• Network: HBO
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 15, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
6.8

1. Apr 23, 2012
    There seems to be a kind of knee jerk response from critics to many HBO shows: they must be good because they are HBO. Meanwhile, as here, there is a definite disconnect between professional critics and viewers. My bias runs the other way.. Based on history -- The Sopranos, The Wire, Sex and the City, Curb your Enthusiasm, etc. -- I take a more "prove it" stance. I want HBO to prove itThere seems to be a kind of knee jerk response from critics to many HBO shows: they must be good because they are HBO. Meanwhile, as here, there is a definite disconnect between professional critics and viewers. My bias runs the other way.. Based on history -- The Sopranos, The Wire, Sex and the City, Curb your Enthusiasm, etc. -- I take a more "prove it" stance. I want HBO to prove it still has it. This is the cable network that set the bar after all. "Girls" is simply not up to standards. Watch the first scene again. If this were not HBO, and you hadn't been told by critics and others that it is fantastic, would you watch beyond that scene? Expand
  2. Apr 19, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of nepotism, but I'm fair and will give credit where credit is due. That said, there is very little credit due here. Just rich kids trying to feel something real, giving up and just faking it. A lot of critics will give a project credit because of its pedigree. It's called the Halo Effect, when something's value is raised just because of the hands that touched it.I'm not a big fan of nepotism, but I'm fair and will give credit where credit is due. That said, there is very little credit due here. Just rich kids trying to feel something real, giving up and just faking it. A lot of critics will give a project credit because of its pedigree. It's called the Halo Effect, when something's value is raised just because of the hands that touched it. That's happening here and people will continue to defend it for a while but as the viewers flee so will all support. It's technically polished but still just a fart in the wind. Expand
  3. Apr 23, 2012
    HBO should spare its subscribers! This meandering, rarely clever dramedy has clearly failed to catch on with viewers, just like Dunham's awful film (Tiny Furniture). Sometimes, critics (especially older ones) are so sheltered that anything representing a young lifestyle they're unaware of is suddenly considered brilliant. The world didn't need another Diablo Cody, yet here we are again.
  4. Apr 18, 2012
    This is legitimately one of the worst shows I have ever seen on television, and it frightens me that HBO would have this on their otherwise respectable network. I am in awe that Judd Apatow was involved with this, as he's usually hilarious. The acting is stale, the lead characters are privileged, dumb and annoying and there is scarcely any humour to the show. It's just about a pathetic,This is legitimately one of the worst shows I have ever seen on television, and it frightens me that HBO would have this on their otherwise respectable network. I am in awe that Judd Apatow was involved with this, as he's usually hilarious. The acting is stale, the lead characters are privileged, dumb and annoying and there is scarcely any humour to the show. It's just about a pathetic, whiny rich girl. If you think this is intelligent humour, you're probably the type of person who reads "Into Thin Air" and thinks they've climbed everest. Poor writing, poor acting, poor everything. This is extremely shallow, unintelligent, bland, repetitive crap. Stay away. Expand
  5. Apr 20, 2012
    The show is ok. Its a rip off between freaks and geeks and sex and the city.
    I do not think this will ever be an International sensation.
    It could turn out to be interesting but i am not really that into to go any further.
    The lead is annoying.
  6. Apr 22, 2012
    We're welcomed to the show with a run of the mill conversation between an average american brat and its unforgiving parents whom have suddenly decided to cut off life support rendering said brat to throw an inconclusive tantrum from which nothing is resolved, the title screen rolls 'GIRLS' and before any are formally introduced, we already find ourselves disliking them all.

A few awkward

A few awkward transitions later we're presented with a failed attempt of affection between two of what appears to be a triad of mentally stunted individuals under a single roof. Two of them deciding upon bathing mutually, likely to cut expenses that were forfeited to purchase a cupcake the more androgynous of the two engulfs while assuring the other that her boyfriend must have a vagina because he's chemically drawn to a **** who confirms to those watching she knows nothing of the opposite sex as she discusses men in an elementary fashion while she walks down the street with her equally confused sidekick.

Another awkward conversation follows between the seemingly clueless female and her boss as they discuss the potential of herself being officially hired by the company on a permanent basis, he proceeds to take a dump on the idea of her future opportunity and sends her on her merry way frowning like she just soiled her diaper we begin to feel an ounce of sympathy for the girl and pray to the conclusion that she'll finally get her **** together until we see her dwindle into the arms of a pimply white knight who knows exactly what to say to get her to remove her panties to silence their incompatibility and life confusions leaving a feeling of disgust inside our body as we're left to witness him take advantage of her reproductive orifice.

The camera shoots back to her apartment where her roomates are boring each other to death and cracking awkward jokes until ms. haven't a clue walks through the door apparently smelling of so much sex it overpowers the stale stench emitting from all currently known characters until we're treated to a bathroom **** fight between best friend and british newcomer which is just enough to get you half stiff until we find out one girl is already pregnant and ofcourse by accident because none of these girls have what it takes to even take care of a goldfish.

