Grey Gardens

• Series Premiere Date: Apr 18, 2009
8.6

1. EllenK
    Apr 27, 2009
    I was too busy living my own life in performance (first female radio talk show with daily call in show in Miami and Boston 1971-72) when all this happened to pay much note of the real story. However, Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange certainly captured the true essence of these two fascinating and provocative women. As the film progressed, I began to remember the story in all of its sordid I was too busy living my own life in performance (first female radio talk show with daily call in show in Miami and Boston 1971-72) when all this happened to pay much note of the real story. However, Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange certainly captured the true essence of these two fascinating and provocative women. As the film progressed, I began to remember the story in all of its sordid details. I hope the "square-off" in the Best Actress Category for the Emmys results in a tie between the two of them, and awards for both of them. I give this HBO program an "A" on Ellen's Entertainment Report Card. Expand
  2. ArmondA
    Apr 20, 2009
    Having seen the original documentary film on which this docudrama is based I was left with a number of questions about the story surrounding the narrow time frame presented to us. After watching HBO's production last night my itch of curiosity felt well-scratched. As others have noted, the production values were excellent and the acting ranged from acceptable to astonishing. Drew Having seen the original documentary film on which this docudrama is based I was left with a number of questions about the story surrounding the narrow time frame presented to us. After watching HBO's production last night my itch of curiosity felt well-scratched. As others have noted, the production values were excellent and the acting ranged from acceptable to astonishing. Drew Barrymore's Little Edie impression was sometimes dead on and sometimes spoiled by personal mannerisms. Jessica Lange's work was terrific. A film like this shouldn't have an "ending", in the conventional sense of "wrap up" or "resolution", and the attempt to tack one on to this sad, grinding tale of human deterioration and decay seems unnecessary and insulting. So too is the heavily dramatic background music that moves right into the foreground as we head into the final scenes in the grand old family mansion. But rather than close this little comment on a sour note, let me again emphasize that the film does a fine job for those of us who've long been interested in this dark and strange true-life riches-to-rags story of squandered privilege. And compared to the MUSICAL!? that was based on the same original material...one could hardly call this straight dramatic version EXPLOITATIVE. Expand
  3. RayG
    Apr 23, 2009
    Awesome. Should have been released to the theaters.
  4. jr
    Apr 20, 2009
    Drew and jessica brought a depth and sadness to these women that was truly moving. when you imitate someone who is for some considered an icon, there is bound to be someone else who measures you accordingly. i want to say thank you to jessica and drew for being brave enough to tackle my favorite recluses.
  5. NerijusD
    Jun 7, 2009
    Brilliant, moving, true to the original documentary.
  6. DeWayneG
    Apr 21, 2009
    This is the perfect and necessary companion piece to the Maysles brothers
  7. Sep 1, 2014
    Grey Gardens is truly special. And the film wouldn't be nearly as special without Jessica Lange or Drew Barrymore. It's a pleasant retelling of Kennedy's cousins.

1. Jessica Lange brings typically impressive textures to Big Edie. And just wait till you see Drew Barrymore, as Little Edie, deliver the doc's most famous line, ''This is the best costume for today.'' She's a dead ringer for the real thing.
  2. The original documentary may have been predatory, but it captured something powerful, the face of failed optimism, the many meanings of the word “spoiled.” Sometimes it’s better to let strange be strange.
    Grey Gardens is thoughtful and swank but ultimately mediocre. Two actresses in top form are required to put this story across.