jun 30, 2011
    Game of Thrones has the optimal mix of suspense, drama, and action. Perfectly executed screen play and brilliant writing constantly leaves you begging for more.
  72. Mae
    Jul 1, 2011
    I'm tired of people saying this is the best show since Sopranos. This show is so much better than Sopranos. Sopranos was super weak. Half of that show was talking to a shrink the other half was in a topless bar. Game of THrones is so much better than that. It has castles and dragons. There's this scene where the knight chops his own horse's head off with a sword!! Game of Thrones it drawsI'm tired of people saying this is the best show since Sopranos. This show is so much better than Sopranos. Sopranos was super weak. Half of that show was talking to a shrink the other half was in a topless bar. Game of THrones is so much better than that. It has castles and dragons. There's this scene where the knight chops his own horse's head off with a sword!! Game of Thrones it draws you in and then it makes you care about the people a lot. Except Sean Bean lollllll Expand
  73. Jul 3, 2011
    An admirable visual rendition of the books. It's about as good as it gets on a conversion to the tv screen. The characters retain their depth and the plot is well and alive in the show. It's not something that is not common place on television in the 21st century. The real attraction of the show comes in the fact that it actually draws you in, so that someone that knows nothing of theAn admirable visual rendition of the books. It's about as good as it gets on a conversion to the tv screen. The characters retain their depth and the plot is well and alive in the show. It's not something that is not common place on television in the 21st century. The real attraction of the show comes in the fact that it actually draws you in, so that someone that knows nothing of the original IP really wants to keep watching. The quality of the show is indicated in the ever increasing numbers Game of Thrones saw as it progressed. I hope that the show can be as good in the second season as it was in the first, and that it will progress through the excellent novels that George R. R. Martin tenders to us. Expand
  74. Jul 5, 2011
    I've read all the books of the "Songs of Ice and Fire" series, and it's one of those stories that you're reading and get to a point and yell and throw the book across the room, angry about what the author did. But that's part of it's charm as well. The series stuck very close to the book, and even explained some things that I could never understand from the novels. If you're looking forI've read all the books of the "Songs of Ice and Fire" series, and it's one of those stories that you're reading and get to a point and yell and throw the book across the room, angry about what the author did. But that's part of it's charm as well. The series stuck very close to the book, and even explained some things that I could never understand from the novels. If you're looking for a great story, with great characters and unexpected twists, you need to check out this show. Expand
  75. Jul 5, 2011
    This HBO show really did it for me. It filled a whole in my heart that was created there by another TV show that was cancelled. Now I am happy again, and I can keep my chin high. I look forward to the sun rising. I sleep better. And I have excellent health. Thank you HBO!
  76. Jul 8, 2011
    The pilot episode alone had me hooked on this series, and got me into reading the novels despite not having had time to read a good book for years. The TV show is quite true to the novels, changing some parts slightly and removing some arcs of the storyline in order to make it progress faster or to show more skin (it is HBO after all). While it is a shame that the overall length of theThe pilot episode alone had me hooked on this series, and got me into reading the novels despite not having had time to read a good book for years. The TV show is quite true to the novels, changing some parts slightly and removing some arcs of the storyline in order to make it progress faster or to show more skin (it is HBO after all). While it is a shame that the overall length of the first season is made shorter by the adaption, it certainly makes for better television. Of course, having a good script isn't everything; the acting is splendid and the outdoor shots are very well done. Expand
  77. Jul 9, 2011
    Casting is dead on, production value is high, and the writers have a great knack for identifying the dramatic moments of the book and building episodes around it.

Downside: the series moves too quickly to really understand the motivations and background of all the many characters. My hope is that season 2 only covers part of the second book, so we have the time to really comprehend why the characters do what they do.

This is a strong series and probably the best thing on HBO with Entourage winding down. Possibly the best thing on TV period.
  78. Jul 10, 2011
    Fantastic show. I love the story and the action being taken placed and gotta give a big thanks to HBO. They do make fantastic shows like band of brothers. I hope they get a larger budget so that season 2 will get some battle going on. I wish there were in season 1 and such.
  79. Jul 11, 2011
    Speaking for myself I love the show buckets. I have not read the books and I love the show buckets. I have not read the books and I love the show buckets. The show is fantastic! I didn't know it was possible to make a tv show so good. It's incredible. I have died and gone to heaven. This show is so great, I watch it over and over again, reruns and all. I love this show buckets.
  80. Jul 13, 2011
    I just watched the last episode. Two ending episodes was a roller-coaster of emotions. I was hooked from the first episode to the last, and now i am hungry for more. At the moment it feels too hard to wait the season 2. I truly can`t recommend this show enough. One of the best, all-time, for me! Great cast, awesome story, cruel game of thrones.
  81. Jul 22, 2011
    Definitely one of HBO best series. Incredible plot with terrific acting. A lot happens in each episode. The show has a lot of gore and has a complicated plot (if you haven't read the book), because there are so many different characters. Sometimes I had to read recaps to understand some of the details in the beginning, but this is a show worth sticking with.
  82. Jul 23, 2011
    Hadn't even heard of the books, but when I saw Sean Bean was in it I thought I'd give it a watch (Sky Atlantic HD is such a great channel). I was hooked from the start, great characters and storyline, I find it a little odd that all the characters sound like they could be my neighbours even though its an American programme, but I'll get over it, can't wait for the next series!
  83. Aug 6, 2011
    Disclaimer: I've been a fan of the novels for years.

