• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 15, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
6.8

1. Aug 21, 2014
    this show is not worth typing the 120 minimum words. Let me start of by saying that, this show is incredibly hard to watch due to how unlikeable all the characters are, starting by hanna.
  2. Feb 3, 2014
    Not everyone's cup of tea to put it lightly, Lena Dunham's, "Girls" may come off as overly sympathetic to its at times obnoxious and self-indulgent cast however, there is no denying the humorous and clever dialogue that exists. The whole concept of such dislikable characters is intentionally done and the actual charm of the show providing a realistic outlook of your typical irrationalNot everyone's cup of tea to put it lightly, Lena Dunham's, "Girls" may come off as overly sympathetic to its at times obnoxious and self-indulgent cast however, there is no denying the humorous and clever dialogue that exists. The whole concept of such dislikable characters is intentionally done and the actual charm of the show providing a realistic outlook of your typical irrational young-adult acting like a monkey. It in the end works for me. Expand
  3. Jan 24, 2014
    Why are the majority of these characters Jewish? Adam's sister is so completely obnoxious. It boggles the mind that someone hasn't killed her by now. I have great difficulty understanding very much of what Shoshanna has to say. She rattles on so quickly, it sounds like a gun being fired in rapid succession. Why does Hannah insist on flaunting her less than perfect body in so manyWhy are the majority of these characters Jewish? Adam's sister is so completely obnoxious. It boggles the mind that someone hasn't killed her by now. I have great difficulty understanding very much of what Shoshanna has to say. She rattles on so quickly, it sounds like a gun being fired in rapid succession. Why does Hannah insist on flaunting her less than perfect body in so many episodes. Hey, I don't look like a model either, but this is definitely not a case for "If you got it, flaunt it! If you don't have it, flaunt it anyway!" She's probably one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, but, please, Hannah, keep your clothes on...Marine does! And, I know Jessa has some life issues, but she is the most caustic, abrasive human being I've seen strutting her stuff. Again, how has this chick managed to avoid being slapped around like a red-headed step child? Patrick Wilson and Hannah? Are you kidding me? Well, that's Hollywood I guess. They need to have Adam's sister jump off a train track very, very soon. Where do they all get the money they need to survive in NYC? So many questions and not enough answers. Expand
  4. Jan 11, 2014
    Really funny and believable, though it seems as if Lena Dunham is in love with herself, especially towards the season's end. There's reason to like or dislike characters and that's all part of the charm due to the realism. Many odd moments will occur throughout the show and will show off some of those embarrassing feelings which you have kept hidden inside of you, that alone is a goodReally funny and believable, though it seems as if Lena Dunham is in love with herself, especially towards the season's end. There's reason to like or dislike characters and that's all part of the charm due to the realism. Many odd moments will occur throughout the show and will show off some of those embarrassing feelings which you have kept hidden inside of you, that alone is a good reason to watch. Expand
  5. Nov 12, 2013
    Couldn't watch past the third episode. Vomit reasons. Not worth the other 100 characters.....................................................................
  6. Aug 22, 2013
    Intrigued by rave reviews and against my best judgement, I decided to give it a go. Turns out, this show is just as bad as I expected. The story revolves around four younger, poorer and charm-free versions of the notorious Sex & the City women.
    Said "girls" are depressed (and depressing) whiners, unable to earn a living and clueless about life and love. Granted we were probably behaving in a similar irrational way during our twenties, however, I do not watch TV shows to be reminded of the most difficult time of my life.
    The sex scenes are cringe-inducing. Probably more "realistic" than your average filmed, mainstream sex, but then again, who needs to witness so many scenes of humiliation and awkwardness?
    I can vaguely see the appeal for those in the same age-frame. I see none for everybody else. About the rave reviews… honestly no clue whatsoever how they got to be written.
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    While Girls is pretty humorous at times, clever during others, and occasionally emotionally involving, it's far too sympathetic toward its selfish, self involved characters.
    The first episode showed great amounts of potential, and it does live up to part of that potential, but later down the line (especially during the second season), it's far to difficult to care any which way for our main characters along with her friends because, in all honesty, the show actually expects us to sympathize with them.
