Halt and Catch Fire : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jun 1, 2014
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
8.4

1. Jun 8, 2014
    This feels like the one. As soon as i saw Scoot McNairy's smirk after he inspects the armadillo mashed into the front of his Ferrari's grill, i new this was the slick arrogant smarm of the 80's businessman t.v. is so tragically missing. Watch this one take off. Its going to be great.
  2. Jun 18, 2014
    AMC is in perfect form with this techno-thriller. Interesting and original characters and a compelling story....seriously what more can you ask for? Not much needs to be said for this show, check it out and you will not be disappointed. I seriously never write reviews for TV shows but this one is pretty great.
  3. Jul 22, 2014
    Show has a great cast, good writing and an interesting story especially if you are interested in the technology industry and how ruthless it is. I see the self appointed professional critics reviews and wonder why they bother. I watch a lot of TV and I know bad television, this is not it. I actually find this show way more interesting than mad men though mad men does have its moments ofShow has a great cast, good writing and an interesting story especially if you are interested in the technology industry and how ruthless it is. I see the self appointed professional critics reviews and wonder why they bother. I watch a lot of TV and I know bad television, this is not it. I actually find this show way more interesting than mad men though mad men does have its moments of brilliance. I hope it succeed and the writing and story stays good over time. Expand
  4. Dec 17, 2014
    The performance of Lee Pace as Joe is magnificent, you can understand the character even if sometimes the you are loving or hating him! A very well written show with great potential ahead!
  5. Jun 24, 2014
    Show is so close to being perfect just needs to tighten up some stories and make the characters around Joe more combative instead of in shock most of the time.
  6. Jul 9, 2014
    the first time i saw it i thought a who cares it's going to be similar to mad men but such good acting that mad me change my mind. the way the actors show their emotions are genuine not like other shows that try to ripoff a good show but end up making a disaster
  7. Jul 21, 2014
    This is a fantastic show. I was a part of the computer revolution in the early 1980's, and this brings back many memories to me. I strongly recommend this show to anyone who is a techy and remembers when the computer industry was in it's infancy. The show incorporates some personal stuff into the story, but I suppose that has to be done in this day and age. I will be greatlyThis is a fantastic show. I was a part of the computer revolution in the early 1980's, and this brings back many memories to me. I strongly recommend this show to anyone who is a techy and remembers when the computer industry was in it's infancy. The show incorporates some personal stuff into the story, but I suppose that has to be done in this day and age. I will be greatly disappointed if AMC does not pick this show up for Season 2. It's a winner. Expand
  8. Jul 22, 2014
    I wanted to wait until I have seen a few show to write a review on this series. I have seen 7 episodes. Going into the series not sure how they were going to approach the topic. I thought this is an interesting time for PCs and the market.

I will say that this show is wonderful. The acting is great and the story is intriguing and engaging. I did not watch Mad Men, but did watch Breaking Bad. Breaking bad is on a level all it's own and a handful of shows are on that level. I would say that this show is on the level right below that.

The writing is great and the attention to detail to the technical side is spot on. They nailed the font style for the PCs for that era. I would recommend this to anyone who deals with computers and for anyone who is not tech savvy.
  9. Jun 30, 2015
    Season 1 had a very strong cast and a solid story that gave a keen and intense insight to the computer boom of the early-mid 1980's. The season finale took a bit of a nosedive almost as if it was meant to be a miniseries. I'm glad it was renewed though, it's a great AMC original that deserves more viewers.
  10. Jul 29, 2014
    This show keeps getting better and better with each new episode. Do not watch this show expecting it to be factually based. It's good fiction and with enough facts thrown in to keep credible. The character development becomes more and more interesting with each episode and the computer's development gives you a perspective of "what if there had really been a developer like Cardiff at the time?"
  11. Feb 18, 2015
    I like the ensemble casts. I love the whole characters in the show. Its more interesting than Fargo because the idea of its computer war era, its really fresh for me. But, the result of last episode was really hard for me to know what exactly the series wants from Joe to achieve.
    I'm really glad they renew the series because it will be so a big loss to let down this great character of Joe MacMillan, because we thought we knew what Joe wants from the beginning, but in the ending, I was amazed how it turns out. Like, "Not even close?" I wish I knew what this PC revolution was really about.
    I mean, the problem of this series for me is too many depressions. Which is kind of attractive, but to build a teamwork and great company with it? I was worried they will go to no where. I was worried if they put the same plot with the first series.
    I like Donna Clark's character, she's smart and her husband was so weird. I want to know her more. She needs to lead several episodes in the future.
    And, I want to know much more about computer on this series. Computer is not just about laptop.
  12. Jul 25, 2014
    Show is really enjoyable. I think it just needed a few episodes to get the characters lined out Now that that's done, the show should take right off. Better get a renewal!
  13. Jun 1, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the comparisons to Mad Men aren't exactly there, this show seems determined to make it's own path by exploring the early days of the personal computer boom in 1980's texas and by showing these three desperate characters making it much more personal.
    Joe Macmillan seems to be the lead star with the almost Patrick Bateman-esque bad boy charisma.

