• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Jul 13, 2008
  • Season #: 1
8.7

1. Dec 5, 2010
    Brilliant in all angles, story, acting, humorous, great characters, simply put the best 7 hours of TV i have watched in a long long time.

Obviously the only people who dislike this movie as some of the comments below are blind idiotic patriots.
  2. Oct 8, 2012
    This is one of the best TV shows I have seen

the characters were not cliche war characters but real guys. Rudy is portrayed by the actual Rudy Reyes too. The dialogue was awesome, and the directing was great. HBO has made 3 of the bes war series ever. This, in my opinion, is better than The Pacific and Band of Bros It does not go all liberal or conservative. It shows the waste of
    This is one of the best TV shows I have seen

It does not go all liberal or conservative. It shows the waste of recon marines and some of the pointlessness of the war but it does not go all yucky and liberal about it. If you are liberal, you might get a bit offended by this show but the show really isn't about politics or anything. It's about the guys who fought in Operation Iraqi Freedom

Check this 7 part series out.

4 stars outa 5. 91/100
  3. Jan 28, 2011
    Myself and my husband are wondering why was the choice of such a song with words"I'm so happy, so happy that it happened this way" was chosen...happy about what?...just want to know why this choice was made?
  4. Mar 4, 2011
    Have just finished viewing this here in Australia. I am not particularly drawn to military films but this was just brilliant. Once you realised this was not a Hollywood drama which would have the key characters shot for drama sake - you could just sit back and absorb and be mesmerised by (as based on real events and characters) a true and fascinating depiction of the reality of modernHave just finished viewing this here in Australia. I am not particularly drawn to military films but this was just brilliant. Once you realised this was not a Hollywood drama which would have the key characters shot for drama sake - you could just sit back and absorb and be mesmerised by (as based on real events and characters) a true and fascinating depiction of the reality of modern day US war . It is clear by reading the reviews that people either "got it" or they didn't. I am now also a fan of Alexander Skargard who played Sgt Brad Colbert. I can't wait to see him in other productions. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2011
    It absolutely blows me away when idiots on here say that GK is "exaggerated" or "unrealistic". The show is based on a book about REAL LIFE EVENTS, and stays extremely close, even toning down some events! Go read Generation Kill by Evan Wright or One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick, they BOTH corroborate with the story from the show. KeithA's review is even more amazing, saying that the showIt absolutely blows me away when idiots on here say that GK is "exaggerated" or "unrealistic". The show is based on a book about REAL LIFE EVENTS, and stays extremely close, even toning down some events! Go read Generation Kill by Evan Wright or One Bullet Away by Nathaniel Fick, they BOTH corroborate with the story from the show. KeithA's review is even more amazing, saying that the show is made by people to make troops like bad. ONCE AGAIN, IT IS A TRUE STORY. Same thing applies to BaroL's review, perhaps moreso. All that aside, Generation Kill is an amazing show and kept me hooked for the short season of only 7 episodes. It's amazing how close they kept to the real story, and in my opinion, that's what makes it great. HIGHLY recommend the show, and it also encouraged me to start watching The Wire, another fantastic show by the same people. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2011
    Did you just finish The Wire or the latest True Blood episode and now have withdrawal symptoms so bad that even a seasoned meth-head would feel the need to get you a cool washrag to dab your forehead? Well, I have the methadone to your addiction in Generation Kill.

Created by The Wire's David Simon and starring Eric, er, Alexander Skarsgard, Generation Kill follows a marine battalion as they attempt to make it through their tour in the Iraq War despite the United States government failing to get them the supplies and assistance they actually need, **** that sounds familiar to me... you too? Weird. The performances and writing are exactly what you would expect from the creator of the best show that ever graced television. The writers provide an unflinching look at the war and never once wave the flag or let the eagles cry.

Generation Kill is a tribute to the working class type of soldier that only wants to support his family in the way they his father tried to do before him. The actors and situations in the miniseries capture the brotherhood and the total culture that is classically characteristic of the armed services. The writers do an amazing job of bringing the audience in to feel part of the culture. With the nuanced attitudes and jargon that is so unapologetic at times, the series actually comes with a glossary. Whiskey Tango, anyone? The way in which this show gives the audience such complete story and character development out of such a complex multi-leveled topic in only seven episodes is astounding.

Generation Kill is so well written and smart that I actually made it through the entire series without even once feeling like I was watching a bunch of frat boys make up for their small penises by shooting massive explosives at innocent people. This is the Apocalypse Now! of the the Iraq War generation. Take it up now because people will use this to reference the newest era of injustice from the U.S. in twenty years, just as Apocalypse Now! is the go-to reference for the Vietnam era. To read more of my reviews go to: televisionhypnotism.blogspot.com
  7. May 22, 2012
    As a former soldier I can say that it doesn't get more authentic than this. Best war-series of al time bar none. No prejudice, no convenient agenda, just a reconstruction of what these marines experienced. A refreshingly honest show.
  8. Nov 29, 2014
    War as it is, not how it should be or we want it to be. Real marines, real conflict. Painstakingly authentic. People say cliched... but have they met any real soldiers or marines? I have, and organizations breed such familiarity. Brilliant show. Must watch.
  9. Aug 17, 2014
    Realistic, vulgar, and prophetic, Generation Kill succeeds in portraying the first few days of the Iraq War with an artistic dread that's entertaining, as well as important.

1. Reviewed by: Ken Tucker
    Kill pays both you and its subjects two solid compliments: It doesn't scream ''Take heed: This is a work of art!'' And it lets you form your own opinions about what its social commentary is.
  2. Meanwhile, some remarkable television has been made. To report on a new generation of young warriors raised on hip-hop, heavy metal, and video games, Wright went to Iraq as Michael Herr before him had gone to Vietnam, like Dante to hell with a cassette recording of Jimi Hendrix.
  3. Reviewed by: Verne Gay
    You get the sense that the filmmakers' vision and Wright's are never quite in sync--or perhaps are in sync too perfectly.