    There's nothing wrong with featuring a cast of spoiled, selfish, self involved characters. Arrested Development did that with glorious results. The downfall in Girls comes in the fact that we're actually expected to sympathize with these character's trivialities, which is a real shame.
    I will say though, that this show is very realistic, more than one might expect, and it doesn't ever become overly sappy, which makes it worth while.
  8. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show surprised me. The writing is snarky, funny, occasionally emotional, and very real. The portrayal of the characters is not entirely sympathetic. Yes, they are whiny, self-absorbed daddy's girls sometimes, but they are also caring, sensitive, and thoughtful. This is a very introspective portrait of the millennial generation: often maligned and misunderstood, over-educated and under-employed, feeling always in transition because they never seem to be doing what they pictured themselves doing as adults when they were 16. I relate to this show not because I live in New York, but because I identify with the struggle of the protagonists. I understand what it's like to be between jobs, to get pressure from parents to just "get a job", to not know what I want to do "when I grow up".
    In addition, Girls is possibly the most feminist series I have ever watched. While Sex and the City was overly focused on superficiality and consumerism, Girls deals with real, messed-up human beings, and all the trouble and baggage that comes with them. Their lives do not revolve around their significant others, and they talk to each other about things like STDs, abortion, gay rights, racism and unemployment. That alone is a feat, given that most female-driven series are overly focused on getting a man and keeping him around. These women feel like real people that I know. Hannah especially is a relatable character because she is possibly the first average-looking body I have ever seen on television. But she owns her body. She traipses around New York in short shorts ("one could go their whole life wearing short shorts and offend almost no one") and dresses without a care in the world. She stress eats, which everyone does once in a blue moon and nobody admits to. In the way it deals with body image alone, Girls is high on my list of feminist dramedy. My boyfriend watches this show with me and is also addicted to it.

A+++++
  9. Mar 29, 2013
    I think this show is just a Lena Dunham vanity project. It's self indulgent and certainly not a reflection of reality for young people, as others suggest. It's about poor little privileged girls, living the hipster lifestyle and not being particularly funny or interesting. I also find it quite odd that it's completely white washed when it's supposedly set in New York City which happens toI think this show is just a Lena Dunham vanity project. It's self indulgent and certainly not a reflection of reality for young people, as others suggest. It's about poor little privileged girls, living the hipster lifestyle and not being particularly funny or interesting. I also find it quite odd that it's completely white washed when it's supposedly set in New York City which happens to be one of the most diverse places in America, let alone Brooklyn. I mean, even the background actors are all white. I think the alleged feminism is also very misguided. Expand
  10. Mar 20, 2013
    Go with the critics on this one; this is another superb show from the always reliable HBO. Lena Dunham has an incredible ear for realistic and interesting dialogue. That alone would be enough for me to watch, but where the show truly shines is in its characters. they are all so strange yet relatable, and frustrating but hopelessly sympathetic. 9.5/10
  11. Mar 20, 2013
    At first I thought this was going to be stupid. I'm usually like that with the pilot of any new show, so I said well let me watch the next episode and its kinda funny to me. *shrugz*
  12. Mar 10, 2013
    This is a brilliant show, well deserving of its critical acclaim. Of course you will always have the simpletons who don't "get" shows unless they're completely dumbed down, like 2 Broke Girls or Grey's Anatomy. For those of us who appreciate something edgy, smart, funny unique, this show is fantastic. Something I read online that rings so true: "People are understandably envious ofThis is a brilliant show, well deserving of its critical acclaim. Of course you will always have the simpletons who don't "get" shows unless they're completely dumbed down, like 2 Broke Girls or Grey's Anatomy. For those of us who appreciate something edgy, smart, funny unique, this show is fantastic. Something I read online that rings so true: "People are understandably envious of Dunham's success. Hell, I know I am! But she is successful and the show is successful because she is cool as hell. She is funny, insightful, and most of all, devastatingly honest. She lets it ALL hang out there. It's not narcissism. It's art. And the fact that we're even having this discussion is proof that she is a genius. Good art makes you think about things. Dunham makes us think. She makes us laugh. And she entertains us. What's not to love?"

Lena is brilliant fantastic I hope the show has many more seasons on HBO!