The only real fault of the show so far is rushing through some of the technical details like in the montage in Gordon Clark's house when they are taking apart an IMB computer.
  14. Aug 22, 2014
    Heartless and dull.

You keep waiting for the characters to do something meaningful, anything that matters really, and they never do.

I watched the entire season and don't care to have any of those people back in my home ever again.
  15. Jun 2, 2014
    It might not end up being as good as Mad Men or Breaking Bad but it sure is promising. As far as prestige dramas on TV this is the most compelling new show to come around in ages.
  16. Jun 21, 2014
    I really wanted to like this show. I was a part of the period it depicts and it was a fun, crazy time when technology - especially hardware - was exploding. Everywhere you looked (in Silicon Valley) someone was doing something really, really cool.
    The 1st episode was decent, though the characters were WAAAAY too cliche, so I was wary. But it wasn't so bad I'd stop watching, so I kept on with it.
    Then, in episode 2, when the hacker chick rants about a 16 bit bus and a photo-realistic screen, I turned it off, and I'm done.
    I get it that this is TV, and it's a fictionalized version of things. I get it that it's targeted toward today's audience. But the writing is horrible:
    1) In the early '80s, there were no female programmers, let alone homeless ones who were as hot as Mary Stuart Masterson in "Some Kind of Wonderful".
    2) No one hooked up the way she and "Steve Jobs" did.
    3) No one demanded 16 bits. We were all too busy trying to get 8 bit to work.
    4) No one used the term "photo-realistic". Character-based screens were the norm, CGA was cutting edge, and the original Mac's graphical UI was mind-blowing.
    So, by dropping a 2014 femaie-cliche into a 1984 period piece, they've made it simply unwatchable. Very sad.
  17. Jul 8, 2014
    This show is a great idea, but it falls flat in execution. The plot takes the backseat in every scene with computers and computer parts looming in the background, while the focus is on the characters and their interactions. The office dynamics are vaguely like AMC's Mad Men. Unfortunately, Halt and Catch Fire fails to flesh out characters or believable scenarios.
    Joe MacMillan is
    Joe MacMillan is intended to be charming and mysterious, a Don Draper style protagonist, with a checkered past, but he's more like a psych patient in a suit with a nice car. It's unimpressive how he somehow outsmarts all the executives of a small Texan tech company, who prove guileless and unworthy adversaries, who answer his antics with brute force, a southern cliche stolen from Roger Rabbit. He yells, breaks things, burns hard-earned albeit illegal data, hits women, sleeps with employees, and plays in the rain to amuse children. His actions get attention, but where's the leadership we'd expect from a visionary? Why do they need him?
    The female protagonist, Cameron Howe has a "Girl with a Dragon Tattoo"/Hackers vibe, but she doesn't make sense. How does a homeless punk rocker know how to write code in a world where the home PC doesn't exist? Either way, her lack of depth is disappointing, considering she's supposed to be a prized prodigy that masterminds innovative software. Instead of being interesting, deep and broken, she's whiny and indecisive. Daddy issues and middle school antics, like calling her boyfriend and hanging up, don't add to her tough girl mystique. Not going with IBM or calling out Joe's father are the exciting derisive maneuvers you'd expect from a person of strong principle or loyalty, and neither make sense considering her relationship with Joe, so her actions come across as unstable and boring rather than purposeful and defining. She's an embarrassing sci-fi fantasy, who is thankfully pretty enough to be terrible.
    The same is true for Donna Clark, the hot nagging wife, who is also a genius computer whiz.. She's Cameron's foil, in that she's the mother if Cameron's the child. Donna judges her for her lack of self-respect, while offering everything Cameron appears to long for, to be domesticated by a nerdy alcoholic that never does the dishes. Does it make sense that someone so wrapped in the lives or her children would hand them over after being so harshly critical of Cameron's lack of good judgment? There is no more depth to Donna than Cameron, and their juxtaposition is a Betty Friedan nightmare, where women can either be homeless or home.