So, if you're interested in further speculation of twenty four year olds leeches who act they're four years old. I recommend you stay tuned.
  7. Apr 25, 2012
    For all the froth collecting around this show regarding its excessive nepotism, racial exclusiveness/insensitivity, sloppily uninspired and weird sex, etc., what really matters for a viewer in the end is that the show just isn't any good. The characters are uninteresting, not relateable; the script tries but isn't actually funny; the question you'll keep asking yourself over and over willFor all the froth collecting around this show regarding its excessive nepotism, racial exclusiveness/insensitivity, sloppily uninspired and weird sex, etc., what really matters for a viewer in the end is that the show just isn't any good. The characters are uninteresting, not relateable; the script tries but isn't actually funny; the question you'll keep asking yourself over and over will overwhelmingly be "Who cares?" Seriously, Who cares? I'm giving it a 1 for providing the service of helping to more easily identify really dumb people without having to seriously engage them ("Girls" fans are sort of like the people reading Thomas Friedman books on the subway... except dumber and more vapid). Expand
  8. May 16, 2012
    The clever dialogue is enough to keep me entertained, but the characters are so well crafted that I can't help but care deeply for them. I await each episode with great anticipation.
  9. May 29, 2012
    I found GIrls to be a refreshing comedy. The jokes are hilarious and scenes very real. Unlike several modern comedies, the characters feel very real, and relatable. The scenes can be very awkward - but don't leave me hiding under my cover in embarrassment.
  10. Apr 22, 2012
    WHY ON EARTH WOULD ANYONE WANT TO WATCH A SHOW ABOUT RICH SPOILED WHITE PEOPLE? NOTHING IS GOOD ABOUT THIS SHOW AND THE CRITICS ARE DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT'S GOOD OR BAD.
  11. Apr 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They should just title this show Sex and the City: Next Generation but that would insult the former show. What is it about a fantasy New York setting that captivates women to make them actually move to New York to try to create this fantasy that doesn't exist? Stay in the suburbs spoiled white women this is not the real New York. Sex and the City at least had likable characters. I was hoping all of them would get run over by a NYC taxicab. It is amazing how the 4 characters fit right into the Sex and the City stereotype characters. Oh the one that is a virgin is soooo Charlotte and so on. This is waste of earth resources. Expand
  12. Apr 15, 2012
    I usually hate and I mean passionately hate shows like this, however...This show lives up to it's hype. Thoughtfully written and the jokes vary from lighthearted to unexpectedly hilarious. Count me in for episode 2.
  13. Feb 17, 2013
    Over-rated self-conscious self-obsessed show about unsympathetic over-privileged girls. So what's to like? My god, these girls are in the 5% of the world and well into the 1% of the world. Why would anyone care about their whining?
  14. Jan 8, 2013
    This is an addendum to my previous review, which is stated far more elegantly than anything I said. It is by the author David Foster Wallace, who talks about the "shallow rebelliousness of TV. Irony and ridicule are effective and entertaining but are at the same time agents of a great despair and stasis..." The full quote is below. I find this show to be too ironic, too full of ridiculeThis is an addendum to my previous review, which is stated far more elegantly than anything I said. It is by the author David Foster Wallace, who talks about the "shallow rebelliousness of TV. Irony and ridicule are effective and entertaining but are at the same time agents of a great despair and stasis..." The full quote is below. I find this show to be too ironic, too full of ridicule and yet at the same time, totally static. ______________________

Wallace's fiction is often concerned with irony. His essay "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction",[33] originally published in the small-circulation Review of Contemporary Fiction in 1993, proposes that television has an ironic influence on fiction writing, and urges literary authors to eschew TV's shallow rebelliousness: "I want to convince you that irony, poker-faced silence, and fear of ridicule are distinctive of those features of contemporary U.S. culture (of which cutting-edge fiction is a part) that enjoy any significant relation to the television whose weird pretty hand has my generation by the throat. I'm going to argue that irony and ridicule are entertaining and effective, and that at the same time they are agents of a great despair and stasis in U.S. culture, and that for aspiring fictionists they pose terrifically vexing problems." Wallace used many forms of irony, but focused on individuals' continued longing for earnest, unselfconscious experience and communication in a media-saturated society.[34] Literary critic Adam Kirsch said that Wallace's "self-conscious earnestness" and "hostility to irony defined a literary generation
  15. May 9, 2012
    This is a tough show to love, but not easy to hate either. Yes, the characters do come off as spoiled babies for the most part, and their problems seem pretty shallow compared to what others in this country are going through right now. At the same time, I would be lying (and I think some of you other reviewers would be, too) if I didn't admit I see at least some of my own (unfortunate,This is a tough show to love, but not easy to hate either. Yes, the characters do come off as spoiled babies for the most part, and their problems seem pretty shallow compared to what others in this country are going through right now. At the same time, I would be lying (and I think some of you other reviewers would be, too) if I didn't admit I see at least some of my own (unfortunate, but still real) everyday shallowness within these characters. In that sense, it's hard for me to be too judgemental of them, lest I be a hypocrite. However, I would like to see these characters grow and become less shallow as their lives go on. Not that the (mostly) witty dialogue or smart situations need to change in the process, but I don't want to see characters a couple of seasons from now (if by some chance this show makes it that far) that are just as narcissistic as they are now. Overall, I think "Girls" has promise but is a long way off from being something great. Expand
  16. May 7, 2012
    Don't understand the recent backlash against this show. I wish I didn't have to compare it to Sex and the City, but all the critics already are. In short this show is for 20-somethings what Sex and the City tried to be for 30-something career women. Whats more, Girls seems to be attracting fans from both sexes, which I don't think you could claim about Sex and the City.

It's thoughtful

It's thoughtful and specific, it's seinfeldian in its quick discovery and interrogation of a world with completely new mannerisms - ones now found in the wild ubiquity of smart phones, laptops, mp3 players.

It also presents four very different, well-rounded, and interesting characters in believable situations. For all those who are immediately turned off by the critique that the show is "white people problems", I'd ask why you weren't talking about that when sex and the city was on. Next, I'll have some questions for you about any cop, doctor, or lawyer show you might watch (they inevitably feature lead characters who are just as white as those in Girls, but a lot more rich, judging by their apartments.