  13. Feb 17, 2013
    Over-rated self-conscious self-obsessed show about unsympathetic over-privileged girls. So what's to like? My god, these girls are in the 5% of the world and well into the 1% of the world. Why would anyone care about their whining?
  14. Feb 14, 2013
    I watched the entire first season of Girls to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After the final episode concluded I was left confused why so many critics gave this show glowing reviews. It has moments that are interesting, but they are maybe 2-3 minutes per episode in length. I also was unable to connect with any of the characters since the show did its best to make them all equallyI watched the entire first season of Girls to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After the final episode concluded I was left confused why so many critics gave this show glowing reviews. It has moments that are interesting, but they are maybe 2-3 minutes per episode in length. I also was unable to connect with any of the characters since the show did its best to make them all equally unlikable. For me, Girls is one of those shows where the numerous critics glowing praise was completely off base. Expand
  15. Feb 4, 2013
    Expanding my previous comment.... the only thing I`m assuming this show is liked for many critics is because shows the stupid that are white imbecile self entitled rich kids... Oh.. some kid is doing coke... oh... the not so atractive girl is naked.... this is the state in every art... put shocking things in your book/paint/sculpture/tv show and idiots will watched and claim that is theExpanding my previous comment.... the only thing I`m assuming this show is liked for many critics is because shows the stupid that are white imbecile self entitled rich kids... Oh.. some kid is doing coke... oh... the not so atractive girl is naked.... this is the state in every art... put shocking things in your book/paint/sculpture/tv show and idiots will watched and claim that is the best thing ever.... by the way... the music is horrible.. hipster crap.. Expand
  16. Jan 27, 2013
    I was apprehensive when I first started watching "Girls", but as the season progressed I became increasingly intrigued by the show, and after finishing the 1st season I realize how good it really was. Some other users have complained about it "not being up to HBO standards", but I believe in all its simplicity it actually shines by being completely straightforward, not hiding anything inI was apprehensive when I first started watching "Girls", but as the season progressed I became increasingly intrigued by the show, and after finishing the 1st season I realize how good it really was. Some other users have complained about it "not being up to HBO standards", but I believe in all its simplicity it actually shines by being completely straightforward, not hiding anything in it's depiction of a group of mid 20s girls living a glamour-less New York lifestyle. Expand
  17. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched the first three episodes after seeing the Golden Globe awards. This show is not only bad but disturbingly bad. How interesting that the critics rate this higher than the users, just the opposite of the the uplifting and empowering film Cloud Atlas. This TV show reinforces the lowest expectations that a young person might have for love and romance, as do recent reports in the New York Times about "the end of courtship" and "an oil town where men are many and women are hounded." I don't care whether the characters are rich or poor, but how dispiriting that they demand so little respect for themselves, in relationships and at work.

*** SPOILER ALERT *** There is a lot of nudity and fairly explicit sex scenes, but so joyless! One character halfheartedly participates in fantasies of humiliating under-aged prostitutes, never comes herself, gets a disease, and begs for more. Another one is confronted by a guy who says he will "make you afraid the first time I f*ck you, because I'm a man and I know how to do things" -- and she finds this so exciting she has to run ... run!... back to work to masturbate. Everyone seems to be an unpaid intern or babysitter. Back in Cloud Atlas terms, Girls is a step toward a more barbaric society. There are many more uplifting ways to spend your time, including washing the kitchen floor.