  18. Aug 7, 2014
    With this show, AMC had a carefully crafted plan to make something original, edgy and smart, to replace the departed Mad Men, and thus maintaining it's shaky orbit among the purveyors of quality TV.
    This plan failed miserably.
    Sadly, I wanted it to succeed! It seemed a bold and interesting premise, I love Lee Pace and the 80s... Bring it on I thought, what could go wrong. Bad writing
    This plan failed miserably.
    Bad writing that's what! Lazy plotlines and terrible one-dimensional characters rendered by possibly not very good actors.. Not you Lee you're fine.
    Each character is a gear in an mechanic that goes nowhere, very slowly. Leaving you to contemplate the painful clicks leading to the predictable conclusion.
    Oh and Mackenzie Davis, I don't even know what to say, maybe stop acting? There are other trades, she's still young! To her defense her character is awful.
    The diamond in the mud here is Kerry Bishe, she's a damn fine actress and her character is the less predictable, thus making each of her scene a breath of fresh air in an otherwise stale atmosphere.
    Lee Pace is doing what he can, but he's overdoing it a lot at times, and all that flamboyance seems incongruous amidst the general mediocrity of the plot. Like a bang in an otherwise boring party that makes everybody uncomfortable and eager to go home. Clearly he deserves a better show than this to be the vehicle of his gorgeous bushy eyebrows.
    But no, there will not be a great show about 80s computer manufacturers, it was not meant to exist.
    This is the worst possible timeline, no doubt in my mind now.
  19. Aug 9, 2015
    The subject and period recreation are simply irresistible to me. The cast and main characters are abhorrent ruining the chance for what could have been a much better show. First season was a 4, second season is better at maybe a 7.
  20. Jul 8, 2014
    Show was hanging by a thread in the first three episodes. The baffling events of episode 3 made me literally turn it off 3/4 of the way into it. Boring, uninteresting characters with almost no resemblance to reality. A shame considering how much I really wanted to like this show.
  21. Aug 4, 2014
    Halt and Catch Fire fails to measure up to Mad Men. It lacks the substance and longing. No one has much nostalgic affection for 5 1/4" disks, dot matrix printers and Lotus 123. Mad Men was inherently atmospheric and enigmatic, set in a trans-formative decade. H&CF attempts to trick us into believing the same. At best, the show is a crafty experiment, perhaps an executive wager: let's takeHalt and Catch Fire fails to measure up to Mad Men. It lacks the substance and longing. No one has much nostalgic affection for 5 1/4" disks, dot matrix printers and Lotus 123. Mad Men was inherently atmospheric and enigmatic, set in a trans-formative decade. H&CF attempts to trick us into believing the same. At best, the show is a crafty experiment, perhaps an executive wager: let's take a weak premise and infuse it with high production values and an ever-so-trendy gloomy narrative drag. At it's core Mad Men was driven by a melancholy angst-ridden emptiness. Halt is simply a barren riff on Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak and Courtney Love assembling a Compaq Portable. Expand
  22. Jun 6, 2015
    Yep, it's a great show! Great story, cast, cinematography, score etc.... one of the best series on! Hopefully, the network realizes this and green lights more seasons! Anyone giving this a negative rating has an agenda, must be working for a different network or something...
  23. May 14, 2015
    My computer experience as a technical writer who had to document all those last-minute changes the software engineers kept coming up with goes back to 1984. Not mentioned in 10 episodes of Halt and Catch Fire is the UNIX operating system, already widely in use in industry. Basic is the only operating system mentioned in the series, as well as Cameron’s (Mackenzie Davis) crazy idea to haveMy computer experience as a technical writer who had to document all those last-minute changes the software engineers kept coming up with goes back to 1984. Not mentioned in 10 episodes of Halt and Catch Fire is the UNIX operating system, already widely in use in industry. Basic is the only operating system mentioned in the series, as well as Cameron’s (Mackenzie Davis) crazy idea to have an interactive operating system with questions that are more appropriate for a video game.

