• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 15, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
6.8

1. Apr 19, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of nepotism, but I'm fair and will give credit where credit is due. That said, there is very little credit due here. Just rich kids trying to feel something real, giving up and just faking it. A lot of critics will give a project credit because of its pedigree. It's called the Halo Effect, when something's value is raised just because of the hands that touched it. That's happening here and people will continue to defend it for a while but as the viewers flee so will all support. It's technically polished but still just a fart in the wind. Expand
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    Intrigued by rave reviews and against my best judgement, I decided to give it a go. Turns out, this show is just as bad as I expected. The story revolves around four younger, poorer and charm-free versions of the notorious Sex & the City women.
    Said "girls" are depressed (and depressing) whiners, unable to earn a living and clueless about life and love. Granted we were probably behaving
    in a similar irrational way during our twenties, however, I do not watch TV shows to be reminded of the most difficult time of my life.
    The sex scenes are cringe-inducing. Probably more "realistic" than your average filmed, mainstream sex, but then again, who needs to witness so many scenes of humiliation and awkwardness?
    I can vaguely see the appeal for those in the same age-frame. I see none for everybody else. About the rave reviews… honestly no clue whatsoever how they got to be written.
  3. Apr 23, 2012
    There seems to be a kind of knee jerk response from critics to many HBO shows: they must be good because they are HBO. Meanwhile, as here, there is a definite disconnect between professional critics and viewers. My bias runs the other way.. Based on history -- The Sopranos, The Wire, Sex and the City, Curb your Enthusiasm, etc. -- I take a more "prove it" stance. I want HBO to prove it still has it. This is the cable network that set the bar after all. "Girls" is simply not up to standards. Watch the first scene again. If this were not HBO, and you hadn't been told by critics and others that it is fantastic, would you watch beyond that scene? Expand
  4. Apr 18, 2012
    This is legitimately one of the worst shows I have ever seen on television, and it frightens me that HBO would have this on their otherwise respectable network. I am in awe that Judd Apatow was involved with this, as he's usually hilarious. The acting is stale, the lead characters are privileged, dumb and annoying and there is scarcely any humour to the show. It's just about a pathetic, whiny rich girl. If you think this is intelligent humour, you're probably the type of person who reads "Into Thin Air" and thinks they've climbed everest. Poor writing, poor acting, poor everything. This is extremely shallow, unintelligent, bland, repetitive crap. Stay away. Expand
  5. Feb 14, 2013
    I watched the entire first season of Girls to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After the final episode concluded I was left confused why so many critics gave this show glowing reviews. It has moments that are interesting, but they are maybe 2-3 minutes per episode in length. I also was unable to connect with any of the characters since the show did its best to make them all equally unlikable. For me, Girls is one of those shows where the numerous critics glowing praise was completely off base. Expand
  6. May 6, 2012
    OMG I can not believe this show has such strong reviews. Plus it's not just on TV it's on HBO so it must be good. Well, it's not! I watched the first episode and didn't enjoy it at all. But it was highly rated and on HBO so I thought I would give it another chance. I then watched the second episode all the way through and that was it. I can take no more. There is nothing interesting about this show at all. At least from my point of view. Expand
  7. Mar 29, 2013
    I think this show is just a Lena Dunham vanity project. It's self indulgent and certainly not a reflection of reality for young people, as others suggest. It's about poor little privileged girls, living the hipster lifestyle and not being particularly funny or interesting. I also find it quite odd that it's completely white washed when it's supposedly set in New York City which happens to be one of the most diverse places in America, let alone Brooklyn. I mean, even the background actors are all white. I think the alleged feminism is also very misguided. Expand
  8. Apr 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They should just title this show Sex and the City: Next Generation but that would insult the former show. What is it about a fantasy New York setting that captivates women to make them actually move to New York to try to create this fantasy that doesn't exist? Stay in the suburbs spoiled white women this is not the real New York. Sex and the City at least had likable characters. I was hoping all of them would get run over by a NYC taxicab. It is amazing how the 4 characters fit right into the Sex and the City stereotype characters. Oh the one that is a virgin is soooo Charlotte and so on. This is waste of earth resources. Expand
  9. Apr 22, 2012
    WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE WANT TO WATCH A SHOW ABOUT RICH SPOILED WHITE PEOPLE? NOTHING IS GOOD ABOUT THIS SHOW AND THE CRITICS ARE DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT'S GOOD OR BAD.
  10. Feb 17, 2013
    Over-rated self-conscious self-obsessed show about unsympathetic over-privileged girls. So what's to like? My god, these girls are in the 5% of the world and well into the 1% of the world. Why would anyone care about their whining?
  11. Apr 22, 2012
    We're welcomed to the show with a run of the mill conversation between an average american brat and its unforgiving parents whom have suddenly decided to cut off life support rendering said brat to throw an inconclusive tantrum from which nothing is resolved, the title screen rolls 'GIRLS' and before any are formally introduced, we already find ourselves disliking them all.