  18. Jan 8, 2013
    This is an addendum to my previous review, which is stated far more elegantly than anything I said. It is by the author David Foster Wallace, who talks about the "shallow rebelliousness of TV. Irony and ridicule are effective and entertaining but are at the same time agents of a great despair and stasis..." The full quote is below. I find this show to be too ironic, too full of ridiculeThis is an addendum to my previous review, which is stated far more elegantly than anything I said. It is by the author David Foster Wallace, who talks about the "shallow rebelliousness of TV. Irony and ridicule are effective and entertaining but are at the same time agents of a great despair and stasis..." The full quote is below. I find this show to be too ironic, too full of ridicule and yet at the same time, totally static. ______________________

Wallace's fiction is often concerned with irony. His essay "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction",[33] originally published in the small-circulation Review of Contemporary Fiction in 1993, proposes that television has an ironic influence on fiction writing, and urges literary authors to eschew TV's shallow rebelliousness: "I want to convince you that irony, poker-faced silence, and fear of ridicule are distinctive of those features of contemporary U.S. culture (of which cutting-edge fiction is a part) that enjoy any significant relation to the television whose weird pretty hand has my generation by the throat. I'm going to argue that irony and ridicule are entertaining and effective, and that at the same time they are agents of a great despair and stasis in U.S. culture, and that for aspiring fictionists they pose terrifically vexing problems." Wallace used many forms of irony, but focused on individuals' continued longing for earnest, unselfconscious experience and communication in a media-saturated society.[34] Literary critic Adam Kirsch said that Wallace's "self-conscious earnestness" and "hostility to irony defined a literary generation
  19. Dec 23, 2012
    Remember the four Manhattan based women on Sex and the City? Splashing the cash to keep up with the fashion and attending NY's most glamorous parties? Forget them. Four girls in New York is where the similarities end. These girls live in Brooklyn, struggle to pay rent and are more likely to attend parties in warehouses.

Based on some of her own experiences, Lena Durham (who plays lead

Based on some of her own experiences, Lena Durham (who plays lead character Hannah) created and wrote the show, as well as directing five of the ten episodes. She deserves credit for writing such a fresh take on the 'girls story'. The girls in question are not always at their glamorous best, crude, promiscuous and are supported by a witty and often hilarious script. Their day to day issues are largely trivial, Hannah's parents cut her off financially, Marnie's boyfriend is too perfect, Shoshanna is a virgin and Jessa returns from travelling unhappy at adapting to the real world. Despite this, the script makes these trivial storylines more than amusing and the pure oddness of the supporting characters, mainly Adam (Adam Driver), really helps. One guy decides not have to have sex with Shoshanna when he discovers she's a virgin because "virgins get attached. Or they bleed.". To which she replies, "I'm a totally unattached bleeder". Chris O'Dowd makes a hilarious cameo in a later episode as a wealthy businessman who gets agonisingly close to having a ménage a trois with Jessa and Marnie, only for it to fall apart before his eyes and actually be more annoyed that the girls spilt wine onto his expensive rug.
  20. Nov 30, 2012
    Intolerably bad. Seriously. I didn't just watch the first scene of episode 1 & get sick to my stomach either. I forced myself to watch the entire season & to remain "open minded". What a complete waste of time. I guess if you're into complete **** or if you're an old fogey that wants to live vicariously through these zero- dimensional characters, then have at it.
  21. Nov 21, 2012
    It's a love-hate relationship with "Sex and the City" that Lena Dunham explores in "Girls". The thing is, yes, not everyone is Carrie from that show, but most people aren't Lena Dunham either which seems to be the thing the show forgets. Thankfully, the over-honesty is mostly endearing and Dunham is as likable as she could be playing what I'd assume is herself.
  22. Nov 12, 2012
    In my opinion it takes some episodes to really appreciate this show but once you do you love it. It's like a mix between US tv series Sex&the city (but it's deeper and more interesting and realistic) and UK tv series Skins. Give it a shot
  23. Sep 12, 2012
    I feel that I have to defend the show. Don't get me wrong I don't think it was the perfect start for a freshman series. It was very good, though. It showed how it feels to be young, confused, bold, dreamer, a failure, in love, and above all humane in the city that never sleeps in 2012 where everything is possible and thus in question. By the end of the season finale, I was quite impressedI feel that I have to defend the show. Don't get me wrong I don't think it was the perfect start for a freshman series. It was very good, though. It showed how it feels to be young, confused, bold, dreamer, a failure, in love, and above all humane in the city that never sleeps in 2012 where everything is possible and thus in question. By the end of the season finale, I was quite impressed by the universe Mrs. Dunham created and I anticipate the next season eagerly. P.S For those of you who think the protagonist is ugly well...It's not Sex And The City!!! Expand
  24. Sep 8, 2012
    i thought this comedy was one of the best new shows of the season. im glad it got renewed. the only bad thing about Girls is the constant attention to Hannah (Lena Dunham). I want to know about the other characters not just her.