When I worked for AT&T, by late 1988, we were hyped up for the Graphical User Interface race. Abbreviated as GUI, pronounced goo-ey, it was the interface between the operating system’s prompt and cryptic commands (in UNIX, ls meant “list files”). AT&T was going to market with OPEN LOOK, hoping to beat IBM’s bid for the GUI market with Motif. If you never heard of either of these, there’s a good reason. They both failed miserably because the GUI race was won by a product now a household name, i.e., Microsoft Windows.

Ah, yes, remember when emailing someone outside the building meant you had to list every computer the email would pass through? Each computer name was separated by an exclamation mark, called a “bang.” And every company had a different system for naming their computers; it could be anything—fruits, cars, or cartoons. So an email address read out loud was something like cadillac-bang-banana-bang-pebbles-bang, and finally the login name.

It’s all history now. Some of this history is faithfully recorded in Halt and Catch Fire, and some of it is slightly exaggerated. Product managers have power but not as much as Joe MacMillan (Lee Pace). And genius programmers like Cameron could write their own ticket to some extent, but if they tried to take over with an idea that did not have VP approval, they would get fired. Young talent was everywhere. It was a conservative industry; no one was having highly public affairs such as the one between Joe and Cameron. They were mostly married. But depicting the blood, sweat and tears of programming deadlines, innovative feats of hardware construction, shipping dates, sales conferences, and finally the reviews in Byte can only produce so much drama. When you lived it, it was still a fairly ho-hum corporate world, so Joe, Cameron, Gordon (Scoot McNairy) and Donna (Kerry Bishé) have to have other crises and dilemmas—affairs, betrayals, crimes, traumatic childhoods, maverick tendencies, and daddy issues—it makes everything more interesting.

But as a purist, I find it most interesting when Halt and Catch Fire faithfully depicts the history of an industry that changed the world after breakfast, over lunch, and between coffee breaks.
  24. Aug 29, 2014
    Entertaining. There's a lot to tap in to during this time period. Love how open the possibilities felt at the time.

It does feel like they stretched some of the episodes for content. I'd expect them to do that during a later season, but they should really try to get the density up even more during the next season.

Could be an extremely exciting series.
  25. Aug 13, 2014
    This show is good, I don't care what the critics say. I really hope it gets renewed cus viewership has been kind of low.

First I like the unique setting. How many shows are about the 1980s at all, let alone the computer business in any era? TV is littered with cop dramas and angsty romantic comedies, and now the new wave of fantasy and zombies, Halt is a really refreshing change up. Although it's nothing like Mad Men, the uniqueness is similar in that both explore a time period and field that no other show really does.

Second the acting is really good, outside of Cameron. For some reason I think she comes across as super moody and not realistic. She seems shallow to me, she's so obsessed with making a perfect computer experience I feel like the writers have to kind of push her to be extreme to make the show go certain places. It just doesn't feel quite natural. But every other actor does a stellar job. Donna is amazing as the conflicted wife. Bosworth is a very compelling figure, torn between the new generation's way of thinking and progressing to the future and the old guard that he is part of.

I don't really see any major plot holes although a few things that happen seem a little far fetched like how quickly they complete certain tasks for one. But otherwise the story never really dragged and had plenty of twists without feeling like the writers were reaching for anything. In all it's a great show I hope more people check out.
  26. Jun 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this show. Very smartly written and well acted. We've seen charming, ruthless characters like Joe Macmillan before, but he takes it to a whole new level. He will stop at nothing to win -- even seducing the husband of a potential investor to torpedo an unfavorable deal. (Many commenters misunderstood that scene. It wasn't about sex, it was about power and control.) I think the setting in Texas 1983 gives the subject matter a fresh spin. I even downloaded the soundtrack. Expand
  27. Jul 11, 2014
    I'm a big fan of this show. It does a great job capturing both the corporate dynamic and the techie frustrations on a large-scale project. My only criticism would be the tendency to jump time-frames between episodes with little explanation. Probably my favorite new show for 2014.
  28. Jul 29, 2014
    Halt and Catch Fire takes a small group of people who are all profoundly driven, obsessed, and passionate about the future potential of computers, and sets them about the task of creating a machine from scratch - a goal, which, at the time, (early 80's) seemed impossible next to the market control of corporate giants like IBM.