There is a totally different sociality which this generation interfaces with - it is tragedy and destabilizing anxiety that eventually leads to self criticism for feeling bad. A weird kind of neurosis in which you're unsure how to characterize the experience - am I sad? - have I a right to be sad? Even the feelings are afterthoughts. Girls is the first show I've seen to generate that in a pitch perfect way - the showender that was funny on its face, but for some reason, made you feel depressed and incapable as well.
  17. Apr 17, 2012
    Let's remember that a lot of people use their DVR and may not have watched this show on Sunday night but perhaps watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it on Monday night. This show is so funny! I really like the show. The girls are "real". Not everyone is a size 0 in the world nor does everyone have wealthy families that help them forever. I am really looking forward to the next episode.Let's remember that a lot of people use their DVR and may not have watched this show on Sunday night but perhaps watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it on Monday night. This show is so funny! I really like the show. The girls are "real". Not everyone is a size 0 in the world nor does everyone have wealthy families that help them forever. I am really looking forward to the next episode. I don't know where the 87 came from. I would definitely give it at least a 99. Expand
  18. May 6, 2012
    OMG I can not believe this show has such strong reviews. Plus it's not just on TV it's on HBO so it must be good. Well, it's not! I watched the first episode and didn't enjoy it at all. But it was highly rated and on HBO so I thought I would give it another chance. I then watched the second episode all the way through and that was it. I can take no more. There is nothing interesting aboutOMG I can not believe this show has such strong reviews. Plus it's not just on TV it's on HBO so it must be good. Well, it's not! I watched the first episode and didn't enjoy it at all. But it was highly rated and on HBO so I thought I would give it another chance. I then watched the second episode all the way through and that was it. I can take no more. There is nothing interesting about this show at all. At least from my point of view. Expand
  19. May 28, 2012
    Main characters are stupid and make pointless decisions and I don't care about them. They annoy me and I'm sure they will annoy most level headed people.
  20. Nov 30, 2012
    Intolerably bad. Seriously. I didn't just watch the first scene of episode 1 & get sick to my stomach either. I forced myself to watch the entire season & to remain "open minded". What a complete waste of time. I guess if you're into complete **** or if you're an old fogey that wants to live vicariously through these zero- dimensional characters, then have at it.
  21. Apr 16, 2012
    Like musiqfanatic, I was prepared to be strongly annoyed by the show - the lead character in particular. But the first episode won me over. There's an authentic, non-cliched feel to it. I'm looking forward to getting to know her and her circle of friends. One issue - I like Peter Scolari as her father, but her mother is a miss. I won't get specific as to the why - it's too harsh.
  22. Apr 23, 2012
    Ignore the nay-Sayers: "Girls" is brilliant and Lena Dunham is a major talent. Painfully, brutally honest and, above all, funny. You will see yourself somewhere in the first two episodes.
  23. May 31, 2012
    I wasn't expecting much when I began watching the first episode, but it took me by surprise. The writing is quite clever and I was really impressed by Lena Dunham who is not only the show's creator, but one of the main characters. She's witty, self-deprecating, and raw. As a New Yorker and someone who understands this generation, this show is a genuine portrayal of white, femaleI wasn't expecting much when I began watching the first episode, but it took me by surprise. The writing is quite clever and I was really impressed by Lena Dunham who is not only the show's creator, but one of the main characters. She's witty, self-deprecating, and raw. As a New Yorker and someone who understands this generation, this show is a genuine portrayal of white, female over-privilaged post-graduates. You sympathize with them and at the same time you cringe at them. Definitely give this show a go. Collapse
  24. Apr 29, 2012
    Girls is a triumph of excellent directing, memorable dialogue and characters who are as close to a realistic interpretation of many today's young adults as you're going to get on any TV show. The opening scene of the first episode sets the tone for the main character and the whole show; this is not a character designed to be "likable" or "relatable" to a large audience, it's a character toGirls is a triumph of excellent directing, memorable dialogue and characters who are as close to a realistic interpretation of many today's young adults as you're going to get on any TV show. The opening scene of the first episode sets the tone for the main character and the whole show; this is not a character designed to be "likable" or "relatable" to a large audience, it's a character to study and a character to laugh at. The amount of self-delusion, entitlement and awkwardness is a perfect recipe for comedic situations and dialogue on almost every front. Just from two episodes it's obvious HBO has hit the jackpot with this one. I'm just incredibly disappointed at the audience members who actually think a character being "unlikable" is a bad thing. Expand
  25. Jul 11, 2012
    Usually I pay metacritic's user score more heed than I do the actual critic score. This is because I find people obsessed with critic ratings to be the best critics out there. They know not to put all your eggs in the basket of one critic, but coming to metacritic also means they appreciate incite that critics offer. In the case of Girls, the metacritic user base has completely andUsually I pay metacritic's user score more heed than I do the actual critic score. This is because I find people obsessed with critic ratings to be the best critics out there. They know not to put all your eggs in the basket of one critic, but coming to metacritic also means they appreciate incite that critics offer. In the case of Girls, the metacritic user base has completely and utterly failed me. I have not seen such an innovative style for a show in a long time. The humor is wry and witty, while somehow managing to be equally vulgar. The issues and the characters feel real. I was not going to give this show a chance after I saw the extremely low Metacritic user score (at the time it was like 5.X), but my wife loved it, so I gave it a try. I'm really glad I did because it by far my favorite comedy of 2012. Expand
  26. Apr 24, 2012
    Let me just say, I love this show. Although there are only two episodes, this skilled ensemble has managed to be incredibly involving, funny, and surprisingly substantial- which many funny shows often forget to do. It is a brilliant commentary on the life of a middle-class girl trying navigate the struggle for independence in a time when a college degree is about as useful as, let's say, aLet me just say, I love this show. Although there are only two episodes, this skilled ensemble has managed to be incredibly involving, funny, and surprisingly substantial- which many funny shows often forget to do. It is a brilliant commentary on the life of a middle-class girl trying navigate the struggle for independence in a time when a college degree is about as useful as, let's say, a curling iron. I love the witty banter and utter lack of pretense. I hope that it only gets better, as I think it will! Expand
  27. Apr 22, 2012
    I first learned about this new TV show while watching an episode of Chelsea Lately, where Lena Dunham was the special guest on the show. I was intrigued by the way Chelsea Handler raved about this show that I decided to give it a try and watch it. From the beginning scene of the daughter and parents sitting at the dinner table, as the parents proceed to tell their daughter she's beingI first learned about this new TV show while watching an episode of Chelsea Lately, where Lena Dunham was the special guest on the show. I was intrigued by the way Chelsea Handler raved about this show that I decided to give it a try and watch it. From the beginning scene of the daughter and parents sitting at the dinner table, as the parents proceed to tell their daughter she's being financially cut off, I feel most 20 something year olds can relate very well to this scene. The writing on this show is one of a kind, yes this show is geared more towards woman, nevertheless this show has spunk, and I highly recommended it to my friends or to at least give it a try. Expand
  28. Apr 16, 2012
    Girls is a great work not only of television but of literature of the English language. While other TV shows portray young people as having lives of wealth, glamor, and hot sex, this series dares to display the painful economic and social realities of recent college graduates of 2012. It is easy to identify with and care about every character, even though some characters are indeedGirls is a great work not only of television but of literature of the English language. While other TV shows portray young people as having lives of wealth, glamor, and hot sex, this series dares to display the painful economic and social realities of recent college graduates of 2012. It is easy to identify with and care about every character, even though some characters are indeed harsh; Hannah's mother may seem cruel, but if my daughter were sitting in front of me, high on Opium, asking for $1100 per month, I would be harsh too. Where this show is really spot on is its portrayal of how young women view relationships with men; they complain about guys who are insensitive and uncaring, yet they sleep with these very men - then a woman who has a nice boyfriend jokes that "he has a vagina". Expand
  29. May 30, 2012
    This series is a must see for both young adults as well as parents. For once there is a show that actually shows how girls are for real. From trivial drama to life changing decisions, through trying so incredibly hard to please other people just to be loved and all that self obsessed me, me, me indulgence that most 20 somethings have to go through at some point in order to pass into adultThis series is a must see for both young adults as well as parents. For once there is a show that actually shows how girls are for real. From trivial drama to life changing decisions, through trying so incredibly hard to please other people just to be loved and all that self obsessed me, me, me indulgence that most 20 somethings have to go through at some point in order to pass into adult life, wiser and hopefully as a better person. It's witty, right to the point and very addictive, with characters that you love to hate and then love some more. And most of all; it sure is a breath of fresh air for all those girls and women out there trying to fit their feet in to Carries expensive uncomfortable shoes, thinking life is like "Sex and the City", when actually for most people, it is more like "Girls". Watch, and love! Expand
  30. Aug 22, 2013