A few awkward
    transitions later we're presented with a failed attempt of affection between two of what appears to be a triad of mentally stunted individuals under a single roof. Two of them deciding upon bathing mutually, likely to cut expenses that were forfeited to purchase a cupcake the more androgynous of the two engulfs while assuring the other that her boyfriend must have a vagina because he's chemically drawn to a **** who confirms to those watching she knows nothing of the opposite sex as she discusses men in an elementary fashion while she walks down the street with her equally confused sidekick.

Another awkward conversation follows between the seemingly clueless female and her boss as they discuss the potential of herself being officially hired by the company on a permanent basis, he proceeds to take a dump on the idea of her future opportunity and sends her on her merry way frowning like she just soiled her diaper we begin to feel an ounce of sympathy for the girl and pray to the conclusion that she'll finally get her **** together until we see her dwindle into the arms of a pimply white knight who knows exactly what to say to get her to remove her panties to silence their incompatibility and life confusions leaving a feeling of disgust inside our body as we're left to witness him take advantage of her reproductive orifice.

The camera shoots back to her apartment where her roomates are boring each other to death and cracking awkward jokes until ms. haven't a clue walks through the door apparently smelling of so much sex it overpowers the stale stench emitting from all currently known characters until we're treated to a bathroom **** fight between best friend and british newcomer which is just enough to get you half stiff until we find out one girl is already pregnant and ofcourse by accident because none of these girls have what it takes to even take care of a goldfish.

So, if you're interested in further speculation of twenty four year olds leeches who act they're four years old. I recommend you stay tuned.
  12. Apr 25, 2012
    For all the froth collecting around this show regarding its excessive nepotism, racial exclusiveness/insensitivity, sloppily uninspired and weird sex, etc., what really matters for a viewer in the end is that the show just isn't any good. The characters are uninteresting, not relateable; the script tries but isn't actually funny; the question you'll keep asking yourself over and over will overwhelmingly be "Who cares?" Seriously, Who cares? I'm giving it a 1 for providing the service of helping to more easily identify really dumb people without having to seriously engage them ("Girls" fans are sort of like the people reading Thomas Friedman books on the subway... except dumber and more vapid). Expand
  13. May 18, 2012
    I started watching the show with very high expectations, and I was very disappointed. The characters are too shallow (read: spoiled little brats), and it seems to be nothing but a pathetic attempt at recreating Sex and the City with younger girls. I gave up after falling asleep during all 3 episodes I watched, and I could not put myself through any more. Woeful.
  14. Jul 9, 2012
    The show is just like the main actress: An Granade. It's the worst thing I ever saw.It's boring, most of the girls are very ungly, slow, not point and absolutely not funny at all.
  15. Apr 20, 2012
    The show is ok. Its a rip off between freaks and geeks and sex and the city.
    I do not think this will ever be an International sensation.
    It could turn out to be interesting but i am not really that into to go any further.
    The lead is annoying.
  16. Nov 12, 2013
    Couldn't watch past the third episode. Vomit reasons. Not worth the other 100 characters.....................................................................
  17. May 19, 2012
    Why are the critics saying this is fantastic. From their perspective it might be challenging new boundaries in TV. For a viewer it's just hard work; you feel little empathy for any of the characters. It shows how sometimes critics are far removed from audiences.
  18. May 28, 2012
    Main characters are stupid and make pointless decisions and I don't care about them. They annoy me and I'm sure they will annoy most level headed people.
  19. Apr 23, 2012
    HBO should spare its subscribers! This meandering, rarely clever dramedy has clearly failed to catch on with viewers, just like Dunham's awful film (Tiny Furniture). Sometimes, critics (especially older ones) are so sheltered that anything representing a young lifestyle they're unaware of is suddenly considered brilliant. The world didn't need another Diablo Cody, yet here we are again.
  20. Feb 4, 2013
    Expanding my previous comment.... the only thing I`m assuming this show is liked for many critics is because shows the stupid that are white imbecile self entitled rich kids... Oh.. some kid is doing coke... oh... the not so atractive girl is naked.... this is the state in every art... put shocking things in your book/paint/sculpture/tv show and idiots will watched and claim that is the best thing ever.... by the way... the music is horrible.. hipster crap.. Expand
  21. Jun 4, 2012
    This is likely one of the worst shows on television. While the program certainly achieves its goal of presenting a painfully ironic collection of poorly behaved twenty-somethings, aside from a few scenes, it is hardly funny, regardless of one's comedic preferences. Although the show is undeniably well-produced in many respects, the acting ranges from mediocre to atrocious (For a salient example, see the opening scene of the first episode.). Naturally, the only one of the "girls" who appears to show any degree of consistent talent is the Jemima Kirke, who happens to be the show's only major actress devoid of superior cultural connections. Yet, the worst aspect of "Girls" is that is an enormous chore to watch. No, this is not because of its complexity or abstraction- in fact, there is little in the way of these elements- it's just the ubiquitous awareness of the viewer that the sources of show's plot line are infuriatingly petty. I might give some deference to Dunham's artistic intent, if I knew the writing here were mostly or completely satirical, but I'm almost absolutely certain that it is not. Having graduated from the same artsy liberal arts college (Oberlin) as Lena Dunham (In fact, though I didn't know her, my tenure overlaps with her own for a couple of years.), been a freelance artist for several years following my stay, and seen her god-awful film "Tiny Furniture," I can safely say that Dunham likely believes that her depiction of these caricatures of the most spoiled post-college "creative types" is insightful and compelling. Furthermore, and even more sickening, I believe Dunham, to some degree, is projecting herself in the nature and behavior of all of the major characters. And, I imagine should would readily admit this, too. Being constantly in contact with these sort of insufferable characters throughout my professional life, I thought TV could provide refuge from their vapidity. I was wrong. Expand
  22. Jun 18, 2012
    Possibly the worst show HBO has put on air. Not clever. Not insightful. Not funny. In the words of Peter Sellers, 'There's no there, there.' Haven't we had enjoy of privileged, young, Anglos gone wild in New York City see Felicity, Sex in the City, Gossip Girl. This is really the worst of the bunch. Quirkiness has to come naturally it can't be manufactured.
  23. Nov 30, 2012
    Intolerably bad. Seriously. I didn't just watch the first scene of episode 1 & get sick to my stomach either. I forced myself to watch the entire season & to remain "open minded". What a complete waste of time. I guess if you're into complete **** or if you're an old fogey that wants to live vicariously through these zero- dimensional characters, then have at it.
  24. Jan 8, 2013
    This is an addendum to my previous review, which is stated far more elegantly than anything I said. It is by the author David Foster Wallace, who talks about the "shallow rebelliousness of TV. Irony and ridicule are effective and entertaining but are at the same time agents of a great despair and stasis..." The full quote is below. I find this show to be too ironic, too full of ridicule and yet at the same time, totally static. ______________________