This setting is unusual for a television drama, and is

This setting is unusual for a television drama, and is engaging enough in its own terms, but its actually not the unusual setting that make this show so watchable; its the deeply interesting characters and the rich dynamics between them that really makes it great viewing.

The core character is 'visionary', Joe, a man with absolutely no moral or ethical compass - only an unstoppable drive to succeed at any cost. The people unlucky enough to be caught up with him in his mission to make a new pc are consistently at various stages of dissolution, coping with the ongoing aftermath of his wholly egotistical and single-minded goal.

The interplay between the people caught up as staff working under Joe is often subtle, but riveting viewing. Definitely worth a look, not only for its unique setting, but for the rich interplay between its dark, complex, and intriguing characters. Im up to ep 7 of season 1 and totally hooked. This one's a must-see IMO.
  29. Jul 31, 2014
    Halt and Catch Fire is better than most shows on television. It is a little disconcerting that it appears to be absolutely necessary to show many moments of "quickie" sex in the work place to really make this show work. However, with this one exception keeping the show from getting a perfect score, it does not change the fact that the actors appear to do a wonderful job demonstratingHalt and Catch Fire is better than most shows on television. It is a little disconcerting that it appears to be absolutely necessary to show many moments of "quickie" sex in the work place to really make this show work. However, with this one exception keeping the show from getting a perfect score, it does not change the fact that the actors appear to do a wonderful job demonstrating realistic real world work scenes with believable conclusions. Add to this fact that the show deals with high IQ material, and you get the point. You could watch Dallas and see a depiction of rich people throwing alcoholic drink shot glasses at each others' heads and having mountains of sex (just like the old Dallas show), or you can watch Halt and Catch Fire and see a depiction of barely legal kids having some beer, throwing in some casual sex, dealing with realistic money issues, and then ask yourself, "Where do I fit in in this imaginary world of the eighties recreated?" All the while knowing that if you 'could' fit in with the Dallas cast, you're proper residence in all likelihood ought to be jail, but not H&CF, because as we all know, anyone that is anyone has committed bank fraud! I hope you guys liked this review. I don't write many, and I'm always serious. :) Thank you, Thomas Gutzke. Expand
  30. Jun 7, 2015
    I absolutely love this show. I was literally addicted to it! 5 of 5 stars! Great cast. Lee Pace as Joe is amazing! You will love all the characters and the plot. They are now on season 2 and episode 2 comes out every Sunday at 9:00 pm.
  31. Aug 29, 2016
    I just caught up on this show and it's terrific! At first I thought it was aping Mad Men a little much, but it's transformed into an incredible drama that has both a great plot and amazingly complex characters. Just when you think you've figured out their relationships to each other, they surprise you in ways that don't feel forced or inorganic. Incredible show from top to bottom.
  32. Jul 26, 2017
    I've really enjoyed all seasons of this now, and looking forward to the next. I just wish they would play more reruns of it on AMC as I don't have a DVR, and am tired of looking at Breaking Bad every Sunday---come on, give us other series reruns AMC, not Breaking BAD, AGAIN!