    Intrigued by rave reviews and against my best judgement, I decided to give it a go. Turns out, this show is just as bad as I expected. The story revolves around four younger, poorer and charm-free versions of the notorious Sex & the City women.
    Said "girls" are depressed (and depressing) whiners, unable to earn a living and clueless about life and love. Granted we were probably behaving in a similar irrational way during our twenties, however, I do not watch TV shows to be reminded of the most difficult time of my life.
    The sex scenes are cringe-inducing. Probably more "realistic" than your average filmed, mainstream sex, but then again, who needs to witness so many scenes of humiliation and awkwardness?
    I can vaguely see the appeal for those in the same age-frame. I see none for everybody else. About the rave reviews… honestly no clue whatsoever how they got to be written.
  31. Feb 4, 2013
    Expanding my previous comment.... the only thing I`m assuming this show is liked for many critics is because shows the stupid that are white imbecile self entitled rich kids... Oh.. some kid is doing coke... oh... the not so atractive girl is naked.... this is the state in every art... put shocking things in your book/paint/sculpture/tv show and idiots will watched and claim that is theExpanding my previous comment.... the only thing I`m assuming this show is liked for many critics is because shows the stupid that are white imbecile self entitled rich kids... Oh.. some kid is doing coke... oh... the not so atractive girl is naked.... this is the state in every art... put shocking things in your book/paint/sculpture/tv show and idiots will watched and claim that is the best thing ever.... by the way... the music is horrible.. hipster crap.. Expand
  32. Apr 23, 2012
    I don't really understand why people are getting SO aggravated that some of these girls come from money, and depend on their parents. Like stated in other reviews here, there are moments where feeling sympathy for these girls can be hard, but this didn't bother me THAT much. While most people do not have constant financial support from their parents, people like this definitely exist.I don't really understand why people are getting SO aggravated that some of these girls come from money, and depend on their parents. Like stated in other reviews here, there are moments where feeling sympathy for these girls can be hard, but this didn't bother me THAT much. While most people do not have constant financial support from their parents, people like this definitely exist. And if you can't look past this, then don't watch the show. From the first episode, I can say that this is a well-made show with well-written characters. It kept me interested throughout most of the show, and is genuinely funny. By the end, I wanted to see what happened next. Expand
  33. Jun 18, 2012
    The amount of times I've been forced to watch The OC or Gossip Girls in my life makes me sick. I have found entertainment through the ridiculous and contrived situations on those shows like an episode of Jersey Shore. But now! Finally, a silly little show about boys and girls that is so entertaining and relateable I find myself ruminating on the situations of the characters for hoursThe amount of times I've been forced to watch The OC or Gossip Girls in my life makes me sick. I have found entertainment through the ridiculous and contrived situations on those shows like an episode of Jersey Shore. But now! Finally, a silly little show about boys and girls that is so entertaining and relateable I find myself ruminating on the situations of the characters for hours after. It's weird and I love it! Expand
  34. Jun 10, 2012
    It's so funny to read the negative user reviews for Girls - 'nepotism!' they cry, 'RICH SPOILT WHITE PEOPLE' they screech, 'HBO what have you done - have you gone mad?' they whine. Get a grip. This show is refreshing and brilliant and funny and edgy. Sure - the characters aren't all loveable and perfect all of the time - but then, who is? Anyone comparing this show to Sex & the City isIt's so funny to read the negative user reviews for Girls - 'nepotism!' they cry, 'RICH SPOILT WHITE PEOPLE' they screech, 'HBO what have you done - have you gone mad?' they whine. Get a grip. This show is refreshing and brilliant and funny and edgy. Sure - the characters aren't all loveable and perfect all of the time - but then, who is? Anyone comparing this show to Sex & the City is doing it a disservice - in SATC you have 4 one dimensional characters who you never believe could be friends in a real-life situation (they're so different to each other in such obvious ways that they wouldn't last a minute in each other's company), however, in GIRLS, the characters have real and complicated emotions, they are sometimes disloyal, they can be selfish and they make stupid decisions - but they can also be supportive and sweet and the kind of friend you would want to have on your side. All of the naysayers could be male because every female I know absolutely loves this show - perhaps seeing females as normal people who look like they forgot to shave their legs and may not have showered today turns their stomach a bit. If you are a fan of shows like Freaks & Geeks or the 'mumblecore' style of movie making, watch this. If you're not - steer clear or you will be outraged (read the red reviews for a comedic demonstration of utter indignation and unbounded fury). Expand
  35. Jun 14, 2012
    I started watching this show a few days back, just decided to give it a shot after such superb critical acclaim and a very shocking awful response by viewers which is something i hate because they love Gossip Girl and PLL but hate "One of the Best Comedy Show of all time" no kidding this show rocks. Lena Dunham is a real genius, very supremely talented, she created it, writes it, directedI started watching this show a few days back, just decided to give it a shot after such superb critical acclaim and a very shocking awful response by viewers which is something i hate because they love Gossip Girl and PLL but hate "One of the Best Comedy Show of all time" no kidding this show rocks. Lena Dunham is a real genius, very supremely talented, she created it, writes it, directed a few episodes and is a executive producer. HBO always comes up with great TV shows but this is something else, last year was Enlightened and now Girls. The very raw, raunchy, bold, dark and yet quite touching, funny and utterly lovable nature of this show makes it one of the best offerings. They aren't just rich and spoiled because they actually work, or on the verge of becoming responsible, this is based on actual realistic experiences and shows much closer the life of ordinary GIRLS in New York. A brilliant effort, i truly love this show and very happy for Lena Dunham. Expand
  36. Apr 28, 2012
    After two episodes although interesting I'm just not sure I can stay with it for much longer as the repetitiveness has already begun. I hope the brilliant writer, Lena Dunham, can continue to rip but I'm skeptical. Interesting show so far though.
  37. May 16, 2012
    For every positive review there is one that is absolutely scathing. I have never seen a such a divisive show! Personally, I adore 'Girls', and hope it continues to receive the critical acclaim it deserves. Lena Dunham has done a tremendous job for someone with such little experience. Bravo!
  38. May 18, 2012
    I started watching the show with very high expectations, and I was very disappointed. The characters are too shallow (read: spoiled little brats), and it seems to be nothing but a pathetic attempt at recreating Sex and the City with younger girls. I gave up after falling asleep during all 3 episodes I watched, and I could not put myself through any more. Woeful.
  39. Jun 4, 2012
    This is likely one of the worst shows on television. While the program certainly achieves its goal of presenting a painfully ironic collection of poorly behaved twenty-somethings, aside from a few scenes, it is hardly funny, regardless of one's comedic preferences. Although the show is undeniably well-produced in many respects, the acting ranges from mediocre to atrocious (For a salientThis is likely one of the worst shows on television. While the program certainly achieves its goal of presenting a painfully ironic collection of poorly behaved twenty-somethings, aside from a few scenes, it is hardly funny, regardless of one's comedic preferences. Although the show is undeniably well-produced in many respects, the acting ranges from mediocre to atrocious (For a salient example, see the opening scene of the first episode.). Naturally, the only one of the "girls" who appears to show any degree of consistent talent is the Jemima Kirke, who happens to be the show's only major actress devoid of superior cultural connections. Yet, the worst aspect of "Girls" is that is an enormous chore to watch. No, this is not because of its complexity or abstraction- in fact, there is little in the way of these elements- it's just the ubiquitous awareness of the viewer that the sources of show's plot line are infuriatingly petty. I might give some deference to Dunham's artistic intent, if I knew the writing here were mostly or completely satirical, but I'm almost absolutely certain that it is not. Having graduated from the same artsy liberal arts college (Oberlin) as Lena Dunham (In fact, though I didn't know her, my tenure overlaps with her own for a couple of years.), been a freelance artist for several years following my stay, and seen her god-awful film "Tiny Furniture," I can safely say that Dunham likely believes that her depiction of these caricatures of the most spoiled post-college "creative types" is insightful and compelling. Furthermore, and even more sickening, I believe Dunham, to some degree, is projecting herself in the nature and behavior of all of the major characters. And, I imagine should would readily admit this, too. Being constantly in contact with these sort of insufferable characters throughout my professional life, I thought TV could provide refuge from their vapidity. I was wrong. Expand
  40. Jun 18, 2012
    Possibly the worst show HBO has put on air. Not clever. Not insightful. Not funny. In the words of Peter Sellers, 'There's no there, there.' Haven't we had enjoy of privileged, young, Anglos gone wild in New York City see Felicity, Sex in the City, Gossip Girl. This is really the worst of the bunch. Quirkiness has to come naturally it can't be manufactured.
  41. Jul 9, 2012
    The show is just like the main actress: An Granade. It's the worst thing I ever saw.It's boring, most of the girls are very ungly, slow, not point and absolutely not funny at all.
  42. Jan 17, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I watched the first three episodes after seeing the Golden Globe awards. This show is not only bad but disturbingly bad. How interesting that the critics rate this higher than the users, just the opposite of the the uplifting and empowering film Cloud Atlas. This TV show reinforces the lowest expectations that a young person might have for love and romance, as do recent reports in the New York Times about "the end of courtship" and "an oil town where men are many and women are hounded." I don't care whether the characters are rich or poor, but how dispiriting that they demand so little respect for themselves, in relationships and at work.