Wallace's fiction is often concerned with irony. His essay "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction",[33] originally published in the small-circulation Review of Contemporary Fiction in 1993, proposes that television has an ironic influence on fiction writing, and urges literary authors to eschew TV's shallow rebelliousness: "I want to convince you that irony, poker-faced silence, and fear of ridicule are distinctive of those features of contemporary U.S. culture (of which cutting-edge fiction is a part) that enjoy any significant relation to the television whose weird pretty hand has my generation by the throat. I'm going to argue that irony and ridicule are entertaining and effective, and that at the same time they are agents of a great despair and stasis in U.S. culture, and that for aspiring fictionists they pose terrifically vexing problems." Wallace used many forms of irony, but focused on individuals' continued longing for earnest, unselfconscious experience and communication in a media-saturated society.[34] Literary critic Adam Kirsch said that Wallace's "self-conscious earnestness" and "hostility to irony defined a literary generation
  25. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. I watched the first three episodes after seeing the Golden Globe awards. This show is not only bad but disturbingly bad. How interesting that the critics rate this higher than the users, just the opposite of the the uplifting and empowering film Cloud Atlas. This TV show reinforces the lowest expectations that a young person might have for love and romance, as do recent reports in the New York Times about "the end of courtship" and "an oil town where men are many and women are hounded." I don't care whether the characters are rich or poor, but how dispiriting that they demand so little respect for themselves, in relationships and at work.

*** SPOILER ALERT *** There is a lot of nudity and fairly explicit sex scenes, but so joyless! One character halfheartedly participates in fantasies of humiliating under-aged prostitutes, never comes herself, gets a disease, and begs for more. Another one is confronted by a guy who says he will "make you afraid the first time I f*ck you, because I'm a man and I know how to do things" -- and she finds this so exciting she has to run ... run!... back to work to masturbate. Everyone seems to be an unpaid intern or babysitter. Back in Cloud Atlas terms, Girls is a step toward a more barbaric society. There are many more uplifting ways to spend your time, including washing the kitchen floor.
  26. Jan 24, 2014
    Why are the majority of these characters Jewish? Adam's sister is so completely obnoxious. It boggles the mind that someone hasn't killed her by now. I have great difficulty understanding very much of what Shoshanna has to say. She rattles on so quickly, it sounds like a gun being fired in rapid succession. Why does Hannah insist on flaunting her less than perfect body in so many episodes. Hey, I don't look like a model either, but this is definitely not a case for "If you got it, flaunt it! If you don't have it, flaunt it anyway!" She's probably one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, but, please, Hannah, keep your clothes on...Marine does! And, I know Jessa has some life issues, but she is the most caustic, abrasive human being I've seen strutting her stuff. Again, how has this chick managed to avoid being slapped around like a red-headed step child? Patrick Wilson and Hannah? Are you kidding me? Well, that's Hollywood I guess. They need to have Adam's sister jump off a train track very, very soon. Where do they all get the money they need to survive in NYC? So many questions and not enough answers. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Diane Garrett
    Jan 15, 2014
    Overall, the season gets off to a very strong--and interesting--start. The writing is deepening along with the relationships depicted.
  2. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Girls was great last year. But this season it just got a little bit better.
    Four episodes in, and Girls is still packing tons of jaw-dropping, head-shaking, eyebrow-raising scenes into 30 minutes each Sunday night.