  25. Sep 3, 2012
    OMG. How could the user reviews be so wrong? How can *The Wire*, with its droll attempt at reality, outrank this show with users? Bizarre. If you haven't seen this show, please try it out. It's so honest and likeable. I watched the whole first season over labor day weekend. My fav line: "I am 13 pounds overweight and it has been awful for me my whole life!" The show feels like an attemptOMG. How could the user reviews be so wrong? How can *The Wire*, with its droll attempt at reality, outrank this show with users? Bizarre. If you haven't seen this show, please try it out. It's so honest and likeable. I watched the whole first season over labor day weekend. My fav line: "I am 13 pounds overweight and it has been awful for me my whole life!" The show feels like an attempt to portray everything embarrassing about being a girl in her 20's, while somehow still finding acceptance and joy. Expand
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    Pretty darn good, not newsroom quality but significantly better than most everything else on television/HBO right now, looking forward to a second season; have no idea where they are gonna go but will watch.
  27. Jul 27, 2012
    It is subtly funny and audacious. When I watched the first episode, I wasn't that impressed, but it grew on me over time to the point where I actually looked forward to watching the newest episode. Jessa is the highlight.
  28. Jul 26, 2012
    Definitely a conversation worthy show for anyone in their 20s. As the season progresses the characters are easier to understand and are more sympathetic. Lena hits topics that no other writer on TV has hit. Hopefully this show does not become Bored to Death or even Eastbound as it is most likely this decade's Sex and the City.
  29. Jul 21, 2012
    There are definitely some funny moments in the first season of 'Girls' but they are fairly spread out throughout the 10 episodes. The first episodes are the funniest and, I think, most well-written. There are some unrealistic aspects of the main characters. Not much information is given that connects the 4 main girls together, because frankly it seems that they aren't all that amazingThere are definitely some funny moments in the first season of 'Girls' but they are fairly spread out throughout the 10 episodes. The first episodes are the funniest and, I think, most well-written. There are some unrealistic aspects of the main characters. Not much information is given that connects the 4 main girls together, because frankly it seems that they aren't all that amazing of friends. Allison Williams' portrays her character the best. Not to sound like an old geezer or anything, but I just feel like there were way too many (purposely) uncomfortable sex scenes to fit into a 30-min time-slot. They could of toned that down a lot and still have portrayed the sexual frustration and misunderstandings just fine. If they would've replaced some of those dragged-out scenes with more plain comedy or character-development, 'Girls' could have been golden. What I really enjoyed, however, was the "What Am I Going To Do With My Life" factor of the show. Lena Dunham portrays that life confusion in the writing very effectively, and it is a tad bit sobering at times. The serious aspects of the show and character portrayals are what make this show good. Comically speaking, episodes 2 & 3 are the funniest by far when displaying Hannah's (Dunham) fears about STDs. Dramatically speaking, episodes 6 & 7 are the best, displaying the confusion about life ahead. I definitely recommend, but it is not for everyone! Expand
  30. Jul 11, 2012
    Usually I pay metacritic's user score more heed than I do the actual critic score. This is because I find people obsessed with critic ratings to be the best critics out there. They know not to put all your eggs in the basket of one critic, but coming to metacritic also means they appreciate incite that critics offer. In the case of Girls, the metacritic user base has completely andUsually I pay metacritic's user score more heed than I do the actual critic score. This is because I find people obsessed with critic ratings to be the best critics out there. They know not to put all your eggs in the basket of one critic, but coming to metacritic also means they appreciate incite that critics offer. In the case of Girls, the metacritic user base has completely and utterly failed me. I have not seen such an innovative style for a show in a long time. The humor is wry and witty, while somehow managing to be equally vulgar. The issues and the characters feel real. I was not going to give this show a chance after I saw the extremely low Metacritic user score (at the time it was like 5.X), but my wife loved it, so I gave it a try. I'm really glad I did because it by far my favorite comedy of 2012. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Diane Garrett
    Jan 15, 2014
    Overall, the season gets off to a very strong--and interesting--start. The writing is deepening along with the relationships depicted.
  2. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Girls was great last year. But this season it just got a little bit better.
    Four episodes in, and Girls is still packing tons of jaw-dropping, head-shaking, eyebrow-raising scenes into 30 minutes each Sunday night.