*** SPOILER ALERT *** There is a lot of nudity and fairly explicit sex scenes, but so joyless! One character halfheartedly participates in fantasies of humiliating under-aged prostitutes, never comes herself, gets a disease, and begs for more. Another one is confronted by a guy who says he will "make you afraid the first time I f*ck you, because I'm a man and I know how to do things" -- and she finds this so exciting she has to run ... run!... back to work to masturbate. Everyone seems to be an unpaid intern or babysitter. Back in Cloud Atlas terms, Girls is a step toward a more barbaric society. There are many more uplifting ways to spend your time, including washing the kitchen floor.
  43. Feb 14, 2013
    I watched the entire first season of Girls to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After the final episode concluded I was left confused why so many critics gave this show glowing reviews. It has moments that are interesting, but they are maybe 2-3 minutes per episode in length. I also was unable to connect with any of the characters since the show did its best to make them all equallyI watched the entire first season of Girls to make sure I wasn't missing anything. After the final episode concluded I was left confused why so many critics gave this show glowing reviews. It has moments that are interesting, but they are maybe 2-3 minutes per episode in length. I also was unable to connect with any of the characters since the show did its best to make them all equally unlikable. For me, Girls is one of those shows where the numerous critics glowing praise was completely off base. Expand
  44. Sep 12, 2012
    I feel that I have to defend the show. Don't get me wrong I don't think it was the perfect start for a freshman series. It was very good, though. It showed how it feels to be young, confused, bold, dreamer, a failure, in love, and above all humane in the city that never sleeps in 2012 where everything is possible and thus in question. By the end of the season finale, I was quite impressedI feel that I have to defend the show. Don't get me wrong I don't think it was the perfect start for a freshman series. It was very good, though. It showed how it feels to be young, confused, bold, dreamer, a failure, in love, and above all humane in the city that never sleeps in 2012 where everything is possible and thus in question. By the end of the season finale, I was quite impressed by the universe Mrs. Dunham created and I anticipate the next season eagerly. P.S For those of you who think the protagonist is ugly well...It's not Sex And The City!!! Expand
  45. Jul 27, 2012
    It is subtly funny and audacious. When I watched the first episode, I wasn't that impressed, but it grew on me over time to the point where I actually looked forward to watching the newest episode. Jessa is the highlight.
  46. Sep 3, 2012
    OMG. How could the user reviews be so wrong? How can *The Wire*, with its droll attempt at reality, outrank this show with users? Bizarre. If you haven't seen this show, please try it out. It's so honest and likeable. I watched the whole first season over labor day weekend. My fav line: "I am 13 pounds overweight and it has been awful for me my whole life!" The show feels like an attemptOMG. How could the user reviews be so wrong? How can *The Wire*, with its droll attempt at reality, outrank this show with users? Bizarre. If you haven't seen this show, please try it out. It's so honest and likeable. I watched the whole first season over labor day weekend. My fav line: "I am 13 pounds overweight and it has been awful for me my whole life!" The show feels like an attempt to portray everything embarrassing about being a girl in her 20's, while somehow still finding acceptance and joy. Expand
  47. Nov 21, 2012
    It's a love-hate relationship with "Sex and the City" that Lena Dunham explores in "Girls". The thing is, yes, not everyone is Carrie from that show, but most people aren't Lena Dunham either which seems to be the thing the show forgets. Thankfully, the over-honesty is mostly endearing and Dunham is as likable as she could be playing what I'd assume is herself.
  48. Dec 23, 2012
    Remember the four Manhattan based women on Sex and the City? Splashing the cash to keep up with the fashion and attending NY's most glamorous parties? Forget them. Four girls in New York is where the similarities end. These girls live in Brooklyn, struggle to pay rent and are more likely to attend parties in warehouses.