HBO's "Game of Thrones" is a medium fantasy epic focused upon the interactions, relationships, and political intrigues of the upper echelons of the nobility of the kingdom of Westeros, particularly the Starks, Lannistesr, Baratheons, and Targaryens. Now, the the review itself. The show's greatest strength is the strong performances of
    Disclaimer: I've been a fan of the novels for years.

Now, the the review itself. The show's greatest strength is the strong performances of its leads. In particular, Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister and Sean Bean as Eddard Stark both provide stellar performances every episode without fail. Also, Maisle Williams as Arya Stark gives a performance that is on par with Dakota Fanning's better moment. The characters all feel very real and human, with no pure angels or demons. Furthermore, it is probably the best adaptation of a fantasy series to date, staying closer to the spirit of the books while altering the presentation to fit the new medium than either the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter films. The costuming and make-up are top notch, and the action scenes are realistically choreographed and expertly filmed.

It is not perfect, though. Notably, the dense plot and world building fill the first few episodes with expository dialog. Several sex scenes are extraneous and distract from the plot. The external shots of the Dothraki don't feature enough extras and make the khalasar feel small. A few plot points were given foreshadowing that should have been much more subtle.

All said, if you enjoy complex tales of intrigue, revenge, sex, and war, you should give this show a try. Even if you don't normally like fantasy, the strong performances and terrific aesthetics will likely make you want to continue watching. One major caveat is that this is certainly not a show that is appropriate for children, the prudish, or the squeamish. For adults that desire entertainment with realistic characters, complex plots, and intellectually engaging themes, this is certainly a very strong contender.

Finally, some background on the setting and plot. The seasons of the world portrayed last for years. Years of spring and summer, filled with beautiful weather and bountiful harvests, followed by years of fall and winter, when famine reigns and the ground is shrouded in near constant darkness and buried beneath 40' of snow. The continent of Westeros (about the same size as South America) is bordered to the south and west by huge oceans, to the north by a 700'x30'x1000 mile wall of ice (called The Wall), and is separated from the eastern, Asia-sized continent of Essos by a narrow sea. Backstory: Westeros was once comprised of many independent kingdoms that were founded by the First Men, who worship nameless nature gods at huge white trees into which they carve faces. Subsequent migrations from the east saw the kingdoms of the First Men conquered by invaders, with the sole exception of the North. First came the Andals, who fled the expansion of the Rhoynar empire, and whose worship of the Seven bears strong resemblance to medieval Catholicism. Then the Rhoynar settled southern Westeros (Dorne) to escape the expansion of the Valyrian Freehold. Meanwhile, Valyria controlled dragons and used them to conquer Essos. Then Valyria collapsed in a cataclysm. The western regions of Essos were divided among 9 city-states (the Free Cities) that were former Valyrian colonies (think Renaissance Italy). The grasslands of central Essos became controlled by the Dothraki tribes (think Mongols). In the narrow sea between the two continent is the island of Dragonstone, which was a Valyrian colony lead by the Targaryens. After Valyria collapsed, they had the last three living dragons in the world, and use them to conquer Westeros.

