- Network: MTV - Music Television
- Series Premiere Date: Nov 25, 2013
- Season #: 1
- Summary: The six-part docu-series focuses on 17-year-old, Breeanna who seeks out her half-siblings fathered by the same anonymous donor.
- Genre(s): Reality, Documentary
- Show Type: Hasn't Aired
- Season 1 premiere date: Nov 25, 2013
- Air Time: 12:00 AM
- More Details and Credits »
Generation Cryo separates itself from the likes of Catfish and Teen Mom by not treating its subjects as spectacle. They’re portrayed as people dealing with issues that affect their everyday lives, recalling some of the better installments of the True Life series.
Even though it’s moving to watch a bunch of young people turning to one another for strength and counsel, finding what they need in the others, the clear narrative through-line of the show is Breeanna’s mission.
Like most docu- reality TV mashups, the need for drama on-screen trumped detailed explanations. Choppy editing comes standard. Still, the tension between the impulse to search and the need for privacy is clear. Emotions run high and the conflict makes for good television.
It’s a welcome respite from some of the network’s noisier fare. The main problem here is that even when they’re not being whiny, the kids (beginning with Breeanna, our ostensible tour guide) simply aren’t articulate enough to trigger a genuine discussion about the sometimes-thorny issues surrounding procreation via test tube or the nature of being “a sperm donor kid.”