Based on some of her own experiences, Lena Durham (who plays lead

Based on some of her own experiences, Lena Durham (who plays lead character Hannah) created and wrote the show, as well as directing five of the ten episodes. She deserves credit for writing such a fresh take on the 'girls story'. The girls in question are not always at their glamorous best, crude, promiscuous and are supported by a witty and often hilarious script. Their day to day issues are largely trivial, Hannah's parents cut her off financially, Marnie's boyfriend is too perfect, Shoshanna is a virgin and Jessa returns from travelling unhappy at adapting to the real world. Despite this, the script makes these trivial storylines more than amusing and the pure oddness of the supporting characters, mainly Adam (Adam Driver), really helps. One guy decides not have to have sex with Shoshanna when he discovers she's a virgin because "virgins get attached. Or they bleed.". To which she replies, "I'm a totally unattached bleeder". Chris O'Dowd makes a hilarious cameo in a later episode as a wealthy businessman who gets agonisingly close to having a ménage a trois with Jessa and Marnie, only for it to fall apart before his eyes and actually be more annoyed that the girls spilt wine onto his expensive rug.
  49. Nov 12, 2013
    Couldn't watch past the third episode. Vomit reasons. Not worth the other 100 characters.....................................................................
  50. May 19, 2012
    Why are the critics saying this is fantastic. From their perspective it might be challenging new boundaries in TV. For a viewer it's just hard work; you feel little empathy for any of the characters. It shows how sometimes critics are far removed from audiences.
  51. Jun 3, 2012
    Perhaps not for everyone, but this is one of the best and realest shows on TV. The acting is fantastic, the show is not glossy, there is not a thankfully not a laugh track, and even though the show is set in NYC, those who did not live in NYC will relate to at least parts of it. Many of us have fortunately or unfortunately known lots of girls just like these girls and Girls is highlyPerhaps not for everyone, but this is one of the best and realest shows on TV. The acting is fantastic, the show is not glossy, there is not a thankfully not a laugh track, and even though the show is set in NYC, those who did not live in NYC will relate to at least parts of it. Many of us have fortunately or unfortunately known lots of girls just like these girls and Girls is highly unafraid to show what we might not want to see, but we did see anyways. We could possibly live without seeing Lena Dunham naked, but then were we really all sleeping with supermodels in our mid 20's? Probably not. It takes a lot to really connect, but Girls does just that. The critics are right on this one. Expand
  52. Jun 4, 2012
    As a 20-something female I did connect with these characters friendship. This show is very 'raw' and I was a tad shocked by some of the scenes, but on reflection I actually think this was the main reason why I like the show. Developing into a self sufficient adult is a messy, gross and heart breaking time of life, so the show has done well to represent that. Hannah's character'sAs a 20-something female I did connect with these characters friendship. This show is very 'raw' and I was a tad shocked by some of the scenes, but on reflection I actually think this was the main reason why I like the show. Developing into a self sufficient adult is a messy, gross and heart breaking time of life, so the show has done well to represent that. Hannah's character's selfishness annoys me and I don't really like her very much. I didn't like Carrie Bradshaw much either so they must be mirrored in some way. It's different with good actors and a good base for growth so I have given it an 8. Expand
  53. Jun 5, 2012
    Instantly likeable show from the word go. Intelligently written, with a natural and dark sense of humour. Well acted by all cast members who seamlessly fit into their roles - notable performance by Lena Dunham (also the creator of the show) and Adam Driver.
  54. Jun 22, 2012
    What an amazing show!

Being a female in her mid 20's there wasn't one episode in it that I could not relate to or laugh at. Sometimes it was sad, sometimes hilarious, and always entertaining. My boyfriend loved this show just as much as I did and we absolutely loved the finale. This is refreshing to see the reality of being a girl in her early to mid 20's, almost like a Sex and the
    What an amazing show!