The realms of Westeros and their lords, now vassals of House Targaryen from the Iron Throne in the city of King's Landing : The Northlands, lead by House Stark from Winterfell; The Riverlands, lead by House Tully from Riverrun; The Vale of Arryn, lead by House Arryn from the Eyrie; The Stormlands, lead by House Baratheon (founded by an illegitimate son of Aegon Targaryen) from Storm's End; The Reach, ruled by House Tyrell from Highgarden; The Iron Islands, ruled by House Greyjoy from Pike; and Dorne, ruled by House Martell of Sunspear. 15 years before the show, the Targaryens were deposed in a rebellion lead by Robert Baratheon, Eddard Stark, and Jon Arryn. The two remaining Targaryens (both children) fled to the Free Cities. Robert was crowned king and married Cersei Lannister, Jon Arryn became Hand of the King (basically prime minister), and Eddard went back to Winterfell. The show begins just after Jon Arryn dies amid suspicious circumstances and King Robert is coming north with his family and entourage to ask Eddard to serve as his new Hand, amidst the plots and intrigues of the court. Meanwhile, Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen plot to retake the throne. And north of the wall is a dangerous supernatural threat that nobody is prepared to face.
  84. Aug 16, 2011
    I think if you are going to evaluate this show, you should see the first entire season. This is because the long-term story arc is one of its strengths. Unlike a lot of other dramas these days (Mad Men, I'm looking at you), which often feel to me like the writers are making the story up as they go along, especially after the first episode, Game of Thrones feels as if there is a coherentI think if you are going to evaluate this show, you should see the first entire season. This is because the long-term story arc is one of its strengths. Unlike a lot of other dramas these days (Mad Men, I'm looking at you), which often feel to me like the writers are making the story up as they go along, especially after the first episode, Game of Thrones feels as if there is a coherent linear plot-progression from episode to episode. This may be because it is based on a series of books. Whatever the reason, I like that there is a consistency and logical continuity to the series, and the plot twists and turns are smart and clever, not random and insulting, and you will often be genuinely shocked at the surprises. Another strength of this show is the acting. Much has been said of the actor who plays The Imp, and he is indeed a highlight of the show. But all of the acting is quite good. I give it a 9 and not a 10 because there are a few things I don't like about the show, although they are minor and admittedly, might be peculiar to me and my tastes. One is that this is a VERY dark show. Now, I don't mind dark, but this is show will leave even the most jaded cynic a bit put off. Characters vary here from, at best, flawed, to, at worst, sociopathically black-hearted, with the latter outnumbering the former by a heavy margin. For this reason, the show can be a bit heavy if you are not in a particularly depressed mood that day. Also, again, I am no shrinking violet, but this show sets new benchmarks (high or low is a matter of taste) in violence and nudity. In this way, I may be showing my age, but I do lament the passing of the days when severed heads were just shown in silhouette, and sex could be suggested by a fade out during a kiss. Now, we have to see the bloody head held up, blood and dangling tendons and all. However, this is still an engrossing show that I am thoroughly addicted to. Expand
  85. Sep 27, 2011
    A smart, well acted show that offers the viewer just about everything that he/she could ever want. Captivating story, beautiful cinematography, loads of 3 dimensional characters makes for one of the best shows on tv.
  86. Oct 3, 2011
    Game of Thrones is a epic and shear awesome show. The Best of its kind in my opinion. Sean Bean is such a good actor. Game of Thrones simply has it all Action, Drama, Romance, Grasping dialogue, interesting characters and a great plot. I really look forward to the 2nd season.
  87. Oct 25, 2011
    The brilliant first season of Game of Thrones turns out to be a very well-crafted adaptation of Martin's epic first novel in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. The cast is both talented and suited to their roles, and the twists and turns of the convoluted story should keep viewers spellbound.
  88. Nov 10, 2011
    If you are a fan of fantasy, knights, swords, kings, and dragons, this is the show for you. If you are not...well, you will be after watching (and reading) this story/show.
  89. Mar 12, 2012
    A nearly flawless adaptation of the amazing first book in the series. The cast was chosen with great care. The story was told with precision. The results were fantastic.
  90. Mar 15, 2012
    This show is absolutely amazing. I never read the novels it is based on. I was hooked after watching the 1st episode.

Best TV shows:

- Game Of Thrones
    - Breaking Bad
    - Walking Dead
  91. Mar 24, 2012
    I honestly dOnt understand the hype this series gets. I found myself looking away every ten minutes because things got to confusing. After I got past the first five episodes I found myself enjoying it more. But I know one thing, I won't be back for season 2.
  92. May 30, 2012
    This was a really well written season. I was hooked right from the start. Excellent cast and intriguing story lines. The only flaw with the show is that it is too short. This is more noticeable in the second season where too many things are going on at once. This show either needs more episodes or to have lengthier episodes.
  93. Jun 2, 2012
    Recently I finally watched this series after being told repeatedly of how amazing it was, and I have to say I agree. I don't think I've ever seen such amazing production design for a television show, allowing the world of Westeros to feel very real and authentic. The cast is superb as well. Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are the standouts in Season 1, but the whole cast does a good job ofRecently I finally watched this series after being told repeatedly of how amazing it was, and I have to say I agree. I don't think I've ever seen such amazing production design for a television show, allowing the world of Westeros to feel very real and authentic. The cast is superb as well. Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage are the standouts in Season 1, but the whole cast does a good job of embodying their characters. Furthermore, the plot of the series is completely engaging, I found it hard to tear myself away from the screen. In fact I finished the first Season in just three days because I just couldn't stop watching. If you're a fan of medieval history or fantasy than this is definitely a show that you should watch. Expand
  94. Jun 27, 2012
    Game of Thrones is an absolute treat! Everything about this show is marvelous. The first episode of the first season only was able to get my attention and interest me in watching the whole season. There is no doubt about acting or the brilliance of cinematography and when you watch it, you can tell that a lot of money has been spent on making this show look even more than great.
  95. Jul 14, 2012
    the worst part about this show is that i have to wait a week in between episodes. i haven't read the books, so i enjoy the show quite a bit