The production design around the 1980s and research into tech in those times is quite engaging, as are the brilliant cast. One of BEST series ever on AMC, but now if they'll just show us more of it, along with reruns of Better Call Saul, I'll be happy with my cable instead of wanting to turn it off.
  33. Sep 6, 2016
    I watched the first three episodes and came away feeling very little. Is there a compelling plot tucked away? Maybe...but the third episode alone killed any momentum the show had built to that point. I don't buy the young female programmer. Her homeless backstory makes no sense. The lead character is supposed to be some sort of visionary leader, but he just comes across as a smarmy guy whoI watched the first three episodes and came away feeling very little. Is there a compelling plot tucked away? Maybe...but the third episode alone killed any momentum the show had built to that point. I don't buy the young female programmer. Her homeless backstory makes no sense. The lead character is supposed to be some sort of visionary leader, but he just comes across as a smarmy guy who I can't imagine wanting to follow. The punk-heavy music of the third episode is also meant to startle, and all it really does is irritate. I think the writers forgot to make the show fun to watch when they wrote this thing. So yes, there could be a decent plot lurking in here, but the path to get there needs to be more fun than what I've seen. Expand
  34. Jan 24, 2017
    1983, la préhistoire de la micro-informatique... c'était un véritable petit chaudron un peu (peut-être) comme peut l'être l'avènement de la réalité gerbuelle incessamment sous peu bientôt... ou pas. Un jour... La difficulté de créer et de lancer une nouvelle machine est admirablement rendue et restituée dans cette série, ce saut dans l'inconnu et ses ambitions démesurées, les défis et les1983, la préhistoire de la micro-informatique... c'était un véritable petit chaudron un peu (peut-être) comme peut l'être l'avènement de la réalité gerbuelle incessamment sous peu bientôt... ou pas. Un jour... La difficulté de créer et de lancer une nouvelle machine est admirablement rendue et restituée dans cette série, ce saut dans l'inconnu et ses ambitions démesurées, les défis et les sacrifices que cela comporte.

Ici, ça se passe à Dallas et justement, on se croirait dans "Dallas", ouais Dallas avec JR, Bobby et tutti quanti. Je me doute bien que les coups de putes, les entourloupes et les tours de passe-passe sont sûrement légion dans les entreprises américaines au taquet mais tout de même, les personnages de cette série sont tous dignes de jouer dans Dallas et non, ce n'est pas un compliment.

Cela signifie qu'on sombre dans une caricature permanente du premier au dernier épisode (de la première saison en tout cas !) et qu'à cet égard Joe et Cameron remportent la palme ! Voir tous ces personnages se faire de telles saloperies puis se raccommoder et se taper dans le dos, coucher et découcher, sabrer le champagne et que sais-je encore, laisse pantois et fortement dubitatif. Notez que les acteurs ne sont pas en cause et se révèlent tous excellents : le souci est à voir du côté de l'écriture outrée...

Peut-être est-ce spécifique au Texas me direz-vous : au Texas, on est comme ça : on profère des menaces de mort dès qu'on hausse le ton et quand on aime pas ces sales voitures japonaises, on fait une fête entre nous et on file des coups de masse sur une Datsun. Chacun son tour. On aime bien rigoler, ouais ouais.

Néanmoins, tous ces aspects excessifs participent au rythme sans faille de l'aventure d'autant que la mise en scène est assurément soignée mais on aurait aimé une approche plus sereine tout en restant un minimum réaliste. Là, on retient surtout que les gens de ce milieu sont tous des tarés et que les heures supp' (non payées) les rendent fous.

Ce n'est pas le réalisme mais la crédibilité qui prend un coup sévère sur la tête. On a trop souvent l'impression d'assister à une thérapie de groupe de névropathes dans Halt and catch fire. Espérons qu'ils soient vraiment guéris dans la prochaine saison.
  35. Jun 4, 2017
    I grew up in the era of the original PC, the BBS evolution, and onward. This show captures the high points of the drama I remember from the media, in a way that tweaks the imagination of my younger nerd. While not history, the gist of the series emits an air of authenticity, at least for me.

The set dressing and casting of the show is also spot on, feeling very much like the tech scene of my youth. If you're a hacker at heart, this show is one of the shows that will remind you of where hackers came from.

1. Reviewed by: Rob Lowman
    Aug 22, 2016
    During the first two years, Halt and Catch Fire has smoldered, sometimes frustratingly so, but has always been engaging, often thanks to the performances of Bishé and Davis. Judging by five episodes of season three, it looks like the show is finally catching fire.
  2. Reviewed by: Chris Cabin
    Jun 23, 2014
    With little exception, MacMillan is the sole character given scenes that seek to bring out his antic inner life, the most memorable of which being his meltdown in an electronics store, where he tries to find a hold of his ambition in a torrent of comingled rhythms emanating from various speakers.
  3. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Jun 2, 2014
    The thrill comes not from the actual computer building, but the people doing the building. These characters are complex and well-developed, especially Pace’s fiery exec, who is a mesmerizing manipulator.