This is refreshing to see the reality of being a girl in her early to mid 20's, almost like a Sex and the City, with less glamour and more realistic scenarios.

From the struggles of finding yourself, finding a career, a relationship, friendship and gaining respect as an individual, they definitely have my life pinned down and will truly miss this show until Season 2 airs.
  55. Jun 25, 2012
    I absolutely fell in love with the first episode because its about a spoiled girl who wants to manipulate her way into getting her parents into supporting her at 24 yrs old. Just because she may be "a good girl" who finished college, has an intership, has not gotten pregnant, is not an addict, and loves her parents, does not mean she can live off them forever. Her father wants to protectI absolutely fell in love with the first episode because its about a spoiled girl who wants to manipulate her way into getting her parents into supporting her at 24 yrs old. Just because she may be "a good girl" who finished college, has an intership, has not gotten pregnant, is not an addict, and loves her parents, does not mean she can live off them forever. Her father wants to protect her and her mother does no longer want to have that responsibility. Its as real as it gets. Not your average comedy show more of "duh hahaha" Expand
  56. Jun 30, 2012
    The best thing that I can say about Girls is that it is genuinely funny. It's the antithesis and the facsimile of Sex and the City at the same time. It's Woody Allen meets Louie CK but with a vagina. Girls is a great piece of television.
  57. Jul 21, 2012
    There are definitely some funny moments in the first season of 'Girls' but they are fairly spread out throughout the 10 episodes. The first episodes are the funniest and, I think, most well-written. There are some unrealistic aspects of the main characters. Not much information is given that connects the 4 main girls together, because frankly it seems that they aren't all that amazingThere are definitely some funny moments in the first season of 'Girls' but they are fairly spread out throughout the 10 episodes. The first episodes are the funniest and, I think, most well-written. There are some unrealistic aspects of the main characters. Not much information is given that connects the 4 main girls together, because frankly it seems that they aren't all that amazing of friends. Allison Williams' portrays her character the best. Not to sound like an old geezer or anything, but I just feel like there were way too many (purposely) uncomfortable sex scenes to fit into a 30-min time-slot. They could of toned that down a lot and still have portrayed the sexual frustration and misunderstandings just fine. If they would've replaced some of those dragged-out scenes with more plain comedy or character-development, 'Girls' could have been golden. What I really enjoyed, however, was the "What Am I Going To Do With My Life" factor of the show. Lena Dunham portrays that life confusion in the writing very effectively, and it is a tad bit sobering at times. The serious aspects of the show and character portrayals are what make this show good. Comically speaking, episodes 2 & 3 are the funniest by far when displaying Hannah's (Dunham) fears about STDs. Dramatically speaking, episodes 6 & 7 are the best, displaying the confusion about life ahead. I definitely recommend, but it is not for everyone! Expand
  58. Jul 26, 2012
    Definitely a conversation worthy show for anyone in their 20s. As the season progresses the characters are easier to understand and are more sympathetic. Lena hits topics that no other writer on TV has hit. Hopefully this show does not become Bored to Death or even Eastbound as it is most likely this decade's Sex and the City.
  59. Nov 12, 2012
    In my opinion it takes some episodes to really appreciate this show but once you do you love it. It's like a mix between US tv series Sex&the city (but it's deeper and more interesting and realistic) and UK tv series Skins. Give it a shot
  60. Aug 25, 2012
    Pretty darn good, not newsroom quality but significantly better than most everything else on television/HBO right now, looking forward to a second season; have no idea where they are gonna go but will watch.
  61. Sep 8, 2012
    i thought this comedy was one of the best new shows of the season. im glad it got renewed. the only bad thing about Girls is the constant attention to Hannah (Lena Dunham). I want to know about the other characters not just her.
  62. Mar 20, 2013
    Go with the critics on this one; this is another superb show from the always reliable HBO. Lena Dunham has an incredible ear for realistic and interesting dialogue. That alone would be enough for me to watch, but where the show truly shines is in its characters. they are all so strange yet relatable, and frustrating but hopelessly sympathetic. 9.5/10
  63. Jan 27, 2013
    I was apprehensive when I first started watching "Girls", but as the season progressed I became increasingly intrigued by the show, and after finishing the 1st season I realize how good it really was. Some other users have complained about it "not being up to HBO standards", but I believe in all its simplicity it actually shines by being completely straightforward, not hiding anything inI was apprehensive when I first started watching "Girls", but as the season progressed I became increasingly intrigued by the show, and after finishing the 1st season I realize how good it really was. Some other users have complained about it "not being up to HBO standards", but I believe in all its simplicity it actually shines by being completely straightforward, not hiding anything in it's depiction of a group of mid 20s girls living a glamour-less New York lifestyle. Expand
  64. Mar 10, 2013
    This is a brilliant show, well deserving of its critical acclaim. Of course you will always have the simpletons who don't "get" shows unless they're completely dumbed down, like 2 Broke Girls or Grey's Anatomy. For those of us who appreciate something edgy, smart, funny unique, this show is fantastic. Something I read online that rings so true: "People are understandably envious ofThis is a brilliant show, well deserving of its critical acclaim. Of course you will always have the simpletons who don't "get" shows unless they're completely dumbed down, like 2 Broke Girls or Grey's Anatomy. For those of us who appreciate something edgy, smart, funny unique, this show is fantastic. Something I read online that rings so true: "People are understandably envious of Dunham's success. Hell, I know I am! But she is successful and the show is successful because she is cool as hell. She is funny, insightful, and most of all, devastatingly honest. She lets it ALL hang out there. It's not narcissism. It's art. And the fact that we're even having this discussion is proof that she is a genius. Good art makes you think about things. Dunham makes us think. She makes us laugh. And she entertains us. What's not to love?"