i'm intrigued about what's going to happen
  96. Jul 15, 2012
    There are some changes between the books and the show, but they are mostly due to either cost or background. Sometimes they add a scene to show things that were implied in the books indirectly. Sometimes, they take a scene away due to time or the aforementioned costs. All of that said, the show is dark and wonderful, and it tells a tale not unlike the books. My only complaint isThere are some changes between the books and the show, but they are mostly due to either cost or background. Sometimes they add a scene to show things that were implied in the books indirectly. Sometimes, they take a scene away due to time or the aforementioned costs. All of that said, the show is dark and wonderful, and it tells a tale not unlike the books. My only complaint is that Renly never ate the peach! Expand
  97. Sep 22, 2012
    This is one of my favorite shows/movies that I've ever seen. I was doubtful to watch it because I thought that it wasn
  98. Nov 20, 2012
    The best show ever! The sopranos has been demoted to second best show ever in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  99. Dec 8, 2012
    It completely blew me away. I was hooked through to the end, and couldn't wait for the next season, and bought the next volume and read through it, and the next until there were none. This is one of those adaptations where you cannot complain. The show did what was essential to bring the book alive on TV. Apart from a few elements (which I would not spoil here), this is a show rooted inIt completely blew me away. I was hooked through to the end, and couldn't wait for the next season, and bought the next volume and read through it, and the next until there were none. This is one of those adaptations where you cannot complain. The show did what was essential to bring the book alive on TV. Apart from a few elements (which I would not spoil here), this is a show rooted in reality, as much as it could be for a fantasy. What I mean is that magic plays a very little part and does not serve as a plot device. The show has some truly amazing characters. The last time I saw a show that comes even close to handling so many characters so well was Lost.

My advice, though, is to read the books first because if you watch the show before that, it would be too good for you to come back to reading the books, which would be a shame since ASoIF is the best written fantasy series IMO.
  100. Mar 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I, like many others, have not read the books. I'd heard plenty of good things about the series so I decided to give it a chance. I wasn't entirely displeased at it, either. A lot of the characters had great wit and personality, and I found myself feeling far more attached to certain characters and story threads than others, as I suppose is natural with a series with SO MANY different people involved. At first, I was quite interested to see how the characters developed, but near... about the half-way point, I'd say, my enjoyment began to waver a bit. To put it simply, initially I was very impressed by the way some of the main characters were dealt with. It felt surprising in the sense that no character seemed to be safe from terrible things happening to them. But in all honesty, by the end of the season I just found it hard to watch because it felt like they were just piling on terrible thing after terrible thing and the best way I can describe it in my own mind is that I found it all very tiring. Please don't get me wrong; as a writer myself I do enjoy and find it important to cause bad things to happen to important characters. It's what moves a story along. But when there's so many bad things happening and it feels as though nothing GOOD happens to any of them, it begins to wear on me a little bit. In the end, I found myself becoming less attached to characters I'd liked the whole way through just because I didn't want to feel so put out when they were inevitably killed or wronged in some egregious way. I'm not quite sure whether this is simply a fault of my own or if others feel the same, but it is for that reason primarily that my score remains in the green. I can't call it poor because of my preference, but I can't give it a perfect score, either. It is also for this reason I recommend people see it for themselves and make their own decision. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Hal Boedeker
    Apr 25, 2011
    The epic fantasy series is lavish, violent and often quite nasty. Most crucially, this adaptation of George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice and Fire" book series is unnecessarily difficult to follow.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Apr 18, 2011
    The gloriously bloody and depraved spirit of the novels is intact and even enhanced.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Apr 18, 2011
    A grand soap opera of epic proportions, Game of Thrones can be a bit talky in some episodes, but the series draws a viewer in with well-defined characters and a multitude of simultaneous stories whose plot turns are generally unpredictable.