Lena is brilliant fantastic I hope the show has many more seasons on HBO!
  65. Mar 20, 2013
    At first I thought this was going to be stupid. I'm usually like that with the pilot of any new show, so I said well let me watch the next episode and its kinda funny to me. *shrugz*
  66. Mar 29, 2013
    I think this show is just a Lena Dunham vanity project. It's self indulgent and certainly not a reflection of reality for young people, as others suggest. It's about poor little privileged girls, living the hipster lifestyle and not being particularly funny or interesting. I also find it quite odd that it's completely white washed when it's supposedly set in New York City which happens toI think this show is just a Lena Dunham vanity project. It's self indulgent and certainly not a reflection of reality for young people, as others suggest. It's about poor little privileged girls, living the hipster lifestyle and not being particularly funny or interesting. I also find it quite odd that it's completely white washed when it's supposedly set in New York City which happens to be one of the most diverse places in America, let alone Brooklyn. I mean, even the background actors are all white. I think the alleged feminism is also very misguided. Expand
  67. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show surprised me. The writing is snarky, funny, occasionally emotional, and very real. The portrayal of the characters is not entirely sympathetic. Yes, they are whiny, self-absorbed daddy's girls sometimes, but they are also caring, sensitive, and thoughtful. This is a very introspective portrait of the millennial generation: often maligned and misunderstood, over-educated and under-employed, feeling always in transition because they never seem to be doing what they pictured themselves doing as adults when they were 16. I relate to this show not because I live in New York, but because I identify with the struggle of the protagonists. I understand what it's like to be between jobs, to get pressure from parents to just "get a job", to not know what I want to do "when I grow up".
    In addition, Girls is possibly the most feminist series I have ever watched. While Sex and the City was overly focused on superficiality and consumerism, Girls deals with real, messed-up human beings, and all the trouble and baggage that comes with them. Their lives do not revolve around their significant others, and they talk to each other about things like STDs, abortion, gay rights, racism and unemployment. That alone is a feat, given that most female-driven series are overly focused on getting a man and keeping him around. These women feel like real people that I know. Hannah especially is a relatable character because she is possibly the first average-looking body I have ever seen on television. But she owns her body. She traipses around New York in short shorts ("one could go their whole life wearing short shorts and offend almost no one") and dresses without a care in the world. She stress eats, which everyone does once in a blue moon and nobody admits to. In the way it deals with body image alone, Girls is high on my list of feminist dramedy. My boyfriend watches this show with me and is also addicted to it.

A+++++
  68. Aug 14, 2013
    While Girls is pretty humorous at times, clever during others, and occasionally emotionally involving, it's far too sympathetic toward its selfish, self involved characters.
    The first episode showed great amounts of potential, and it does live up to part of that potential, but later down the line (especially during the second season), it's far to difficult to care any which way for our main characters along with her friends because, in all honesty, the show actually expects us to sympathize with them.
    There's nothing wrong with featuring a cast of spoiled, selfish, self involved characters. Arrested Development did that with glorious results. The downfall in Girls comes in the fact that we're actually expected to sympathize with these character's trivialities, which is a real shame.
    I will say though, that this show is very realistic, more than one might expect, and it doesn't ever become overly sappy, which makes it worth while.
  69. Jan 11, 2014
    Really funny and believable, though it seems as if Lena Dunham is in love with herself, especially towards the season's end. There's reason to like or dislike characters and that's all part of the charm due to the realism. Many odd moments will occur throughout the show and will show off some of those embarrassing feelings which you have kept hidden inside of you, that alone is a goodReally funny and believable, though it seems as if Lena Dunham is in love with herself, especially towards the season's end. There's reason to like or dislike characters and that's all part of the charm due to the realism. Many odd moments will occur throughout the show and will show off some of those embarrassing feelings which you have kept hidden inside of you, that alone is a good reason to watch. Expand
  70. Feb 3, 2014
    Not everyone's cup of tea to put it lightly, Lena Dunham's, "Girls" may come off as overly sympathetic to its at times obnoxious and self-indulgent cast however, there is no denying the humorous and clever dialogue that exists. The whole concept of such dislikable characters is intentionally done and the actual charm of the show providing a realistic outlook of your typical irrationalNot everyone's cup of tea to put it lightly, Lena Dunham's, "Girls" may come off as overly sympathetic to its at times obnoxious and self-indulgent cast however, there is no denying the humorous and clever dialogue that exists. The whole concept of such dislikable characters is intentionally done and the actual charm of the show providing a realistic outlook of your typical irrational young-adult acting like a monkey. It in the end works for me. Expand
  71. Jan 24, 2014
    Why are the majority of these characters Jewish? Adam's sister is so completely obnoxious. It boggles the mind that someone hasn't killed her by now. I have great difficulty understanding very much of what Shoshanna has to say. She rattles on so quickly, it sounds like a gun being fired in rapid succession. Why does Hannah insist on flaunting her less than perfect body in so manyWhy are the majority of these characters Jewish? Adam's sister is so completely obnoxious. It boggles the mind that someone hasn't killed her by now. I have great difficulty understanding very much of what Shoshanna has to say. She rattles on so quickly, it sounds like a gun being fired in rapid succession. Why does Hannah insist on flaunting her less than perfect body in so many episodes. Hey, I don't look like a model either, but this is definitely not a case for "If you got it, flaunt it! If you don't have it, flaunt it anyway!" She's probably one of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet, but, please, Hannah, keep your clothes on...Marine does! And, I know Jessa has some life issues, but she is the most caustic, abrasive human being I've seen strutting her stuff. Again, how has this chick managed to avoid being slapped around like a red-headed step child? Patrick Wilson and Hannah? Are you kidding me? Well, that's Hollywood I guess. They need to have Adam's sister jump off a train track very, very soon. Where do they all get the money they need to survive in NYC? So many questions and not enough answers. Expand
  72. Aug 21, 2014
    this show is not worth typing the 120 minimum words. Let me start of by saying that, this show is incredibly hard to watch due to how unlikeable all the characters are, starting by hanna.

1. Reviewed by: Diane Garrett
    Jan 15, 2014
    Overall, the season gets off to a very strong--and interesting--start. The writing is deepening along with the relationships depicted.
  2. Reviewed by: Bruce Miller
    May 29, 2013
    Girls was great last year. But this season it just got a little bit better.
    Four episodes in, and Girls is still packing tons of jaw-dropping, head-shaking, eyebrow-raising scenes into 30 minutes each Sunday night.